We offer Roku HD1000 repair. aka-Photobridge. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am an owner of serveral Roku products, a friend and I have started to repair the Roku HD1000 Photobridge line. Both Rev A&B units.

We fixed my Rev-A unit that had a bad power supply..
We fixed my Rev-B unit that was assigned "unrepairable" status due to a mother board failure.

Not only where we able to fix the units, we did a couple reliablity improvments as well.

Contact Pyramid Audio in Austin, Texas (no, not the Pyramid Car Audio brand) if you want to have your unit serviced.

Pyramid Audio
305 East Braker Ln. / Austin, TX 78753-2746
(512) 458-8292 / fax (512) 453-4542
or email tech@Pyramid-Audio dot com
If you email, please include "HD1000" in the subject.
Their website is
http://www.pyramid-audio.com/

The great news is that it's being done by a real brick and mortar company. Which means you can call someone during working hours and no shipping delay due to being a hobby.
note: The HD1500 is just a HD1000 with "art packs", we can fix those too.

Thanks, Matt Burkhard
2-Roku M1000 (soundbridge)
1-Roku M2000 (soundbridge)
1-Roku R1000 (soundbridge radio)
3-Roku HD1000 (photobridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey Matt,

I called up the shop and they had no idea what I was talking about. I have a Rev B with a bad power supply. Should I mail just the power supply for repair? What rate are you charging? What is the turn-around time? Thanks.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Hey Matt,

I called up the shop and they had no idea what I was talking about. I have a Rev B with a bad power supply. Should I mail just the power supply for repair? What rate are you charging? What is the turn-around time? Thanks.

Hello!
I think we got an email from you today.Not all the front office staff were on board with this yet. We hope to have taken care of that today after telling the staff about this. When I posted this yesterday, we had not had time to tell everyone yet, I applogize...

Anyway, one of the techs should have addressed your questions in the email. Let me know if that was not you.

You have two options, basic and turn-key...

1. Basic: You can send the supply in for a set fee and it will be fixed, parts that we have seen as weak links in the past will be replaced and there will be a power resistor mod to address heat on the capasitors. Note: Due to the heat issues, we do replace the six smaller electroletic capasitors, I just wanted to say that since we all know those little guys get very toasty and even burn up (the power resistor mod will adddress future heat issues of said capasitors). Items like this are changed regardless, if not it would hurt both parties.

2. Turn Key: Send the whole unit in for a set fee, the above stuff will be done, as well as addessing the heat issues on the Mother Board (and fixing the mother board if bad) and then a power supply load test and testing of the whole unit (i.e. audio, video, outputs and such). The second service will be a "turn key" service since you don't have to touch it, except for getting the unit to us.

Another nice feature of our turn-key service is that if you just send the supply and you have a Mother Board issue as well, you will not know untill you get the supply back and the unit is still not 100%. Then you have more down time and shipping. Also, with out the turn key service, you still have not addressed the Mother Board issues.

The turn time should be 2-3 days once we get the unit and we have the parts are in stock. We are stocking up on the items needed for these units. Keep in mind, there are always exceptions, there are bound to be a small amount of HD1000's that are just too sick to fix (i.e. bad transformer, bad CPU) or fall way out of the standard rate, we will call you and discuss the options with you in the slim change this happens. We are also looking into other solutions if we find that we see an increase in the number of very sick units; which at this time, we think will be very, very small.

CAVEAT: Untill we get a few more of these under our belts and have all the details worked out, please call or email for price and turn-around time. Shortly we will have the prices on our website. We don't want to lead anyone down the wrong path and therfore are waiting to post offical prices, time and warranty. However, when you call, what we tell you will be golden. Once again, this is a business, therefore we have to treat the customer right.

I hope this addressed you questions, Matt Burkhard
post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Matt for the quick reply. I did get a response from Chris and am weighing my options. The service seems a little expensive.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Thank you Matt for the quick reply. I did get a response from Chris and am weighing my options. The service seems a little expensive.

No problem!

If you send the unit to the manufacturer and it's the power supply, it's $75 and I am pretty sure you pay shipping both ways, and they only take the whole unit to my knowlege. If it's the mother board, it's unrepairable in most cases.

