DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickforrest View Post

Thanks for the input, guys.

I'm looking at other options, but when you live in a relatively small town, you're kind of stuck.

On the other hand, the softmodmyxbox guys do a softmod + hard drive upgrade for $65 + $11 return shipping. That isn't too bad.

I thought about softmodding it myself, but when you figure in the cost of an Action Replay device, torx driver set, that gets expensive, too.

ActionReplay $20.99 on Amazon...
Torx Drivers $6.00 (google search)
The xperience $Priceless.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Odd thing happened to me.

I recently moved my xbox to another room temporarily for a few days. I've since moved it back into my main HT area and for some reason, my white level (aka contrast) has improved significantly. Before I had to bump my contrast on my 4805 to the max to get it to acceptable levels. Now it's back to more normal levels. Not sure what happened but I'm happy nonetheless.

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #723 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM

OK, I'm ready to get a XBOX and I want to get a chip for it or get it chipped. What are everyon'es opinions? What is the easiest way to do this and were can I find the chip? I've heard that the Xecutor3 CE is the best going now. Is this true?

What is the price for the Xecutor3 CE chip? How hard is it to solder it into they system. I used to put chips in PS1's (up to the 9001 series PS1's). Anyway, If I can do it w/o much problem, I'd rather do it myself than spend $60 for someone else to do it..

Also, would like to add a 300-500gb HD to have Movies and Games on. I am mainly doing this to use it as a client on a network for a movie player off of my PC media server.

Please let me know what my best options are and where to go to find these items..

Thanks a lot!
post #724 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 07:01 PM

I have a Harmony remote and would like to add page up, page down and menu button to get to the main menu of a movie. Does any know how to add this. I've tried lots of commands from the Harmony site using the Xbox, and Rca Dvd codes with no luck.

x
post #725 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharper View Post

OK, I'm ready to get a XBOX and I want to get a chip for it or get it chipped. What are everyon'es opinions? What is the easiest way to do this and were can I find the chip? I've heard that the Xecutor3 CE is the best going now. Is this true?

What is the price for the Xecutor3 CE chip? How hard is it to solder it into they system. I used to put chips in PS1's (up to the 9001 series PS1's). Anyway, If I can do it w/o much problem, I'd rather do it myself than spend $60 for someone else to do it..

Also, would like to add a 300-500gb HD to have Movies and Games on. I am mainly doing this to use it as a client on a network for a movie player off of my PC media server.

Please let me know what my best options are and where to go to find these items..

Thanks a lot!

Is there any reason you are so set on a chip mod? I just got a used xbox and softmodded it and it was easy. A lot easier than any chip based mods I've ever done. I stuck a bigger hard drive in it, too. The thing is great. My only regret is that I didn't try XBMC sooner. It would have saved me a couple HTPC's.
post #726 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzdalf View Post

Is there any reason you are so set on a chip mod? I just got a used xbox and softmodded it and it was easy. A lot easier than any chip based mods I've ever done. I stuck a bigger hard drive in it, too. The thing is great. My only regret is that I didn't try XBMC sooner. It would have saved me a couple HTPC's.

Well, what softmod do you have? I'm open to ideas now. LMK what yours is capable of and where I can get it.. Thanks.
post #727 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 PM

I did an Xecutor3 CE and bigger drive on mine. An LCD and IRDA mod are next on the list. a softmod, so far as I know, won't allow for an LCD. If you screw up a softmod it's a brick until you put in a chip I think (not an expert). IMO, do the softmod and if it fails I think you can recover it with a chip. The Xecutor3 has alot of features and can hold multiple BIOS but so far I'm not sure it's giving me any great advantage over some others. I'm just not doing anything with it that requires anything special. It wasn't too hard to solder on my 1.4 board, I certainly wouldn't do solderless. An LCD will be interesting but not required It was certainly cheaper altogether than my HTPC!
post #728 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post

I did an Xecutor3 CE and bigger drive on mine. An LCD and IRDA mod are next on the list. a softmod, so far as I know, won't allow for an LCD. If you screw up a softmod it's a brick until you put in a chip I think (not an expert). IMO, do the softmod and if it fails I think you can recover it with a chip. The Xecutor3 has alot of features and can hold multiple BIOS but so far I'm not sure it's giving me any great advantage over some others. I'm just not doing anything with it that requires anything special. It wasn't too hard to solder on my 1.4 board, I certainly wouldn't do solderless. An LCD will be interesting but not required It was certainly cheaper altogether than my HTPC!

