Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG Digital Media Gateway Divx player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-03-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody have one, or heard anything about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 AM
jdt

I have been unable to find anything more than what is on the Galaxy web site.

John
post #3 of 32 Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Anyone tried one of these yet?
post #4 of 32 Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 PM

I have one of the Galaxy IPTV boxes. It runs the same software as the Netgear EVA700 and the Snazio 1350 that I have. I believe that software comes from Syabas, and as such the Galaxy box has the same bugs as a number of the other players. I can get it to play my music and some of my video files, others won't play at all. If there are specific features and functions you are curious about, PM me.

I'm going to start a separate thread on the software that runs on these products. I now have 5 different "network DVD players" (for lack of a better term) and I believe probably 4 of them run similar software from Syabas. I don't know what the Syabas model is, if they provide fixes, or simply sell the code and then each company is responsible for fixes, or some hybrid model, but each of these units has their own annoyances...
post #5 of 32 Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I emailed their sales department on Monday with a few questions. It's not Thursday night, and I have yet to get a response. This has scared me away from the product. What I had asked, however, was:

(1) Does the device support DVD menu navigation? If so, in what formats can I rip DVDs so that I can still have menu navigation?

(2) Does the device play WMA Lossless audio files?

(3) Can the device play Napster subscription music files?

FYI, I plan to stream the media from a Windows XP PC over a 10/100 wired network.
post #6 of 32 Old 11-12-2006, 11:50 PM

I have a Galaxy 3500 and I have had no real problems, just annoyances. The stop button doesn't always stop the video on the first press. I have been able to view many AVI movies and jpeg pictures. What I haven't been able to do is update my firmware from 1.4.10.29 to 2.0.10.41. All I get is the version installed and not the new version. It does not seem to recognize the loader file.

Does anyone have any ideas on why? I have a firmware folder and have the three files stored there.

Help anyone?
post #7 of 32 Old 03-25-2007, 02:10 PM

I have a Galaxy 3500. What it does w/hardware is impressive. However better software would make it *much* better.

Biggest Negs:
1) Music: I haven't been able to play more than one song at a time. The unit apparently doesn't understand m3u files.
2) Videos: Moving around in a video is not obvious. Actually, I am not very sure it works consistently between different methods of playing videos.
3) It will not mount ext2 partitions. So how do you get it to play video files larger then the Windows max of 4GB (2GB is the code using signed int). (I half expected it to as the thing is suppose to be running Linux.)

Biggest Pos:
1) It will play from MythTV's UPNP server - out of the box!
2) It will mount FAT32 (don't know about NTFS).
3) It has Optical SPDIF out for multiple channel sound.

Untested (anyone know?):
1) Does it play DVD ISO images?
2) Does it understand DVD menus?
3) Does it understand other audio formats (OGG, FLAC,...).

Hardware questions (again, anyone know?):
1) This thing has a PCI (mini?) expansion socket for a wireless card. Anyone try it yet? Did you buy the 802.11 from the OEM or did you use another brand?
2) This thing has the target for IDE Data and Power. Anyone populate it and try it? It might be able to be a self contained HDD video player. Maybe even a NAS. Or maybe if a PATA DVD drive was installed, the unit may be able to play DVDs.

Software questions:
The processor is a SigmaDesign with an ARM core. I believe SigmaDesign is common in many Video Clients. Are there any efforts to port an open source Linux to this platform? This would leave the door open to many new open source based features such a native MythTV support or Slimserver music client.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-27-2007, 12:02 AM

I bought the Galaxy 3500 a few months ago (and have since returned it) for an application to stream pictures to an LCD. I agree with your assessment of its capabilities and faults. I did buy the wireless card from Galaxy before I got the unit, not realizing it was a standard miniPCI. Although I used the Galaxy miniPCI wireless card, I'm sure any miniPCI wireless card would work, so don't pay the premium for the card they sell. When I returned the main unit, I ended up installing the wireless card in an old laptop, and it worked perfectly, so there is definately cross compatibility.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM

I purchased a Galaxy IPTV 3500 last week and hooked it up to my denon 4802 through the RCA video connection. The picture quality was really good but I wanted it in component. So I changed it but for some reason the quality was not good at all. Last night I changed the video setting in the menu and now I have no picture at all. Here are my questions:
Is there an external factory Reset on the box? I looked and couldn't find one.
There is absolutely no video output to my TV. Since I changed it to D720i, I have no video on my tv. How can I fix this?
Is there a series of key strokes on the remote control? I'm at a lost here.

