TViX M-4000U - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 756 Old 01-15-2007, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To be honest, I didn't, I prefer to watch whatever it is in the aspect ratio it was made in. I realized the zoom button after I made my last post.

Sorry.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 756 Old 01-15-2007, 10:35 AM

The ftp support is terrible
don't try and ftp a folder it hangs the system and requires a reboot
you need to create the subfolder first then ftp the files 1 (one) at a time or it will hang the system and require a reboot. (not good)

I was using securefx to transfer and had to load the files one at a time. If I selected them all it would transfer the first and hang on the 2nd file requiring a reboot.

I have not been able to get the network sharing to work on my system, but I'm sure that's something I am doing wrong.

The Idol
post #183 of 756 Old 01-15-2007, 01:34 PM

My new 4000 is hooked up to my Sony Pearl projector via the HDMI connection.

There is a vertical black band on the left side of the picture - about 5% of the screen width. The right side of the image is ok. Selecting different resolution (720P, 1080i, 1080p) does not make a difference.

I tried using image shift on the TVIX - but it won't move the picture to the left. What it will do is move the content that is in the window the TVIX is defining to the left or to the right - so I can make the black bar wider if I use the TVIX image shift to the right, or I can make a black bar show up on the right if I shift to the left, but I can't get it to fill the black bar on the left.

Has anyone seen this before and any workarounds other than using the image shift on the projector? This is a bit of a pain because I have all my connections routing through an HDMI switch, so there isn't an easy way for the projector to auto-detect the TVIX. None of the other devices I have connected through the same HDMI switch have this behaviour - Toshiba HD DVD and HD Tivo both are fine.

Any ideas?

- Dan
post #184 of 756 Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 PM

I am interested in getting this unit but I'd like to know when m-4000s will be out.
And if anyone has heard if there's any plan to include 10/100/1000 port instead of 10/100, your insight would be appreciated.

This is a very cool looking device - even after apple tv was announced.
post #185 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 AM

Liked: 18
It looks like just about everyones 4000 is autonegotiating to 10/half, which is what is causing the stuttering on high bitrate streams.

can everyone who is able to tell what speed their 4000 is synced at post their results? this is fairly easy for those of you with managed switches, but the rest of us could maybe look at the color your switch is lighting up. green is usually 100/full, with 10 or slower being amber.

im just trying to decide whether to buy the 4000 now or hold off till all the network issues are worked out through either firmware updates or maybe even updated hardware revisions.
post #186 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post

It looks like just about everyones 4000 is autonegotiating to 10/half, which is what is causing the stuttering on high bitrate streams.

can everyone who is able to tell what speed their 4000 is synced at post their results? this is fairly easy for those of you with managed switches, but the rest of us could maybe look at the color your switch is lighting up. green is usually 100/full, with 10 or slower being amber.

im just trying to decide whether to buy the 4000 now or hold off till all the network issues are worked out through either firmware updates or maybe even updated hardware revisions.

Mine should be at home when i get there and I'll check to see if it connects at 10/half or 100/full and post the results here.

I will NOT be a happy camper if it's only connecting at 10/half. I got this device as a network streamer and 10 mbit is obviously not acceptable.

Good News - got my unit and it works fine at playing back both 1080i and 720p tp files (via NFS). Connects at 100 mbit - so, looks like i got a good one.

Jeff
post #187 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM

I have been having conversations with both DVico and DigitalConnections about the network issues. As with any message board, the people with problems are the most heard from. There has been a few units that have bad network interface, but the majority do not. Call DigitalConnects (If you bought it there) and talk to there tech support, they can go through some troubleshooting for you if you are having troubles.

Dave
post #188 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have my units connected via wireless; and will soon be going to the new version of powerline ethernet.

How can I tell if my 4000 or 5000 is connecting at 10/half if the originating connection is a linksys wrt54g wifi 802.11 b/g router?
post #189 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 04:08 PM

Got mine yesterday, works great so far. No network problems, the HD files it does play over the network using Dvico's NFS utility work flawlessly.

Now I just need to figure out why it won't play certain .ts files. It won't play a single one of the HD music videos I've captured recently and a few movies as well.

EDIT: Found the problem, security permissions were completely blank on the files that would not play for some strange reason lol
post #190 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcushing View Post

I have been having conversations with both DVico and DigitalConnections about the network issues. As with any message board, the people with problems are the most heard from. There has been a few units that have bad network interface, but the majority do not. Call DigitalConnects (If you bought it there) and talk to there tech support, they can go through some troubleshooting for you if you are having troubles.

