"Official" Thread for ReQuest Products - AudioReQuest, VideoReQuest, iQ, F.Series - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 01-30-2007, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I am one of the founders of ReQuest (www.request.com) and I wanted to create this thread to directly support customers who have any questions with our product line of AudioReQuest audio servers (S.Series, F.Series, and N.Series), VideoReQuest DVD management controllers, and iQ whole house audio distribution systems. I am including some company info here to inform the AVS community of ReQuest. I am here to help anyone with any questions.

ReQuest shipped the world's first MP3 home audio server in 2000 and since then sold its products to the CEDIA custom install channel for customers who want whole-house audio distribution and home automation. Our products start at $1,500 retail and have unique features not found in consumer products used for integration with control systems and high-end systems. Our products are competitively priced compared to our competitors, but ReQuest has been the CEDIA market leader in media servers for many years due to our commitment to customer service and dealer support.

Some unique features of our products include:

*2-Way Synchronization with iTunes including music, edits, and playlists. Support for multiple computers and iPods. (www.request.com/products/netsyncforitunes.asp)

*Only media servers with patented Multi-Location Syncrhonization, so music in your second home, vacation home, or apartment in Europe is always up to date with your latest music and playlists.

*Built-in Web Server for remote access, streaming, and editing of your music collection.

*Upgradable Removable Hard Drives so you can upgrade when your collection gets bigger.

*Automatic redundant backup servers

*Pre-made modules and Integration with all major control systems including Crestron, AMX, Elan, Niles ICS, Pronto, AudioAccess, and others.

Company Background:
In 1998, ReQuest introduced the world's first digital music server for home entertainment and media systems to the consumer electronics custom installation market (CEDIA). Today, the company continues to be the leading manufacturer of this category in the CEDIA distribution channels. ReQuest's products are distributed around the globe and our dealers are regarded as some of the most talented and professional in the world. The company has grown to 50 employees and we enjoy being regarded as having the best service in the industry. Recently, ReQuest was ranked by Inc. Magazine as one of the top 500 fastest-growing private businesses in America for the second year in a row.

Our current product lines include a wide range of AudioReQuest audio music servers from the N.Series entry level single zone, popular multi-zone F.Series to our ultra-high end audiophile S.Series flagship. For video enthusiasts, ReQuest offers the award winning VideoReQuest DVD controller, which manages up to 1600 DVDs on external DVD changers.

ReQuest's latest innovation is a first-of-its-kind multiroom audio system based on our music server technology. The iQ System offers true plug and play installation, superb audio playback to as many as eight rooms and the ability to stream content to up to eight more via wired or wireless home network. Key elements of the system are an Intelligent media server, 16-channel multiroom amplifier and a multiroom tuner. Options include speakers, keypads, and tabletop control. This system recently won the "Best Overall Product & Multi-room Audio System" Award at the EH Expo trade show.

ReQuest sells through the CEDIA custom installer channel to dealers who install complete audio, video, home theater, and control systems for affluent and famous customers who spend anywhere from $15K to $4M to automate their media lifestyle.

Hope this helps,
Steven Vasquez
Founder
ReQuest, Inc.
www.request.com

Hope this helps,
Steve Vasquez
Founder, ReQuest, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 PM

Nice. I wish my current setup were advanced enough to warrant such nifty gadgetry.
post #3 of 37 Old 05-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Steven,

Thanks for posting on this site. I am about to take the Audio Request plunge and integrate with some AMX gear. I am undecided about which models and features will work together. I am defenitely going to get the video request peice due to the tight integration with AMX. I was originally going to get an Autopatch Precis audio switcher and seperate amp to handle distributing audio throughout the house. I was just going to buy a 2 or 4 zone F series. If I want XM radio and complete Itunes interoperability do I need to go with a full blown IQ system(without panels)? Can I buy the IQ system without the amp and then get an Echo and tuner and Itunes synch? The price point of the whole IQ system is decent but I am worried that the 8 input zones will only support Request features and not things like my directv box audio feed etc...
post #4 of 37 Old 05-25-2007, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

enodog,

The iQ system is only bundled with the amp (however the 8 source, 16 channel, 80 watt/channel matrix amp can be sold separately with an F.Series). iQ is meant to be a complete system with server, controller, amp, 3.5" in wall touch screens, etc.

