Iamm NTD36HD by Novatron - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 491 Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys, Chinese version 1.1.150 was posted last night. at iamm.co.kr.....
I tried, it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 491 Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

So it's official. To all Chinese IAMM owners: Please do not download and install *any* firmware located in this thread, since it's the European firmware. Instead, get the updated Chinese version from the official site, located here. Thank you.
post #93 of 491 Old 02-27-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHung View Post

Hi Guys, Chinese version 1.1.150 was posted last night. at iamm.co.kr.....
I tried, it works fine.

Hi Patrick,

Are you from HK too? Do you buy from DVclub too?

1.1.150 can play sub type subtitle file too? I will try it tonight.

Hi Konsti,

Thanks to post the link too.

Best wishes,
Dickson
post #94 of 491 Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi all,

I still failed to open those sub subtitled film. Anyone can help?

Best wishes,
Dickson
post #95 of 491 Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Hi Dickson, yes I'm from HK. and I bought the toy from DVClub as well. As a matter of fact, I got the same issue as you. I got the fix after I emailed directly to a Novatron (Korean) guy. That's why the Chinese version was posted on Monday night.

Version 1.1.150 Chinese version can resolve (for sure) the issue of chinese character display in the directory/menu. Regarding the subtitle file, the manual says 36HD can only support SMI/SUB/SRT (no idx) format of subititle files but the file name must be the same as the video file. Have you checked this?

I don't have .sub file to play or test, I would be happy to help if you can send me the sub file and I can test for you.
post #96 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHung View Post

Hi Dickson, yes I'm from HK. and I bought the toy from DVClub as well. As a matter of fact, I got the same issue as you. I got the fix after I emailed directly to a Novatron (Korean) guy. That's why the Chinese version was posted on Monday night.

Version 1.1.150 Chinese version can resolve (for sure) the issue of chinese character display in the directory/menu. Regarding the subtitle file, the manual says 36HD can only support SMI/SUB/SRT (no idx) format of subititle files but the file name must be the same as the video file. Have you checked this?

I don't have .sub file to play or test, I would be happy to help if you can send me the sub file and I can test for you.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. I have upgraded to 1.1.I50 but still failed. I can show you as below as an example.
[12.21.06.xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE]
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.avi
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.idx
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.sub

I still failed to play the subtitle if my directory structure is as above. Also, I want to clarify that SUB subtitled film must include idx right? or there are two formats of SUB files?

Best wishes,
Dickson
post #97 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Guys, there seems to be a confusion, here. PatrickHung was right: the IAMM can play SMI/SUB/SRT files (named after the .avi) but these must be in PLAIN TEXT format (ASCII or Unicode).

Dickson, you try to play SUB/IDX files, which work totally different. This specific SUB file is not text, it's a binary file that is extracted from the subtitles stream on the DVD. Try to open it with Notepad, you will see. The IDX file (index) tells the player where to go and extract from the SUB (subtitle stream) file the bitmap subtitle for a specific timecode/frame. I could play these with MediaPlayer Classic (Windows) found on sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/). So no binary SUB/IDX file support...
post #98 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonhk View Post

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. I have upgraded to 1.1.I50 but still failed. I can show you as below as an example.
[12.21.06.xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE]
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.avi
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.idx
- xxxx.2006.DVDRip.XviD-ESPiSE.sub

I still failed to play the subtitle if my directory structure is as above. Also, I want to clarify that SUB subtitled film must include idx right? or there are two formats of SUB files?

Best wishes,
Dickson

* idx/sub is very very different from SUB or SRT or TXT, idx/sub is not plain text, and the .sub by itself is just text and you have to be able to open it with any text editor and be able to see text, with time stamp and duration of every line. I did a quick research, because "I am working " and got a tool for you

This is a little description of what you need
http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic...a918f5#1306657

And you can download it from here
http://developer.berlios.de/project/...?group_id=1402

basically your idx/sub is called "vobsub" subtitles

if you could have later any issue with sync, please use my favorite tool for this matter, its name is Subtitle WorkShop it is free and it is great and easy to use
http://www.urusoft.net/products.php?cat=sw
here you can add seconds and remove, move timeframe for every line or just re-sync with an input movie file, it is very easy, you will see. . . .
post #99 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 AM

Hi all...

I've just picked up a NTD36HD and I'm having some trouble with it.