What is the company website? is there a contact number?

Thanks!
post #10 of 32 Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataga View Post

I purchased a Galaxy IPTV 3500 last week and hooked it up to my denon 4802 through the RCA video connection. The picture quality was really good but I wanted it in component. So I changed it but for some reason the quality was not good at all. Last night I changed the video setting in the menu and now I have no picture at all. Here are my questions:
Is there an external factory Reset on the box? I looked and couldn't find one.
There is absolutely no video output to my TV. Since I changed it to D720i, I have no video on my tv. How can I fix this?
Is there a series of key strokes on the remote control? I'm at a lost here.

What is the company website? is there a contact number?

Thanks!

Well... I have mine apart, so I can't experiment. Did you try that VIEW/DISPLAY button? You might try to drop back to using the composit video to see if that works. I can tell you - there is no reset button. The home page is:
http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3500tvisto.html
...but I don't know if that will do you much good. The OEM for the processor is:
http://www.sigmadesigns.com/public/index.html
...but, again, I don't know if that will do you much good either.

I like to use the s-video. Biggest bang for the buck comes from separating the color from the luminance. I never though component made it that much better. Also, some NTSC TV's have component inputs. So don't assume that all component interfaces are the same.

I'd say read the manual - ask around - take it easy and have another go - I still would drop back to composit just for now (testing)...
post #11 of 32 Old 03-28-2007, 05:35 PM

thanks for the info. I guess i am going to try hooking it up directly to my TV and sit there and change the tv mode on the remote.

one BIG problemi have is the green power light stays on whether the unit is on or not. the only time it turns off is if i shut it off at the toggle switch
post #12 of 32 Old 03-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jataga View Post

thanks for the info. I guess i am going to try hooking it up directly to my TV and sit there and change the tv mode on the remote.

one BIG problemi have is the green power light stays on whether the unit is on or not. the only time it turns off is if i shut it off at the toggle switch

I wouldn't worry about it. When LEDs first hit the market they drew around 20mA. Now 3mA is common. And besides, you never really turn anything off anymore. Both my computers and stereo rack glow at night.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-06-2007, 09:34 AM

I own the IPTV and I love it. I stream video (mostly HD), music & pictures to it without a problem. If you have the hardware hooked up correctly simply toggle through the outputs via the View/Display button which someone mentioned until you get a screen.

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions or problems.
post #14 of 32 Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrys View Post

I own the IPTV and I love it. I stream video (mostly HD), music & pictures to it without a problem. If you have the hardware hooked up correctly simply toggle through the outputs via the View/Display button which someone mentioned until you get a screen.

Wow, I tried it and like what the hardware can do, but the Syabas user interface is lacking. I wish someone would make an open source version. Maybe I am not seeing what you are.

First question:
How do you play more than 1 song at a time?

-thanks
post #15 of 32 Old 04-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrys View Post

that is exactly what i was looking for, can it play/stream HD AVI files like DivxHD or xvid (encoded at 720P off the torrents ). Since my tv is no where near my pc i would probably play them off a USB Hard Drive (or maybe get a wirless card but Hard Drive will be my choice), so again can you confirm if it plays DivxHD and other AVI files at 720P (not upconversion just standard 720P) off the attached USB Hard Drive.
post #16 of 32 Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Hi...

Was wondering, is anything known about the hardware or software in a Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG player?

Opening the box (which, evidently, the end user is suppose to do to add the miniPCI wireless card) reveals a number of interesting things. The processor is a Sigma Design (www.sigmadesigns.com) 8621L. This, I believe, has an ARM core. The miniPCI connector for the wireless is on one side of the card ready to be used. On the other side is a target for what looks like an IDE interface. Next to it is a target for the IDE power supply (5, gnd, gnd & 12). On the other side of the IDE connector there is a 2 pin target which routes to the IDE connector's disk access line. So, this is probably the access LED indicator.

Sigma Design makes chips that go into other media clients (some, I think, with hard disk drives) and DVD players. So it may be possible to expand the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG player by adding a local hard disk drive or even a DVD drive. (Is the MG-350 also a Sigma Designs 8621L based media client running Syabas software?)

Also, the USB chip used in the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG has 4 USB ports. But only two are routed to connectors. The Galaxy's manual says it does not support USB hubs, so accessing the other two ports might be necessary for some users.