Dave

I have one of the M-4000 units that have the Ethernet port problem and after talking with Digital Connections over the last couple of days have no course of action left other than to RMA the unit and hopefully refund my money. They told me yesterday that they were going to hold one of the remaining units for me until I heard back from Dvico. I just called back to Digital Connections to inquire about swapping my unit and was told they had no units left! So much for the three units that they were saving for RMA purposes when I called yesterday. Guess there are more than three with the bad Ethernet port problems.

Has anyone heard from Dvico about a solution other than returning the unit? I hate loosing the money on shipping if this can be resolved in the field.

A word to others would be to not buy until they resolve the problems.
post #191 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod821 View Post

I have one of the M-4000 units that have the Ethernet port problem and after talking with Digital Connections over the last couple of days have no course of action left other than to RMA the unit and hopefully refund my money. They told me yesterday that they were going to hold one of the remaining units for me until I heard back from Dvico. I just called back to Digital Connections to inquire about swapping my unit and was told they had no units left! So much for the three units that they were saving for RMA purposes when I called yesterday. Guess there are more than three with the bad Ethernet port problems.

Has anyone heard from Dvico about a solution other than returning the unit? I hate loosing the money on shipping if this can be resolved in the field. .

Rod,

While I understand your frustration, unfortunately, we can only do so much until we can at least figure out where the problem lies. Since this item has barely been in country for less than 1 week with multiple reports, we can't give you a better answer than that we are looking into it.

As for DVICO, I suspect they have not had the report long enough to investigate and provide an answer.

There were more RMAs than we thought, and since we can't give you a replacement, we'll be happy to refund you in full including the shipping. Please PM me with your order information and that will be passed to technical support. I'm sorry to say that is the only temporary solution we can offer, especially since no new units are now expected until the end of February and we are completely sold out.
post #192 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The unit arrived today (as forecast by Digital connection when shipped). It was easy to set up; of course having a 5000 really helped. I had already preloaded a hard drive.

Good news. So far, no 1080p sparklies!

I have not had a chance to experiment with the network connection yet. I should have a good test bed, as I can run a long ethernet cable from the router directly into the unit (not the final solution, but since it is in the adjoining room this will be the test implementation).
post #193 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks Kei, PM sent.
post #194 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 08:06 PM

My UPS delivery date was the 15th, so I was excited to be able to mess with my M4000 on the holiday on my day off. Unfortunately, UPS came at 6:45pm, so between taking care of my 8 month old, prepping for a work week, and watching the 3rd & 4th hours of the 24 Season Premier, I didn't get much of a chance to play with the new toy.

I did notice that my unit came with Firmware 1.9.8A. Is there a way to backup the firmware so if I don't like 2.0.5 I don't have to drop to 1.9.5? The note on the tvix.kr firmware page about the Menu key not working when using ISO or IFO's troubles me since the primary purpose is to build a DVD Library.

Oh yeah, and the FTP support is horrible. I typically FTP from the command line, so everything is "one at a time", and I still managed to semi-crashed the FTP service after a few transfers. Semi-crash = I could change directories, but I could not "ls" or "dir" until a reboot of the TVix.

Will post additional experiences for those considering purchasing one of these. This forum was key to my purchase.
post #195 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Just got mine today, I love the way it looks and the packaging. Every time I buy something I think is going to work out because it looks cool on the net I always get disappointed by the crappy packaging. This packaging looks very nice and the remote is cool looking even though I've all ready programmed my Pronto. I got it around 4pm this afternoon but I had to go see a client late, but I'm setting it up now. Plus I got a new movie rippin' 'Crank'. I'm sure it'll keep me pumped. I'll let everyone know tomorrow how installation went and play back. I'm not going to phuck with the FW unless I see a problem, I'll see what version I have and post.
post #196 of 756 Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM

I just got done watching a ripped DVD "Crank". I ripped with no compression. All I can say is wow. This machine is awesome!!! It ROCKS. I haven't messed with any IP settings I just loaded up a HDD and messed with basic settings to get pic and sound and played the movie. Perfect. My Sony 1251 CRT PJ has to be reconverged every time I turn it on, red drifts a little, I've tried to fix it but it only takes a second, not the full convergence just move the red over and up a little, BTW that's why I'm going to a digital PJ later this week. ANYWAY, I notice when I'm converging with my Integra 5.4 DVD Player that the convergence lines bloom a little like it should, at least should s little, anyway with the TVIX hooked up and in 720p mode the convergence lines looked a lot sharper, I thought the overall quality of the DVD play back was awesome, when I player the original DVD in the Intergra right after it had a really good pic as well it's hard to tell but they were probably pretty close. My next test is tomorrow when I can pick up some more component cables I'll hook it through my receiver and play the original DVD and the Tvix at switch back and forth to see what I think is better, not that I care but my ultimate goal is to have quality. I'll keep people posted after I hook it up with my network.
post #197 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 02:33 AM

Does anyone know how to setup an NFS share from linux (fedora core 4) that the tvix can see?
I have the following directory:
/tvixhd1

and have exported as follows:

/tvixhd1 192.168.12.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_squash)

which mounts perfectly fine (in less than 1 second) on my roku hd1000 using

mount 192.168.12.200:/tvixhd1 /mnt/smb/nfs/tvixhd1

but when i enter:
tvixhd1 and 192.168.12.200

into the tvix's network share setup (NFS), the tvix does not connect.

