DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4887 Old 06-19-2006, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just installed software today so still learning.
I accidentaly did the scan my hd on the music side 2x so now when I go into the thumbnail view, I have 2 copies of all my music cd albums.

How do I go about 'cleaning' it up so there is only 1 copy now?

I know dumb mistake, but as I just added an album to my server, I wanted to make sure it would be added to the xbox in the other room. Stupid me for figuring that it would only look for new albums when I did the update.....LOL

My 'theater for 2' mini setup
e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
x-meridian (modded opamps, cap bypass)
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4887 Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 PM

also:
I have thousands of .wmv files on my computer.... sure you can guess what they are....
How do I get xbmc to generate the thumbnails like windows does?
With Ja Phul's help I was able to get the thumbnails for all my dvd's... but can't get it to generate the thumbnails for my .wmv files---not dvd's!

e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #633 of 4887 Old 06-19-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried to find a way to generate thumbnails for the anime avi files i had, I was going to find a way to extract the thumbs.db file windows generate for their thumbs but it only gets the first frame and in most cases, its a black frame, but I found software called "media resizer" that seemed to work "ok" however, it wasn't able correctly generate thumbs for all my file types and seemed kind of buggy.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #634 of 4887 Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhost View Post

just installed software today so still learning.
I accidentaly did the scan my hd on the music side 2x so now when I go into the thumbnail view, I have 2 copies of all my music cd albums.

How do I go about 'cleaning' it up so there is only 1 copy now?

I know dumb mistake, but as I just added an album to my server, I wanted to make sure it would be added to the xbox in the other room. Stupid me for figuring that it would only look for new albums when I did the update.....LOL

There is a clean music library option under the music settings that should accomplish this...

Sean
post #635 of 4887 Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 AM

As there isn't really a way to generate thumbnails for .wmv files as of yet....
Is it possible to run the 'real' xbox media center from ms on my moded box alongside the xbmc?
That would allow me to switch between programs so that when i want to watch video's I have all my thumbnails for video's using the ms program and then use xbmc for dvd's...

Has anyone tried this before?

e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #636 of 4887 Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 PM

It is my understanding that you can run the MS Media Center Extender software on your modded xbox. The problem may be finding it..... By the way, I am pretty sure you have to have a computer running Media Center for this to work....
post #637 of 4887 Old 06-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty6595 View Post

It is my understanding that you can run the MS Media Center Extender software on your modded xbox. The problem may be finding it..... By the way, I am pretty sure you have to have a computer running Media Center for this to work....

I do have the software as I had purchased the kit when it first came out. I remember being so excited, and then immediately so bummed that it wouldn't stream the dvd's....
I also have a server with all my dvd's etc, and that does indeed run mce2k5. It's the box that my xbmc currently 'connects' to in order to stream my junk.

There was a thread that I came across on another forum saying that it was possible, but no directions were given at all. I really don't want to attempt it on my own and mess up what I have now as I'm loving xbmc, and it took me forever to get it right.

e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #638 of 4887 Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't see how running XBOX Media Center Extender would be a problem. It should be similar to just running a game. I bought the extender kit but never opened the software, just wanted the remote.

post #639 of 4887 Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM

dreamhost,

I have the kit, and no, you don't have to worry about it ruining your modded XBOX. It runs like a game in memory and does not make any permanent changes to your xbox setup. The fact that it's software based is a blessing in that sense, but also curse - it runs S L O W L Y. I've also noticed it doesn't seem to handle wireless streaming as well as XBMC. XBMC for me will stream files flawlessly, the Media Center extender will sometimes complain of "network congestion".

Keep in mind that the Extender only plays a limited number of file types for video - basically mpeg1, mpeg2, and WMV. In theory something like transcoder 360 could be used to display and play your DivX/Xvid files to the XBOX just as it will to the 360, but with XBMC as great as it is that seems like sort of a pointless exercise.

I use it mostly to stream TV shows I've recorded on my Media Center 2005 PC (which XBMC cannot play AFAIK), and for this it seems to work ok. The remote is excellent and works nicely with XBMC - it's light-years ahead of the DVD remote that comes with the XBOX DVD kit. The extra buttons make using XBMC with a remote much more pleasant - there are dedicated buttons for mute, volume control, page up/down, and even a power button when you want to shut down XBMC. There are "shortcut buttons" that will take you directly to My Music, My Videos, and My Pictures.

The remote is very similar to the true Media Center remotes that you see packaged with some PC TV tuner cards and some Media Center PCs. However, you cannot use one of those with XBMC - it *has* to be the remote from the kit since it requires the same dongle as comes with the DVD kit to work.

I managed to get mine off ebay, and you can probably find one there if you look. You're not going to find it in retail stores anymore, I'm afraid. If you can't find it there, I believe RCA dvd player remote codes will work with the XBOX dongle. You could try getting an inexpensive universal remote and trying some of the RCA codes. The XBMC documentation also describes how you can use universal remote codes to customize XBMC's behavior with universal remotes.

Julie
post #640 of 4887 Old 06-22-2006, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI....