It has been pointed out in other threads that the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG uses Syabas software. I believe this is a version of uCLinux with, perhaps, busybox? Syabas software is used in many other media players. From their web site, it looks like they have two versions. One for networked media players and one for DVD players. Can anyone comment on this? At first this software appeared very limited with many features common to other players missing. Discovering its idiosyncrasies makes it more usable. However, it would be nice to access other open source efforts (i.e. mythtv) natively instead of using UPnP.
post #17 of 32 Old 04-22-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misko View Post

I'm going to start a separate thread on the software that runs on these products. I now have 5 different "network DVD players" (for lack of a better term) and I believe probably 4 of them run similar software from Syabas. I don't know what the Syabas model is, if they provide fixes, or simply sell the code and then each company is responsible for fixes, or some hybrid model, but each of these units has their own annoyances...

Hi Misko...

Did you ever start a new thread specifically on Syabas?

I think they support their software by making some if not all available for download. However, if you don't know the name of the download package you are probably out of luck as it would appear these are intended for the products them selves to download.

So where is this thread?

...thanks
post #18 of 32 Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM

regarding the Galaxy 3500 IPTV DMG Digital Media Gateway Divx player, how are people's experience with the unit?

i was planning on getting one and attaching an external enclosure of ripped movies (courtesy of netflix )
post #19 of 32 Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5000 View Post

Hi Misko...

Did you ever start a new thread specifically on Syabas?

I think they support their software by making some if not all available for download. However, if you don't know the name of the download package you are probably out of luck as it would appear these are intended for the products them selves to download.

So where is this thread?

...thanks

Looking back through my posts, I guess I never did Sorry.
Must have spaced out... I haven't spent much time looking at the Syabas software to see if it can be "customized" as I've been fiddling with the MVIX box in my too little spare time.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misko View Post

Looking back through my posts, I guess I never did Sorry.
Must have spaced out... I haven't spent much time looking at the Syabas software to see if it can be "customized" as I've been fiddling with the MVIX box in my too little spare time.

Wow, the MVIX box looks a lot like the MG-350 doesn't it? I assume an internal HDD, Syabas software built on top of OpenSource software like BusyBox, uCLinux and the like and a Sigma Design chip set - probably the 862x series? Have you looked inside to find out?
post #21 of 32 Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM

I bought 2 items from ebay tvisto iptv and hard drive
Barracuda 7200.8 ST3320620A 320GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA-100, 7200 RPM, 16MB on 3.5" External Enclosure Case 5202 Galaxy Series. I format hard drive to fat32 , but iptv dont see drive i'm getting some massage "SFF-820i/MMC-2 Device Unsuppo". When drive is connected to computer everything is fine, using MY home software too. But directly to Tvisto--no. I send a ticket to galaxymetalgear, but they didnt answer. Any one know how to fix this.??
post #22 of 32 Old 04-23-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arous5 View Post

Barracuda 7200.8 ST3320620A 320GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA-100, 7200 RPM, 16MB on 3.5" External Enclosure Case 5202 Galaxy Series. I format hard drive to fat32 , but iptv dont see drive i'm getting some massage "SFF-820i/MMC-2 Device Unsuppo". When drive is connected to computer everything is fine, using MY home software too. But directly to Tvisto--no. I send a ticket to galaxymetalgear, but they didnt answer. Any one know how to fix this.??

Are you sure you have a Galaxy 3500 iptv box?

I ask because as far as I know, if the the Galaxy 3500 iptv box does not recognize a HDD format, it does not show up at all. So, where did you see the message "FF-820i/MMC-2 Device Unsuppo"??

Metal Gear does not use good names for their boxes and it does get confusing. The Galaxy 3500 iptv people are talking about here is about the sizeof a paper back book and there is no room for a HDD inside. There is support for an IDE HDD but the connector is not installed.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

What you have is different then what they are discussing here. You have the TVisto multimedia HDD Enclosure. Your problem is probably how you have the drive jumpered. They call for the drive to be set as master in the instructions. But that appears to be wrong. Try it set to cable select or no jumper at all. Also if your planning to put movies on it you might wish to reconsider your formatting choice. You will most likely want to use NFTS instead of FAT32 with it's 4gig file size limit. This way you can rip DVD's to ISO format and they will play just like they would if you had the actual DVD in the machine.

