Where to get xbox w/ XBMC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 11-08-2006, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering getting an xbox and running XBMC to use as a media extender to stream my photos, videos and music from my PC to my TV/stereo. Although it would be a fun project to do it all myself, I am somewhat limitted on time currently. Can anyone recommend a reputable online vendor from whom I can buy a hardware modded xbox with XBMC 2.0 pre loaded? Also any recommendations on a chip? Alternatively, If I can just buy the hardware modded console, how much work is the install? I am not interested in a hard drive upgrade, as I will be streaming everything from a PC (looking at getting a ReadyNAS at some point).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 AM

PM Sent.
post #3 of 48 Old 11-27-2006, 10:45 PM

could you send me the same info? Thanks in advance.
post #4 of 48 Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Ummm... Me too? Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 48 Old 03-13-2007, 10:54 AM

me too...i am very interested in getting one too...

thanks!
post #6 of 48 Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Guy's
A softmod is easy to do, search your local Craig's list for used xBox units.
I pick them up all the time locally and softmod them and offer free hard drive upgrades.
All my buyer has to do is bring his ide drive they want installed.
It takes maybe 30 minutes from start to finish.
They leave with a custom-made CD to rebuild or upgrade the HD again if ever needed.
It also will let them unlock their larger drive if they ever wanted to sell the xbox without the new ide drive.
post #7 of 48 Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM

I saw the instructions for the softmod. I bet it would take me hours the first time. It might take longer. I don't even know where to buy one of those games you need to do it.

I've seen hard modded Xboxes with upgraded hard drives selling for around $200.

They charge an extra $45 for an Xecuter 3 mod chip instead of the DuoX2. What is the advantage of the Xecuter?
post #8 of 48 Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure where the OP lives.. but I was at Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale (metro Chicago) and there is a xbox mod store there, believe it or not.
post #9 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 AM

I definitely do not have time to do this myself right now. Heck, I'm trying to find time to program my new URC remote at this point. So any info about getting an XBMC Xbox ready to go "out of the carton" would be great! Thanks!

Jay B.

Thankful to be part of this great site!

Jay B.
post #10 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 AM

you can get used xbox's at any EB Games or Gamestop for $99 that come with a 30 day warranty if you don't want to deal with craigslist. They also sell the action replay and used games for the softmod for another ~30 dollars.
post #11 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emillika View Post

Not sure where the OP lives.. but I was at Stratford Square Mall in Bloomingdale (metro Chicago) and there is a xbox mod store there, believe it or not.

That Mod Source store?

I'm in Hoffman (on Barrington), that may be worth the lunch break to check out!

Enough with the PMs about the name...

Getting
Everything
Never
Implies
U are
Satisfied
post #12 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 02:49 PM

I got a used one in the mail today. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work. It's connected to my Ethernet network and a small TV in my home office. I'm just getting an orange light around the eject button and a menu on screen that I can't control.
post #13 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil 420 View Post

I got a used one in the mail today. I still haven't figured out how to get it to work. It's connected to my Ethernet network and a small TV in my home office. I'm just getting an orange light around the eject button and a menu on screen that I can't control.

do you have a game controller or the DVD remote with IR eye... you will definetly need one of those two...

Sean
post #14 of 48 Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Yes, I have the DVD remote and the Xbox is now responding. I found the menu where you can select the color of the light on the eject button and I changed it to green. I don't see what version number I have, nor do I see how to get this thing to play the videos from my Mac nor my Buffalo Terrastation NAS. It looks like I'll be spending a weekend with the on-line manual to figure all this out.
post #15 of 48 Old 03-24-2007, 06:11 PM

I got my Xbox set up now. It's a lot more complicated than setting up an Apple device. I had to learn a little about networking beyond just plugging in the cables. Anyway, it is streaming photos, music, and videos from my Buffalo Terrastation NAS using SMB. DVD menus on the image files work just as well as if the DVD were loaded in a DVD player. FF and RW are very robust. Navigating the menus is usually very fast. I'm very happy so far.

I don't have much content in true 720p, so that isn't an issue for me. I might be able to hold out for the first revision of Apple TV before I have enough HD content on my Mac to justify buying it. Meanwhile, I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.
post #16 of 48 Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 PM

"I don't feel like I'm depriving myself"

You shouldn't since you are now using one of the most forgiving all encompassing (codec wise) media streamers available. Once the 360 is fully hacked you will have the holy grail of media streamers available to you! Yes, the legacy xbox can't stream HD.... Big f'n deal, 95% of the media that users have available is still DVD format and XBMC handles this better than any out of the box streaming solution.....

Xbox 360 is running linux currently and will only be a matter of time before an xbmc type solution will be running. (hoping for a porting of xbmc to the 360 but not holding my breath)
post #17 of 48 Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 PM

I'm not sure that XBMC can be ported to Xbox360. It's on a totally different platform with an incompatible CPU, right? I think that x86 compatible code doesn't do anything on a cell processor.

The Apple TV looks like a more likely candidate for XBMC code. At least it's running on a Pentium M which is fully compatible with the PIII that Xbox uses.
post #18 of 48 Old 03-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Neil, yes you are absolutely correct. Ported was a bad choice of words. XBMC would basically have to be rebuilt from the ground up for the 360. The encouraging news is that the developers of xbmc have said in the past that they do not feel that it will be as huge a task as it was with the development of the original in that they were developing the program as they went along. All new development will come in the form of taking advantage of the 360's powerful potential.