However features such as NetSync for iTunes is available on both iQ systems and N.Series/F.Series/S.Series. Both systems are based on the same software platform, so as new audio features are added to one system, it should be available for the other system at the same time, if appropriate.

The best bet is to call our in house sales team, including Bill McKiegan, and they will be happy to go over your proposed system and make the appropriate recommendations as to which ReQuest products would work best for you.

800-236-2812

Hope this helps,
Steve Vasquez
Founder, ReQuest, Inc.
post #5 of 37 Old 05-26-2007, 04:42 AM

I will call sales as you suggest. One question. Is the Intelligent multi-room tuner usable with the F, N and S series or just the IQ?

By the way, seeing the founder of the company replying to a post at 4AM reinforces what I have been told about Requests dedication to supporting the products that you make!
post #6 of 37 Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM

Steve

I will apologize in advance for the litany of questions but my dealer has not yet provided me with answers yet on these points.

I have been researching Distributed Audio for a while now and I like a lot of what I see with respect to the Request IQ system. I find the interface, power, number of zones, simplicity, and extra features very appealing. Being able to sync and play from my Itunes with my Ipod docked to the computer without the need for additional equipment is convenient, as well as syncing other Itune libraries resident on other systems is a great feature as well. Couple of questions though:

- For the doorbell mute trigger to work, what other equipment is necessary?

- The website suggests that the Request IQ system will allow you to pull up webcams on the keypads. (A) Would I be able to pull up images on the small keypads (TS 35) or does this feature only work on the large LCD screens? (B) Is there a specific web-cam and software best suited for the Request system? (C) Can the system send webcams like traffic webcams / widgets to the TS 35's as well -- or just to the large LCD panel?

- The website suggests that you can also use the keypads for slideshows. Can this be done with the smaller keypads as well? For example, set it up to go into slideshow mode after a period of inactivity.

- Can the Freedom software be installed on wireless devices other than the Nokia N800. What about the Nokia N810, apple ITouch, or other similar device?

- The IQ-IMS looks like it has 4 independent outputs plus 2 streaming outputs. Would this enable me to output 4 independent mp3 sources to 4 separate zones (yes) plus send two independent streams of internet radio to two different zones as well? While doing the above, will it also allow me to send digital audio out to my Home Theater systems at the same time. (effectively managing 7 independent audio streams (4+2+1)) If it is flexible enough to do that, I would say that is one hell of a system.
post #7 of 37 Old 06-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Hi, Steve. I have one of your F2 Pro servers that I haven't usedfor a couple of years because the "professional" I hired screwed it up (his name is Steven Caputo). I now have it installed upstairs, but I seem to be getting dropouts in the middle of the songs. Can this be fixed with a software upgrade? I have old software (2.7.7) but when I went to your web site, I couldn't figure out how to upgrade it, and when I tried to send you a message I got a Netsuite error message "An unexpected error has occurred. Please go back and try again." which I did, but it still doesn't work. Also, how do I find the serial number? I looked everywhere: under the faceplate and on the back. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
post #8 of 37 Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had the pleasure to tryout a ReQuest F series Audio server while staying for a couple of days at a friends house in Surrey, UK. It was accessed through a Crestron mini-PC and the interface was easy to use - playing music was very easy and straightforward.

I even copied a FLAC album I had from my home file server and figured out how to import it into the SMB ReQuest share, it was very straightforward and the import worked flawlessly.

I normally use a Sonos multi-zone system back in the states. a few differences I noticed from Sonos:

1) very good "out of the box" web browser integration. Without much fuss, I was able to "find" the web server on the LAN and play music directly from the web browser.

2) Easy to "import" new albums from an SMB share. Worked for one-off music files and a whole album.

3) Very easy for non-technical owners to import CD's into the music collection - an integrated CD reader for easy and automatic import.

4) Though my friends don't own one, the ReQuest controller seems to have features the Sonos controller lack - namely an SDK for adding such features as weather and news.

In short, a very well engineered hardware platform for ripping, storing and playing back WAV, FLAC and MP3 files. By the way, the playback was flawless and sounded great on my friend's high end speakers.
post #9 of 37 Old 09-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Hey Steve,

I have started to research for a possible zoned audio system. In the past I was familar with your Tera line of products. I didn't like the limitations of their storage capacity. I currently have over 4000 CD's. I ripped them on to an external hard drive, while I've got it backed up on another.

