Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Quads View Post

Hmm - these two sound like show stoppers for me. I am very close to ordering this but it needs to play mpeg2 & h264 1080p .ts files flawlessly and also ISOs without any problem. Otherwise I am better off just upgrading my current HTPC setup

I've only had mine for 2 days (counting today) I have only played ISO files and of the four movies I tested so far they are all playing perfectly. FF and REW works fine, too. I am using DVD Shrink to rip them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It is worth reading the sigma designs and MPC club links. My sense is...if you have a previous generation machine and can wait...it makes sense to wait for the next generation.

If you don't have a current machine...go for these new models now. Dvico/TVIX has a good record of getting things right (or as right as they can be) pretty quickly with their firmware updates.

SMB looks like it will be addressed more thoroughly in the next version. I just run their Netshare utility on the main PC in the house to provide file access. That works fine; the limit seems more to be my home network and the throughput capablity of my "server" which is 8 years old.
post #453 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 AM

If you live in the USA is h.264 playback really even needed? How much video in h.264 is actually available in the USA? Or is it that it is just the latest thing? Remember I am talking about the USA not Europe.

digitalkid2
post #454 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If we buy the Tivx 4100 now, and let's say next year the new sigma chip comes out. Will the 4100 be able to be sent back to get the new chip put in?? From what I read about the sigma's, looks like the xx30 chip is the same socket as the xx622/23 chip that is in the 4100..

If not, oh well, will enjoy the 4100 as long as I can hold out..

Very excited to get this awesome toy
post #455 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

If we buy the Tivx 4100 now, and let's say next year the new sigma chip comes out. Will the 4100 be able to be sent back to get the new chip put in?? From what I read about the sigma's, looks like the xx30 chip is the same socket as the xx622/23 chip that is in the 4100..

If not, oh well, will enjoy the 4100 as long as I can hold out..

Very excited to get this awesome toy

Nope they are not pin compatible. So it cant be done. Code is also totally different. They also use a different memory architecture.
post #456 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerndl View Post

Where do you get these higher bitrate programming? The highest I am able to get is OTA at about 18mb/sec which the Roku w/SMB work fine. Being an IT guy I know all about NFS, but most people don't and NFS sure hasn't made it's way into many consumer products. I guess I'm a little suprised that regular (i.e. non-IT) consumers are willing and able to install and configure NFS to watch movies. Sorry for the off-topic comments.

Jay

I see your point about non-techie people installing and using NFS.
In fact I had a lot of trouble using Microsoft SFU (and I'm a techie...) Running Allegro NFS server now and is happy with it.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that you can just install the Netshare program (a super-light NFS server), select a folder to share and play along. Quite easy, even for the non-techie out there.

M.
post #457 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkid2 View Post

If you live in the USA is h.264 playback really even needed? How much video in h.264 is actually available in the USA? Or is it that it is just the latest thing? Remember I am talking about the USA not Europe.

Much of the HD content on Dish Network is encoded with H.264 and is recordable with suitable gear.

Besides which a lot of interesting H.264 content from other parts of the world is available for download.

Ron Gomes
post #458 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenenator View Post

I see your point about non-techie people installing and using NFS.
In fact I had a lot of trouble using Microsoft SFU (and I'm a techie...) Running Allegro NFS server now and is happy with it.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that you can just install the Netshare program (a super-light NFS server), select a folder to share and play along. Quite easy, even for the non-techie out there.

M.

Out of curiosity, why did you go through the trouble to use NFS?

I recently setup a server using Linux (Linspire) and it has NFS and I plan on going that route if I purchase a TVIX, however I am doing this not based on knowledge but rather on recommendations.

digitalkid2
post #459 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post

Much of the HD content on Dish Network is encoded with H.264 and is recordable with suitable gear.

Besides which a lot of interesting H.264 content from other parts of the world is available for download.

So I guess the real question for someone living in the US is when will h.264 become widespread, when will there be a real need as opposed to 'it would be nice' to have the capability to playback h.264.

digitalkid2
post #460 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
rrg
Advanced Member

My own answer to the question is that there's enough H.264 content available to me already, so I've bought the 4100 even though I have other media players that can handle MPEG2 content.

Ron Gomes
post #461 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg View Post

My own answer to the question is that there's enough H.264 content available to me already, so I've bought the 4100 even though I have other media players that can handle MPEG2 content.

I hear what you are saying. For the US at the moment and into the near/mid term future, it is really an individuals choice....more based on want than need.

I am at the other end of the spectrum...my cable provider shows no signs of going in that direction and I have not found anything on the internet worth downloading.

However, I am fighting the urge to have the latest and greatest even though I would be hard pressed to find something (based on my likes and dislikes) in h.264 to watch!

digitalkid2
post #462 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Out of curiosity, why did you go through the trouble to use NFS?

I recently setup a server using Linux (Linspire) and it has NFS and I plan on going that route if I purchase a TVIX, however I am doing this not based on knowledge but rather on recommendations.

Hehe... good question.

