Tvix M-4100SH and M5100SH - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am accepted for the review as well but I would like to know for certain that the only difference between the 2 players is the form factor. Otherwise I want the 5xxx model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:20 AM
afx

thanks for the manuals. i skimmed through them.

the comparative table should be updated to include 1080p, as both the 4100 and 5100 outputs them now.

apparently, there's a "usb wireless module". i don't know if this was also available for the previous versions, but there's a section about it in the manuals. "Connect the USB module into enclosed cradle after connecting the AP Router to a PC." "Please refer to the TViX homepage(www.TViX.co.kr/Eng) for a list of compatible wireless devices." the only wireless-related information i could find was a "wireless LAN 802.11b/g option" for the 5000. i don't know if this is a separate usb module, but i believe there's a 5000 model that has wireless built-in. i'd like to know more about wireless capability on the tvix, but it doesn't interest me so much as to buy it ... i believe 802.11b/g is too slow for even dvd streaming, let alone hd streaming.

i could probably just read up on another tvix thread, but i might as well ask here -- after installing the HDD, no formatting has to occur, right? i have a SATA HDD, but it has content on it. i don't want to have to worry about losing all of it or backing it up elsewhere.

i think i might get in on buying on the first shipment. the opportunity is there; i just have to convince myself.
post #93 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meenenator View Post

Anyone know of any European retailers?

M.

And do they give pal boxes?
post #94 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboy View Post

I have been asking for pre-sales info on the 4100 / 5100 and have been helped out quite a bit from a fellow named Jimmy Seo. He could not provide me at the moment any info in regards to maximum bitrate for the H.264 1920x1080 transport stream but he did supply me with user manuals for both the 4100 and the 5100. Cant wait

I found a free file hosting site hope it works out. If you want take a peek you can get user manuals here:

http://www.box.net/shared/ufpyzd4er0

Thanks nastyboy... that was some great reading.

Nothing major has changed, but they have done some effort (according to the pictures in the manual) on mp3 playback. And it seems it will be possible to browse for another song while playing another. Good!

One other thing got my attention. On page 26 (video out settings) the 5100SH can support Auto EDID, 480i/576i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p (although on the line above it says only Auto EDID, 480p/576p etc, i.e no 480i/576i).
I seriously hope they now support 480i/576i on HDMI which would be perfect with my VP30 scaler. The Auto EDID is also good as some scalers can use that and "ask/demand" for 480i/576i output on HDMI regardless of setting.

A few things not described in the manual which I miss:
- rotation of pictures
- max bitrate on H264
- amount of USB devices supported (its says 4 partitions on USB1 and 4 on USB2), not how many USB devices (I know some users here want more than 2 USB drives connected)

M.
post #95 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 AM
afx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm0 View Post

I am accepted for the review as well but I would like to know for certain that the only difference between the 2 players is the form factor. Otherwise I want the 5xxx model.

well, i guess (at least) one difference that carried over for sure is the multi-i/o port on the 5100. so far, the specs have only said they'd be used for the "optional breakout box). as far as i can see on the tvix website, this only includes a dongle that has outputs the tvix units already have. the 2000 has a slightly different one as a car kit though.

i'm not sure how useful it'd be .. i guess if you want to output to 2 multiple displays? i'm not sure if that's even possible. i'm not sure if it's even possible for the ports the unit already has -- can you output via all the av ports at the same time??

and i'm forgetting what the differences were between the original 4000 and 5000. refresh my memory someone?
post #96 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

wtf... while I was writing my reply... you guys managed to write a whole bunch of posts... Are the East US finally awake this morning

M.
post #97 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffeh View Post

And do they give pal boxes?

And by that you mean??

The tvix supports both PAL and NTSC, and also 90-240Volts in.
So there should be no problem getting one from the US except a higher P&P maybe. Thats why I wondered if any in Europe are selling those. I checked the tvix site for retailers (and there are quite a few), but none I checked even mentioned them (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, NL...) I didn't do a troughout check, so I'm happy if anyone knows of suppliers in Europe.
post #98 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 AM

from the T530 spec page

*This model does not support analog (PAL) broadcasting. If you want to use the analog channel, you have to use the RF splitter.