It's connecting to my wireless AP, and I can ping it from my Windows XP desktop... the problem is that on trying to initialize it as an NDAS device, the software keeps telling me that it is offline.... This effectivly means that the only way I can transfer files to it is via the USB cable (where it behaves like an good little external HD).

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Devan
post #100 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Devan78,

Try to see if it works with an ethernet cable. I had the same problem with you, but not on Wireless, on Ethernet. You know what? The device key was not the correct one for the MAC address of the IAMM!

If the NDAS does not work with your ethernet connection, then it's likely that the device ID you were given is wrong, request a new one from your retailer.

Where did you buy this from?
post #101 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM

What happened to the modified firmware that was being worked on?
post #102 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konsti View Post

Hello Devan78,

Try to see if it works with an ethernet cable. I had the same problem with you, but not on Wireless, on Ethernet. You know what? The device key was not the correct one for the MAC address of the IAMM!

If the NDAS does not work with your ethernet connection, then it's likely that the device ID you were given is wrong, request a new one from your retailer.

Where did you buy this from?

Thanks Konsti. I bought it from small vendor in Wan Chai computer market (I live in Hong Kong). I'm not so sure it's a NDAS Key issue... the key I have inputs fine, and if I change one of the characters I get a message saying something to the effect of "incorrect key"... I'll give it a few more tries tonight when I get home, if I don't get any joy I'll take it back.

Thanks
post #103 of 491 Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM

Hi Dickson, There are two types of .SUB subtitle file format:

1. only .SUB per .avi, this type of SUB files are text based files.

2. a pair of .SUB and .idx files which are decoded from the original VOBSub file from a DVD formatted file. This pair of subtitle files are image based files.

So, as the manual says only support .SUB, then please extract the subtitle to a text-based .SUB and test again (if possible)

have a nice day.
post #104 of 491 Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 AM

Hi Guys, my 36HD works fine, please be sure you did not input the wrong device key (there are 2 keys, one for wired, one for wireless). Also be sure you install the NAS software correctly. Cep does not automatically mount the 36HD, you have to manually mount it to read or read/write mode after the network connected.

Also, 36HD has its own OS to memorise the network status. If you plug and unplug the ethernet cable or the the wireless link lost because of transmission error, 36HD cannot refresh the directory content even thought you have modified it from your PC. You have to power it off and on again.

I am going to reflect this problem to iamm/novatron. I believe this is a very new product and it needs tunning of the firmware.
post #105 of 491 Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding the NDAS problems: in my case, the key that was issued for *wired* was a valid one, but for the wrong MAC hardware address, i.e. not for my IAMM. So even if the key is entered correctly, being a valid, it does not correspond to your ethernet/wireless hardware address.

The provided keys worked on my wireless but not on my wired connection, and throught Google digging, I realised the code was wrong. I requested and obtained a new one, via my reseller (eBay and I can tell you it was quite hard....)
post #106 of 491 Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:

Regarding the NDAS problems: in my case, the key that was issued for *wired* was a valid one, but for the wrong MAC hardware address, i.e. not for my IAMM. So even if the key is entered correctly, being a valid, it does not correspond to your ethernet/wireless hardware address.

The provided keys worked on my wireless but not on my wired connection, and throught Google digging, I realised the code was wrong. I requested and obtained a new one, via my reseller (eBay and I can tell you it was quite hard....)

Konsti, thanks again....

I tried wiring it up, and the NDAS works fine, it looks like the key on the bottom of my box only works for the wired NIC's MAC. I've emailed IAMM support and asked them how I'd get the wireless key... if they can't supply it, I guess I'll have to go back to the shop I bought it from.

Thanks again!
post #107 of 491 Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Good morning to all. Phew, Antivirus, please give us an update on your private work... it would be nice to know and applaud your efforts!

Devan78: keep bugging Novatron. I think the guy who was labelling the Device IDs there, made a lot of mistakes. Since the IAMM plays fine, it's better to let Novatron know of their mistakes, rather than having the shop exchange it. What happens if the new IAMM has the same problem?
post #108 of 491 Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 AM

Hi Konsti, Patrick,

Thanks a lot for you guys explanation. I just know SUB is different from SUB/IDX now. Sorry for off topic questions as I am not quite familiar about SUB. Any recommended way to convert SUB/IDX to SRT with good OCR of chinese character? I try some software but not look need a lot of effort to correct the OCR.

Best wishes,
Dickson
post #109 of 491 Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:

Good morning to all. Phew, Antivirus, please give us an update on your private work... it would be nice to know and applaud your efforts!

