Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeman View Post

I would agree-don't waste your time. And ISO's look just as good as the original disc.

You may be right, and that's fine. If it's more work than it's worth then I can leave them as is. But, here's my situation... I have several collections of TV series on DVD where I get 4 episodes per disc. Now the way the DVD is setup I have to pick the ISO, then pick the episode, once it's done it will go and wait at the menu. Anyway I want to rip each episode to a named file. I figured I have a new 4100SH might as well do H.264. I figure at night I can que up a DVD and let it run all night, perhaps que up another one before leaving for work. All the "don't waste your time" set aside. I just wanted to know how to make an 4100SH friendly H.264 files from VOBs. If H.264 sucks so bad then maybe I did buy the wrong player.

Havic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havic View Post

You may be right, and that's fine. If it's more work than it's worth then I can leave them as is. But, here's my situation... I have several collections of TV series on DVD where I get 4 episodes per disc. Now the way the DVD is setup I have to pick the ISO, then pick the episode, once it's done it will go and wait at the menu. Anyway I want to rip each episode to a named file. I figured I have a new 4100SH might as well do H.264. I figure at night I can que up a DVD and let it run all night, perhaps que up another one before leaving for work. All the "don't waste your time" set aside. I just wanted to know how to make an 4100SH friendly H.264 files from VOBs. If H.264 sucks so bad then maybe I did buy the wrong player.

Havic

h.264 is a very good lossy codec but you gain absolutely nothing by converting from something to it. You may save some disk space but that is all.

The real benefit to the h.264/4100SH is that you can play video that is ALREADY h.264. Converting perfectly good video to h.264 just for the sake of it does not make sense.

For clarity h.264 will not make the video quality any better...I think you know that but just in case you are thinking that it will. The only reason to convert to h.264 would be to save some disk space....which IMO is easily fixed by adding HDDs

I have a P4 2.53, not a screamer by any means but a 1.5 hour video takes more than 12hrs on my pc to convert and that is not using settings to get the best quality.

Finally, if you do decide to put many many hours of encoding into archiving your DVD collection you should seriously consider a way to back up all that time and effort. But wait a minute that will mean adding more HDDs!

I guess to best way to find out is to give it a go...Over at videohelp.com you can find and down load x.264 codec and use it with virtualdub

another way to go would be to try something like SUPER or purchase the encoder from Apple (Quicktime Pro)

digitalkid2
post #633 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM

I would recommend MeGUI. It is pretty easy to use and has good support for converting DVDs. FWIW, I have done this with my DVDs and I have done it purely for the disk space reason. It's not just a question of buying more disks. It is also either discarding old ones to make space for new ones, or buying a new NAS etc. etc. It is totally a personal choice and I would rather spend 20 minutes once a week queuing up a few DVDs to be burned then spend $150 on another hard drive. To my pedestrian eyes, there is not much loss in video quality for a 3-4x gain in storage space. I do 1.5-2.0GB files per movie at about 1700-2000 kbps bitrate. Basically, computer time is "free" for me Every once in a while, I queue up a few DVDs to be converted and let my Core Duo machine run for 3 days doing the encoding

I used one of Sharktooth's high quality profiles for MeGUI and then started reducing the options until MeGUI told me that my profile was HP@L4 (High Profile at Level 4) compliant. There were just one or two options I had to tweak. MeGUI has a very helpful GUI to take you through this. I tried a few of these files on the 4100 and they worked fine. The stated specs of the chip in the 4100 claim support for HP@L4 and I based all of my encodes on this promise So far things have gone okay.
post #634 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Can't get my VIDEO_TS.IFO file to work. I made my own DVD's from home movies using Pinnacle Studio Plus 10, can't navigate the DVD menu can only play the VOB files.

Ripped a movie using DVD shrink 3.2 and the VIDEO_TS.IFO file plays as expected will full DVD menu control?

Is there a problem with the way Pinnacle Studio Plus 10 writes the VIDEO_TS.IFO file?

Thanks for your help.

PS - Anyone know when the tuner will be released for shipment?
post #635 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Where can I buy 4100/5100 in California?
post #636 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 02:16 PM

I think Digital Connection is in California:
digitalconnection.c0m
post #637 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acteng View Post

x100 firmware != x000 firmware. Understood.

I've been speaking with Eric at Dvico on the issue and he thinks the 2.1.4 firmware will support the tuner. I've got the 2.1.5 beta firmware downloaded and will try that if there is any problem with the T410 tuner in my 4000PA unit.

Eric has also stated that the current products (including the x100 units, I believe) will not support pausing live TV and time shifting broadcast HD content, but it is planned for later products. I'll just have to wait until the recording is done to watch the show, oh well.