There are many answers, and one of them was that Netshare wasn't good enough for me as I have spread my media over a few HDD on my PCs (in addition to a NAS). So I wanted to share root, as well as some folders. A NFS server allowed me to do that.
Samba/SMB is no alternative for streaming DVD/HD.

Wrt. Linux. I know relatively nothing about it (except my office runs Linux and Unix on its development network, while on the other networks its all Windows).
Also, haven't been bothered setting up a Linux box at home (as I sometimes do play games), and the workload with support of my own PCs, my girlfriend as well as most of my friends PCs don't inspire me to charter into unknown territory with Linux...

Well, I better go home and support the PCs and the Mrs.
post #463 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You will need NFS with high bitrate material, irrespective of whether it is mpeg2, or h.264.
I live in the U.S., and I along with MANY others have been waiting for over a year for capable h.264 hardware players to become avaliable. Finally, I have found TONS of interesting h.264 content, with more and more avaliable every day.

BTW-I hooked up the 4100 last night quickly using the HDMI borrowed from my HD-DVD player and find it unreliable in establishing handshakes, and more disturbingly, the audio drops out(both mpeg 2 and h.264) consistently within 5 seconds of initiating playback. I will try component analog out connections tonight to see if it is an HDMI gremlin.

I have no hard drive installed in the device at the moment.

I was watching battlestar galactica 1920x1080 h.264 transport streams last night over the network.

Initially powering up, the system defaulted to French language-strange. A reboot was required after going into system setup to fix this.

Finally, I see a new production release firmware already up on the tvix ftp site.
post #464 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I was watching battlestar galactica 1920x1080 h.264 transport streams last night over the network.

Does this mean this played without any problems?
post #465 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 10:43 AM

qz3fwd said:
Quote:

Finally, I have found TONS of interesting h.264 content, with more and more avaliable every day.

Where exactly are you finding this stuff? I can not seem to find the right words to put into Google to find h.264 video.

Thanks

digitalkid2
post #466 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Guys ,
Considering the fact that most of the X264 HD stuff over the Internet is in the MKV format and that the TVIX-4100/5100 DOES NOT support the mkv format , what are the major differences between the 4100/5100 to 4000/5000 series ?

Thanks
post #467 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:

qz3fwd said:

Where exactly are you finding this stuff? I can not seem to find the right words to put into Google to find h.264 video.

Thanks

Newsgroups like alt.binaries.hdtv and alt.binaries.hdtv.repost
post #468 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iland View Post

Guys ,
Considering the fact that most of the X264 HD stuff over the Internet is in the MKV format and that the TVIX-4100/5100 DOES NOT support the mkv format , what are the major differences between the 4100/5100 to 4000/5000 series ?

Thanks

I see lots of people making this comment about h264 stuff all being in mkv containers but its depends where you get your stuff. I have a number of h264 files and I only have one set of files which are mkv contained and they are not even h264 files.
post #469 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Damn... can I come and visit

Soon, I'm gonna drag my sorry self into my HT and watch the downgraded version. Better sprite it up with a single malt
post #470 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 06:06 PM

I just got my unit from Digital Connection (great price and great service as usual). After installing the latest firmware, I noticed a few features that the 4000 didn't have:

-NTSC/PAL Auto Switch now works for DVD ISOs. If you watch a PAL DVD ISO, it switches to 50hz. If you watch a NTSC DVD ISO, it switches to 60hz.

-Step (single frame advance) works for DVD ISOs. Previously it was only available for regular video files like mpegs and avis. However, this feature is now not working properly for regular video files. It stops advancing frames after it advances a single frame.
post #471 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 08:21 PM

I just received my unit and read the directions but I am at a complete loss as to how to hook this up to my home network. I bought a 4100 with a hd installed. I have a windows xp with sp2 computer, wired to my linksys router and I plugged the 4100 into my router with the ethernet cable. I have no idea what to do next in order to get my computer to see the 4100. I am sorry this is such a newb question but I simply dont know what to do next. The instruction manual is not too helpful to me, it references a number of windows to open that are different than what my computer has. I am using XP Home btw. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #472 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Norgoth, you have 2 options for accessing content.
Network sharing using SMB or NFS.
Regardless, you will need the ip address of the computer you want to share files from.
On windows xp/vista open a command prompt and type ipconfig followed by enter,
Look for somthing like 192.168.001.006 (write it down) You enter this address into the tvix network share settings dialog.
You should use the tvix netshare nfs server for high bitrate hdtv files if you have any. you also can plug the usb cable i and copy files from your pc to the internal hard drive to get you going. When youre done copying files, remove the usb cable.

Good luck
post #473 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 PM

nice... a copy function--

TVIX HD M-4100SH/M-5100SH Firmware 1.0.13

Changes from 1.0.11
- Fix Video noise bug while playing H.264 TS/TP files
- Add progress bar while copying files
- Fix a bug related repeat settings while slidshow
- Fix a bug related bookmark deletion
- Add OSD for German, Spanish, Spanish(Mexico), Czech

Currently, known issue.
- If you press title key to select subtitle while playing video(except DVD), TVIX will crash when there is no subtitle files. This will be fixed in the next release.
- If there is a progressive jpeg files which TVIX does not support, the slideshow may crash.

