Tvix M-4100SH and M5100SH - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2858 Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Download netshare from the tvix website, double click to install on your computer, start the software after setting the location of the shared directory (if the service isnt automatically started), open a command prompt and type ipconfig and write down the ip address something like 192.168.001.004, goto the tvix setup and select NFS share and enter the pc's ip address, then select the network share on the top of the tvix screen and presto-there is all your content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2858 Old 05-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a few posts about people experiencing sound dropping out at various times throught movies. Today, my kids were watching Simpsons Season 8 for about 4 hours straight and the sound didn't drop out one time. The unit ran quietly and didn't get too hot, either. I then loaded some more files onto the internal HDD for about another hour. The unit seems to be pretty robust so far.
post #543 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 AM
awx
AVS Special Member

How hot does it normally get? Can you run a 4000/4100 in a relatively hot environment with room temp over 80F (excepting hard drive failures)? I was considering an AppleTV but I understand that those get really hot and I need something that will work in 80F+ environment during the summer.

PSN: YstadYakuza
post #544 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 12:37 AM

This thing can't play segmented .ts files seemlessly? My old snazio 1350 can do that.

And yes, there is a good reason to segment .ts files. It's not a win 98 thing. The smaller pieces are easier to archive and repair with. If you're going to break a 20 gig movie up into 100mb pieces so it will fit across 5 dvds, why on earth would you even bother joining them all?

Assuming your player can play them in a row, which doesn't sound like a very tall order. The snazio is a sigma based player, so you can't say it's a sigma problem.

The next sigma chip intrigues me...but can the tvix 4100 and 5100 really not play ts files back to back?
post #545 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapittboss View Post

I've read a few posts about people experiencing sound dropping out at various times throught movies. Today, my kids were watching Simpsons Season 8 for about 4 hours straight and the sound didn't drop out one time. The unit ran quietly and didn't get too hot, either. I then loaded some more files onto the internal HDD for about another hour. The unit seems to be pretty robust so far.

The sound drop outs I'm getting are occuring on some H.264 videos like the Nine Inch Nails one on Apple's site:
http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd...nin_m1080p.mov (1080p H.264)

Each time I play it, the sound drops out at a different spot and never returns. Anyone have better luck getting the sound to play for the entire length of the video?
post #546 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 AM

qzefwd, norgoth, ect,
Thanks for the info., my network sharing is working now. It seemed like I had done everything that you stated before. I unistalled the netshare program and then reinstalled it and it worked. Don't know why it didn't work before, but whatever. Thanks again to all that offered advice. And my streams look tremendous-just as good as on the hard disk in my Tvix unit (everything from ISO's to hi def .m2ts files from my HDV camcorder. The blu ray burner I bought should be arriving this week so I will test the streams from some ripped blu rays to let people know how that goes, though I already read here that it appears to work pretty well.
post #547 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:00 AM

Glad it is working for you Dobeman. If I might inquire, what version of Windows are you using?

Are any other posters here using Windows XP Home with SP2. I want to rule out that version of XP as the culprit of my networking issues. Though, once again, I am guessing that not receiving an IP address has anything to do with Windows anyhow.
post #548 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick question on playing back DVDs- if set to progressive output, does the Tvix do inverse telecine deinterlacing that is comparable in quality to a dedicated DVD player? Or would I have to give that up in exchange for convenience? Not so concerned about having DCDi (no media players do, right?) since most of my DVDs are from film sources.
post #549 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

You have to run netshare as "run as administrator" on vista, otherwise it wouldnt work for me.

Cars in hd looks awesome.
post #550 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 AM

I should add that I'm using WizdXP with my snazio 1350, and I see the wizdxp site mentions that it can play segmented ts flawlessly. So this might be a feature of the media streaming software and not the box itself.

Is WizdXP considered nfs or smb? And does it work with the tvix boxes?
post #551 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post

I should add that I'm using WizdXP with my snazio 1350, and I see the wizdxp site mentions that it can play segmented ts flawlessly. So this might be a feature of the media streaming software and not the box itself.

I am fairly certain it is smb and that it will not work with TVIX boxes...but then again it would be quite easy to just give it a try and find out first hand!

BTW I find WIZD less problem matic than WIZDXP. The difference between the two is that WizdXP provides a nicer GUI...but at least for me the GUI had a few bugs.

There is also a Linux version of WIZD that I use on a Linux server...works quite nicely.

digitalkid2
post #552 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 AM

Well, in an odd way I am happy to report that my LAN port on the Tvix is dead as a door nail. Using a crossover cable I plugged the Tvix directly into my computer's ethernet port and there is no recognition by my LAN card that anything has been plugged in. The LAN port is not sending out any signal. I would tend to open the unit to check if there is a loose connection but since this is a brand new unit, I will alert Digital Connection to the problem and get a replacement quickly I hope.
post #553 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Glad to see the xover cable confirmed your suspicions. Replacement might take a while to come through as it looks like their on back-order now
post #554 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Aww damn-it! Digital Connection is back ordered! I KNEW I should have ordered a couple of days ago.

