Mvix Wireless Hi-Definition Media Player (MX-760HD) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 565 Old 02-14-2008, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with dannyv. I have several friends who have bought other devices offered by D-link or Linksys. From our discussions it would seem you definetely want to pay attention to what video formats you want to use. I have found the biggest difference is the number of formats supported by each device. I think so far the MVIX offers the best mix of formats for the money. Happy hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 565 Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Well, what im looking to do, is keep the enclosure connected to my computer (through USB, unless it has network capabilities), just like I do now, with my external hard usb harddrive. My modded xbox is able to stream the movies from any usb/network attached drive, to the TV. THe only reason I want an enclosure, is for portability. Instead of lugging my huge movie binder around, it would be great to unhook and go. The only movie formatts I use are vob/ifo's and thats really it. I don't use divx or anything like that. And music, isn't a really big deal. But if I had to choose. The music format I use is .m4a, wav, and mp3
post #543 of 565 Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 PM

I'm wondering if I can plug in an external HDTV tuner via the USB port on the mvix 760hd and display HDTV content to my monitor?

I have a home video DVD with menus which I have been able to play with an external DVD drive attached via USB.

However when I attempt to play a comercial DVD I loose video signal. As soon as I exit the DVD video signal is restored.
post #544 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 02:53 AM

Hi Robert,

Plugging an HDTV tuner into your USB port isn't going to work on the 760HD. The hardware is capable if receiving a USB-based MPEG stream, but the underlying linux kernel is not compiled with any drivers that would recognize a tuner, and the Graphical "Curacau" app doesn't have any capabilities to handle non-disk-based signals. ...I've been posting both here and on mvixcommunity.com hoping to assemble a developer team to write a new firmware that has these sorts of capabilitiesm, but to no avail so far.

Regarding the DVD - most commercial DVDs have unencrypted menus, so only the main movie has CSS encryption. This is why commercial discs don't play on the 760HD - the unit has no DeCSS capabilities built in, so it can only play back a completely unencrypted DVD. ....again - a feature I'd hoped we could fix with a developer team.

The guys who put together the OpenEMXX86 SDK seem to have dropped off the face of the planet... until I can get one of them to engage, there probably isn't going to be an open-source firmware rewrite for the 760HD.
It's a shame - because the capabilities of the hardware are astounding on this unit, but the capabilities of the firmware are pathetic.
post #545 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM

maranite;

I'm concerned with the performance of my 760HD, on some videos the screen will blink momentarily where the screen will go black for a second, I still have audio so seems to be a video only problem.

It doesn't happen all the time and seems to happen more with television programs played as DVD then with movies played as DVD. The video is being played from the internal seagate 500GB hard drive and is one newegg recomended.

I'm using coaxial audio and a generic DVI-D double link video cable plugged into a Westinghouse LVM-W4207 monitor.

The video and audio quality is great and is comparable to MYHD 120 DVI and coaxial output.

The BIOS is 1.1.27, I have secured all of the cables, coax and DVI so I doubt this is a loose cable unless its the internal IDE cable but I was careful when I installed the hard drive that all the cables were secure. I've allways assumed the DVI-D cable was OK but it could be intermitent.

If I can't figure this out I'll have to send the 760HD back to tigerdirect.

One more thing when I opened the box I found batteries in the remote controll and the tape on the plastic wrapper was loose, an indication that this unit was an open box item. But was sold to me as a new unused item. When I asked tigerdirect about this they said that companies will for quality controll check 1 out of 100 units to make sure the unit is working properly.

What do you think, was I sold an open box, one previously sent back to tigerdirect. I have 30 days to evaluate this unit. Naturally I would be very disapointed.

robertpcx

thankyou.
post #546 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpcx View Post

maranite;

One more thing when I opened the box I found batteries in the remote controll and the tape on the plastic wrapper was loose, an indication that this unit was an open box item. But was sold to me as a new unused item. When I asked tigerdirect about this they said that companies will for quality controll check 1 out of 100 units to make sure the unit is working properly.