Does the new IMS's have this limitation?

Do you need to have the music on the IMS?

I decided against purchasing the Tera in the past because I was told the only way I could play my music would be to rip it into the Tera system. I was not going to do this again, nor was I going to pay some one else to rip all of my CD's.

The new hardware looks great, but I'm wondering if this limitation has been changed.

Thanks
post #10 of 37 Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 PM

This thread looked like a positive step on the side of ReQuest, but it pretty much sums up my experience with the company. I contacted the company and made sure that there was nothing that prohibited a customer from doing a self install and that it would not void the warranty or support. I was told by the VP of Sales that the system is normally professionally installed, but that there was nothing stopping customers from self installs.

The system is well built, easy to install and functions as advertised. Support is non-existant. I have submitted support tickets on 5 or 6 occassions and have only received response to one. If you call for support, they refer you back to the dealers, claiming that they are only their for the dealers. If you lnstall this system yourself, you are as familiar with the system as any installer you will come into contact with, sometimes even more.

The system is fully capable of being interfaced with any control system on the market, however they only make the most basic of protocol information available for communicating with the device. As far as Crestron and AMX integration go, the iQ.IMA can be interfaced with this system, but if you want to use the iQ.IMS with their touchpanels, you can not use Crestron or AMX control, except for IR, which is pointless. The only limitations to this system are set in place by ReQuest. The unit is completely capable of being controlled by any system either by Serial, TCP/IP or IR, but the company chooses not to make this information available. If you are looking to control this system with third party systems, I would look elsewhere, or just use the iQ.IMA amplifier. The iQ.IMS, which is an amazing machine, completely precludes you from other control options. Even the earlier systems had ProntoScript for control of the media by a wireless controller. That function does not work on the iQ. It is a lot like having a Ferarri with a governor on it that keeps you from going past 65.

I am not putting the product down at all, but the service is not in line with the quality of the product. If you are not willing to offer support to end users, then the product should specifically be sold to integrators and should not be allowed to be self installed. They questions I have asked in the past have not been questions that can be answered by the available documentation or FAQs.

As for some of the questions others have asked, here are a couple of answers. Currently you cannot access music from a NAS or network drive. You can send music to the unit from a network drive with the Netsync for iTunes software, but if the amount of content exceeds the drive size, you will have to purchase one of the ARQive system expanders. I think the new video client that is coming out will allow the use of NAS, at least that is what it says, but it does not indicate if it will allow for music to be moved to the NAS.

For the door bell trigger to work you would just need your current control system or whatever you are using to be wired into the back of the unit, it is just a trigger that lowers the music.

It is correct that the video camera feature does not work on the small touch panels and the slideshow feature does not either. The video camera feature is actually fairly limited. You would need an axis camera server or some system that provides a jpeg and then set the refresh interval. It is not a video stream. This is also true on their new HD GUI on the TV screen.

Hope this helps answer some questions. Mr. Vasquez, I love your product, but the support from your company does not keep up with the product. For the price of this system you should receive far better service. I replaced an escient system with this product. While I do prefer the quality of the iQ, I must say that I never have had a single issue with Escient that wasn't handled completely in one email, and I have never encountered emails not being responded to.
post #11 of 37 Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 AM

I have installed an Audio Request IMC along with a URC MRF 300, and a MX-850. I have tried using the direct IR port in the rear of the IMC with not luck. I have also tried using a flasher on the front IR window with scattered results. I have contacted Request with this issue and have been told it is a problem with the combo of equipment. I don't know if anyone else has a similar setup and I was wondering if there were any additional ideas.
Thank You----Steve
post #12 of 37 Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSD-Steve View Post

I have installed an Audio Request IMC along with a URC MRF 300, and a MX-850. I have tried using the direct IR port in the rear of the IMC with not luck. I have also tried using a flasher on the front IR window with scattered results. I have contacted Request with this issue and have been told it is a problem with the combo of equipment. I don't know if anyone else has a similar setup and I was wondering if there were any additional ideas.
Thank You----Steve

Steve, what did you think of the ReQuest equipment? I'm looking at the iQ.IMS and iQ.IMA6 and was wondering how good the equipment was.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 800
I checked out an Audio Request F2 with a 750 gb hard drive and an IMC unit which my dealer loaned me to demo.