Anybody else in the entire USA selling these things besides Digital Connection?
post #555 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 02:54 PM

I hope DC gets more soon. My wife likes it so much she wants me to get one for the kids so they can watch all their movies without risking ruining the original disks (they add up quickly) Do you think the 4000 would work well enough to just play ripped DVD's? (kids movies, nothing HD) The 4100 is my first unit like this ever so I really don't know what to compare it to. From reading threads on them, I'm not to sure how stable the 4000 is. Opinions?
post #556 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 03:42 PM

I'ver been trying off & on since Friday to get the 4100SH to communicate with my Linkstation Live NAS on my little network, but only get "Unable to connect to disk."
I've gone in the Network section of the 4100SH, set it to: Wired, DHCP, TVIX Net info has correct IP 192.168.1.75, then go to Net Disk 1, set Samba slow, Server Name:\\\\HS-HDGLF83\\TVIXHD1, the Server IP 192.168.1.69. Exit and Save, it goes to what should be directory screen, then shows thje ERROR screen. HS-HDGLF83 is the NAS Host name. Went into the NAS, made a Share folder, called TVIXHD1, made VIDEO, MUSIC, PHOTO folders in it. Is all this right? Feel like I'm "spinnin my wheels", "not to brag", but my Netgear EVA8000 only took 30 mins to connect up on my network and stream videos from the NAS.

Any advice WOULD be APPRECIATED! I want to learn!
post #557 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapittboss View Post

I hope DC gets more soon. My wife likes it so much she wants me to get one for the kids so they can watch all their movies without risking ruining the original disks (they add up quickly) Do you think the 4000 would work well enough to just play ripped DVD's? (kids movies, nothing HD) The 4100 is my first unit like this ever so I really don't know what to compare it to. From reading threads on them, I'm not to sure how stable the 4000 is. Opinions?

For DVDs, the 4000 should be just fine. The big difference that 4100 adds over 4000 is H.264 support.
post #558 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In my case, the playback of the network original of the same H.264 file has audio dropouts and other frame rate anomalies that make it unwatchable when played over the network with the M4100, but, a local copy of the same file is perfectly fine.

I am able to play the network original file over the same switch and network using a Core 2 Duo PC in PowerDVD and other H.264 software just fine.

I eliminated the switch locall to the M4100 so that there is only a single GB Lan switch between the Server and the M4100, but, I got the same results.

The M4100's file copy speed of a 8.5/16GB file over the network is very very slow compared to a PC.

I do not want to consider using the M4100 with the idea that all video files to be copied to the internal HDD for playback.

I am using DHCP on both the Server and the M4100.

Should setting both the M4100 & the Server to Static IP addresses make any difference in the M4100 playback?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas when the only devie on the LAN that is not operating properly is the M4100?

Murray Kerdman
post #559 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 06:14 PM

I hope this isn't secret info - but I just got a message saying that Tivxbox received a delivery of 4100's on Friday (currently in customs) - don't know how many - those wanting one might want to give them a call.
post #560 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

In my case, the playback of the network original of the same H.264 file has audio dropouts and other frame rate anomalies that make it unwatchable when played over the network with the M4100, but, a local copy of the same file is perfectly fine.

I am able to play the network original file over the same switch and network using a Core 2 Duo PC in PowerDVD and other H.264 software just fine.

I eliminated the switch locall to the M4100 so that there is only a single GB Lan switch between the Server and the M4100, but, I got the same results.

The M4100's file copy speed of a 8.5/16GB file over the network is very very slow compared to a PC.

I do not want to consider using the M4100 with the idea that all video files to be copied to the internal HDD for playback.

I am using DHCP on both the Server and the M4100.

Should setting both the M4100 & the Server to Static IP addresses make any difference in the M4100 playback?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas when the only devie on the LAN that is not operating properly is the M4100?

I don't have a TViX box yet but have a fair bit of experience with embedded processors. I believe that the box is operating correctly, but there are significant issues in asking an embedded processor (Sigma Design Em8623 in this case) to do so many things at one. The details available on Sigma Design's website are limited but it appears that the chip uses a 200MHz ARM processor. with a video decoder and audio DSP. Expecting a processor of this level to process Ethernet traffic, handle TCP/IP protocol stack, decode the video stream packeting, separate the video data from the audio, decode the video, decode the audio, look for control inputs, upscale DVD resolution outputs to 1080p etc ... . This a lot of work for an embedded processor to do and can't reasonably be compared to a 3GHz dual core PC. A big issue with these sorts of processors and network traffic is that they usually don't have a MMU (memory management unit) that allows for faster task switching and simplification of the SW especially the OS services. The fastest embedded processors can keep up or exceed a desktop processors in raw processing performance, but always seem to lack in networking performance. It looks like the next generation of Sigma Designs processors will have more horsepower and the designers are looking forward to that boost to get past some of these limitations.

