DVD Server using XBOX Media Center (XBMC), DVD Profiler, and IMDB (Pictures galore) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4887 Old 02-11-2006, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Qooop, excellent guide!

The only notes that I would add:

I used Krayzie's Ndure Installer with Mechassault as well to softmod my xbox, and it worked extremely well, though you can also use an original copy of 007 Agent under fire or the ORIGINAL Splinter Cell game (with slightly different version of the installer). If you have a Gamestop near you, you can find these games for very cheap - I saw used copies of Mechassault recently on sale for less than five dollars.

You can find this installer (as well as many other very cool homebrew apps) on xbins. This guide will show you how to use xbins:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php

Krayzie's installer allows you to set up a dual boot configuration between the Xbox's retail dashboard and either Evox or UnleashX (I use Evox myself). You can always load the MS dashboard from Evox or UnleashX if you need it. I don't play games on Xbox live so I am not sure whether this mod is safe for xbox live or not, but I would think that if you boot into the retail dash before starting the game you want to play you should be OK.

I should also note for those who may be interested that you CAN upgrade your Xbox hard drive if your Xbox is only softmodded (I just did this successfully the other weekend). Here are some links that can show you how to do that...

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiver...p/t244043.html

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286

One advantage to upgrading your hard drive is that you can put your original drive in a safe place - that way if the new drive fails, you can always just put back the original or use the original to prepare a replacement hard drive.

Just remember that if you choose to upgrade your hard drive you must select a LOCKABLE hard drive so it can be used in the Xbox.

Hope that helps...

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4887 Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 AM

I have to thank Ja Phule, jlilies and Qooop for all their great information. I upgraded my Xbox last night finally with 100% success, as long as the tweaks I do in the future dont mess it up

Yesterday I bought an original of Mech Assault (used) for $5, Action Replay 8MB card and usb dock for $30 and the Intech HD AV pack for $20. I didn't need the HD pack (though I wanted to see if the HD AV pack would give me better output and I wanted optical digital output), so the upgrade essentially cost me $35.

The process could not have been easier thanks to Krazie's nDure installer. Anyone even considering a media player should highly consider an Xbox with XBMC and I am upset I didnt go this route sooner. XBMC is such a powerful app and unbelievably customizable...you need to visit http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.php?wakka=Index to see just what can be tweaked.

I started the upgrade process at 10 pm last night, had the softmod done at 11pm, and had installed XBMC by midnight. I was so amazed by the features, I was up until 6am tweaking and messing with XBMC!

FYI: I am using XBMC to play ISO rips along with MP3s for 95% of my collection. I also tried replaytv files, Divx files, and other compressed formats and it handled all of them beautifully. If anyone is messing with media players and are getting frustrated by the lack of features or are disappointed by the lack of recent players to the market, there is no reason to wait. XBMC r0xx0rs!
post #183 of 4887 Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qooop View Post

Playing games is really the only reason to use a mod chip to hack an Xbox as a softmod is identical in nearly every way to a chipped Xbox mod.

Not necessarily true.

Softmods do not have alternate OSs built in. So that if you bork your dash, or BIOS you have a major problem. Or at best you have to fiddle with creating bootable media.

With a good chip, you can boot to the chip's OS no matter how badly you have scrambled files on the hard drive. Enable FTP, and you can repair what you have wrought.

That's a safety net I am willing to pay for.

Also, a big honking drive in the box is a plus when you desire to take the box and the content with you. XBMC always wows the other family members when I take it & the immidiate family on vacation.
post #184 of 4887 Old 02-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post

Code:
mkisofs -quiet -dvd-video -V"$1" -o "/mnt/raid/media/Video/DVD/$1/$1.iso" "$1/"

goofygrin,

Have you ever had any issues with certain DVD's? I just tried to run my script (finally got over the file size limits by going to NFS - which had its own hurdles) on Blue Crush and Toy Story 2 and I received errors.

Blue Crush's error was from dvdbackup:

Quote:

Error reading BUP for title set 1

I can play Blue Crush through Totem on this computer 1 out of 4 times, I'd say.

Toy Story 2's error was from mkisofs:

Quote:

No such file or directory. Failed to open Toy_Story_2//VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_0.IFO

But strangely I ran the same script again a couple hours later and it worked. Do you ever have inconsistencies or hiccups?

Edit:

Just tried Blue Crush again. dvdbackup grabbed the VTS_01_* files but skipped the VTS_02_* through VTS_10_*files. No clue considering I set dvdbackup to grab the whole disc.

Grrr...

Barry
bjhess.com | PSN: bjhess
post #185 of 4887 Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 PM

I've got a question that I haven't been able to figure out. I have two (and soon to have more) hard drives on my network connected through a Windows XP box. I'd like to have the listing in XBMC's SMB for both drives in a single place. In other words, I'd like to go to a single location, and see all of my network videos.