Yeah, a lot cheaper than a HTPC! I still need to buy a XBOX so are the new ones really hard to chip? Should I get a used one? How much for a chip?
post #729 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM

I just set up uTorrent to download television shows (and some other stuff) to my NAS via RSS feed. So now I have my Xbox hitting dynamic video on a day-to-day basis. Nirvana is nearly mine.

Barry
bjhess.com | PSN: bjhess
post #730 of 4887 Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm running my xbox mod off of the cheapest mod chip, the $15 DuoX2. It runs xbmc and backups and that's all that matters.

post #731 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharper
Well, what softmod do you have? I'm open to ideas now. LMK what yours is capable of and where I can get it.. Thanks.
Here's a link to easy to follow instructions for a soft-mod:
Click me

I'm attaching some easy to follow instructions for doing the hard drive upgrade I shamelessly stole from a guide for all things mod related.

As far as making a brick, I have screwed my dashboard up a couple times messing around (I like to tinker) and I have always been able to get mech assault to load, once I get that I can re-load the savegame and ftp in to copy my original files back. Besides, I always have my backup hard drive to throw back in if it gets too ugly.

I don't think I'm aloud to tell you where to get the files necessary for the mod or the hard drive upgrade, but you should be able to find them out there.

softmod hard drive upgrade.pdf 41.615234375k . file
post #732 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 04:46 AM

Bharper - the newer boxes, the 360, haven't really been hacked YET. Firmware on the DVD drives has been modified to allow burned backups to run and pics of Avalaunch dashboard with a larger drive have been posted. However for the purposes of what we're talking about here it's not been broken YET. It will be I'm sure but given the cost of the box compared to the older one I'm not sure that iot's worth it just yet even if it does get broken - we'll see.

For now get an older one. The older models had different hardware revisions which can complicate the soldering job somewhat if you go with a chip and I think some of the latest ones need a hardware mod to even softmod. I'm not sure how you tell hardware revision prior to purchase other than finding one that was bought "awhile" ago. In the end you may want to open it up to clean it and apply better heatsink grease anyway FWIW and you can figure out the revision then from pics. If you can "test drive" the machine beforehand booting an AID boot disk will allow you to get hardware information off the board too - it can also do the softmod if you choose and install software etc. :-) My hardware was rev 1.4 and was no big deal to work with - it was also a Halo Edition box which has a translucent green case and I knew it was older.

Anyway, hope that helps. Stay tuned on the 360 stuff as progress seems to be occuring there. Just not sure how much more powerful that hardware is or if the cost is worth it but we may find out soon...
post #733 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post

I'm not sure how you tell hardware revision prior to purchase other than finding one that was bought "awhile" ago. I.

google 'xbox version how to'

There's a page (restricted for me @ work, otherwise I would have posted a link) on the xbox linux site that has detailed info on identifying xbox versions from the manuafacturing date & serial number information on the unit. The product label is visible through the packaging, so you can go to you local gamestop & check out the refurbs, & used units.
post #734 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

bharper,

I have four XBOXes running XBMC and all have been chip modded.

Like BLKMGK, I like the Xecuter3 chip mod which allows me to install the LCD panel and the remote ON/OFF mod.

With the LCD panel, I can select MP3 songs without having to have my display on if I do not want to have the milkdrop on.

With the IR mod, XBOX control is strictly "hands off".

I have modded two 1.6, one 1.2 and one 1.5 versions with no problems.

