Best non-HD streaming - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a media streaming device for my TV (not an HD TV) that supports Xvid, Avi, and Mpegs. I'd also like it to support UPnP, specifically for my router (WRTSL54GS), so that I don't have to have my computer on, just the hard drive attached to my router.

For music, I'd like ogg support though that isn't necessarily a deal breaker (I can batch convert the ogg to something else).

I will be hooking up the streaming device through component cables.

Currently, EVA700 and DSM-510 which are the popular mainstream models but I'm game for everything as long as it's pretty stable. I'm also a little worried that the UPnP software of my router may still not be compatible with these devices.

Any suggestions or other things I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM

I have two DSM-520s, and I am pretty happy with them. They are by no means perfect, but they meet the criteria you has listed.

You can check out the "Questions on DLink DSM-520" thread for further discussion (I don't yet have 5 posts, so I can't post links ;-)
post #3 of 5 Old 01-28-2007, 02:27 PM

Actually, I should say that I am not sure about the UPnP feature of your router. If the router has a media server built in (I am guessing it does, seeing as that it wheter you mentioned your hard drive was connected) it just has to be a DNLA-compliant server for the DSM-520 to see it (or other DNLA-compliant clients).
post #4 of 5 Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewser View Post

Currently, EVA700 and DSM-510 which are the popular mainstream models but I'm game for everything as long as it's pretty stable. ?

The problem I face with my DSM-510 (has HDMI) is that it works with only the Nero s/w bundle.
My old SLM5500 works, although it's not as popular, I have not seen it hang that much, when compare to the DSM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

The router does have a media server built-in to it. I called linksys and they were not able to tell me either way about the DNLA compatibility (they supposedly talked to the engineers in the 10 minutes I was on hold). So I assume that means it probably isn't DNLA compatible. In fact, a lot of people have had trouble using the Roku M1000 with it. So that means I'll probably steer away from the DSM-520.

I'm looking at the Rhapsody N35 since it states I can use any NAS to stream data from (I'll turn off the media server). File sharing is said to be done by SMB/CIFS for this router. Anyone know if this would work with the N35 or if there is some other device I should consider for my requirements?

Thanks.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page