Help w/ connecting TVIX, NAS, PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-19-2007, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I'm a newbie so please be gentle. I've been using the search function all day but can't seem to find my answer or know the correct keywords.

I'm trying to stream content throughout the house from one centralized location.

In 2 weeks I will be moving into a 2 bedroom (plus den) condominium. We will be installing hardwood flooring and temporarily removing the baseboards. There are preinstalled jacks for Cat5e in each room, and a panel in the closet that says Leviton Integrated Network.

My office with my PC will be in the den. We will be using AT&T DSL. My television will be in the living room. I've purchased a TVIX M-4000 which I will use as a media streamer. I will be purchasing a ReadyNAS soon that will hold all of my videos (all formats) and audio.

I would like to stream this content from the NAS to the TV via the TVIX. I prefer wired rather than wireless so I can stream higher bitrate files. My question is, how do I connect all of this? What is this Leviton Integrated Network? Would I still need a router? A local switch? Can I take advantage of the cat5e jacks in each room or should I run wires behind the baseboards? Where is the best place to put the ReadyNAS server and how does this connect to the PC and/or cat5e jack? Can I simply plug an Ethernet cord from each component into the wall cat5e jacks? How does the TVix connect to the LAN? Do I hook this up to the wall jack?

I'm apologize for all my confusion. I've been racking my brain. Any help would be so so so much appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgong View Post

In 2 weeks I will be moving into a 2 bedroom (plus den) condominium. We will be installing hardwood flooring and temporarily removing the baseboards. There are preinstalled jacks for Cat5e in each room, and a panel in the closet that says Leviton Integrated Network.

I can't speak with absolute authority, but I believe that the Levitron is just the punch block for all your wiring. This makes networking a billion times easier, but right now you probably have no network. You would need a switch in that closet to act as the distribution point for your network, and each jack that terminates at the Levitron panel should have a cable going into a port on the switch. As to where your DSL is set up, it doesn't really matter as long as it is in the closet or near one of the ethernet jacks. Your DSL connection will run through a DSL Modem (converts the twisted pair from your phone line to a normal 100Base-T network), and then you would run this line into the 'uplink' port on a wired or wirelss router. You would then connect one of the other ports on the router to the ethernet jack in your wall (you could also set up the DSL in the closet and connect the router directly to one of the ports on the switch). At this point you have your network, and can plug a computer into one of the open ports on the router, the switch, or any of the wall jacks. The DSL modem and the switch really require almost no setup. The router will serve your internet connection to the network, provide some firewall protection, and serve up TCP/IP addresses to all the DHCP clients-- it is by far the most complex component of the network, and may require some additional setup if you want to do something special (e.g. wireless networking, or you may want to give your TVIX a "permanent lease" to one IP address so that it is easier to find on your network). Any PCs or devices you have should probably be set to use DHCP for network addresses, or should have static addresses that aren't in the range that the router uses for DHCP.

You probably still need to get a book or something that goes through things step by step, but this at least gives you an idea of the investment. You'll probably spend as much on the short cables you'll need to plug in devices as you will on the switch and router. The DSL modem may be provided by your service provider, but you may find it cheaper to pay for one outright.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page