Is Popcorn Hour a Tvix Killer? - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 628 Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My dad has a TVIX, and when I put files on it I just plug usb to usb, easy but can be slow. But I don't understand how do you put files on the PH110?

Birgir "keyser"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 628 Old 12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

My dad has a TVIX, and when I put files on it I just plug usb to usb, easy but can be slow. But I don't understand how do you put files on the PH110?

You can play files without installing a hard drive into the popcorn hour via a USB key or other external harddrive, or over wired/wireless (with dongle) networked PC or NAS. If you would like to instal a hard drive in the popcorn hour and install files there, you can:

-FTP the files over a network
-Mount the PH as a networked drive and move using your OS file manager
-Move file from a connect USB device using a series of key presses
-Mount the Popcorn Hour to your PC as a USB hard drive (A-110 only)
-Download Via **********

Did I forget anything?

(apparently B I T T O R 3 n T is a dirty word, despite having many legal uses, but ass-hat and dick-bucket are not)

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #603 of 628 Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it , thanks

One other thing, you can´t sent out 576i/480i via HDMI can you? If I remember correctly HDMI doesn't support those interlaced resolutions, so you'd have to deinterlace(and use what I assume is crappy deinterlacing?) with the popcorn hour/tvix?

Birgir "keyser"
post #604 of 628 Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Got it , thanks

One other thing, you can´t sent out 576i/480i via HDMI can you? If I remember correctly HDMI doesn't support those interlaced resolutions, so you'd have to deinterlace(and use what I assume is crappy deinterlacing?) with the popcorn hour/tvix?

The PCH definitely does not currently support 480i via HDMI. When I tried to explain in the PCH forum why this would be a worthy addition, a forum moderator went to great lengths to "explain" to me why that isn't necessary since he claimed DVDs are all 480p, which of course is obviously WRONG. Given the level of misunderstanding/denial, it probably won't ever be added. I wonder if it is a hw constraint.
post #605 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

Given the level of misunderstanding/denial, it probably won't ever be added. I wonder if it is a hw constraint.

As far as I'm aware, this over-site has been present with every Sigma chip-set/HDMI combination.

Indeed in Feb 2005 a Sigma representative reported the following, with regard to their EM862x range: -
Quote:

The EM8620L chip-set cannot generate the proper output format/timing to support 480i or 576i over HDMI.
Maybe Zensonic can find a HDMI transmitter chip that will accept standard 480i/576i format/timing from the DVD decoder.

It would seem lessons were not learned......

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #606 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

It would seem lessons were not learned......

Ha... looks who is talking, "Mr Ziova Admin" , you were so important there protecting them and did they learned their lessen ? did you ?
post #607 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Some people love their conspiracies.....

To confirm. At no time was I ever a Zensonic/Ziova employee. And as such was not informed of any of their business decisions or company policy. In short, I was not instructed to "protect" anything.

I was first invited to test their products and then later to administer their forum. Both of which I enjoyed doing. And would happily to do again for any other A/V company.

The end.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #608 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What do we know about the next generation of Popcorn House units? I think the chip improves; some improvement to the SATA interface.

Any body know more (such as features, price, timing, advantages compared with current range)?
post #609 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I was first invited to test their products and then later to administer their forum. Both of which I enjoyed doing. And would happily to do again for any other A/V company.

No doubt you enjoed it but what I do doubt is that any other company will ask you to do the same , your forum "administration" is in 50% responsible for their poor reputation with customers and their problems.
post #610 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

What do we know about the next generation of Popcorn House units? I think the chip improves; some improvement to the SATA interface.

Any body know more (such as features, price, timing, advantages compared with current range)?

One thing for sure - it will not be new chip since Sigma is not ready yet.
post #611 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

50% eh? Surely not another one of your conspiracy theories!

On any forum there are forum members who prefer not to follow the forum rules. Most of whom apologise and move on.

Sadly however, there are the odd few who prefer instead to moan, whinge and whine about how they were "so hard done by" on other forums....

Hmm... I wonder which category you fell into!

post #612 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:

50% eh? Surely not another one of your conspiracy theories!

On any forum there are forum members who prefer not to follow the forum rules. Most of whom apologise and move on.

Sadly however, there are the odd few who prefer instead to moan, whinge and whine about how they were "so hard done by" on other forums....

Hmm... I wonder which category you fell into!

I've got a question: WTF are you guys talking about? Oh wait, I don't give a shite and neither does anyone else. Take it to PM, thanks so much.
post #613 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour View Post

I've got a question: WTF are you guys talking about? Oh wait, I don't give a shite and neither does anyone else. Take it to PM, thanks so much.

Indeed...

After providing some in-site to Gimps question. This is the kind of cr*p I have to put up with

Many congrats on the PCH range by-the-way....

post #614 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm guessing next for the PH is decoding lossless audio. Better be because the competition as coming out with it.

Gary J

post #615 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I'm guessing next for the PH is decoding lossless audio. Better be because the competition as coming out with it.

Which lossless audio formats would you like to see supported?

post #616 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Gary J

post #617 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

For downsampling to Vanilla DTS or Stereo? Or, do you want the PH to add 7.1 analog outs as well?