Can't find anything about dvd iso playback btw.
post #99 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 AM

It looks like the device supports NTFS according to specs on DigitalConnection...
I want to put in a 750GB drive into this puppy and only have one partition. This is especially true if I wanna record HD.

Also one thing:

I looked at the manuals and I still see no difference in the models except for the fact that one is square and one is round. Any ideas?
post #100 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

from the T530 spec page

*This model does not support analog (PAL) broadcasting. If you want to use the analog channel, you have to use the RF splitter.

Can't find anything about dvd iso playback btw.

Aah, I see...

Note that the 530 or any of the tvix tuner are digital only. I.e no analog recording without the mentioned RF-splitter.

ISO Playback is mentioned under 1.4 in the manual.

As a side note. A do not think they will make a new model will less functionality than the present 4000/5000 models. If they indeed do that, I recon there will be new firmware quite soon getting us back to the present functionality.
Let's hope that this units start where the present units stops, and not have a whole year waiting for it to finally be useful (as was the case with the 5000).

M.
post #101 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 AM

The TVIX4100 would be my choice hands down if it did not have a limitation on root file sharing and on the number of drives and folders that can be shared...how are you all getting around that?

I have (6) HDD now and will probably be adding another in the next week or so...how would I handle this with the TVIX? I am having a hard time understanding why TVIX would do such a thing. Maybe I have it wrong so please enlighten me.

@Kei Clark;

Your insight on this would be welcomed!

digitalkid2
post #102 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Mount each of the 6 drives to a directory on 1 partition that way you only use 1 of the 4 allowed shares on the tvix and are able to browse all of your drives.

Lets say you have 1 partition on each of the 6 hard drives and each of the 6 data hard drives has only 1 partition and also a 7'th drive as your system drive, call it c:\\
Create something like the following folder's
C:\\Data\\Movies
C:\\Data\\Music
C:\\Data\\Photos
C:\\Data\\DVD
C:\\Data\\HDTV
C:\\Data\\Temp
or whatever you want to call the individual folders. Mount the hard drives something like
C:\\Data\\Movies-->Hard Drive 1-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Music-->Hard Drive 2-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Photos-->Hard Drive 3-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\DVD-->Hard Drive 4-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\HDTV-->Hard Drive 5-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Temp-->Hard Drive 6-Partition 1
post #103 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

Mount each of the 6 drives to a directory on 1 partition that way you only use 1 of the 4 allowed shares on the tvix and are able to browse all of your drives.

Lets say you have 1 partition on each of the 6 hard drives and each of the 6 data hard drives has only 1 partition and also a 7'th drive as your system drive, call it c:\\
Create something like the following folder's
C:\\Data\\Movies
C:\\Data\\Music
C:\\Data\\Photos
C:\\Data\\DVD
C:\\Data\\HDTV
C:\\Data\\Temp
or whatever you want to call the individual folders. Mount the hard drives something like
C:\\Data\\Movies-->Hard Drive 1-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Music-->Hard Drive 2-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Photos-->Hard Drive 3-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\DVD-->Hard Drive 4-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\HDTV-->Hard Drive 5-Partition 1
C:\\Data\\Temp-->Hard Drive 6-Partition 1

Thanks. I am not familiar with mounting a drive to a directory(I run Windows based PCs and I am not very familiar with Lenux), is that the same as mapping a network drive? Or are your instructions specific to the TVIX file sharing software?

digitalkid2
post #104 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Liked: 11
Info in the manual regarding pvr or hdtv functionality seems to be completely absent.
post #105 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripnickus View Post

Info in the manual regarding pvr or hdtv functionality seems to be completely absent.

Thanks for pointing that out. Didnt notice before.

On the 5000 model on page 9 it shows a "Multi I/O" port. Does not mention a TV Tuner port.

