Dlink DSM-520 Features Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking to purchase this however am not quite sure about its functionality.

Will this enable me to watch live streaming video on my tv? I usually use winamp to watch streaming video and would like to watch it on my TV. I currently have a low cost pc to tv connector but it doesn't have a remote or anything. The streams are in H.264 format which i believe is also called MPEG4. I am very new to this so please do let me know if this information isn't sufficient to answer my question.

In addition to the above I also have some movies stored that I downloaded which I would like to be able to watch on my TV. Can someone please confirm if all this would be possible with the DSM-520 or if there is another device out there that can do any of this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 AM

i regulary watch movies stored on my computer using the dsm-520....so that is good...

about the streaming of videos - i dont know, but its a good question...i would love to know too...
post #3 of 28 Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Not sure about the streaming video from the net question. I had a DSM-520 and ended up returning it and getting an XBMC, primarily because it wouldn't play ISO files... and doing the VOB thing was awkward at best. I know that it was hooked into a lot of internet related stuff so it probably does.

You might also consider a Tivo which I think can stream video with the proper add-ons.
post #4 of 28 Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 AM

To my knowledge, you can use any uPnP capable media server software that plays streaming videos with D-Link 520. JRiver MediaCenter (sorry don't have enough posts to be able to put URLs in yet) has a new beta version out (and pretty stable, I've been using it) that supports playing YouTube and Google Videos, so those should be available to D-Link. Similarly, you can add streaming video sites as well.

I believe TVersity can do this too, although I've not tried it.

Having said that, this is all from what I've read. I don't have a D-Link 520 that I've actually tested this on.
post #5 of 28 Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Sorry, I missed the part about your format being H.264. I think you will have to wait for DSM-750 for support of H.264.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I am a complete newbie hence please bear with me.

I am not familiar with MPEG4, H.264 etc but a quick google search gave me the idea that MPEG4 is anothe name for H.264. Is that true? If it is than per the DSM-520 tech specs it is capable of supporting MPEG-4 so I should be able to watch any stream that I have on my pc in H.264 format through the DSM-520 on my tv. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I basically want to do a few things. Again am not familiar. I am using a very low end pc to tv converter currently to play the movies on my pc on the tv. It only supports the video and I have to use separate speakers. Also I have to use my laptop and not my pc to do this because of the distance. My understanding of the DSM-520 is that it will enable me to watch all stored video files (divx, wmv format) on my TV through a network connection. Am I correct? Does this support video & audio or only video? I think it would be both but just want to confirm. In addition to watching stored movies etc I subscribe to online sites that provide live tv either as sopcast streams or H.264/H.364 format. I would like to watch these streams on my TV and I believe another name for these formats is MPEG-4 which the DSM-520 does support. Is that possible?

I am not confined to the DSM-520. I guess I don't know that much about these type of devices and have just seen the DSM-520 in ads. If someone can suggest any other devices that would enable me to have the functionality I am looking for that would be great as well. Does anyone have any experience with this device

http://www.adtecinc.com/products/soloist4111/index.html

Again I do apologize asking so many questions. I am not at all familiar with the various formats for video etc and would also really like to learn. Anyone have any good experiences with any sites that explain all this stuff in a simple manner. Please note I am not familiar with anything about video/audio codec's etc. Thanks
post #7 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

The DSM-520 will NOT play H.264 files.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM

the dsm-520 should be able to do everything you are asking for except one - i dont think you can stream h.264

other than that - i regularly access all my stored media from the laptop onto my home theater...

the dsm-520 is not perfect, but i am quite happy with it so far...
post #9 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for your replies. Isn't H.264 the same as MPEG-4?
post #10 of 28 Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack12 View Post

Thx for your replies. Isn't H.264 the same as MPEG-4?

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4
post #11 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi aldamon,

Thx for replying. Well I believe there is some conflicting information on the wikipedia site. Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

Again I don't know much about this so do apologize but could you please confirm if I am missing something over here. Thanks
post #12 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

Hello Hack12,

I have been using dsm-520 for quite sometime and have been satisfied with its SD video performance. To answer your question, yes it can play streaming video from the net, but not with the dlink media server that comes with it (which is crap anyway). If you use the freeware tversity media server, you should be able to play *any* format of audio or video, since tversity transcodes them on the fly to a format supported by the 520. Of course, the quality of the video depends on how fast your computer is. You should be able to get all this info from the tversity website.