I setup a share called "tv" from my windows machine (NFS) and it connects to that perfectly (very fast and no problems at all).

I've looked at the messages file from the linux box and can see the tvix trying to mount the share
Jan 16 23:10:28 localhost rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1
2.210:798 for /tvixhd1 (/tvixhd1)

(the tvix is as 192.168.12.210) - which looks fine, but it doesn't mount (I get the same log entry from the roku but that mounts fine).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #198 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 03:05 AM

i answered my own question... i remember i had the SAME problem ont he Roku until i added an entry in /etc/host for my roku... did the same for the tvix, now it mounts the share immediately and streams perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.
post #199 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 06:05 AM

Got the M4000P last night and set it up. Purchased a drive for it, since the old setup I am replacing was a huge loud PC with ATI All-In-Wonder. In all I am pretty happy.

I've been following all of the angst in this thread about problems with the device with some interest. These are my observations:

- It's a nifty looking all-plastic unit, and the remote is well laid out. I'm not really accustomed to the control toggle on the front panel of the system unit, except to turn it on-- it's a little fussy as far as I can tell. The data that appears on the LED display on the unit is somewhat useful-- it will scroll the file name if you change files, tell you the elapsed time if you are playing something, tell you the resolution if you toggle the resolution settings, and allow you to do some very basic menu navigation if the display isn't showing (but only if you know the menu layout).

- With everyone's hopping back and forth between firmware revisions, I left the manufacturer's firmware on there. It's the alpha one-- 1.98a?

- I've had a little trouble with the codec support and the hodgepodge of different video files I have around. So far I've found that it won't play Divx with Global Motion Compensation (GMC) enabled, MPG42, and a few other file types I have kicking around. Most play fine, but it isn't like a PC where you can download any missing codecs. I also have a couple of files where there is a black bar or a horizontally smeared bar to one side. Given the number of compression options you can use with most of these codecs, it doesn't surprise me that there are some glitches. In general it looks and performs well

- Did some tests with command-line ftp. I had no problems with putting multiple files to the device, but I am wondering if the problems the_idol was having were from copying multiple threads to the device simultaneously. Anyway, FTP seems to be working fine for me, but I don't doubt there are problems with file deletion errors because there are FAQs explaining that you should do periodic chkdsks when it is connected over USB.

- The unit is pretty quiet, but if you really listen the fan isn't silent. There's a faint rattle which worries me because one of these tiny fans on my PC logic board got worse and worse after getting a rattle like this. Of course it is a lot quieter in general than my old PC.

- On the 10/100 duplexing front, all of the lights on my switch are amber, so I have a lot of work to do before I am doing 100 full duplex to anything on my network. I never worried much about it because the bottleneck before was my ISP connection-- I wasn't doing much between the PCs on my network. I fiddled around with streaming to the device with a low bandwidth file, and it was lovely.

- After moving it from a wired network to a wireless network using a dd-wrt enabled router set up for client bridging, I am not getting to or from the device. It's hard not having a command line on the device you are trying to troubleshoot. I didn't have enough time to sort it out last night.
post #200 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Mine just came in yesterday. So when I got home I played with it quite a bit.
It's a great looking unit with great packaging like everyone said. I like the fact that you can turn the fan speed down. I set mine to the lowest speed as I have an open TV stand, and I will not be putting a HDD in it. You can still hear it, but barely.

Now, am I missing a walkthrough or guide somewhere for the TVIX units? It took me about an hour to figure out that the SMB file share HAD to be called "tvixhd1". The included booklet must have been translated in to English as it is very hard to understand in some places.

I bought this unit to play my DVDs off the network. I don't mind re-ripping them, but so far I am not having very good luck. All the DVDs I have ripped in IFO/VOB format are a pain to play. You have to navigate to the different IFO files and hit play on them. It doesn't just load the folder up as a "DVD" like I thought it would, like MCE/MyMovies does.

So I decided to re-rip a movie as an ISO in DVD Shrink. The ISO mounts and plays fine on my PC. But on the TVIX won't play it. It shows the file name on the front screen, but the TV is blank.

Thoughts?
post #201 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashX View Post

Mine just came in yesterday. So when I got home I played with it quite a bit.
It's a great looking unit with great packaging like everyone said. I like the fact that you can turn the fan speed down. I set mine to the lowest speed as I have an open TV stand, and I will not be putting a HDD in it. You can still hear it, but barely.