The XBMC twiki is getting updated a lot recently. The section on Smart Playlists is getting much better. I figured most of this just by hacking but this guide shows very simply to leverage the power of smart playlists. Note: PARTY MODE is just a smart playlist with its own GUI button. How PARTY MODE controls what gets played is by using smart play list syntax in the partymode.xml

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wak...laylists&v=tep

If you haven't yet tried this on XBMC its pretty cool.... I have created about a dozen of these smart playlists which I have been using and customized party mode to exclude stuff like classical, grateful dead, and various other things that don't meet my criteria for random party music...

Only real irrations concerns the database view or more correctly shorten files. I have thousands of these and since they have no tags you can't use them in the library view or smart playlists. Clearly this is no fault of XMBC, Its SHN problem but its a big one for me as I have probably 600 CD's worth of shortens. maybe I need to figure out how to batch convert these to FLAC's... Good news is more tapers are adopting FLAC although shorten remains the most dominant format on etree.org

Sean
post #641 of 4887 Old 06-24-2006, 11:14 PM

I think of myself as a smart guy, very computer literate. But man am I struggling with finding the "usual places" and downloading from them. After hours of searching, and downloading of IRC software and such I finaly got a pimped version of XBMC running on my soft modded xbox.

Now I try and get a new version and can't get back to the USAUL PLACES. Can ANYONE, ANYONE send me a PM telling me where to go? How to get it? and if you have done it on a Mac... that would be even better. Thank so much. This should be easier, but I am not typing in the right search string or something
post #642 of 4887 Old 06-25-2006, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancarter View Post

I think of myself as a smart guy, very computer literate. But man am I struggling with finding the "usual places" and downloading from them. After hours of searching, and downloading of IRC software and such I finaly got a pimped version of XBMC running on my soft modded xbox.

Now I try and get a new version and can't get back to the USAUL PLACES. Can ANYONE, ANYONE send me a PM telling me where to go? How to get it? and if you have done it on a Mac... that would be even better. Thank so much. This should be easier, but I am not typing in the right search string or something

DONE: BTW The UK FTP Site which is generally the offical release area for T3CH is back online.

Pimped 6/24/06 is out. I imagine T3CH will do a build today.

More of the same: Lots of UI/GUI fixes. Context menu changes etc... I'm not really fond of the new bookmarks features but it can be diasabled. you can now query info on all albums for music like you have been able to do with video for a while from the context menu....

Sean
post #643 of 4887 Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI

I haven't needed 'the usual places' much since getting to know the xbox sky tracker.
post #644 of 4887 Old 06-25-2006, 08:01 PM

I have noticed that if my ISOs are larger than 4.7gb, XBMC doesn't play them. With any ISO smaller than this, it works fine. Is there a limitation of the XBOX or XBMC?

Ja Phule - Thanks for the great posts!
post #645 of 4887 Old 06-25-2006, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't had any issues playing isos greater than 4gb when streaming over the network. Are you playing iso's via the xbox's hard drive or over the network?

post #646 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav Sandhu View Post

I have noticed that if my ISOs are larger than 4.7gb, XBMC doesn't play them. With any ISO smaller than this, it works fine. Is there a limitation of the XBOX or XBMC?

No Issues here. My Xbox plays 7 Gig ISO's just fine off my NAS. (Infrant X6) via SMB. I have no data on the xbox... Certain file systems have limitations on file sizes. Where does your movie live? what filesystetme is it contained on.....

Sean
post #647 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Ja Phule/Sean,

My files are located on a Win2003 file server running NTFS. I am accessing the files via XBOX (over network) using XBMSP with a program called CcXstream. No ISOs are copied to the XBOX. All small ISOs (4gb and below) work file, the larger ones are problematic.

Nav
post #648 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The FATX filesystem on the XBOX has a 4GB limitation.

Since you mention 4.7GB, which is the size of a single layer DVD, you may be experiencing a problem with XBMC. Have you tried a different build?
post #649 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ja Phule/Sean,

My files are located on a Win2003 file server running NTFS. I am accessing the files via XBOX (over network) using XBMSP with a program called CcXstream. No ISOs are copied to the XBOX. All small ISOs (4gb and below) work file, the larger ones are problematic.

Nav

It seems that Ccxstream may have problems with files bigger than 4GB.

See here.

Why not use samba? AKA Windows shares.
post #650 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

What Squidboy said.... Sounds like XBMSP is your problem. I know NTFS has no issues with this. I 2nd to try SMB.... another alternative is to use winrar to explode the ISO into its file components. XBMC will play that the same...
post #651 of 4887 Old 06-26-2006, 11:35 PM

Sean/Squid Boy,

Thanks for your help. With the SMB change everything works flawlessly! I am returning my Mac Mini tomorrow, what a waste when XBMC does everything I need! Completely satisfied.

Ja Phule - Thanks for this thread, I read it on Thursday, ordered the Mod and got it Friday. I'm all setup now.

Regards,
Nav
post #652 of 4887 Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me first say I am no gamer.
I purchased this xbox for the XBMC and my media servers.