On the other hand, Pyramid is offering the power supply repair for less then $75 and it's an improved version, verses the same design that failed that you would get for $75. Plus you can just send them the supply if you want, even though we suggest you send the whole thing. We know there are people that know that thier units only current problem is the supply and they are willing to risk the motherboard failure and just want to pay for the supply shipping and we respect that, and is also why we offer just a supply fix for those people.

Then the turn-key service that address it all, even the unrepairable motherboard, is just a little more then $75. So for a little more then what the maunfaturer may charge for just the supply, you get an improved version and the motherboard heat issues are addressed as well.

As I said, I don't want to commit to prices yet on the forum, but I will see what Pyramid wants to do. Perhaps we can post the prices sooner then we wanted to?

In the past , if you had an unrepairable unit, your only choices were $199 and higher for a replacement unit. I know this becasue I have been there, that's where my third unit came from..., now you have a choice/option for just a little more the $75.

One last note, I don't know if you you bought your HD1000 new or used, but most of us that bought them new paid ~$400 for them.

Do me a favor, this is the exact info we need to dial in our price, please email Chris back and tell him your concerns on what and why you think the price is expensive and we can use that data.

Thanks, Matt

Note: If you have a unit that is deemed unrepairable by the manufacturer or you know the supply is good, then the turn-key is still a great option because not only do we repair the unrepairable unit, we also rebuild the supply while we are in there. Once again, it helps both parties.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks to Matt, I now have quite an appreciation for the HD1000. an amazing piece.

In repairing Matt's HD1000's we found the same issues (that I now know) many are having.
The causes seem clear so the repair Pyramid makes should be reliable. You have to replace 8 or 9 parts and add a another.
On the other hand if you can splice wires the substitute power supply is an option. But thats not all you should do and yikes! the pix I have seen posted!
I still need to do a few more measurements of the power demands to convince myself the popular substitute supply is any better.

back soon.

expensive? when your labor is free and the kitchen table is available at no charge, then by comparison it is expensive. ROku chages $75 just to swap the power supply. We estimate our charges are roughly $15 more than that for MB and PS, about $89

"an ounce of application
is worth a ton of abstraction"
Heinlein
post #7 of 21 Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Just a follow up...

Since this post, we were sent a dead power supply that we repaired and modifed (our "basic service").

We also received four complete units that were dead and repaired and modified those for reliability (our "turn-key service"). We have two more on the way as well.

Regards, Matt
post #8 of 21 Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkhardi View Post

Just a follow up...

Since this post, we were sent a dead power supply that we repaired and modifed (our "basic service").

We also received four complete units that were dead and repaired and modified those for reliability (our "turn-key service"). We have two more on the way as well.

Regards, Matt

My unit works but i live in constant fear that this thing is going to just die someday. Do you guys offer an ability to actually turn the unit off completely without disconnecting the power from the unit? As of now, turning the power off simply disengages the video output and stops all services. The device is still switched on and drawing power; and getting friggin hot as stove top. I'd consider sending it in for some preventive maintenance if I could get a toggle switch to truely power it off?

In the case of 'preventive maintenance' would I get my old working power supply back? I'd probabbyl just send the whole thing in as I don't want to be bothered with taking it apart.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

My unit works but i live in constant fear that this thing is going to just die someday. Do you guys offer an ability to actually turn the unit off completely without disconnecting the power from the unit? As of now, turning the power off simply disengages the video output and stops all services. The device is still switched on and drawing power; and getting friggin hot as stove top. I'd consider sending it in for some preventive maintenance if I could get a toggle switch to truely power it off?

In the case of 'preventive maintenance' would I get my old working power supply back? I'd probabbyl just send the whole thing in as I don't want to be bothered with taking it apart.