I just bought the M4000PA with T410 tuner and the tuner doesn't seem to work. The latest firmware is 2.1.0? Dvico released a product without the firmware to run it? How do I get the beta versions you refer to?
post #638 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac21 View Post

PS - Anyone know when the tuner will be released for shipment?

When the software is tested, released and approved by our beta testers.
post #639 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sckramer View Post

it's not like DVD's are even close reference quality! stock dvd's themselves are compressed (mpeg2)

DVD's look blurry once your exposed to Hi def content!!

But re-encoding them in MPEG-4 will make them more, not less, fuzzy! And it wastes the time and energy to do the conversion to boot. It's a dumb idea, sorry.
post #640 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robena View Post

Could you give us some pointers about remuxing or prefilterig?

Thanks.

Some tools I have used:

TSremux, see doom9 forum.
XMUXER Pro (Elecard).
TSREADER to analyze transport streams.
H264paramreader (comes with DVBVIEWER) to analyze the H264 stream.

It seems TVIX 4100 accepts only very simple h264 TS muxes, all other are rejected.

BDLAB
post #641 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Is anyone using this thing with Wi-Fi. I have been scouring the older 4000/5000 threads but for the life of me I am unable to figure out how to get this to work. The 4100 seems to recognize my WiFi device (Linksys WUSB54GC) as the option to enable Wi-Fi network lights up, however when I try to select the "Search Wi-Fi Network" menu option in the "Network" screen, nothing happens!! Literally, it's like the menu is not even enabled to do anything. I tried contacting tvix support on their site but did not get anything helpful from them. DigitalConnection/Kei, is it possible for you to find out whether anyone at TViX has even tried this unit with wi-fi? Wired network works fine so I don't think its anything with my general networking setup, but wired is not an option in my house. No Wi-Fi is a deal breaker for me.
post #642 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by importtuner View Post

For those familiar with the TVix lineup, just to reiterate and make sure I understand this.....the main differences between the 4000 and the 4100 are the h.264 playback/SATA HDD/HDMI output/1080p?

If I were to be using the player for Divx/Xvid files and DVD ISOs (via DVI/Component), then I should be fine with the 4000/5000 right?

Sorry for the newb question, just want to make sure of things so I can save myself 100 bucks or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russland View Post

The problem is that Havic invested his money into the 4100SH player that can play the new video formats. If he leaves his collection as ISO files then he could just buy 4000SA player which is cheaper. In order to justify the higher cost we need to save on disk space somehow.

Even if the 4000 is good enough, isn't it logical to assume that getting the 4100 is a smarter choice due to the likelihood of 4000 firmware updates slowing down (even stopping) considerably while 4100 firmware updates continue at a rapid pace?

Isn't the 4000 model now in a state of stagnation?
post #643 of 2858 Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havic View Post

Havic

Try Handbrake. It's really easy to use.
post #644 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlab View Post

Some tools I have used:
TSremux, see doom9 forum.
XMUXER Pro (Elecard).

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, none of these two tools work with a Cinemax HD H.264 sample I have, and that is not supported by the 4100.

I guess that we will have to wait for a new firmware, or for VideRedoPlus to support H.264.

Edit: I finally managed to make Xmuxer pro work on my clip. I should get my 4100 soon to test the result. (I know that the 4100 does not support this clip because a friend tested it already).

Robert
post #645 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

But re-encoding them in MPEG-4 will make them more, not less, fuzzy! And it wastes the time and energy to do the conversion to boot. It's a dumb idea, sorry.

I don't understand the hostility, this isn't a dumb idea at all. I see two camps here and both are reasonable.

Some want highest quality and ISO is the source so you can't improve on that, while any compression scheme will have some loss, you can control the bitrate and maintain an image as good as the original Mpeg4 on which H.264 is based is a much better codec than Mpeg2. A H.264 should be half the size of a DVD for the same quality (twice the number of movies on a disk).

Others value the storage capabilities of a Tvix, a 700MB Divx doesn't look as good as a 4.4GB DVD ISO but it looks fine to me for an average movie. I'll use higher quality for the better movies (Matrix, Lord of the Rings, King Kong etc...) but for a comedy, kids movie or romance movie (for the wife of course) a 700MB DivX is fine and the difference isn't notible. Now you can fit six movies in the place of one ISO. 600 Divx movies per 500 GB disk vs 100 ISOs.

The beauty of a box like the Tvix is that I can have some movies that I really value in best quality and others that don't require it, can be stored more efficiently.

This isn't a bad idea, just a different set of priorities.
post #646 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagercam View Post

I don't understand the hostility, this isn't a dumb idea at all. I see two camps here and both are reasonable.

Some want highest quality and ISO is the source so you can't improve on that, while any compression scheme will have some loss, you can control the bitrate and maintain an image as good as the original Mpeg4 on which H.264 is based is a much better codec than Mpeg2. A H.264 should be half the size of a DVD for the same quality (twice the number of movies on a disk).