Also, in case you haven't yet bought the 520, do not buy it if you are getting it for watching HD content. Even though dlink advertises it as HD capable, its a big lie. It can only play upto 8mbps bitrate videos and there isn't much HD content which is below this rate.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
Not quite true. The bandwidth limit went with the last firmware upgrade. Unfortunately the 4GB file size limit remains.

Alan
post #14 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Weather it was fixed with the last firmware or not, i'm not sure, i got mine already at the latest... however, it only states this 8mbit limit to MPEG1 and MPEG2... For WMV and Mpeg4/AVI it dosent state anything, but both dont have as high bitrate as Mpeg1/2 anyway, but my high bitrate Mpeg2 TS files played fine, Except The unit cannot handle bad 3:2 Pulldown flags, eg... going from Film to Video mode. Its quite odd, but VERY common it seems with mpeg2 TS streams. I Endedup Converting those to Xvid Mpeg4 via AviSynth with the decomb filter, Runs smooth, Except over wireless. Only issue with that is that it takes me like 10 hours to recode a damn mpeg2 TS with AC3 to Xvid... but at leats they're a little smaller files

If you expect to run wireless HD, its a joke, soon as a high bit rate scene comes up, it lags big time... skip skip skip... Strangely it also speeds up the video, LOL, then slows back down in a lower bitrate scene. Quite ODD considering 54mbit should be quite quick... and i am 30 feet from the router, in line of sight too.

Also, For WMV HD, its Pointless, You'll have to Recode them all if you plan on having 5.1 Audio, Since it dosent support WMA 9 Pro Encoded Audio. Unless you have a A/V received that will decode it. i beleive it sends it Via Coaxial to the Receiver to Decode like AC3.

IMO, I would hold off and read reviews of players first, or you'll just end up being un-happy like me, hehe. First it was the DHCP, Then HDMI stuck at 480p (using component) then HD not being smooth over wireless.... BAD BAD Dlink
post #15 of 28 Old 01-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablevy View Post

Not quite true. The bandwidth limit went with the last firmware upgrade. Unfortunately the 4GB file size limit remains.

Alan

Really. I have the latest firmware as per their website (1.02) and have never been able to play any HD clip smoothly either over wireless or through a usb drive (except one whose bit rate is like 6mbps). If there are any small HD clips that play smoothly on your 520, can you please send a sample one to me (or its URL if they are available online).

thanks...
post #16 of 28 Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack12 View Post

Hi aldamon,

Thx for replying. Well I believe there is some conflicting information on the wikipedia site. Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

Again I don't know much about this so do apologize but could you please confirm if I am missing something over here. Thanks

hack, the DSM-520 WILL NOT PLAY H.264 files. I own the machine. It can play MPEG-4 files of different types, but not H.264 or X.264. H.264 is a type of MPEG-4 that needs a lot of CPU power to decode. That's the "Part 10" designation at your Wiki. The 520's Sigma's EM8620 processor doesn't have the horse power to do it.

So, the answer to your question "Isn't H.264 the same as MPEG-4?", is no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTDB View Post

If you expect to run wireless HD, its a joke, soon as a high bit rate scene comes up, it lags big time... skip skip skip... Strangely it also speeds up the video, LOL, then slows back down in a lower bitrate scene. Quite ODD considering 54mbit should be quite quick... and i am 30 feet from the router, in line of sight too.

Also, For WMV HD, its Pointless, You'll have to Recode them all if you plan on having 5.1 Audio, Since it dosent support WMA 9 Pro Encoded Audio. Unless you have a A/V received that will decode it. i beleive it sends it Via Coaxial to the Receiver to Decode like AC3.

Agreed on both points.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-24-2007, 08:59 AM

hey guys

had an issue last night with the dsm-520 and i hope you can help, although i must confess i am going to murder some of the terminology in the process...

i downloaded a movie last night, and tried to stream it to the dlink but it didnt work...i could hear the audio but not the video...

when i looked in the file properties, for video it said something like 'ffds'

does this make sense? does anyone know what the problem might be? i know this isnt much to go by, but i have seen stuff happen here with much less...

thanks for reading!
post #18 of 28 Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM

NewPannyGuy-

Transport Streams as high as 19 Mbps will work on the DSM-520 if you are hardwired to the Ethernet port. I think the 8 Mbps limit is on the wireless side as it seems to work OK with lower bit rates. It may also be from using the D-Link Media Server software. I have yet to have a high bitrate transport stream play correctly using D-Link's software no matter if it was hardwired or wireless.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Not quite. There was an 8 Mbps limit in earlier firmware. It was fixed in the latest version of the firmware. There is still a 4Gb limit on file size.