What do you think, was I sold an open box, one previously sent back to tigerdirect. I have 30 days to evaluate this unit. Naturally I would be very disapointed.

robertpcx

thankyou.

That sounds very weird to me. Any quality testing would be done before packaging and they wouldn't leave batteries inside the remote. It sounds like a returned unit to me. I've gotten opened merchandise from Tiger that was sold to me as new. I would make they replace it and not be responsible for the shipping costs.
post #547 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Burnerbum;

Have you experienced video problems as I decribed in my previous post with your 760HD?
post #548 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Burnerbum;

Have you experienced video problems as I decribed in my previous post with your 760HD?

No i haven't. But i only use mine for DVD ISO files which it plays really good. The only problem i have is it sometimes doesn't shut down properly. I turn it off, the picture goes off but the unit doesn't shut off and i have to unplug it. This happens very infrequently, I wrote Mvix about it a couple of months ago and still waiting a response. They are the worst in service and firmware upgrades don't exist. Too bad because its really a nice unit. I'm pleased except for the occasional shutdown problem. I don't use it for music or photos so i can't comment on that part of it. I was going to buy the Lim but i've been reading the forum for the past few months and they have big problems too. I do have the PopCorn Hour on order. Due sometime in March. It really looks interesting and seems to have good support. It's really a shame these companies are allowed to sell products that don't work as advertised and get away with it.
post #549 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Has anyone experienced video problems as I decribed in my previous post with your 760HD?
post #550 of 565 Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 PM

Burnerbum;

I've not had any problem shutting down my 760HD however it can take maybe 30 seconds before it will shut down.

At first I thought it would not shut down but I learned to just be more patient with my unit. Takes more time to shut down then I would like.

Except for the black screen problem I've been experiencing the 760HD has lived up to most of my expectations. One thing I would like to see it do, would be able to leave it plugged into a computer via USB and so then through software interface access the USB connected computer, I would not have to disconnect the USB cable to the computer all the time in order to play my media content as I do now.

thanx

robertpcx
post #551 of 565 Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 AM

Hi Robert,

If youe 760 & remote arrived clean & unscratched then I wouldn't bother returning it. It's really quite a good little unit - far cheaper than an HTPC and nice'n'quiet.

ISO DVD files generally play well when mastered correctly. I don't know what sort of encoding you're doing, but check the bit-rate and the MPEG-2/VOB streams you're encoding into your home DVDs - of the bitrate is too high then you may choke the 760HD (and most other players). For MPEG-2 DVD (720x480), a bitrate of around 4.0 - 5.5 is appropriate.

Another quick check is whether your home DVD's frame rate matches the 760HD's setup... if your TV/LCD supports both NTSC and PAL, then try switching the 760HD into NTSC (if currently in PAL) or PAL (if currently in NTSC) and then try playback again.

The black screen at the end of playback is a known issue
post #552 of 565 Old 02-19-2008, 03:23 AM

Hi Robert,

If youe 760 & remote arrived clean & unscratched then I wouldn't bother returning it. It's really quite a good little unit - far cheaper than an HTPC and nice'n'quiet.

ISO DVD files generally play well when mastered correctly. I don't know what sort of encoding you're doing, but check the bit-rate and the MPEG-2/VOB streams you're encoding into your home DVDs - of the bitrate is too high then you may choke the 760HD (and most other players). For MPEG-2 DVD (720x480), a bitrate of around 4.0 - 5.5 is appropriate.

Another quick check is whether your home DVD's frame rate matches the 760HD's setup... if your TV/LCD supports both NTSC and PAL, then try switching the 760HD into NTSC (if currently in PAL) or PAL (if currently in NTSC) and then try playback again.

The black screen at the end of playback is a known
post #553 of 565 Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 AM

Hi Robert,

The black screen at the end of playback is a known issue with the current firmware. Generally pressing STOP, RETURN or POWER-OFF and the end of the movie will get you out of the blank screen the fastest. Like Burnerbum said - it usually takes 30 seconds or less.