Devan78: keep bugging Novatron. I think the guy who was labelling the Device IDs there, made a lot of mistakes. Since the IAMM plays fine, it's better to let Novatron know of their mistakes, rather than having the shop exchange it. What happens if the new IAMM has the same problem?

Finally got it, works fine (if a little sluggish) over the wireless now.

Here's a quick step-by-step on how to get at the firmware. I didn't actually have a Linux computer with me at the time, so I booted up an Ubuntu live CD (free to download from Ubuntu's site) and used two memory sticks as I'd saved the file to one using a Windows machine but it can only be copied across accurately to a Linux (ext2) file system for sake of preserving symlinks and the like when editing.

1) download the latest version from with iamm/novatronic website

2) unzip it (should leave you a directory with a .pkg file in it.)

3) open the file up using a hex editor and remove everything (mostly padding 00's) before the first occurrence of the string "1F8B" and the save the edited fire as FOO.gz

4) extract FOO.gz and you'll be left with a .bin file. This is the read-only ROMFS image file.

5) issue the following "mkdir /tmp/romfs" to give the soon to be mounted image a place to live.

6) issue the following: "sudo mount -o loop rompkg_pack_tmp.bin /tmp/romfs/". This mounts the filesystem (read only) at /tmp/romfs.

7) issue the following: "cp -a -r /tmp/romfs/ /tmp/editablefs". This copies all the files and structure of the read-only ROMFS image and puts them in read-write directory called "/tmp/editablefs"... congratulations you can now change things to your heart's content.

I'll do a post on how to put it all back together for uploading when I've got the time to play with it a little more. Standard disclaimers apply, I'm not a Linux-person so don't take anything I say as law, and most importantly, don't blame me if you break anything

--
Devan
vvvvvv.phuk.us
post #110 of 491 Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 AM

Just a quick question I am having serious issues with my NTD it always locks up lately especially when connected to my Optoma HD70 projector. It never really did that with my Samsung TV. So my question is do you think it will be safe to just lleave the NTD on cause everytime I turn it off I have to play around with it etc and its really annoying. I have updated the firmware and its still the same thing.

Or is it that I have a defective unit?
post #111 of 491 Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Hello themarques, my opinion is that you should seek a firmware update for your Optoma, too. I have not connected the IAMM to any projector, only via component RCAs to my TV. Why don't you try the same?

In the past, I remember hearing problems about devices that can't properly talk to each other via DVI or HDMI. So make sure your Optoma has the latest firmware... Which resolution is locking up? 1080i/p? This is something new as support to latest devices, so I would (unfortunately) expect to encounter problems...

Anyone else with a projector and the IAMM via DVI or component?
post #112 of 491 Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

And a final note: don't leave the IAMM running for a long period of time. I don't trust the cooling mechanism of the design. The small fan at the rear does not do a great job cooling it. I had it running for 2 days and it started producing errors on the filesystem (via NDAS connection). A hot HDD for a long period of time is not good for its lifespan.
post #113 of 491 Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 AM

I have a strange problem. Certain MP3 files when played simply forward the "selector" all the way to the end of the folder... (not jumping to the last file, simply scrolling through all the files in the diretory until the last one is reached). I've removed, re-added these mp3s, but it still presents the same problem...

I've also noticed that playing mp3s through the unit into my TV (and out through my DV/surround system) introduces a lot of distortion, making it sound like the speakers are having trouble handling it (even on extrememly low volume)... I don't have the same problem playing video files though, strange.

Anybody else seen either of these symptoms?

--
Devan
post #114 of 491 Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 AM

Hi guys, great forum.

I'm another new owner of a IAMM player, and I am following your discussion regarding unoficcial patched firmware versions.

Any chance of a patched firmware update that is possible to install without any linux knowledge - but maybe packaged for all us dull xp users?

If that is possible, I would love to host and manage a page dedicated to this development (of course in deep collaboration with AVforum ).

Best regards,
Fab
post #115 of 491 Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Fab7000 and welcome. We will keep you posted of any changes, so far the two people dealing with the firmware are Antivirus and Phew, but their hands seem tied down lately.

Devan78, let us know more details about your MP3 files. The fact that the file selector 'slides' to the bottom means that the IAMM does not recognise the files as audio encoded with MP3. Play them on your computer with Media Player Classic, and find out (Shift+F10) more about the details, encoding, bitrate etc. I think they must not really be proper MP3 files.

The IAMM is supposedly able to play both constant and variable bitrates, so the fact that it doesn't *like* some MP3 files, means clearly that they don't even comply to the standard.