I like the X3 chip mod because I can format any new drive from the X3 BIOS.

Soft mods are just what they are, soft mods.

Just a thought.

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #735 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 AM

I'm having an issue setting up movies that do not show up in IMDB, that I cannot find any answers to. So, I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I have a few movies that are not on IMDB (mostly sports and music related DVD's that I have ripped), I would like these to show up in the same way as the others: Titles, Descriptions, Actors, Genre, Plot, Cover art, etc... I cannot find anything, anywhere on how to edit the local video DB to include this information. I even went as far as to download a SQL viewer to look at the video DB to see if I can change it there... which I am sure I can, but not sure how.

Is there and interface I am missing to make this change? If not, is there a walkthrough on how to edit the DB?

Thanks in advance,
cjett
post #736 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 AM

Cjett - there WAS a tool that would FTP to the XBOX and allow you to "manage" the movie database as well as do some other XBMC tweaks. Unfortunatly when I tried it on the 666 version of XBMC and now my later build it appears to be broken. Probably the best place to ask about this is on the XBMC support board. Surely there must be a way to do this! I'm pretty sure yuo can specify icons without too much trouble - there's a portion of the XBMC tweaks section in their online manual that talks about "wide" icons for list view - that may give some clues as to where to go in order to edit for different icons at elast....
post #737 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM

I have been using my modded xbox for the past few months with no problems sharing over my home network. The other day, when I got home, I noticed there had been a power outage earlier that day because clocks were blinking. Not sure why that would affect anything but my SMB no longer shows my shared networked drives. coincidence??? My laptop on the same nettwork shows them but not the xbox. Anyhow, no matter what I have tried I can't get it to see the networked drives anymore. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any ideas I could try?
post #738 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 PM

I had this happen once before and what happend was that my router assigned a new and different ip address to my xbox and one of my other computers... I just had to go into Evox and change the ip addy for my xbox to the new ip that was given by the router. Turn your xbox on and go into your settings to see what address you have assigned and then go to your router and see what address it is acually assigning, I bet they are not the same....

Just a thought... Hope this is the problem because it is easily fixed!

Scott
post #739 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Anyone know the answer to this? I have a Harmony remote and would like to add page up, page down and menu button to get to the main menu of a movie. Does any know how to add this. I've tried lots of commands from the Harmony site using the Xbox, and Rca Dvd codes with no luck.

x
post #740 of 4887 Old 07-13-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfrat View Post

Anyone know the answer to this? I have a Harmony remote and would like to add page up, page down and menu button to get to the main menu of a movie. Does any know how to add this. I've tried lots of commands from the Harmony site using the Xbox, and Rca Dvd codes with no luck.

Try checking the harmony site for the Xbox Media Center Extender Remote. This remote has a page up/down button that works on xbmc. I have this remote and programmed it into my universal remote (non-harmony) to do this.

post #741 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfrat View Post

Oh, I'd like an answer to the same questions with regard to the Pronto remote.

Barry
bjhess.com | PSN: bjhess
post #742 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 06:13 AM

thanks for the response scotty but now it appears as though my xbox has died. After going in to check the network settings in the MS dash, I rebooted and the screen went pink....then nothing, black. The light on the xbox was flashing red/green. I've done some looking around on this and there are tons of possibilities as to why it is doing this. The most common one is the modchip has gone bad. Has anyone seen this and have any first hand experience with it? Some say that the soldered leads on the mod chip may be shorting.....can this just happen? It's been working for quite some time now. I'm hoping that it's the hard drive because I'm not much with a soldering iron. I do think I can replace a hard drive though.
post #743 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

Goblue97's XBOX problem is a good example of why it is important to have all of your digital equipment on UPSs.

Goblue97,

Since your XBOX was working up until the power outage, I would say that it is not a solder problem. Most likely the power surge that accompanied the power outage killed your mod chip and maybe a component on your motherboard.

Can you disable the mod chip and boot into the MS dashboard? If so, the motherboard is probably okay. If not, probably time for a new motherboard.