Hello Drew,
I'll let Chris address the power switch issue. As far as the last portion of your post, yes, you will get your origianl OEM supply back, but reworked with new electrolytic capasitors, modified power resistor (to remove heat from the grove of capasitors) and we also replace other components that we have deemed weak links. I also agree with the last part
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew138 View Post

I'd probabbyl just send the whole thing in as I don't want to be bothered with taking it apart.

due to that and if you don't send the whole unit, we can't address the mother board issues either (problems if you have them; but reliabilty modifications to the board at the very least) which is why we push the Turn-Key service.
Best regards, Matt
post #10 of 21 Old 04-25-2007, 09:03 AM

hot? should not be.

a properly working HD1000 only draws 0.18 amps. with a power factor of 0.5 the watt meter shows a net 11 watts of heat. thats nothing really.
the ones I have here run slightly above room temperature. thanks to your question I think I need to test the power of an almost dead unit. but I dont have any soon to die units. All the ones I have received, the customer has waited until death.

so, adding a power switch sounds like a patch on the actual problem of a barely working power supply. you are right about one thing. the power switch only turns off the video output with no measurable change in the (trivial) power consumption.

"an ounce of application
Heinlein
post #11 of 21 Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisautosound View Post

hot? should not be.

a properly working HD1000 only draws 0.18 amps. with a power factor of 0.5 the watt meter shows a net 11 watts of heat. thats nothing really.
the ones I have here run slightly above room temperature. thanks to your question I think I need to test the power of an almost dead unit. but I dont have any soon to die units. All the ones I have received, the customer has waited until death.

so, adding a power switch sounds like a patch on the actual problem of a barely working power supply. you are right about one thing. the power switch only turns off the video output with no measurable change in the (trivial) power consumption.

I bought the unit used from a guy that barely used it. He never even broke the seal on the artpacks. So I can't tell you what the temp of the unit was out of the box, but I can tell you that its been really hot since I've been using it; and others on the roku forums had indicated that it stays pretty hot so I don't think my unit is performing unusually. But it is hot; similar to my macbookpro hot.

Anyway, the unit is out of commission now as I am evolving my a/v components. But the Roku will be a part of the final solution. FYI, I do use the component pass through on the set.

Please PM me the all-in price or let me know if you need more information. Again this is really preventative and I would send in the whole unit; but I might just wait till it dies? Don't know.

Thanks

Drew
post #12 of 21 Old 04-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Liked: 12
I wanted to let the members of AVSForum know of the excellent service I received through Matt's new business he is offering.

I sent two dead Roku Photobridges (One original Rev. A the other a D.O.A. Rev. B I bought on Ebay, sold in working condition). Matt repaired them both over one weekend, keeping me updated and sending them back so they would be available to me the next weekend.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend his new service to others with dead Roku's - the service he provides is fast and efficient.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-12-2007, 09:04 PM

I'd like second what was said above. I sent my unit in for and it was fixed and it lives again.

Great to have it working again.

Tomorrow is another Day
post #14 of 21 Old 05-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghjaxman View Post

I'd like second what was said above. I sent my unit in for and it was fixed and it lives again.

Great to have it working again.

Thanks Gene.

Gene's HD1000 is the third unit I have seen with a dead motherboard that we were able to fix. So its runnning about 25% MB failures and the rest is the power supply.

talking about the power supply, Matt did a Morex conversion so we could compare it against the OEM. Whike it looks fantastic the results may come as a surprise to some. The Morex consumed 10 watts where the OEM uses 11. MAtt measured two identical units side by side, the Morex equiped unit was only 4 degrees cooler. I think those of you who say your HD1000 runs HOT, need to get the power supply repaired, not replaced. (and preventative work on the MB)

"an ounce of application
Heinlein
post #15 of 21 Old 05-19-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my Roku back from Pyramind. What a lifesaver. My wife and I had gotten so dependent upon the Roku for watching recorded HD programs. They provided fast turn around and a like new Photo Bridge. However, they did forget to send my remote back. It's on the way to me.

Is the Roku website dead?
post #16 of 21 Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

NOTE: When sending your HD1000/1500 in for repair, if you have opened your unit to tinker with it, please re-install all the hardware (i.e. All 7 case screws and remount power supply) if you can.

Thanks for all the great feedback and it's nice to see we are are able to help y'all enjoy your free time. I too, never knew how much we (my wife and I) used our Photobridge untill it broke last year. We were both like "man, I had no idea we used it that much". We use it almost every weekend to play SlimRoku.

Thanks again and best regards, Matt
post #17 of 21 Old 06-25-2007, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

After several phone calls (and those units then coming in for repair), we have discovered that we needed to add a third option.