Billl
post #24 of 32 Old 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlh View Post

What you have is different then what they are discussing here. You have the TVisto multimedia HDD Enclosure. Your problem is probably how you have the drive jumpered. They call for the drive to be set as master in the instructions. But that appears to be wrong. Try it set to cable select or no jumper at all. Also if your planning to put movies on it you might wish to reconsider your formatting choice. You will most likely want to use NFTS instead of FAT32 with it's 4gig file size limit. This way you can rip DVD's to ISO format and they will play just like they would if you had the actual DVD in the machine.

Billl

sorry but no, i got that small one.

Model# 3500 IPTV DMG - Digital Media Gateway Divx Player.
With RJ45, 2xusb,optical audio etc., to hook up my hard drive (external) i use one of the usb ports but sh.. not work giving me that message all the time "drive unsupported" or something.
i had before 3.5" Tvisto Multimedia External Enclosure kit with hard drive inside, and its work fine only no ethernet port so i sold this one.
Thing is i have like 200 movies in divx, i want store everything on hard drive connected directly to IPTV, without computer. I program my RTI T2C ready to work with all my components . Just that hard drive drive my crazy.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM

I believe this box allows you to surf the web without the need for a PC?

Is that correct and if so what's is it like for that purpose?
post #26 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzaBing View Post

I believe this box allows you to surf the web without the need for a PC?

Is that correct and if so what's is it like for that purpose?

Well, I don't use it that way. I think you can add URLs. Out of the box, it is loaded with 1 or 2 URLs to go to. I think the intention is to find streaming video sources and play those. There may be more features if you use the included CD of software. But I don't run a windows box for this purpose.

...tell you what, let me try it...

That was painful. I reminds me of web browsing on a first generation internet ready cell phone. The page lay out is off and typing in a URL with a remote control is tedious. But then, think about it, it's running uCLinux. There isn't anything close to mozilla inside this box. So what would you expect?
post #27 of 32 Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:

sorry but no, i got that small one.

Model# 3500 IPTV DMG - Digital Media Gateway Divx Player.
With RJ45, 2xusb,optical audio etc., to hook up my hard drive (external) i use one of the usb ports but sh.. not work giving me that message all the time "drive unsupported" or something.
i had before 3.5" Tvisto Multimedia External Enclosure kit with hard drive inside, and its work fine only no ethernet port so i sold this one.
Thing is i have like 200 movies in divx, i want store everything on hard drive connected directly to IPTV, without computer. I program my RTI T2C ready to work with all my components . Just that hard drive drive my crazy.

Sorry, don't know what to tell you. You might try another HDD or USB Interface Box. If you really know what you are doing, you can solder an IDE connector to the Galaxy's board and connect the HDD that way (I would still use an additional power supply for the HDD). However, because USB Interface Boxes and even HDDs are so inexpensive, I think I would try that before picking up a soldering iron.

Humm, there is a problem the D8 macpower version of this board tries to work around. However, I don't think the Galaxy version has firmware support. It would appear that macpower had problems with some 3.5 inch drives powering up in a reasonable amount of time. So they added a jumper and probably some code to compensate. So, you might try to make sure that your HDD in it's USB housing is powered up for a while before turning on the galaxy.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-05-2007, 11:28 AM

I got one of these things a few months ago after owning a Tvisto series a few years now. I am not entirely impressed by it, but the main support I was looking for was wmv files. However, DMR is not supported.

These drives only read Fat32 which is a shame considering the Tvisto predecessors supported both Fat32 and NTFS. Due to this file system limitation ISO files are not supported. More importantly, this device do not quite edge out the Prismiq (no longer produced) because of the array of networkable features it provided. Being that the Prismiq had been in the market for years I would have thought GMC would have had enough time to design a state-of-the-art player. But instead, it's a cheaper design with a heftier price tag. I only state this because I talked to the GMC engineers who boasted about the Tvisto successor that was coming out. Once I started listing some of the features of the Prismiq and other devices at the time and asked whether the features would be comparable to that, they could only concur about 70% of them.

The navigation is archaic to say the least on this player. GMC has a "special" wireless adapter for the device which is a marketing ploy to fleece consumers. This wireless card is listed as an option, but your only wireless option. Or how about integrating it. They should at least provide one an option to use their own PCI wireless adapters as other like devices have been doing for years.

For any one looking at attaching a HD to this device I would recommend picking up a MyBook series. They have WD hard drives in them and are already formated to FAT32.