Ethernet was designed to allow as many users as possible at once, and specifically not to guarantee bandwidth to anyone user. There have been multiple efforts to add QoS (Quality of Service) features to networking, but none have really gotten anywhere.

Static vs Dynamic IP shouldn't make any difference as it just needs to get an IP address from a DHCP server rather than read it from a configuration file so there are no differences once the connection is established.

I guess the bottom line is that embedded processors just aren't good at sustaining network bandwidth.
post #561 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

"Server Name:\\\\HS-HDGLF83\\TVIXHD1"
Whats this? I have 3 tvix boxes and only ever specified the ip address and made sure the tvixhd1 share was setup properly with userid/password. Maybe this is your problem?
To be honest, I didnt even know you could enter this info.
post #562 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan118 View Post

Yes, the "secret" of your snazio's seamless playback of segmented files is very likely that you're using WizD, which is neither SMB nor NFS but rather uses a different sort of protocol named UPnP to get around the buggy SMB implementations on the Sigma boxes (except, as mentioned before, the Ziova). And, as digitalkid2 said, TViX does not support UPnP, so WizD is not an option here.
post #563 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

Murray--

You must use NFS to play HD files over LAN with the TViX. The simplest way to set that up is to run NetShare from the DViCo site on your PC and use that to establish an NFS share between your PC and TViX.

It sounds as though you're playing files over ordinary Windows shares, which doesn't work for HD files.
post #564 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Has anyone else tried using a WiFi connection to their network? I bought the Linksys WUSB54GC recommended by the TViX manual(s), but cannot get it to work. The device seems to recognize it, but when I try to select the "Search Wi-Fi Network" menu item in the Network setup screen, nothing happens. Looks like the selection is just not taking as I can navigate back and forth at that time. If I press it and leave the box alone for a long time, I don't see anything either. This is very frustrating. Any ideas?
post #565 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Does this make a difference, my Linkstation NAS harddrive file format is XFS, the 4100SH manual states doing internal drives with NTFS or Fat 32. Could this be why the 4100SH can't connect to my NAS?
post #566 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

No-filesystem is transparent across network shares. NTFS/FAT/ext2/3/xfs/.... will only matter when you put the drive into the tvix box.
post #567 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No. TViX doesn't care what is the format of your NAS HDD. You evidently haven't got the networking parameters set up consistently on your NAS and on TViX.
post #568 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salavs View Post

Has anyone else tried using a WiFi connection to their network? I bought the Linksys WUSB54GC recommended by the TViX manual(s), but cannot get it to work. The device seems to recognize it, but when I try to select the "Search Wi-Fi Network" menu item in the Network setup screen, nothing happens. Looks like the selection is just not taking as I can navigate back and forth at that time. If I press it and leave the box alone for a long time, I don't see anything either. This is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Check out the M4000 and M5000 threads. There are others who've posted information on setting this up and the process hasn't changed much, AFAIK.
post #569 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Just finished watching a 2 hour movie from my usb 2.0 external dvd rom drive connected to the tvix..

My buddy had a video that was in H264 1080i TS file.. with DD 5.1...

When playing movie, movies plays smooth but audio every once in while has a very tiny click sound..

Here is where it really gets weird...

I thought that maybe using HDMI for audio into my anthem D2 was the cause, so I decided to hook up the coax digital connection, and just use the HDMI for video.. and.... the sound clicks I was hearing got major worse, almost every 4-7 seconds... Totally unwatchable...

So, decided to reboot system, turn off USB drive and turn it back on.. Once everything was rebooted, same problem.. So, went back to HDMI audio and video, and audio was much better... Meaning, only very small clicks again as first time,, but video perfect..

Now I noticed scratches smudges on dvd, so MAYBE that is the clicking issue.. Maybe h264 is very picky with optical media...

but...

why coax digital output sound very bad.. MAJOR clicks..

Hope some firmware can fix this, and the sluttering problems with DVD ISO playback...
post #570 of 2858 Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM

Norgoth,
Sorry to hear about your porblems with your LAN port, really sucks considering that it might be awhile before they're back in stock at digitalconnection. I think you said you had a hard disk ordered for your 4100. I would just install that and transfer everything over to it, that way it's done for when the new unit arrives. And in the meantime you can use it with the unit that has the dead lan port. I found that it doesn't really take that long to transfer files over to the 4100 by connecting it to your PC via USB (a pain however). Hope your new unit gets to you soon.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page