Your comment about Apple TV and xbmc is very intriguing. I will be following these new hacks closely!
post #19 of 48 Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Sadly, a large part of the reason XBMC can play almost anything under the sun is that it uses mplayer internally for everything but the DVD player. Mplayer is capable of loading and using many Windows codecs. Since the 360 runs on the PowerPC platform (like Macs before the switch to Intel, only dual core and faster), it won't be able to use the Windows codecs.

Much of XBMC could be easily ported to the 360, but it will be much more limited in what it can play. Also, MS quickly patched the bug in the hypervisor that allowed people to run 3rd party code, and there's currently no known way (nor is there likely to be due to some of the 360's security features) to downgrade.

If the Xbox could reliably play HD content, I'd never have a want for anything else.

BTW, PS3 is the one that uses Cell. It's open enough that it's likely that someone will get a decent media player on the thing using Linux, but it probably won't be for a good long while, as the PPE (the general purpose CPU) isn't really all that fast; it's slower than just one of the 360's two cores. That means that somebody is going to have to invest the time to refactor the decoding tasks to run on the simplistic SPEs. That's hard because they don't support all the instructions a general purpose CPU does.

The other roadblock on the PS3 side is that XBMC does a surprising amount of work on the GPU itself, and the PS3's GPU is locked down in Linux (all that's available is the frame buffer), so all the work has to be done on the Cell, which is probably possible, but much harder.
post #20 of 48 Old 03-26-2007, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe someone can get "backward compatibility" working with XBMC on the 360...least that will port xbmc to the 360, but likely no HD still....

But in my own way, I am King. Hail to the King, baby.

My Networked Media/Music/DVD Server
post #21 of 48 Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 AM

Wierdo, thanks for the clarification. I've heard many times that the Xbox 360 and PS3 don't make good platforms for an open source media player. That leaves us looking at the Apple TV for the future. It's a standard Intel notebook motherboard with a nice gpu, and doesn't seem to be locked down at all. I'm sure Apple will add surround sound soon to address the main hardware shortcoming.

Anyway, at least we still have XBMC for now to play all of our SD media.
post #22 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 AM

hey guys been reading a lot about the x-box as a media streamer and am completely sold...but am just not able to find one...can someone help me?

i would prefer to buy one that is completely modded and ready to stream...please help me! either reply to this post or PM me.

thanks a ton!!!
post #23 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post

hey guys been reading a lot about the x-box as a media streamer and am completely sold...but am just not able to find one...can someone help me?

i would prefer to buy one that is completely modded and ready to stream...please help me! either reply to this post or PM me.

thanks a ton!!!

Craigslist

http://www.sell.com/2MWGH

Sean
post #24 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 AM

xbmc is the way to go. I currently have 3 xboxs running it and love it. i used an older pc and used Naslite+ to store all my media (music,pictures,movies). I have everything networked using FastEthernet switch, but it works just as well over wireless. Softmodding is the way to go. I got 2 off of ebay. Also got the HD packs for them and dont even use my upscaling DVD player anymore. If anyone needs help or has questions....let me know.
post #25 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Can those of you who consider yourself a videophile please comment on the subjective video quality aspects of XMBC on xbox? Specifically, I'd like to hear comments on the quality of 1080i and 720p as compared to highly regarded DVD players from Denon and Panasonic.

For me I want the features of XMBC but only if they don't impose a qualitative difference in the video quality when compared to the higher-end DVD players.

Thanks!

-brad
post #26 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradesp View Post

Can those of you who consider yourself a videophile please comment on the subjective video quality aspects of XMBC on xbox? Specifically, I'd like to hear comments on the quality of 1080i and 720p as compared to highly regarded DVD players from Denon and Panasonic.

For me I want the features of XMBC but only if they don't impose a qualitative difference in the video quality when compared to the higher-end DVD players.

Thanks!

-brad

Its doesn't compare... The animal you want does not exist... I doubt it will ever exist...

XBMC does a good job with scaling. Where it falls down is de-interlacing. 480i and 1080i look great... 480p and 720p look like poorly due to the poor deinterlacing in xbmc. good news you can run the GUI and Video at different resolutions. So I generally run the GUI at 720P or 1080i depending on which of my HDTV's its connected to and output video at 480i or 1080i and let my TV or projector do the de-interlacing...

Sean
post #27 of 48 Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

Its doesn't compare... The animal you want does not exist... I doubt it will ever exist...

XBMC does a good job with scaling. Where it falls down is de-interlacing. 480i and 1080i look great... 480p and 720p look like poorly due to the poor deinterlacing in xbmc. good news you can run the GUI and Video at different resolutions. So I generally run the GUI at 720P or 1080i depending on which of my HDTV's its connected to and output video at 480i or 1080i and let my TV or projector do the de-interlacing...

Sean

How can you set for the GUI to 720p and output video at 1080i?
post #28 of 48 Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 AM

Doesn't $99 for a used X-Box seem like a lot of money? Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I figured they go for a lot less than that. E-Bay seems to be overpriced too....
post #29 of 48 Old 03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonarD26 View Post

Doesn't $99 for a used X-Box seem like a lot of money? Maybe I'm just being cheap, but I figured they go for a lot less than that. E-Bay seems to be overpriced too....

Seems like the best streamer deal in the universe to me... Guess it depends on how you look at it. What else can you get for $99? used or new?

Sean
post #30 of 48 Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickart View Post

How can you set for the GUI to 720p and output video at 1080i?

The GUI resolution is under appeareance settings and there is a seperate resolution setting under the video settings. This is not a new feature and has been in there for about 2 years.

Sean
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page