Do not be fooled by the fact that some files are playable on the PC but not on other machines. The computer software is very forgiving to some errors, but consumer products may be not. So non-compliant files, or discs etc. may play on the PC but not on other devices.

Regarding the problem with the audio: I think I found what it is. The programmers at Novatron may need to lower the output of the audio converter. DON'T PUT THE VOLUME LEVEL TO THE MAXIMUM, via the remote of the IAMM. Keep it two 'clicks' below the maximum, you will notice a significant improvement on the clarity of the sound. I think the firmware distorts the sound due to high amplification on the device...
post #116 of 491 Old 03-20-2007, 01:17 PM

Konsti,

A few posts ago you were refering to the fonts within the FW.

There are two font file within the FW one 16 bit wide and the other 24 bit wide.
They don't appear to be of any sort of standard that I could tell, but they are just simple bitmat fonts.

Is your plan to try and re-create the fonts?
This will read in arial & output bitmap, but not the same types of file as used on the iamm...you could with a bit of hex editing get the job done though:
http://www.iseatech.com/
post #117 of 491 Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Dear phew, thanks for your post and PM!

I remember when tweaking the Pioneer DVD player firmware, based on the MTK chipset, I found a tool called MtkFontCreator that could generate those bitmaps. Unfortunately, the fonts you sent me (osd.8859.xxx.font) don't comply to that standard.

I also downloaded the BitMapFontCreator 1.6 from the site you mentioned, but no luck either, it's not a format supported.

It has to do with linux, this binary bitmap must be decoded in terms of format, how it is structured. Sure, a hex editor may do, like WinHex, but I must be able to read the structure and believe me, hex-editing it may take weeks...

Is there a way you can find out the binary file format? Once we find a software suitable to open and read these binaries, I can then try to generate from my Greek Windows machine the Extended ASCII characters for Greek subtitle support...

Thanks again! Any ides, anyone?
post #118 of 491 Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM

@Fab7000
I too use XP most of the time, but very occasionally venture into Linux.
If you want a copy with telnet &/or pure-ftpd them PM me.

@Konsti
Never before have I got 'into' fonts, but I see what you mean. They are rather bad; when you look closely.

Although there seems to be two sets of fonts (2 standard? and 2 big), these fonts compare exactly, so really there are only two fonts used 'standard' & 'big' .

If you have a particular character set that needs importing then let me know and I'll have a look see.
post #119 of 491 Old 03-23-2007, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Dear Phew, thanks for your research on the fonts.

I think that the subtitle fonts that I am interested in, must be special fonts of two colours, one for the letter itself (e.g. white) and one for the contour (e.g. black). The OSD fonts are the menu and screen fonts (lists, windows etc.) and there's no real meaning in tampering with them. Perhaps only fix the bloody problem with punctuation marks, like dot [.] dash [-] brackets, parentheses etc.

What I was hoping to do, just like others for the MTK-based DVD players, is to compile/convert a truetype (Windows) font (e.g. Tahoma or Arial) to Greek ANSI bitmap and have the second half (character 132 to 255) pasted into the current font. This way, greek codepage subtitles will play flawlessly. This is what the people at http://mtz.softpedia.com/ did for many players--amazing job.

Finally, I would really wish that the from subtitle text are ignored, e.g. and for italics and and for bold, because they are currently not ignored. This will save all us time from removing them via Notepad, for example.

Those Novatron engineers don't think as customers, yet
post #120 of 491 Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 AM

Hi guys,

Once again, thanks for a splendid forum.

I was wondering - I've attached an external USB disk to one of the USB slots on the IAMM. It works fine, can see all the files on my TV set. The IAMM is set up to wireless, and I use the NDAS software to share files from the internal harddisk of the IAMM. Big success !

However, I would like to share the contents of the *external* USB disk I've attached to the USB slot on the IAMM, so that I can see the files on my PC. I can't figure a way of setting that up in the IAMM, so i thought maybe i could access it by using a direct path a la e:/USB1-1 or something?

Can I access an external harddisk attached to the IAMM from my PC using NDAS or whatever?

Any of you got a clue ?

By the way, I met with some Korean guys from Zoe Networks at CeBit in Hannover a week ago. They pretended they didn't know about the IAMM, although it's almost the same box as their Eureka and you could tell get got uneasy that I mentioned the similarities. If you want to contact them, I got their businesscards. Let me know.

Best regards,
Fab
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page