Has anyone dealt with this, or does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance.
post #186 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 AM

Hey all:

Is it common for photos to be slow loading in XBMC. My jpegs are about 2 to 2.5 megs in size. Just seem like it hangs for a lonnnnnnnng time, even if I reduce the transition time. Just selecting a photo is taking 5-10 seconds......and to go to the next photo is taking anywhere between 10 seconds and up.... is there anyway around this? Thanks.

Jonathan
Cali

jr.
post #187 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 06:58 AM

Hi guys,

after seeing so many positive remarks about using the XBOX 360 as a media streamer I am looking into getting one. First question though, does it have to be the Premium 360 or can it be the Core 360.
post #188 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 07:20 AM

bout1,

Depend on which file sharing protocol you are using on your network. If you are using XNS or a server application it may have some functions to do what you are looking for. If you are setting up the drives as a SMB share, the only way to do it is to scan the drives and then put XBMC into a different view mode.

For example to see all of the dvds I have on the network, I put XBMC into Big Icons, and sort by title. That way I see the cover art of all my movies no matter where they are on the network.

If you prefer list mode, there is nothing within XBMC to combine shares.

Perpetual Newbie
post #189 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supes View Post

Hi guys,

after seeing so many positive remarks about using the XBOX 360 as a media streamer I am looking into getting one. First question though, does it have to be the Premium 360 or can it be the Core 360.

The discussion in this thread is related to the original Xbox, and not the 360. The 360 requires Windows Media Center and is limited in its functions. I you are looking for a media streamer, the 360 may not be your best solution.
post #190 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanR View Post

Hey all:

Is it common for photos to be slow loading in XBMC. My jpegs are about 2 to 2.5 megs in size. Just seem like it hangs for a lonnnnnnnng time, even if I reduce the transition time. Just selecting a photo is taking 5-10 seconds......and to go to the next photo is taking anywhere between 10 seconds and up.... is there anyway around this? Thanks.

I have the same problem. I wonder if it is the recent build that I am using. I calculated a bad case scenario of 50Mbps transfer speed and the wire time still should cause barely noticeable slow-down on large photos. So it must be a processing issue in XBMC, and hopefully only in certain builds meaning we could see improvement in the future.

Anyone else have more info on this?

Barry
post #191 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bout01 View Post

I've got a question that I haven't been able to figure out. I have two (and soon to have more) hard drives on my network connected through a Windows XP box. I'd like to have the listing in XBMC's SMB for both drives in a single place. In other words, I'd like to go to a single location, and see all of my network videos.

Sounds to me like the one response you received above is going to be the best option for your case.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not using RAID, but I am using Linux with Samba sharing. What I'll be doing is creating a symlink farm which will put a centralized read-only "cover" on the multiple drives contained on my Linux NAS server. I will share, via Samba, the consolidated read-only media symlink farm for client reading purposes. This way browsing from any client (Xbox, PC, etc) wishing to consume media will result in a single location to find movies, music, etc. I will be writing a Perl script to make this all happen.

Barry
post #192 of 4887 Old 02-13-2006, 10:51 AM

I did have issues, but they stopped when I got rid of ivman. Before that, I had to reboot with the disk in the drive to rip it. (what distro are you running? I'm using gentoo. Try (as root) /etc/init.d/ivman stop and try it again.

I've got a small stack of dvds here that I've not been able to rip using the linux box (6 so far). For the most part what happens with those is that the disk never is recognized by the dvdrom drive (light never goes off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhess View Post

goofygrin,

Have you ever had any issues with certain DVD's? I just tried to run my script (finally got over the file size limits by going to NFS - which had its own hurdles) on Blue Crush and Toy Story 2 and I received errors.

Blue Crush's error was from dvdbackup:

I can play Blue Crush through Totem on this computer 1 out of 4 times, I'd say.

Toy Story 2's error was from mkisofs:

But strangely I ran the same script again a couple hours later and it worked. Do you ever have inconsistencies or hiccups?

Edit:

Just tried Blue Crush again. dvdbackup grabbed the VTS_01_* files but skipped the VTS_02_* through VTS_10_*files. No clue considering I set dvdbackup to grab the whole disc.

Grrr...

post #193 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Look for a tool called 'junction' It's either source forge or winternals. It supposedly allows you join seperate network locations into a single share.

I think it's windows only.

I downloaded it once, but it was bit above my head, in the end I didn't need it because I consolodated all my content to a ReadyNAS

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

post #194 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 11:41 AM

I have 5 drives with movies. I handled this by listing separate paths to each drive on the share. I'll have to look at my XML when I get home to see the syntax.
post #195 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You can also use the library view instead of the files view to unify multiple paths....