Most cheap media players have their short-comings - the MVIX is no excpetion. It is, however, built on top of a really good hardware platform (the Sigma Designs chip inside is a real video power house), which means this: Hang on to your unit if you like it... because there are some of us who are looking to rewrite the firmware to take full advantage of that amazing hardware.
post #554 of 565 Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:

Has anyone experienced video problems as I decribed in my previous post with your 760HD?

There is a known problem with DVI/HDMI output on the MVIX using firmware 1.1.27. Upgrade the firmware to 1.1.28 beta9. They made several improvements to digital output in that release.

Get it here.
http://www.eunicorn.co.kr//mvixfirmw...1.28-beta9.zip

You may also want to take a look at www.mvixcommunity.com. Its a very active community dedicated to MVIX products.

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #555 of 565 Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 AM

Hi All

it is done on the french forum by ArtZ.
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/VideoSo...t_99464_63.htm

after modification of header of the firmware 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 of mvix HD780 you can upgrade your mvix without problems.

but FTP and HTTP functions are not installed.
you can download modified files here

mvix-fw-2.0.0.pkg :http://rapidshare.de/files/38619768/...2.0.0.pkg.html

mvix-fw-2.0.1.pkg : http://rapidshare.de/files/38619949/...2.0.1.pkg.html

Please we need help for FTP and HTTP.

Darkang
post #556 of 565 Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkang View Post

Hi All

it is done on the french forum by ArtZ.
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/VideoSo...t_99464_63.htm

after modification of header of the firmware 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 of mvix HD780 you can upgrade your mvix without problems.

but FTP and HTTP functions are not installed.
you can download modified files here

mvix-fw-2.0.0.pkg :http://rapidshare.de/files/38619768/...2.0.0.pkg.html

mvix-fw-2.0.1.pkg : http://rapidshare.de/files/38619949/...2.0.1.pkg.html

Please we need help for FTP and HTTP.

Darkang

you mean you need an FTP server lol give me some days then i will bring you Telnet and FTP and some other stuff if you want.

cHarOn
post #557 of 565 Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks a lot cHarOn99

Regards
post #558 of 565 Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

ok first step is done i open up the firmware an enabled telnet and an ftpserver but my produced pkg file dont works looks like the header is different but np i will try to make it with recoveryoption maybe this works or i have to rework the header need some more time.
oh and maybe someone can check out if ext3 or ext2 hdds are inside working if someone wants to check it out

cHarOn
post #559 of 565 Old 02-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi All

Here is the Olav modified firmware 2.0 for HD760

http://mvixcommunity.com/showtopic.php?tid/711/

Enjoy

Darkang
post #560 of 565 Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

i already see it so i think i can stop working on that mvixcommunity is doing the job faster
post #561 of 565 Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM

New official firmware for 760HD

http://www.mvixusa.com/support/index...temid=37&nav=0

Any chance of getting a modded OLAV release soon? I can't live without my FTP.
post #562 of 565 Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper75 View Post

New official firmware for 760HD

http://www.mvixusa.com/support/index...temid=37&nav=0

Any chance of getting a modded OLAV release soon? I can't live without my FTP.

Check at www.mvixcommunity.com

8300HD
sara 1.89.17.1
WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
APRICORN EZ-BUS-DTS-EKIT Enclosure
post #563 of 565 Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 PM

maranite

thankyou for the help I switched to pal and that did the trick;

Sorry to have taken so long to respond.

I really like this unit.

robertpcx
post #564 of 565 Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone else lose 1080p as a display option after the latest firmware?
post #565 of 565 Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I ended up "downgrading" my firmware back to 1.1.27 (or whatever the number is) over the weekend because my 760 was just a crap-shoot whether or not it would display the video. The audio was still functioning, but we tried watching a movie 4 times and couldn't get it to work. The first couple times we would get to the menu and when I hit Play Movie, the video would drop out. This has happened in the past, but usually restarting it would work. I went back to the .27 firmware release and the movie played without a hitch. I also had my 1080P setup option back.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page