TViX M-4000U / M-5000U Common Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 124 Old 01-22-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know about you, but i'm getting tired of checking both threads and seeing some of the same questions asked/answered. Since these both use the same firmware, can we post all common questions here and leave the other threads to specific questions about the specific model?

What do you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM

On another forum I also follow http://www.minhembio.com (it's in swedish) the moderators just merged the two threads to one.
I liked that solution.

Another solution is to make a whole forum section for the Tvix.....
post #3 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkid2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCyper View Post

I use MS's own: Services For Unix (SFU) which is FREE and integrates very well.
I have multiple NFS shares on my XP box and the tvix mounts each just fine (and streams Hi-Def content without a hitch).

It's definitely a heavier weight install, but, it works well.

Is it the Hi-Def content 1080i? and at what bitrates?

Yes. This is hi-def content recorded OTA with my Fusion HDTV5 Lite card (.tp files)
1080i and 720p. Playback at 720p. No problems at all.

DVD ISO images play back perfectly as well as well as all of other lower rez files.
post #4 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCypher View Post

Yes. This is hi-def content recorded OTA with my Fusion HDTV5 Lite card (.tp files)
1080i and 720p. Playback at 720p. No problems at all.

DVD ISO images play back perfectly as well as well as all of other lower rez files.

Please take a look at your ts/tp files and post what the bitrates are. 95% of the OTA I record is at 14.5MB/sec and even my LP2 will play that just fine BUT the other 5% is at a bitrate >19MB/sec and that is what I need to know FOR SURE before making a purchase.

Also, when you say Playback at 720p does that mean even if it is a 1080i recording it gets played back at 720p using the TVIX 5000? Is that by choice?

Thanks..I am really not trying to be a heckler...just trying to understand.

digitalkid2
post #5 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Please take a look at your ts/tp files and post what the bitrates are. 95% of the OTA I record is at 14.5MB/sec and even my LP2 will play that just fine BUT the other 5% is at a bitrate >19MB/sec and that is what I need to know FOR SURE before making a purchase.

I will double check, but i definitely remember them being 19 Mb/s and thinking - wow, totally perfect. I also know that my Roku had trouble with my SMB shares with these files, but when i switched over to NFS, everything worked great.

J
post #6 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:

I will double check, but i definitely remember them being 19 Mb/s and thinking - wow, totally perfect. I also know that my Roku had trouble with my SMB shares with these files, but when i switched over to NFS, everything worked great.

J

I know I am asking a lot...but how did you switch over to NFS? Was a software install or hardware or both? This is new territory for me and even after a few google runs I am still quite confused.

Thanks

digitalkid2
post #7 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know I am asking a lot...but how did you switch over to NFS? Was a software install or hardware or both? This is new territory for me and even after a few google runs I am still quite confused.

Thanks

NFS is a software install.
Divco supplies a simple NFS server that you can use, but I'm not familiar with it as i use Microsoft's SFU (Services For Unix), which is also available freely. The downside of the MS approach is it is a MUCH bigger install, but it does integrate VERY nicelice into the OS and allows pretty easy sharing of directories, just like you would with SMB (it adds a new tab called "NFS Sharing" when you go to the sharing dialog).

So, just to recap, the default sharing under windows uses SMB. Those are probably the shares you are most familiar with.

NFS is a lighter weight way of sharing directories. Windows does not support NFS out of the box, but it's just a matter of installing some software. What software you install is up to you, but there are a couple of free ways to do it.

here's where you can get MS SFU:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/int...u/default.mspx

There's a download link on the right side of the page.

Jeff
post #8 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 AM

Does anyone know of an easy setup guide or something similar? Or does anyone here have one written up? The included documentation is not very clear, and I, like most of us, got it working on the network through trial and error.

I didn't even know that DViCO provides NFS software for download until I saw people here talking about it.
post #9 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Jeff

Unfortunately the download link no longer seems to work, even though the MS page for SFU is still there. MS has announced that it's discontinuing development for SFU, i.e. they aren't going to make a 64-bit version. It could be that they are discontinuing distribution as well, but they did discuss continuing support through 2011.
post #10 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:

NFS is a software install.
Divco supplies a simple NFS server that you can use, but I'm not familiar with it as i use Microsoft's SFU (Services For Unix), which is also available freely. The downside of the MS approach is it is a MUCH bigger install, but it does integrate VERY nicelice into the OS and allows pretty easy sharing of directories, just like you would with SMB (it adds a new tab called "NFS Sharing" when you go to the sharing dialog).

So, just to recap, the default sharing under windows uses SMB. Those are probably the shares you are most familiar with.

NFS is a lighter weight way of sharing directories. Windows does not support NFS out of the box, but it's just a matter of installing some software. What software you install is up to you, but there are a couple of free ways to do it.

Jeff

Thanks much for the info...unfortunately it appears that SFU is no longer available. I will checkout the DVICO NFS...by any chance do have any other NFS software apps to recommend?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what NFS software to use?

digitalkid2
post #11 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnat View Post

Unfortunately the download link no longer seems to work, even though the MS page for SFU is still there. MS has announced that it's discontinuing development for SFU, i.e. they aren't going to make a 64-bit version. It could be that they are discontinuing distribution as well, but they did discuss continuing support through 2011.

Bummer. Oh well, looks like the 3rd party solutions are the only way to go...

Jeff
post #12 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashX View Post

Does anyone know of an easy setup guide or something similar? Or does anyone here have one written up? The included documentation is not very clear, and I, like most of us, got it working on the network through trial and error.

I didn't even know that DViCO provides NFS software for download until I saw people here talking about it.

By any chance do you know where to get the DVICO NFS software? I have been to their site but can not seem to find it.