Sean
post #196 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Another Note....

Craigslist seems to be a good source of local modders. I just picked up another xbox with duox chip, advanced av pack, controller, cords, samsung DVD drive and a new Seagate 160G drive for $270. So far so good...

This one is going on the bedroom stereo where there is no TV so I also picked up one of these for $62 shipped. I'll let everyone know how it works out...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=651981

Sean
post #197 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Does XBMC have the capability to extract a DVD ISO file to a hard drive from the internal dvd drive; can it rip CD's? I haven't seen this feature discussed, but it seems like it would be a useful feature.

Drew

PS: I saw a site about a year ago where the guy had different external shells for the Xbox that looked more like a component home theater system. Anyone have any suggestions?
post #198 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

Does XBMC have the capability to extract a DVD ISO file to a hard drive from the internal dvd drive; can it rip CD's? I haven't seen this feature discussed, but it seems like it would be a useful feature.

dvd2xbox - Great program.

Ricky Brigante
Inside the Magic podcast, Host
Custom Lanyards by Lanyard Lab, Owner
post #199 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I saw some mp3 encoder settings in xbmc, I'm sure the function is there somewhere....

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #200 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericky View Post

dvd2xbox - Great program.

yeah sure, but it doesn't do what the guy asked.

Unless teh iso image is less than 4 gigs. Which is the file size limit of FATX.

Not to worry tho, I think dvd2xbox lets you rip to a share. But I've never used that feature because the xbox optical drive is slow compared to my PCs.
post #201 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Bout01,
Here's how I connect to my 5 hard drives:

Movies
smb://192.168.1.3/Video1
smb://192.168.1.3/Video 2
smb://192.168.1.3/Video3
smb://192.168.1.3/Video4
smb://192.168.1.3/Video5

Hope this helps.

Chris
post #202 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Here's how I connect to my 5 hard drives:

Movies
smb://192.168.1.3/Video1
smb://192.168.1.3/Video 2
smb://192.168.1.3/Video3
smb://192.168.1.3/Video4
smb://192.168.1.3/Video5

Chris,
Do you put these in the xbox or windows xp and what file? Can you explain a little more? 192.168.1.3 is the XP computer right?
Thanks
post #203 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onstar View Post

Chris,
Do you put these in the xbox or windows xp and what file? Can you explain a little more? 192.168.1.3 is the XP computer right?
Thanks

This goes in the xboxmediacenter.xml that controls how xbmc works. The xml file is in E:/apps/xbmc/ on the xbox itself.
post #204 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

These tags go in your xboxmediacenter.xml file on the xbox. See the following for more info....

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wak...nfigFile&v=9l8

Sean
post #205 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM

Onstar,
Yes, this is a snippet of the video portion of my xboxmediacenter.xml file like goofy said. 192.168.1.3 is my XP machine. You would sub your own IP/name and share names instead,
post #206 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanR View Post

Hey all:

Jonathan
Cali

I viewed some photos today off my network, it took about 2 sec to load a picture for me.

post #207 of 4887 Old 02-14-2006, 11:05 PM

Thank Chris, Sean, and Goofy
post #208 of 4887 Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule View Post

I viewed some photos today off my network, it took about 2 sec to load a picture for me.

Definetely to me seems to be related to image size. The cpu has to load the image and then scale it to your TV res. my 5mp images take much longer to load than the old 1.6 MP Images... The whole pic viewer keeps getting better. Creating icons in the old days was tedious. Now its automatic. Slide show features are much better. A little pipelining might help or a fater jpeg algorithm. PC apps like ACDSee manage to do this very well.

Sean
post #209 of 4887 Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Definetely to me seems to be related to image size. The cpu has to load the image and then scale it to your TV res. my 5mp images take much longer to load than the old 1.6 MP Images... The whole pic viewer keeps getting better. Creating icons in the old days was tedious. Now its automatic. Slide show features are much better. A little pipelining might help or a fater jpeg algorithm. PC apps like ACDSee manage to do this very well.

Sean

I was just about to post this.

Pics from the web were really fast, from my 2.1mp camera were ok, and from my 7mp camera were really slow to load.

From reading about the hp available to the xbox, it's not a big surprise that it's slow (see the anandtech beowulf cluster experiment). These are stripped down P3 733's after all (with 1/2 the L2 cache on a real P3).
post #210 of 4887 Old 02-15-2006, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't remember the size of my pictures, but I usually use the max res for a 3.1mp camera for my photos.

In other news, I updated to 2-16 T3CH build last night with no problems as of yet. FF seems to work for dvd images now (didn't work in the 12-25 build).

For those interested in my dvdprofiler to xbmc program, I hope to have it ready during the coming weekend, if not earlier.

EDIT: 2-12 T3CH build.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page