This option is for people that have installed a Morex power supply (or something simular) and just need the Mother Board fixed. So here are the three options...

Basic (power supply) - $59
Turn-Key (complete repair/service) - $89
3rd Option (mother board) - $49

For a better discription of the first two options, see the third post in this thread. As for the 3rd option, we repair the mother board and add a heat sink to U12.

Once again , to line something up, either call Pyramid-Audio at (512) 458-8292 or use their on-line service form.

Regards, Matt
post #18 of 21 Old 04-04-2009, 09:29 AM

in the last 2 years we have resurected 263 Roku units with very few returns.

since 04/07 when we started supporting the Roku HD1000 we have expanded to repair the Roku M1000 series and the Roku R1000 too. Great product with minor issues quietly,quickly resolved in our shop.

Roku has great fan base, I'm glad to help.

"an ounce of application
Heinlein
post #19 of 21 Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to check in and touch base as well as an update.

Pyramid-Audio is still doing the PhotoBridge HD1000 repairs, and they have also branched out to both the SoundBridge and SoundBridge Radio (R1000). Much like the HD1000 they have received emails from people that were in a pickle with an out of warranty SoundBridge or SoundBridge Radio and wanted to know if there was such a service for these too.

The answer is yes and it even gets better. There is also a gentleman in the UK named Pete that I have become great friends over the past several years due to both of us having very similar interests and such. We have become a virtual team and trade notes, ideas and such back and forth.

So if you are in the UK or for that matter, anywhere on that side of the pond, you can send your PhotoBridge, SoundBridge or SoundBridge Radio to Pete for service and save on the overseas shipping to the US and back. Of course if your in the US you can still use Pyramid-Audio or myself.

So in closing, thanks very much to all that have sent units in and not only does Pyramid-Audio service both the PhotoBridge and SoundBridge line (Roku M1000 M500 M2000 and R1000) but Pete (in the UK) and myself (in the US) offer repair of the PhotoBridge and SoundBridge too.

Thanks again, Matt Burkhard

Link to Pyramid-Audio
You can email Pete at hillyp01-roku at yahoo.co.uk (please replace the "at" with a "@") it's left out to avoid spam)).
Or myself at burkhardi at hotmail.com

Kudos/Props:
Also just wanted to note that PhotoBridge and SoundBridge owners are very unique and special people and are a pleasure to work with. I assume this is due to them being a very early adopter of an upcoming technology (I know I was). If it were not for their appreciation and love of these devices, this service we provide would not be nearly as enjoyable as it is. Due to these items being on the verge of disposable electronics, we have to keep the repair cost down and if it were not for the interaction and satisfaction we get from the Roku owners from being able to resurrect one of their favorite toys/devices it would not be possible IMHO. That also goes for the kind people that move on and donate their device to us to be used for parts since some parts are becoming hard to come by.
Once again, thanks!
post #20 of 21 Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 AM

Thankyou Matt.

With that, let me introduce myself to the forum.
I am Pete, I also go under the same alias (g0pkh) in the Roku forums too. For those who are wondering it is actually my Ham Radio Callsign

Yes, As Matt said, I am able to offer a complete repair service to all Roku Sound, and Photobridge products to the UK and Europe too. We have been working together as a virtual team on the R1000 Radio now for nearly two years, between us we know all there is to know when it comes to repairs.

I am also pleased to be able to offer fully reconditioned Soundbridge Radios, as well as spares of non PSU related parts. So if you need the odd speaker unit, or subwoofer then we can both help, at very reasonable prices too.

Just contact us

Regards

Pete

For repairs to all Roku Soundbridge and Photobridge products.
Contact me via email at hillyp01-roku(at)yahoo.co.uk
Please replace the (at) with @
post #21 of 21 Old 04-09-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow! I was interested to see a post about the Photobridge appear at the top of the forum. It was WAY ahead of it's time and would have done better under different stewardship. I still have 2 working to this day, a REV A that has never been modified and a REV B that was repaired by Pyramid. I recently replaced both units with a Dune Prime 3 and a Dune Base 3, but it has taken all of this time to find a unit that would do as well. If anyone would like to purchase my 2 units, please PM me. Thanks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming