Tvix and Vista share - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
hyperasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3 Tvix boxes, a 4000 and two 4100's. How do I make so all 3 boxes can see a Vista share? If I use the tvix Netshare software and NFS will it allow more then one tvix box to connect to the share? Does anyone know how to make Samba work with vista? Amazes me how old windows XP works perfect but they've managed to complicate Vista too the point of not working.
hyperasus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
hyperasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just can't even believe this is happening. I can't get this worthless Tvix box to work with a Vista share even if I try using Netshare. It blows my mind that something that shouldn't even be an issue ends up taking up so much time trying to make it work. The Tvix website doesn't say not one thing about it in their Q&A. Google turned up nothing but a bunch of other people having the same problem with no solutions. Insanity
hyperasus is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
glesgaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperasus View Post

I just can't even believe this is happening. I can't get this worthless Tvix box to work with a Vista share even if I try using Netshare. It blows my mind that something that shouldn't even be an issue ends up taking up so much time trying to make it work. The Tvix website doesn't say not one thing about it in their Q&A. Google turned up nothing but a bunch of other people having the same problem with no solutions. Insanity

It's not the "worthless box" that's at fault it's the Worthless OP sytem called VISTA.
If you have to buy a new laptop/desktop (with Vista pre installed being the only option these days, thanks Microsoft) then try buying a piece of hardware or software for it, you have to search for anything that says "Vista Compatable" or take the risk that it won't work.
Consumers should be sueing Microsoft for suppling a OP system that not compatable with previous versions.
glesgaguy is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
Gronk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by glesgaguy View Post

It's not the "worthless box" that's at fault it's the Worthless OP sytem called VISTA.
If you have to buy a new laptop/desktop (with Vista pre installed being the only option these days, thanks Microsoft) then try buying a piece of hardware or software for it, you have to search for anything that says "Vista Compatable" or take the risk that it won't work.
Consumers should be sueing Microsoft for suppling a OP system that not compatable with previous versions.

Here's my experience with Vista Home Premium and TViX.

Using NetShare 1.08, things seem OK most of the time going to my TViX 4000 SATA unit (Firmware 2.2.0)

I'm streaming DVD .ISO's exclusively, with output set to 480p component.

I have a completely wired, Cat5e network. The path between the two is like this: TViX -> LinkSys switch -> WRT54G Router -> Linksys Switch (ezxs88w) -> Vista box. All IP addresses are static.

That being said, at least once per movie (and sometimes 2 or 3 times) the playback starts to stutter. Not sure if it's my Vista box or the TViX box or the network, but fixing it requires simply rewinding a little bit and resuming play. The wife hates this, and thinks it's the TViX box acting up because every now and then just playing something off the internal hard drive (500G WD SATA) causes some stuttering as well. One of these days I'll have some more time to narrow it down, but for now it's good enough.
Gronk is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
hyperasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Gronk,

Your problem is because you are trying to view ISO files. TViX claims ISO compatibility but after trying to go the DVD ISO route I soon discovered that viewing ISO files is a joke. Some ISO files will work with stutter, others wont work at all. Use winrar to convert those ISO's back to folders and your player wont have any trouble with them.

I have still yet to find a way to make this stuppid &$%*!@# tvix box access a vista share using SAMBA. I can get it to work using netshare 1.09 but its rare I can even make it threw a movie without netshare losing connection to the TViX box then having to reboot the Vista PC before I can gain access again.

glesgaguy...... although I think you are right, it really doesn't solve my problem. Going back to XP is not an option for me because my partition I am using to store all my media is larger then 2TB(XP can only have partitions 2TB or smaller). There has GOT to be a way to trick these dam boxes into accessing Vista using SAMBA. The NFS is a nice thought but still buggy as hell and not to mention Netshare only lets one TViX box at a time access(I have three).


Now. I think I will go find an old computer or some video equipment I'm not currently using that I can take outside and smash to pieces to release a little anger.
hyperasus is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
hyperasus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turns out that mvix will read Vista shares. Guess I will be selling off my Tvix boxes and then just buy some HD Mvix players. Shame because I like the Tvix interface better. OH well. Cant win them all.
hyperasus is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
Meenenator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 540
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperasus View Post

Gronk,

Your problem is because you are trying to view ISO files. TViX claims ISO compatibility but after trying to go the DVD ISO route I soon discovered that viewing ISO files is a joke. Some ISO files will work with stutter, others wont work at all. Use winrar to convert those ISO's back to folders and your player wont have any trouble with them.

I have still yet to find a way to make this stuppid &$%*!@# tvix box access a vista share using SAMBA. I can get it to work using netshare 1.09 but its rare I can even make it threw a movie without netshare losing connection to the TViX box then having to reboot the Vista PC before I can gain access again.

glesgaguy...... although I think you are right, it really doesn't solve my problem. Going back to XP is not an option for me because my partition I am using to store all my media is larger then 2TB(XP can only have partitions 2TB or smaller). There has GOT to be a way to trick these dam boxes into accessing Vista using SAMBA. The NFS is a nice thought but still buggy as hell and not to mention Netshare only lets one TViX box at a time access(I have three).


Now. I think I will go find an old computer or some video equipment I'm not currently using that I can take outside and smash to pieces to release a little anger.

Have you tried other NFS programs?
I'm running Allegro these days. Wonderful little program. You can try out a demo before you buy on most of these (allegro, axeNFS etc)
I'm on XP though ,and will not upgrade until most of the issues (not Tvix related have been fixed).

I have never had any ISO problems either (both with my 5000 nor with my 5100). Running a Gb network, DHCP from router thru a Netgear Gb switch.
Meenenator is offline  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off