Others value the storage capabilities of a Tvix, a 700MB Divx doesn't look as good as a 4.4GB DVD ISO but it looks fine to me for an average movie. I'll use higher quality for the better movies (Matrix, Lord of the Rings, King Kong etc...) but for a comedy, kids movie or romance movie (for the wife of course) a 700MB DivX is fine and the difference isn't notible. Now you can fit six movies in the place of one ISO. 600 Divx movies per 500 GB disk vs 100 ISOs.

The beauty of a box like the Tvix is that I can have some movies that I really value in best quality and others that don't require it, can be stored more efficiently.

This isn't a bad idea, just a different set of priorities.

Half the size with the same quality....I think not! You always lose something...h.264 is NOT magic. The larger the TV screen the more you will see the loss in quality.

IMO, which is quite similar to TPeterson's, re-encoding is a grand waste of time unless you are going to view it on a hand held device...but then I also think watching video on a tiny screen is a waste of time.

I agree that it is a different set of priorities, likes and dislikes, each to his or her own so to speak. However, IMO, the most efficient use of one's resources is to add more HDDs and to get rid of the stuff that you feel does not matter enough to have high picture quality. Keeping a bunch of low PQ video, video that you will only watch once, video that you spend time re-encoding is IMO very inefficient.

digitalkid2
post #647 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 07:56 AM

i agree i'd leave the best movies from dvd's alone, heck i find it hard to justify even ripping my own dvd's---

but... how about rentals -- I rip those, run them thru autogk everytime-- and that way I have the ISO or xvid file to either watch later or throw out at our leisure

still-- going from a 8gb DVD to a 2.1GB (1/3 a DVDR) xvid seems way to close the original to justify the 6GB -- *IF* you want them always online for selection

and i've noticed the xvid/divx codec has gotten really good lately--
post #648 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 AM

I like the idea of having different compressions for different movies. My favorite movies have the least compression and my lesser watched (by me) have more compression. My kids don't complain about the video quality of a Scooby Doo rip, they're just excited to watch it. They think the technology of watching ripped movies from a networked HDD is very cool. And my kids are young; 7, 8 and 10 years old. This is the future. I tend to look at the HDD space in monetary terms. The last drive I bought is a 500G for $119. So an average 5G rip is about a buck. A kids XVID/DVIX rip is about 1/2 that. 100 kids movies for $50 is better than $100 plus it leaves more room for me on the HDD. Just my opinion, thanks for listening
post #649 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei Clark View Post

When the software is tested, released and approved by our beta testers.

My T410 tuner arrived on Monday. I guess I'm a beta tester ;-) I'm using the 2.1.5A firmware (4000PA) which is available on the dvico ftp site. Some initial observations:

+ great picture!!!
+ recording and playback works well

- no subtitles!
- long pause switching from DTV mode to PLAYER mode
- ATSC receiver is not very sensitive and I get lots of dropouts and pixelation
- cannot do time shifting or "chasing playback" like a regular DVR can

My antenna is in the attic so I'm probably getting lots of multipath interference, but still the TVIX tuner does not perform as well as my Samsung "4th gen" ATSC tuner SIR-T451. The chipset used in my T410 tuner is the XCEIVE 3028 -- one of these new whiz bang high integration tuner chips.

I plan to move the antenna outside to see if that helps. It's odd-- the TVIX shows a solid signal at >75% for a minute or so, then it drops to zero for a few seconds, then back up to 75% and the picture is stable again. Multipath? Airplanes? I dunno. Some of the channels that were rock solid on my Samsung STB aren't even detected when the TVIX does its channel scan. Sometimes the TVIX detects *some* of the sub-channels but not others. e.g. 7.1, 7.2 are detected, but not 7.3??? Same transport stream, same carrier freq. What's up with that?
post #650 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM

Has anyone tried connecting the Tvix 4100 through a home network to an HP Media Vault(a home NSD)? Being a newbie what are the basic settings for the Tvix to recognize this storage device and does it need a folder labeled tvixhd1. I would prefer not to have my PC on when accessing the Media Vault files. The Media Vault is connected to a Linksys router and the Tvix networked to the router. Thanks for any help or advice!
post #651 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 09:19 AM

wow, there's alot of work to do on these things!-- I was trying to watch an episode of 24 (xvid) last night thru the network(NFS) -- even xvid/divx bomb out randomly-- it happened twice in two diff places, restarting the file, it would not bomb out at the same places--

this is with no usb, or harddisk installed, pure network

this has to be the simplest thing, I ended up watching it on my dsm-520 no problem
post #652 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkid2 View Post

I agree that it is a different set of priorities, likes and dislikes, each to his or her own so to speak. However, IMO, the most efficient use of one's resources is to add more HDDs and to get rid of the stuff that you feel does not matter enough to have high picture quality. Keeping a bunch of low PQ video, video that you will only watch once, video that you spend time re-encoding is IMO very inefficient.