Thanks

digitalkid2
post #13 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks much for the info...unfortunately it appears that SFU is no longer available. I will checkout the DVICO NFS...by any chance do have any other NFS software apps to recommend?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what NFS software to use?

Hmm...more FUD!

I downloaded the SFU installation package yesterday (all 200-some MB) and wasn't even asked to "validate geniune Windows" to do so. I found the download page...are you ready?...by googling Microsoft+Services+for+Unix+SFU+download. It was the first hit.
post #14 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Hmm...more FUD!

I downloaded the SFU installation package yesterday (all 200-some MB) and wasn't even asked to "validate geniune Windows" to do so. I found the download page...are you ready?...by googling Microsoft+Services+for+Unix+SFU+download. It was the first hit.

tried your search and it took me to the same link in Post #8 and it's not working: "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page."

I would really like to get ahold of this.....can it be posted somewhere so other can get it since M$ isn't giving it up anymore?

Thanks!
post #15 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

I downloaded the SFU installation package yesterday (all 200-some MB)

Maybe the current problem downloading is just temporary. I suppose it is worth trying at off-peak hours to see if it is just a load problem.
post #16 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

tried your search and it took me to the same link in Post #8 and it's not working: "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page."

I would really like to get ahold of this.....can it be posted somewhere so other can get it since M$ isn't giving it up anymore?

Thanks!

Same here - did not work....

____
Axel

post #17 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So what am I bid for this freshly minted SFU download of yesterday?

Just kidding. I agree that the interruption must be temporary, because SFU references on the MSFT site abound.

PS: Occurs to me that they may have found a new security hole and will be posting a revised release soon(?).
post #18 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 01:54 PM

I have just received my tvix , cant do full tests yet, but did a test running a wifi bridge via my mac , and streamed mp3, isos no problem over samba, vobs stuttered but may be ok when i get my devolo dlan 200mb.

So Far, Does what I wanted plays dvds from my nas over samba, will report when i get network over power sorted.

I have a large iTunes collection on my Nas, and dont want that to change as its access by various machines etc etc, But is there a way to create a playlist for the tvix 4000 to read to make it nicer to navigate or is this it ? If there is a way can someone point me to the correct articles, threads etc Please

Your Help is very very much appreciated.
post #19 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Also, when you say Playback at 720p does that mean even if it is a 1080i recording it gets played back at 720p using the TVIX 5000? Is that by choice?

Thanks..I am really not trying to be a heckler...just trying to understand.

So, i just double checked... with a few files:
The office: 1920x1080 streamed at about 25 Mb/s
24: 1280x720 streamed at about 25 Mb/s

All my output is to my plasma at 1280x720 - by choice. The native res is 1365x768. The closest match is 1280x720. The TV does an awesome job of scaling.

No stuttering, plays perfectly...

Jeff
post #20 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:

So, i just double checked... with a few files:
The office: 1920x1080 streamed at about 25 Mb/s
24: 1280x720 streamed at about 25 Mb/s

All my output is to my plasma at 1280x720 - by choice. The native res is 1365x768. The closest match is 1280x720. The TV does an awesome job of scaling.

No stuttering, plays perfectly...

Jeff

Thanks for checking and for the help!

Looks like I need to get NSF installed and working...is your network anything special?...Are you using the server software that comes with the TVIX?

Thanks again!

digitalkid2
post #21 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for checking and for the help!

Looks like I need to get NSF installed and working...is your network anything special?...Are you using the server software that comes with the TVIX?

Thanks again!

Take a look above... i'm using MS SFU (I even posted a link, but it seems the download is dead right now).

The software that comes with TVix will work just fine too and that can be found here:

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/support/Et...?act=RD&id=226

(TVix NetShare)

Jeff
post #22 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Take a look above... i'm using MS SFU (I even posted a link, but it seems the download is dead right now).

The software that comes with TVix will work just fine too and that can be found here:

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/support/Et...?act=RD&id=226

(TVix NetShare)

Jeff

Thanks again.

I think I may have found a source for the MS SFU...so if I install it will it hurt anything I have currently setup?

digitalkid2
post #23 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks again.

I think I may have found a source for the MS SFU...so if I install it will it hurt anything I have currently setup?

ha - that's a pretty open ended question!

Depends what you currently have setup. The SFU install didn't mess up anything on my system when i installed it, but i like to make a backup before installing something like that....

Jeff
post #24 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone knowif it's possible to change the skip duration from 15 seconds to say, 30 seconds?
post #25 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

ha - that's a pretty open ended question!

Depends what you currently have setup. The SFU install didn't mess up anything on my system when i installed it, but i like to make a backup before installing something like that....

Jeff

What I have is the 2+MB installer...and you are right that is open ended but I think you answered the question. Sounds like a simple install that does require a network/Windows guru.

Thanks

digitalkid2
post #26 of 124 Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Does anyone know if you can format the internal TViX drive with the ext2/ext3 filesytem?

Can it access a NFS share on an Infrant ReadyNAS with an ext2/ext3 filesystem on it?
post #27 of 124 Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM

It works again! Downloaded from Microsoft a few minutes ago.
post #28 of 124 Old 01-24-2007, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad-R View Post

Does anyone know if you can format the internal TViX drive with the ext2/ext3 filesytem?

Can it access a NFS share on an Infrant ReadyNAS with an ext2/ext3 filesystem on it?

The filesystem on the remote share should not matter at all. I run ReiserFS on my Fedora box - the TViX has no idea what FS it is, because it's just talking NFS...
post #29 of 124 Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukie View Post

It works again! Downloaded from Microsoft a few minutes ago.

You beat me to the punch....I was about to post the same thing! Hope it's still working when I get home!
post #30 of 124 Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Thanks!

The download is back up again. Downloading as we speak (still some 190MB to go ).
____
Axel

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page