On the 4000 model on page 8 it shows an "HD TV Tuner" port on the back.

It's beginning to look like there are some clear differences in these 2 models that the manuals do not show. I guess we wait till someone with close ties to the hardware can tell us what exactly is different on the two.
post #106 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
afx

the tvix.co.kr/eng website shows the tuners. only available for the HD units.

the base units for the hd-4/5xxx have external tuners. T430/T410 for the hd-4xxx. T530/T510 for the hd-5xxx.

the base hd-4xxx has a slot above the fan. this is where its tuner would insert. it's separate, so you have to buy it separate.

the tuner for the hd-5xxx (T530/T510) is a round disc shape; the hd-5xxx unit sits on top of it. it connects to the usb-host port. again, it's separate, so you'd have to buy it separate.

the multi-i/o port that the hd-5xxx has seems to only have one use right now -- "breakout box" that just has extra av outs. doesn't seem necessary. perhaps they'll make more addons for this port in the future.

the website also shows an upgraded version of the hd-5000, which has the tuner built in. apparently, there's also an upgraded version of the hd-4000 with a built in tuner as well, but there's no page on it; it only says in the comparison table. since they're upgrades of the hd-4/5000, they don't support sata HDDs. doesn't matter much to me because it doesn't seem like they will be sold. i'd have to get the base unit and tuner separately.

also seems like there will be an upgraded hd-5100 with built in tuner as well. could be a typo, but doesn't look like there will be an upgraded hd-4100 with a tuner. again, either way, they probably won't make it to the states.
post #107 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalkid2 View Post

Thanks. I am not familiar with mounting a drive to a directory(I run Windows based PCs and I am not very familiar with Lenux), is that the same as mapping a network drive? Or are your instructions specific to the TVIX file sharing software?

Pretty easy, but not obvious.
Go to Control panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, Select the drive you want viewed using a folder on a "master drive" that will be shared.

Right click, Change Drive letter and Paths, Add, Browse for the folder or create a folder on this master drive, OK. Now that drive is seen in that master drive under the folder you created.

Make since?

Jeff
post #108 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjames View Post

Pretty easy, but not obvious.
Go to Control panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, Select the drive you want viewed using a folder on a "master drive" that will be shared.

Right click, Change Drive letter and Paths, Add, Browse for the folder or create a folder on this master drive, OK. Now that drive is seen in that master drive under the folder you created.

Make since?

I will give a go this evening. Thanks

That explains how to mount drives that exist on a particular PC but what about drives on other PCs in my network or on my server which is run by NASLite?

digitalkid2
post #109 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:

hehe... sry if I offended anyone.

As far as I know the 4100/5100 will not playback mkv files, at least not yet. It might come in future if DVICO see that very many of us want it. Can't be that hard to implement.
And if you do have a mkv file you can always de-mux as I said, into a normal avi-file coded in H264 with 1 audio file and separate subtitle file (.srt f.ex).
It is of course a cumbersome (well, it takes a little time and space) procedure, but it's fairly easy.

As to 4100/5100 differences you could add a tuner to either version if you purchased one without the tuner, or you can buy one with tuner integrated (4010/4030 or 5110/5130).
I would suggest that you buy one without the HDD to save some money, and hence buy a seperate HDD and Tvix and install it yourself.

yep i thought as much :-(

yeah does take a while to demux and remux but at least its a step in the right direction
post #110 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:

what's the diffrence between 4100 and 5100? Just the form factor, or are their also technical differences. It's nowhere to be found in the docs...

These sound like incredible units and are exactly what I'm looking for -- an ATSC tuner with a hard drive and network connection. Does the EPG guide data come through the network connection or it is pulled from the ATSC signal like a conventional STB? Can I watch a file from disk while the unit is recording from the ATSC tuner?