After much reading, I copied the krayzie run linux over to my xbox drive

I went into game saves and found the Run Linux,
I started that and first want to do a eeprom backup.
I say yes and move onto the next screen to say yes again.
Then the screen changes to a screen with a status bar across the bottom just for a few seconds and then changes again to a background that has this spinning thing in the middle of the screen, at the bottom of the screen it say's
Backup eeprom
Return to main menu
System settings

Also in the upper left is has my cpu & MB temp's

My reset/DVD eject button turns red in color during this.

How long does this backup take and does it tell you when you are done?
Should the button turn red?

On that same last screen if I click backup eeprom it returns: Backingup

I want to make darn sure I have that backup prior to the softMod, I have not yet tried to ftp into the drive to find it. It seems something may not be right?

Help please.
post #653 of 4887 Old 06-27-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have made it into the xbox via ftp, I have not applied the softmode.
Looking in E:\\Temp I do NOT find a folder backup or a file with that name?

Again this is new to me as for the xbox.
What i see is C: D: E: X: Y: Z: DRIVES with folders & files but no backup

It seems for some reason I am not getting a backup file?

Anyone?

edit:
Not sure why all this had taken place on the backup problem.
I must have tried backup ten times, I now have the eeprom backup files.

Now to upload XBMC
post #654 of 4887 Old 06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1 View Post

I have made it into the xbox via ftp, I have not applied the softmode.
Looking in E:\\Temp I do NOT find a folder backup or a file with that name?

Again this is new to me as for the xbox.
What i see is C: D: E: X: Y: Z: DRIVES with folders & files but no backup

It seems for some reason I am not getting a backup file?

Anyone?

edit:
Not sure why all this had taken place on the backup problem.
I must have tried backup ten times, I now have the eeprom backup files.

Now to upload XBMC

Sorry not familar with the Mod package you are using. I have used SoftMod Installer Deluxe....

Sean
post #655 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 12:08 AM

Diode1,

Sounds like you've got it. Krayzie's softmod is a good way to go. By now you no doubt have ftp'd the XMBC folder into E:/Apps and are seeing what all talk is about. Welcome to the Wide & Wild World of XBMC! Enjoy!
post #656 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok guys here is what I did.

I did not want to purchase a action pack.
Therefore I used a Lexar 256MB Fire Fly USB drive.
You can find these at walmart.
I then used UBSView to read the firefly USB id info
I made two simple edits to the first line in both copies of xbreader.inf
THERE ARE TWO COPIES OF THIS FILE TO EDIT
found C:\\program files\\Datel\\Action Replay XBOX\\
One is in that root dir the other is in
C:\\program files\\Datel\\Action Replay XBOX\\Drivers

Open the file in notepad and go down to [_Devices] on the first line you need to make edits:
For the fire fly here is what it should look like when done
%S_DeviceDesc1%=_Install1, USB\\VID_05FD&PID_DBAE

Save the file, be sure to edit both files,
I have a xbox - usb cable, I plugged that into the xbox and let it erase/format the usb drive.

in xp windows I had changed the usb drivers for the thumb drive and done.
I was able to write to the usb drive via action pack.

Yes I am up and running XBMC
post #657 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

May I ask what is the easiest way to clone or upgrade the stock drive to something like a 160GB drive on a softmod unit?

I think it would be nice to ftp some of our DVD rips onto the drive.
This way the media servers would not be on 24/7 and we could just bring the Xbox with us on trips out of town and have movies to go.

I used the Krayzie's softmod if that matters, and XBMC is running as an application.

What would be the best way to say partition a 160GB drive for this as well?

Jerry
post #658 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

There is a clean music library option under the music settings that should accomplish this...

Sean

I've tried this a number of times now, but it does not remove the duplicates. The program seems to only run for about 30 seconds then stops. There is no way it can go through 250k+ tracks that fast.
So, is there a file I can 'erase' in order to 'start over again', on the music side only?

e6600 oc'd to 3.6
nvidia 680i
8800gts sli
4gb corsair pc8500
raptor raid boot
post #659 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Why would someone opt for NAS as opposed to a Linux station built from the ground up to act as a storage server for the entire network? I could see if prices were substantially lower, but they don't appear to be.

I can build a 64-bit Linux box with 1TB of storage for just under $1,000. It seems that, for instance, the Infrant ReadyNAS X6 w/1TB of storage goes for about $900. And for the extra $100, you get so much added versatility.

Am I missing something?
post #660 of 4887 Old 06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMonkey View Post

Why would someone opt for NAS as opposed to a Linux station built from the ground up to act as a storage server for the entire network? I could see if prices were substantially lower, but they don't appear to be.

I can build a 64-bit Linux box with 1TB of storage for just under $1,000. It seems that, for instance, the Infrant ReadyNAS X6 w/1TB of storage goes for about $900. And for the extra $100, you get so much added versatility.

Am I missing something?

Ease of use? Lots of people don't want to have to deal with administering an extra Linux/Windows box. They would rather just plug in a NAS and go.

I've got an older PC running Linux, and it works fine for me. But I don't mind tweaking, setting up firewalls, etc.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page