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at
, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel:
post #618 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which lossless audio formats would you like to see supported?

It supports 2 channel FLAC now. A bunch of us would like to see 5.1 multichannel FLAC added.

Music lovers would also like to see it get multichannel WMA lossless (MusicGiants) and even Apple lossless so it could play existing high quality purchased music downloads.

It does have HDMI for transport of multichannel audio as linear PCM.
post #619 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugovector View Post

For downsampling to Vanilla DTS or Stereo? Or, do you want the PH to add 7.1 analog outs as well?

I want it to decode up to 7.1 PCM over HDMI.

Gary J

post #620 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My current popcorn hour is hooked up to a HDMI receiver and a HDMI monitor on the basement system...so all is goodness.

Upstairs, the main floor receiver has HDMI, but the sony tube xbr monitor is component only.

If I fed a PCM audio signal over HDMI to the receiver; would it convert the video to component? The receiver is a Denon 3806, and has hdmi in but very little audio processing other than pcm on the hdmi.

If Popcorn Hour came up with something like that, and the Denon would support it, a new unit would be very interesting. Right now I have a Dvico 5000 with toslink spdif and component output hooked up to this particular system.
post #621 of 628 Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Indeed...

After providing some in-site to Gimps question.

Thank you for that. Didn't mean to make trouble. Who would we lobby for a "source direct" like capability in a 3rd gen PCH?
post #622 of 628 Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I successfully networked this to my new linux based server appliance. Its a D-Link DNS 321; it has 3 terabytes.

Anybody know how to tell it to keep playing all the wav files in a directory? It seems to play one song then stops.

Also, anybody know much about using the unit to play DTS Wav files? I ripped some of my DTS discs to the server; most result in diginoise.

I know on the PC I have to configure the AC3 software to pad the signal as 14 bit. Is there a way to do something similar on the popcorn hour (this is connected via HDMI, but one disc did play so I know it can be done).

The popcorn hour sees my orb connected TV tuner by the way...but so far I can't get it to properly connect (though it sees the channels). Anybody messed with Orb and the Popcorn hour?
post #623 of 628 Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I successfully networked this to my new linux based server appliance. Its a D-Link DNS 321; it has 3 terabytes.

Anybody know how to tell it to keep playing all the wav files in a directory? It seems to play one song then stops.

Navigate to the folder of interest and instead of "double clicking" the first wav file in the folder, highlight the first wav file and press "Play".

Quote:

Also, anybody know much about using the unit to play DTS Wav files? I ripped some of my DTS discs to the server; most result in diginoise.

I know on the PC I have to configure the AC3 software to pad the signal as 14 bit. Is there a way to do something similar on the popcorn hour (this is connected via HDMI, but one disc did play so I know it can be done).

My PCH is connected via HDMI to my Denon AVP-A1HDCI and I am able to play DTS .wav files ok.

From the wiki:

The files have to have *.wav (not *.dts) extension. Make sure your receiver can decode DTS audio, that PCH is connected to the receiver via a digital (coax or optical) cable, and that you set the PCH Audio Setup options the following way: "Surround=5.1", "DTS=RAW". If you still hear noise, then your PCH "digital volume" (set via the remote) is probably not at its default value - try changing it as the DTS file is playing; once you hit the default level, you should hear the music playing.
post #624 of 628 Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Gimp;

You rock. Many thanks.

Say...anybody know much about using powerline ethernet with hi def files? I finally got my powerline units to work...and they can stream regular video files...but not hi def and not regular dvd format files. Weird; I have some video captures that play ok across the network as the mpg; but won't play when they were converted to dvd format (vob and iso etc.).
post #625 of 628 Old 02-05-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gimp;

You rock. Many thanks.

Say...anybody know much about using powerline ethernet with hi def files? I finally got my powerline units to work...and they can stream regular video files...but not hi def and not regular dvd format files. Weird; I have some video captures that play ok across the network as the mpg; but won't play when they were converted to dvd format (vob and iso etc.).

I have no problem playing iso's. It's all about bandwidth and QoS (quality of service). Your best bet is wired gigabit with cat6. Second would be wireless-N 5GHz (not 2.4). I use Netgear wireless-N 5GHz products and can stream HD reliably.
post #626 of 628 Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Gimp;

You rock. Many thanks.

Powerline networking is very situational. Depending on how your house is wired, and what outlets you use you can get vastly different performance. There are also devices that seem to introduce noise that affect performance too. In the end it all depends on your house.
post #627 of 628 Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

First of all Gimp was right on for two counts. Changing volume from minus 2 to zero caused the DTS to work smoothly.

And using the play button rather than double clicking the title does cause a full playlight to run.

With regard to powerline, I now see that it is very situational. I put the server on the same switch as the popcorn hour, and hi def worked perfectly. With powerline....not so good.

I updated the firmware on my Linksys powerline network. Two of the three units updated just fine. The third bricked. It can't be fixed. And even though I used bonafide linksys software (nothing open sourced), because the unit is out of warranty Linksys said "sorry Charlie". Grumble grumble. Did buy a replacement unit off ebay; with any luck it'll be under warranty (seller said it was but hey we are talking about ebay here!).
post #628 of 628 Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

huh?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page