I like the black box over the coffee can. The 4000PA/SA + tuner seems to be a good match with my DVI monitor. Any reason for waiting on the newer 4100 unit? Is the 4000PA/SA available anywhere? Seems like mostly pre-orders for the 4100 on the web now.
post #111 of 2858 Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:

I looked at the manuals and I still see no difference in the models except for the fact that one is square and one is round. Any ideas?

The 4000 has a plastic case, the 5000 is aluminium. I expect the same is true of the 4100/5100.
post #112 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen View Post

The 4000 has a plastic case, the 5000 is aluminium. I expect the same is true of the 4100/5100.

That explains why the 5100/5000 are a bit more expensive than the 4100/4000 models. I though originally that it was more work producing a cylinder

Aluminium it is... black polished...hehe

M.
post #113 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Thats why I wondered if any in Europe are selling those. I checked the tvix site for retailers (and there are quite a few), but none I checked even mentioned them (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, NL...) I didn't do a troughout check, so I'm happy if anyone knows of suppliers in Europe.

You could try Pixmania. They carry at least the older models, but beware that they aren't in a good reputation when it comes to warranties and after purchase support. That's where I bought my M-5000. Delivery was fast and luckily I didn't have to test their warranty system.
post #114 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 05:26 AM

Quote:

When did you get your email? I replied several days ago and still have not heard anything! I also emailed their site asking questions regarding manuals/specs and did not even get a reply.....
post #115 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"That explains how to mount drives that exist on a particular PC but what about drives on other PCs in my network or on my server which is run by NASLite?"
Drives mounted on other PC's in your network must be mapped a network share, regardless of if you are trying to map the drives on your PC or Tvix. Once you start talking about network storage, you need to map the drive.
post #116 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post

i could probably just read up on another tvix thread, but i might as well ask here -- after installing the HDD, no formatting has to occur, right? i have a SATA HDD, but it has content on it. i don't want to have to worry about losing all of it or backing it up elsewhere.

The 4000 will recognize a drive formatted using NTFS or FAT32, so if your existing drive is formatted with one of those file systems you should be OK.

-Barry
post #117 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post

the tvix.co.kr/eng website shows the tuners. only available for the HD units.

the base units for the hd-4/5xxx have external tuners. T430/T410 for the hd-4xxx. T530/T510 for the hd-5xxx.

the base hd-4xxx has a slot above the fan. this is where its tuner would insert. it's separate, so you have to buy it separate.

I'm debating between the 4100 and the 4000PA units. I plan to get the ATSC tuner and use it primarily as a STB/PVR and for storing DVD images, music and JPEGs. My monitor is DVI and I'm not sure if it supports HDCP, so plugging it into an HDMI port may not work. Some questions:

What is the benefit of H.264? I understand the compression is better, but will not having it severely impact the usefulness of the box?

Also, has anyone tried the 4000PA (or 4000SA) with the tuner?
Does it make a good standalone PVR?
post #118 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 07:45 PM
afx

not sure about hdcp compliancy .. ask tvix or browse through tvix forums or even the other tvix threads here. if i get my hands on it, i'll surely do some testing.

you pretty much nailed it on the head as far as the benefits of h264. as far as usefulness to you -- do you have a lot of h264 content? do you plan to? do you encode in h264? depends on what you have. i don't have or use h264 content right now, but if i get a 4/5100, it's surely something i'll get used to.

and the reason i'm expressing interest in tvix is because they now have pvr capabilities which seems to be making its way to the states.
post #119 of 2858 Old 04-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniH View Post

You could try Pixmania. They carry at least the older models, but beware that they aren't in a good reputation when it comes to warranties and after purchase support. That's where I bought my M-5000. Delivery was fast and luckily I didn't have to test their warranty system.

There's a firm in London called KJ Global who have quite a lot of Korean products, including the 4000/5000. The tuners are listed but not the 4100/5100 as yet.
post #120 of 2858 Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen View Post

There's a firm in London called KJ Global who have quite a lot of Korean products, including the 4000/5000. The tuners are listed but not the 4100/5100 as yet.

Thanks. The new models are listed now, a little pricey compared to the previous models.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page