That is a truism, if you only watch it once. But I often record travel or history TV shows that I watch once in the original format, and then re-encode with DivX for archival purposes. It is useful if you are visiting an area and can view the show again. There are undoubtedly other uses as well. Not every program is worth it. But with faster PC's, the penalty becomes less and less. If/when I upgrade to an ATI card with Avivo processing, the penalty becomes much less even on my 2.4 GHz P4. And the new Penryn and Nehalem processors will make it insignificant, as least for standard definition TV.
post #653 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:

wow, there's alot of work to do on these things!-- I was trying to watch an episode of 24 (xvid) last night thru the network(NFS) -- even xvid/divx bomb out randomly-- it happened twice in two diff places, restarting the file, it would not bomb out at the same places--

this is with no usb, or harddisk installed, pure network

this has to be the simplest thing, I ended up watching it on my dsm-520 no problem

Not good to hear-there is a bug list on the 4100-make sure you post this there-it is a sticky I think on this forum
post #654 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 01:08 PM

I am trying to convert an MKV file to avi so that I can watch it on the 4100. The video is h.264 and the audio is ac3.

I don't want to transcode the video to Divx or Xvid because of the time involved, and also I don't want to lose quality.

I used MKVExtract the extract the .h264 and .ac3 files but now I can't find a program to will mux them, AVI-Mux won't load the .h264 file and when I load the .mkv directly it will only save back to .mkv.

Has anyone figured out a way to do this, or some other way to convert h.264 mkv to avi without transcoding?
post #655 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00dfella View Post

Has anyone figured out a way to do this, or some other way to convert h.264 mkv to avi without transcoding?

Try elecard xmuxer pro (with the avc plugin).
www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12425
post #656 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

i agree i'd leave the best movies from dvd's alone, heck i find it hard to justify even ripping my own dvd's---

but... how about rentals -- I rip those, run them thru autogk everytime-- and that way I have the ISO or xvid file to either watch later or throw out at our leisure

still-- going from a 8gb DVD to a 2.1GB (1/3 a DVDR) xvid seems way to close the original to justify the 6GB -- *IF* you want them always online for selection

and i've noticed the xvid/divx codec has gotten really good lately--

I agree. Although I haven't purchased the 4100 yet, I have converted about half my DVDs to a 500GB disk in prepartion. I do have some ISO's copied for some of DVDs that seem more appropriate. I converted all the kid dvds to 1.4GB Xvid and most of my movies to ~2.1GB (depending on length). I think the quality is great for the space taken. 250 movies on a hard drive is a great solution for me.
post #657 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salavs View Post

Is anyone using this thing with Wi-Fi. I have been scouring the older 4000/5000 threads but for the life of me I am unable to figure out how to get this to work. The 4100 seems to recognize my WiFi device (Linksys WUSB54GC) as the option to enable Wi-Fi network lights up, however when I try to select the "Search Wi-Fi Network" menu option in the "Network" screen, nothing happens!! Literally, it's like the menu is not even enabled to do anything. I tried contacting tvix support on their site but did not get anything helpful from them. DigitalConnection/Kei, is it possible for you to find out whether anyone at TViX has even tried this unit with wi-fi? Wired network works fine so I don't think its anything with my general networking setup, but wired is not an option in my house. No Wi-Fi is a deal breaker for me.

Salvas, I was planning to buy the Linksys USB device. I guess that I will wait until you succeed.
Where did you find the approved WiFi device for the 4100? Also can you tell me how you get the wired network to work. I have been reading the manual, but have not been successful. Thanks in advance.
post #658 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

Salvas, I was planning to buy the Linksys USB device. I guess that I will wait until you succeed.
Where did you find the approved WiFi device for the 4100? Also can you tell me how you get the wired network to work. I have been reading the manual, but have not been successful. Thanks in advance.

ftp://ftp.dvico.com/Manual/TViX/wireless_network2.pdf
post #659 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Yup, that is exactly where I read about it. So far I have had zero success. I am at the point where I am most likely going to be sending this back and trying out the Netgear EVA8000. I should also mention that the 4100 manual makes a vague reference to "check our website for supported wireless devices" but does not specifically point you to this URL. You have to look around to find it :-)

For wired network, I just plugged it into a wire hooked up directly into my Linksys router and it "just worked".
post #660 of 2858 Old 05-17-2007, 04:43 PM
afx

g00dfella...
AVC2AVI to put the extracted h264 into a .avi container. load that into virtualdubmod and mux the .ac3 file with it. don't think any codecs are necessary for the vdubmod to read avi with h264.

Acteng...
short sample of the captured video? what codec does it encode audio and video to? transport streams?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page