Alan
post #20 of 28 Old 01-24-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccgrant View Post

NewPannyGuy-

Transport Streams as high as 19 Mbps will work on the DSM-520 if you are hardwired to the Ethernet port. I think the 8 Mbps limit is on the wireless side as it seems to work OK with lower bit rates. It may also be from using the D-Link Media Server software. I have yet to have a high bitrate transport stream play correctly using D-Link's software no matter if it was hardwired or wireless.

Yes I initially did suspect the wireless connection to be the reason for the choppy playback of HD clips. So I tried the same clips through the usb drive and got the same exact choppy playback. Unfortunately can not try the ethernet connection due to the limitations of my setup. Also I'm using the tversity media server and not the one that came from dlink. In any case, the usb drive test removes the media server from the list of suspects.

Alan, what is the firmware version on your box. Is it 1.02?
post #21 of 28 Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dulkar View Post

when i looked in the file properties, for video it said something like 'ffds'

does this make sense? does anyone know what the problem might be? i know this isnt much to go by, but i have seen stuff happen here with much less...

thanks for reading!

You need this codec: FFDSHOW
post #22 of 28 Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

You need this codec: FFDSHOW

thanks Bookworm! but just one clarification - i am using Windows Media Player to stream to the d-link...i am not sure if this changes your answer...

...also - do i just download and install ffdshow? thanks!
post #23 of 28 Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablevy View Post

Not quite. There was an 8 Mbps limit in earlier firmware. It was fixed in the latest version of the firmware. There is still a 4Gb limit on file size.

Alan

That seems to be the case with the Mvix MX-760HD as well... I hate that.

So this media lounge is unable to play .ts files without dropped frames or lag stutter?
post #24 of 28 Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Yes, I'm running V1.02 of the firmware. I did read somewhere that they were coming out with an update for the firmware in the next month or two.

Alan
post #25 of 28 Old 10-10-2007, 08:22 AM

I have the latest Tversity running on my home PC and I'm sharing a folder with a bunch of divx and xvid movies that are standard files (divx 5.03 with 128k mp3 audio) and for some reason, when I try to play them with my 520 over HDMI via wired ethernet, the video plays fine, but the sound is pulsating. Kinda like when someone talks into a fan. I hear about a 1ms silence every other 1ms so although the sound is clear, its really annoying and choppy. I also notice that the sound is slowed down a bit.

I called D-Link and they told me that the behavior isn't normal and that I had a defective unit. So, back to BestBuy to exchange. Got the new unit home, and lo and behold - SAME DAMN THING!!!! I then upgraded the firmware to 1.04 just to be sure, and no difference.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I'm trying to play Elmo cartoons for my daughter who's driving me crazy chanting Elmo over and over and I am at my wits end.

Possible questions:

1. Could it have something to do with settings in Tversity? I get the same results using the Dlink Media Server
2. Could it have something to do with using HDMI as my connection for video and sound?
3. Does it sound like a network issue? I had an XBOX with XBMC previously in the place of the 520 before it burned out, and there was never a single issue.

Thanks in advance,

Jesse
post #26 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Jesse-

How does it work if you use analog instead of HDMI?

I'm a total noob to this unit and there are some things I don't like (can't change outputs while something is playing). I've about given up on using HDMI at all.

Still trying to figure it all out. So far, I've seen situations where HDMI won't play audio at all, in other cases, the digital out (optical) plays great, but analog is muted.

I think I'd try dumping the HDMI first. I've had my 520 for all of about two weeks now and everything seems to work better when HDMI isn't part of the picture.

Haven't seen much difference using TVersity vs. the D-Link supplied software.
post #27 of 28 Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 PM

(wow...I just realized how old this thread is!!)

So...4 gig filesize limit is removed.

Assuming that the network is using the LAN port...High Def content can now be played with no problem using D-Link's version 1.09 software and the firmware is updated to 1.04. As an example...my Fusion HDTV files will now play with no choppiness. Files saved with .tp extensions have to be changed to .ts.

Wireless will go to about 12 Mbps before the flaws of limited bandwidth appear.
post #28 of 28 Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 AM

is this thread still alive. I have decided to go HTPC also, and i can see a long road in front of me full of information before i decide what to buy...

i am glad though that i came across a thread with so much information on the DSM 520, although it's so old...

so my question is... what is the most popular competition on this DSM 520, is it the sageTV, or the linksys extender, which runs a little bit more expensive...

what about new Dlink extender products, like the DSM 750, would they do a better job...
what about this : TViX Digital Multimedia Jukebox M-3100U from DViCo

here is my other post: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...593973&page=52
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page