You can copy files in your TVIX UI.
1. In the folder that has source files, press Function key and select Copy Icon then you will see Source on the right top of the screen.
2. Select files using Ok button. (If you press 0(zero), the selection will be inverted)
3. After selection, press Function key again and then the OSD will changed to Target from Source.
4. Navigate to the folder where you want to copy, and press Function key again then select Copy icon.
post #474 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sckramer View Post

nice... a copy function--

Changes from 1.0.11

Currently, known issue.
- If you press title key to select subtitle while playing video(except DVD), TVIX will crash when there is no subtitle files. This will be fixed in the next release.
- If there is a progressive jpeg files which TVIX does not support, the slideshow may crash.

1. In the folder that has source files, press Function key and select Copy Icon then you will see Source on the right top of the screen.
2. Select files using Ok button. (If you press 0(zero), the selection will be inverted)
3. After selection, press Function key again and then the OSD will changed to Target from Source.
4. Navigate to the folder where you want to copy, and press Function key again then select Copy icon.

ftp://ftp.dvico.com/Products/TViX/Fi...100_1.0.13.zip
post #475 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 PM

Can someone please check if this unit supports closed captions from NTSC DVDs (VOB or ISO doesn't matter)?

I expect regular subtiles to work fine, but some DVDs only deliver closed captions and here in Europe the majority of TV sets don't have a built-in decoder for that stuff. Thanks!
post #476 of 2858 Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Changes from 1.0.11

I gave the new firmware a spin and I noticed they also fixed the bugs that affected the time elapsed and time remaining display when you pushed the info button.
post #477 of 2858 Old 05-11-2007, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes - it works, and that is a very, very nice addition to an already impressive box! Anyway, the original info on how to make a copy are rather skimpy, so below is an example of how to do it:

Example on how to copy a file from USB connection 1 to USB connection 2 (I've only got two USB memory sticks, and still no HD, which I ordered - sorry!)

a) Go to the directory containing the file(s) you'd like to copy
b) Press "Function" button (third from the left on the second row from the bottom on the remote) and then the "OK" button. Now you are in "source mode".
c) Using the up/down keys, highlight the file(s) you'd like to copy. To select it/them, just click the "OK" button. Multiple copies are allowed.
d) When your selection is complete, press the button "Function" again. Now you are in "target mode".
e) To change drive, press the left arrow button on the remote, select the new drive with left/right arrow buttons and confirm your choice pressing the OK button.
f) When you are on the selected destination drive, press the Fuction button and then the OK button.

That's it!

Please note that the images on the "Copy/Eject" panel are somewhat scrambled on my system (of course the FW is the latest version), so they are not easy to recognize. I have also noticed that sometimes when you copy a file at the root level of a drive, the list of files is not updated (i.e. you can't see the newly added file) unless you select a different drive and go back to the original one.

Hope this helps!
post #478 of 2858 Old 05-11-2007, 04:27 AM

QZ3FWD,

Thank you for the reply. I do not know what SMB or NFS are. I do intend to transfer HD content over the network if possible. Should I go to their website and install NFS then? Will it effect the rest of my network or does it relate just to the connection to the TVIX? I am interpreting from what you said that on a LAN my computer cannot "see" the Tvix, but that once I input the IP address of my computer into the Tvix, then the Tvix will be able to see my computer. Is that correct? Also, I have DHCP turned on in my router, how does tvix handle that?

I did do the connection with the USB cable and that works fine. I did the firmware upgrade that way and transfered a video file. I suppose if the network LAN setup is too complicated for me I could always use my USB flash drive to transfer files over?

Thank you very much for helping me out here.
post #479 of 2858 Old 05-11-2007, 05:24 AM

Has anyone else tried to play a WVC1 encoded wmv file yet? I tried one last night and got a popup that said it was an unavailable codec. I thought the 4100 could play WMV9 Advanced Profile files.
post #480 of 2858 Old 05-11-2007, 06:53 AM

On page 28 of the manual for the M-4100SH it mentions (very briefly) FTP capability. Can anyone here elaborate on this? Can the M-4100SH act as an FTP server, and if so, are the transfer speeds reasonably fast? This might be the main way I'd need to transfer files onto the on-board hard drive.

At my apartment each room has an ethernet receptacle internet access coming out of the wall, but I don't have access to the router... it's in a utility room elsewhere in the complex. I'm not big into networking, but within my apartment it's not a LAN environment somehow -- each plug is more isolated than that, such that I've never been able to connect to shared folders using windows networking for computers in different parts of the house.

I'm worried that if I plug the M-4100SH into my living room it won't be able to "see" my computer in the office for streaming purposes. This concern would be somewhat mitigated if the FTP ability briefly referred to in the user manual is any good.

Thanks for any info.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page