As background, I have had Escient systems for many years (latest was a DVDM-300) which I sold: I also checked out a Fusion server which was very nice

The F2 hardware is very well designed: the removable front panel is a very nice feature and the front panel display gives a lot of info: the unit is fairly quiet compared to some other servers I have tried : I can hear the HD and fan running on the F2 but the noise level is very low

The IMC is advertised as silent but has a fan you can hear: and it throws out a lot of heat for a small box

The net interface of the F2 is great: it gives a lot of control options and is fast: the IMC screen is HD but all of the CD covers are still SD and this was a big issue for me. My main goal was to archive several hundred CD's in my HT, and use the second zone as a whole house audio source, so I concluded the IMC was of no real benefit: the HD video output of the IMC did nothing to make the SD cover art look better

Back to the F2: it did everything really well and fast and was easy to control by IR from the rear panel jack.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #14 of 37 Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM

I just looked on the official website of ReQuest.

And found that without any news or notification in press releases some products were not there anymore.
I miss the 16 channel 80 Watt Amplifier IQ IMA, which has been exchanged by a less powerfull model, a 12 channel 50 Watt Amplifier IQ IMA6.
Also the Echo (backup model for Servers) has been removed.

I think it's going back a big step with the new 50 Watt model, compared to the bigger packed 80 Watt model.

Why would'nt ReQuest put something in the press section or on "news" websites about these changes in the models?
post #15 of 37 Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 PM

Question for anyone familiar with the F series, since I can't get a response from Request. I originally contacted them about the current availability of the Echo backup system, but since I haven't heard back from them I started digging and may have come up with another backup solution instead.

In windows I can go to start->run and type in \\\\ip_of_my_request and there are 7 folders:

best
MP3s
Pictures
stream
Themes
ThemesBackup
Upload

Can I just backup the request myself by periodically copying the best, MP3s and stream folders to a NAS drive?
post #16 of 37 Old 05-29-2009, 04:59 AM
jy3

Seems as though the Album Art download feature no longer works on ARQs, or at least not mine.

I recently added some new music to my server, and all the Album Art lookups failed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Request support is not aware of any issues with this feature, and therefore didn't have a solution handy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jim
post #17 of 37 Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 PM

We have the iq Intelligent Media Server, and have stored about 470 CDs on it. My son is trying to store a 1986 Metallic album, and the server has it stored as "Artist 1" and "Track X" because, I assume, it can't read the metadata.

I was trying to edit the data using the remote, but I could not get to that level of detail. We don't have the server connected to our home computer system (or Windows doesn't recognize it), so I can't do this from a PC.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
post #18 of 37 Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
jy3

RMS1999,

Is your server connected to the Internet? If so then you might have to update the lookup IPs.
Check this link.

If not, then you must connect it to the web. It needs to be able to access one of the CD databases to retrieve album and track info.
post #19 of 37 Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had a F.Series for about six years now. I use it as a whole house music server. The firmware has been upgraded to the latest version. Recently the sound stream began to skip at times. I'm afraid the hard drive is going to fail. Is there a way for the end user to upgrade the drive? Anyone know if there is special formatting of the drive?
post #20 of 37 Old 07-03-2009, 07:25 AM
jy3

Not sure about the Linux versions of the OS, but I've used Norton Ghost with the older QNX OS to upgrade drive size.
post #21 of 37 Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 AM

No one has posted to this thread in three years, but the idea of getting to address Steve Vasquez directly in the forum was too good to miss, and it seems to me that the right place for my comments is an 'official' AudioRequest discussion.

I've just bought a secondhand AudioRequest music server and, on the whole, I'm happy with it. The fan is very noisy, but the machine is not new and I'm prepared to get that replaced. But the thing that left me speechless was the cost of 'subscribing' to 'classical mode' in order to be able to catalogue my classical music properly. It actually costs more than I paid for the music server: quite a lot more. Not everyone who listens to classical music is a snobby plutocrat who drops $750 as small change. Part of the job of the music server is surely to enable people to catalogue and access their music--all their music. How can this possibly be justified? I really want to know. Is anyone else really annoyed by this?
post #22 of 37 Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 AM

In reading the IQ.ims protocol file it indicates you can download the protocol for the IQ.IMA from the website, but i cannot find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #23 of 37 Old 08-12-2010, 07:28 PM