So word of advice to new shoppers is to pick up a Prismiq somewhere off of eBay. In addition, pick up a Tvisto series for better HD support.
post #29 of 32 Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeat View Post

I got one of these things a few months ago after owning a Tvisto series a few years now. I am not entirely impressed by it, but the main support I was looking for was wmv files. However, DMR is not supported.

Isn't wmv a proprietary format? And did you mean Digital Rights Managment? I think you really want to take this up with the people who created the wmv beast. That or quit using wmv - that should tell those people a thing or two.
Quote:

These drives only read Fat32 which is a shame considering the Tvisto predecessors supported both Fat32 and NTFS.

NTFS is another proprietary format. I doubt people could sell a product that could read and write NTFS unless it was a Microsoft product.
Quote:

Due to this file system limitation ISO files are not supported.

What does NTFS have to do with ISO? However, I do agree, mounting ISO images would have been nice.
Quote:

More importantly, this device do not quite edge out the Prismiq (no longer produced) because of the array of networkable features it provided. Being that the Prismiq had been in the market for years I would have thought GMC would have had enough time to design a state-of-the-art player. But instead, it's a cheaper design with a heftier price tag. I only state this because I talked to the GMC engineers who boasted about the Tvisto successor that was coming out. Once I started listing some of the features of the Prismiq and other devices at the time and asked whether the features would be comparable to that, they could only concur about 70% of them.

Keep in mind almost all of these players are based on SigmaDesign hardware and Syabas software. So it's almost apples to apples with respect to what is out there (i.e. Galaxy 3500, D-link, Netgear, Lighton... all use about the same guts). If you really what to jump ships to something that can do just about anything build a mythtv box.
Quote:

The navigation is archaic to say the least on this player. GMC has a "special" wireless adapter for the device which is a marketing ploy to fleece consumers. This wireless card is listed as an option, but your only wireless option. Or how about integrating it. They should at least provide one an option to use their own PCI wireless adapters as other like devices have been doing for years.

Why don't you try it and get back to us. It's only a mini PCI connector like in older laptop computers. The problem here is that the linux libraries used by Syabas may not work with all the different manufacturers out there.
Quote:

For any one looking at attaching a HD to this device I would recommend picking up a MyBook series. They have WD hard drives in them and are already formated to FAT32.
So word of advice to new shoppers is to pick up a Prismiq somewhere off of eBay. In addition, pick up a Tvisto series for better HD support.

I'll have to look into these devices (Prismiq or Tvisto). What I am holding my breath for is MythTV on an AppleTV. Despite the heat, this would be a real boom for anyone looking for a low cost (well almost low at $300) thin client that can handle high definition.
post #30 of 32 Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Isn't wmv a proprietary format? And did you mean Digital Rights Managment? I think you really want to take this up with the people who created the wmv beast. That or quit using wmv - that should tell those people a thing or two.

I think he was refering to WMV files with DRM already applied. As in decoding them.

Quote:

NTFS is another proprietary format. I doubt people could sell a product that could read and write NTFS unless it was a Microsoft product.

Well the TVisto supports NTFS.

Quote:

What does NTFS have to do with ISO? However, I do agree, mounting ISO images would have been nice.

Fat32 only allows files up to 4 gigs. Most ISO movies will be larger then that. NTFS allows you to rip the whole movie to one big ISO file and then store as such on the internal drive.

Quote:

Keep in mind almost all of these players are based on SigmaDesign hardware and Syabas software. So it's almost apples to apples with respect to what is out there (i.e. Galaxy 3500, D-link, Netgear, Lighton... all use about the same guts). If you really what to jump ships to something that can do just about anything build a mythtv box.

The whole point of these boxes is to keep it simple. No doubt the Mythtv box is a lot more functional. It's just not an easy thing to do. These boxes make it so almost anyone can do this. Ripping a movie to an ISO file is dead simple. And it allows you to to view just as if the DVD was in the player. Surrond sound and all other features present.

Quote:

Why don't you try it and get back to us. It's only a mini PCI connector like in older laptop computers. The problem here is that the linux libraries used by Syabas may not work with all the different manufacturers out there.

Quote:

I'll have to look into these devices (Prismiq or Tvisto). What I am holding my breath for is MythTV on an AppleTV. Despite the heat, this would be a real boom for anyone looking for a low cost (well almost low at $300) thin client that can handle high definition.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen

Bill
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page