Now, am I missing a walkthrough or guide somewhere for the TVIX units? It took me about an hour to figure out that the SMB file share HAD to be called "tvixhd1". The included booklet must have been translated in to English as it is very hard to understand in some places.

I bought this unit to play my DVDs off the network. I don't mind re-ripping them, but so far I am not having very good luck. All the DVDs I have ripped in IFO/VOB format are a pain to play. You have to navigate to the different IFO files and hit play on them. It doesn't just load the folder up as a "DVD" like I thought it would, like MCE/MyMovies does.

So I decided to re-rip a movie as an ISO in DVD Shrink. The ISO mounts and plays fine on my PC. But on the TVIX won't play it. It shows the file name on the front screen, but the TV is blank.

Thoughts?

I think I actually might be able to help this time
I had the same problem using SMB. Then I switched to NFS Netshare and it worked perfect.
I have some ideas on why its like this but to much of a novice regarding network to mention anything here

my advice: try using netshare and it will probably work!!

Safe diving!!

//Markus
post #202 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 AM

I don't care about sharing files, even though I tried to set up tvixHD1 with not luck. I have a hdd in mine, how did you guys setup and use FTP? Thanks.
post #203 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 08:31 AM

Cartierusm
There is an FAQ on the tvix.co.kr site about accessing it via FTP from different FTP clients. Basically, you ftp the device's address, use the username tvixftp, and use the password that is displayed when you press the info button on the remote control-- the password seems to be randomized and unmodifiable.
post #204 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The password is anything but random. It's the TViX' MAC address.
post #205 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

The password is anything but random. It's the TViX' MAC address.

Doh! I guess it did fall in the hex range of characters, now that I think about it.
post #206 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 02:10 PM

I found my networking problem, ME and I used to be a network guy...DAM do I feel stoopid. I ran the Cat 5 over the weekend under the house and found I don't have any more ports on my router so I didn't plug the phuckin' thing in...LOL Anyway after installing netshare I was able to play movies from my massive network. I've got a ton of work today so I only watched 1 minute of a dvd iso from my network and everything seems fine. I am now transfering by ftp dvd isos to the tvix hdd and it says my upload speed is 3600 KB/s seems pretty fast. If anyone has any questions I think i've got this little device figure out for the most part. ANyone know if there is an easy way to convert wmv8 to wmv9 so I can watch DL stuff on my projector?
post #207 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartierusm View Post

I am now transfering by ftp dvd isos to the tvix hdd and it says my upload speed is 3600 KB/s seems pretty fast. If anyone has any questions I think i've got this little device figure out for the most part. ANyone know if there is an easy way to convert wmv8 to wmv9 so I can watch DL stuff on my projector?

I was getting about 3000 KB/s over wired ftp-- what is that, like 24 Mb/s? I'm not too sure about my conversion there.

For file conversions, I've only used SUPER for a couple of specialized conversions (converting Youtube Flash content to AVI files). But I suspect it would perform a conversion to WMV9 if you had the codecs installed:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
post #208 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM

I seen to have a slightly different problem. I am using a cheap switch so just lights for me. The 100 light is lit. I can connect to my windows share (I did not know it had to be named tvixhd1 until someone posted that info) via smb I am able to play my video_ts files no problem (they are all standard def) I made a junction link to another directory on my machine that has 300 folders (all pictures). If I am using smb everything works . I then shared the same folder tvixhd1 with netshare and switched the tvix to NFS it shows me my top layer of folders but if I select the photo folder (with 300 below it) it chokes reboot required. I then tried to play my ifo files (that played fine under smb) which were down 1 directory and it listed the files in there fine but shows black for 30 sec and then returns to the folder view and does not play anything.

Anyone have any Ideas.

I'm a hurtin' dude because ftp does not work that well for me.

The Idol
post #209 of 756 Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it is worth; remember that the 5000 thread has tons of information that would relate to over 90% of what is being discussed here.
post #210 of 756 Old 01-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Following are my observations about the M4000P unit, I have installed a HDD in it

Overall it is a solid player, but some quirks still exits, for example reverse and forward is not as smooth as I had expected even from local installed drive.

I am having issues in connecting to my PC ( winxp sp2). I named one folder on this pc as tvixhd1 and shared it, firewall is also turned off . I can ping tvix player from the pc but when I try to connect my pc from M4000 it gets "cannot connect to disk error" The firmaware version is 1.9.8a.

My pc IP address is 192.168.1.101 which I have to enter as 192.168.001.101 in M4000 since you cannot delete prefix 0's. Can this be an issue. Tvix also asks for server name which I enter as \\\\machinename.

NFS netshare also does not work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page