If you can boot into the MS dashboard, then it might be time to replace the mod chip. If the mod chip is on a header, the simplest thing would be to replace the mod chip with a new one and FTP in a new BIOS and you will be set.

I suggest that if you have an Xecuter mod chip that you go to the Team Xecuter forum and discuss your problem there as they are very helpful. Otherwise, go to the support forum of you mod chip's supplier and ask for help.

Regards,
TCIII

If you are going to send someone to save the world, you better make sure they like it the way it is.
post #744 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 AM

Tom,
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I can disable the modchip or not. To boot to the MS dash I would just press the power button in quickly. To get to XBMC I would have to hold it in for three count or so. Not sure if any of that means I am disabling it. To answer your other question, I cannot boot to either now. Just to clarify something though. Following the power outage, the xbox still booted to both the MS and XBMC dashs. It was just the SMB sharing that wasn't working properly.
Is there anything that I should be able to visually see inside the xbox that could point me in the right direction of what needs replacing?
post #745 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Greg,

weird when I put my XBMC into NTSC 16:9 it outputs 480iand I leave the TV in wide mode and XBMC aspect setting of "NORMAL" in video fits all the videos properly to my screen. Same exact way as it does when I use 720p. Seems like your TV defaults to 4:3 mode for some reason.

Sean
post #746 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

I'm running my xbox mod off of the cheapest mod chip, the $15 DuoX2. It runs xbmc and backups and that's all that matters.

I have 1 Executer2, 1 Executer3, 1 DuoX, and 3 Softmod and there is no real difference. They all work fine for games and xbmc. The one basic advantage a modchip has is its easy to recover if the Hard Drive dies. With a soft mod this has to be more complicated as you need a working disk to softmod. The modchip can boot auto installer which will partition and format a blank disc which makes recovery easier if the disk dies. That said the last 2 xboxes I added to my system were soft mods and the 1 I use the most is a soft mod.

Sean
post #747 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post

I have been using my modded xbox for the past few months with no problems sharing over my home network. The other day, when I got home, I noticed there had been a power outage earlier that day because clocks were blinking. Not sure why that would affect anything but my SMB no longer shows my shared networked drives. coincidence??? My laptop on the same nettwork shows them but not the xbox. Anyhow, no matter what I have tried I can't get it to see the networked drives anymore. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Check you can still access the shares

Reboot everything. All PC's, NAS, SWITCH, router, xbox, etc....

NEVERMIND: Sounds like power surge issue.

Sean
post #748 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

goblue97,

To be able to help you out, please tell us whether you have a softmod or a chip mod.

If you have a chip mod, then who's mod chip is it? Also, if you have a chip mod, you can check the voltages on the mod chip's pin header. You can find out what the voltages should be at the xbox-scene website. Additionally, if you have a mod chip, try removing it from the pin header and see if you can boot into the MS dashboard.

Regards,
TCIII

post #749 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

With a softmod it is rather easy to recover, just make sure you have a xboxhdm CD made from your drive.
Hook up the new replacement drive to your PC main ide cable.
Boot on the xboxhdm CD
Build from scratch,
Install the drive into the xbox & softmod it.

In all this may take you 15 minutes plus what ever time it takes to remove & install the new drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

I have 1 Executer2, 1 Executer3, 1 DuoX, and 3 Softmod and there is no real difference. They all work fine for games and xbmc. The one basic advantage a modchip has is its easy to recover if the Hard Drive dies. With a soft mod this has to be more complicated as you need a working disk to softmod. The modchip can boot auto installer which will partition and format a blank disc which makes recovery easier if the disk dies. That said the last 2 xboxes I added to my system were soft mods and the 1 I use the most is a soft mod.

Sean

post #750 of 4887 Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Sean

If there was a thunderstorm in the area, and that was the cause of the outtage, I find I lose ethernet switch ports pretty regularly when lighting is close to home. Try another port on the switch(es)
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page