Did you have any luck finding these codes?
post #24 of 37 Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM

I have had this server with amp for a large home for 6 months. It had GREAT trouble synching with itunes on a Mac initially--took over 3 weeks and MULTIPLE calls to the poor customer support. It has a good interface when it works. The NET SYNC For mac is pretty poor in its predictability. I have a MAC PRO loaded with HD and RAM--and it NET SYNC freezes 90% of the time I open it. In the preferences of SERIOUS PLAYER on the unit--there is a menu to report errors to Audio Request. They have several from my machine and no one calls or emails--why even have that reporting feature. I am so frustrated with the interface, I am ready to dump the unit and go to something more stable that acually has customer support.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-03-2011, 08:58 AM

I have their iQ.IMA 16-channel amplifier but that is all. Can this be used as a normal multichannel amp or would you have to have other products of theirs for use? Thanks for any suggestions. PG
post #26 of 37 Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

I bought an Audio ReQuest Fusion Pro, server and two satellites for a song off ebay from a seller who didn't even know what they did.

Technically speaking it was easy to get the server up and running, and the more I learned of even this old kits capabilty, the more impressed I became, at least when it does work, but there is a fault...

And here lies the rub with that lovely ReQuest equipment...

Apparently, they no longer support this ten year old kit, even to the extent that they did not alledgedly retain an image of the OS, for those like me who need to replace their hard drive.

So to sum up:

Someone (thankfully not me) paid around 7000$ orginally for this gear ten years ago, and now it's repair is of no interest to the company!

When I can afford to buy new, I'll buy British. My experiences as both original purchaser and second hand customer has been quite different, with British manufacturers, they do seem to understand that premium hi-fi should work for at least 2 decades.

In the meantime, if anyone can provide me with a data image suitable to try in my Audio ReQuest "fusion pro" system, I'd be very keen to hear from you...

I'd also like to hear from someone who knows if it's possible to run a version of windows on the main box, which I haven't yet managed successfully, despite it containing an "off the shelf" PC motherboard".

I can boot the device off a mates "spinrite" disc diagnostic and repair utility, and it finds no fault with the basic computer disc surface even afetr a 48 hour soak test... Which is why I think that the problem is with my software.
post #27 of 37 Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got an image for an ARQ1 but need a new motherboard for my unit. Anyone know what a good replacement would be?
post #28 of 37 Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM

About £300 euro's I was quoted this week...

Mine has a motherboard with a sticker on it which says 810DTC. That is an INTEL chipset board made by a firm called Azza.

I suspect that there may be difficulties using an alternative more modern make of mother board at least in my machine becuase it uses the "modem" interface, which I do not believe to be "universal" by any means.

Are you in England Mr Wilson? And my I be inquisitive and ask how you KNOW that your motherboard is fried?

Cheers, Steve C
post #29 of 37 Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM

In Steve's introductory message he says:

"we enjoy being regarded as having the best service in the industry".

Now since the factory informed me that my 10 year old item was no longer supported (That came as a nasty surprise, that did, to someone who has been raised on the service standards that UK hi-fi companies seem to adhere to, I can tell you!) I have been searching the internet and accessing my contacts in the Hi-Fi trade, and that bold statement would seem on the evidence available to be to be completely at odds with reality.

Is it just my perception, or have these people got an appalling attitude with respect to support of their products, some of who's owners have shelled out many thousands of dollars for this now completely unsupported equipment?

I really LIKE the fact that my F2 can be controlled from an app on my laptop, and have been offered a really sweet deal on the latest player, and to be honest was briefly tempted, but then I realised if I was going to go down the replacement route I might as well put a bit more money into the kitty and buy something from a UK manfacturer, as soon as I can find one with the correct user interface to suit my needs.

At least I can expect it to continue to be "useable" until I choose to replace it...

In the meantime, I'll find a way to fix this one, just becuase they don't want me to...

IF anyone can supply me with an "image" suitable for my F2 player, or any "not generally known" technical information I'm keen to learn.
post #30 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 AM

I have a failed keypad and apparently the company cannot fix it or even have another to purchase. As a result I have a whole in my wall and I am unable to take full advantage of my system. Does anyone have an idea where I can obtain either a used keypad or replacement keypad? The system is only three years old and I cant believe there are no alternatives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page