A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1051 Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guy
Don't know if this is just me or an issue.
I have just updated to 1.10b and i have noiced that if the wallpaper is set to 1280x720 for my 6500 the cover art is missing from the synopsis wallpaper.
If i set it to 720x480 it re appears. If i downgrage back to previous version and reset clock to allow it to work the problem does not happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1051 Old 05-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Hi Guy,

Thanks for this great program, do you think its possible to add moviemeter.nl for Dutch language support.

Thanks,
Bauke
post #453 of 1051 Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Hi Guy,Is there going to be an extention for the expiry date to the current version
post #454 of 1051 Old 05-27-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann41 View Post

Hi Guy,Is there going to be an extention for the expiry date to the current version

Oh, just downloaded it today but could not run it due to beta expiry...
Is there any way to extend it?
post #455 of 1051 Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpub View Post

Oh, just downloaded it today but could not run it due to beta expiry...

just change the pc date to before 27 May
post #456 of 1051 Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Has anyone tried to use Amazon S3 Services to network and stream content? If this has been discussed, feel free to page slap me!
post #457 of 1051 Old 05-28-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhardware View Post

Hi Guy
Don't know if this is just me or an issue.
I have just updated to 1.10b and i have noiced that if the wallpaper is set to 1280x720 for my 6500 the cover art is missing from the synopsis wallpaper.
If i set it to 720x480 it re appears. If i downgrage back to previous version and reset clock to allow it to work the problem does not happen.

I have a similar problem with 1.10b. The cover art is rendered "to low" so I see the top of the projektor screen, but no leather chairs. Furthermore, copy/pasting albumcovers does not work or are they located "below" the screen. But right now it´s not a big problem as the date expired for the beta...
Thank you Mr Kuo for a wonderful program, hope to hear from you soon to buy it!!
post #458 of 1051 Old 05-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann41 View Post

just change the pc date to before 27 May

Thanks!! Figured that out myself too... quite inconvenient but gets the job done ...

Played with it last night and it's amazing!! The effect is awesome!!

So when will there be an official release?
post #459 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One question for users....

I have reached a point in the program rewrite which requires a decision to be made.

A. Keep the current, two text field system for text (Title and Synopsis) This choice lets us keep compatibility with text which was previously obtained and edited. However, you won't be able to set up your own ordering and spacing for things like actors, genre, rating. Just like the old version, those items are folded into the single synopsis field.

B. Break out the various text bits and let users place each of them where they want on the rendering window. This option will completely break all prior text which you have obtained or written. In other words, a lot more flexibility in the final output can be gained, but you'd basically have to start all over again.

Which choice would you prefer?

A. Doesn't break previous TVIX GUI generator work

B. More flexibility, but breaks all prior work

BTW, the new renderer which is not OpenGL dependent is already working on the Mac side. It still needs some work on the Windows side, but should get rid of the window clipping and weird, wrong size layouts issues of the OpenGL based renderer. Output text is now much sharper.

Guy Kuo
post #460 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Guy
My gut feeling would go for more flexibility (B) even if it is much work to do.
It will be more customizable this way.
Lets hear what others have to say
post #461 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 03:29 AM

Guy,

Why force a choice? Surely you can move forward, offering layout flexibility but without necessarily breaking existing text?

It would mean some (small amount of?) extra work on your part, no doubt, but not breaking the golden rule of backwards compatibility would surely be worth it. Declaring my own vested interest: I re-write some of the synopsis text gathered by your program, or I write my own, so I would prefer not to have that input trashed, at least in the short term. But I would also like greater layout flexibility. Difficult choice, so don't force the issue.

1. Provide a non-expiring copy of the existing code, for historical stability. Call it something else if needs be. Move on.

2. Offer the user a settings tick box "Use flexible layout". You would need to maintain two layout engines, but the current one already exists.

3. Keep the existing "synopsis.guikuo" file name for historical layout, use a different file name for flexible layout. Maybe in conjunction with point 2, if synopsis.guikuo exists, render historically, otherwise use flexible layout.

4. Provide a default flexible layout template that matches the current historical layout. Provide also a GUI Builder utility to search folders and parse synopsis.guikuo, if it exists, reformatting the text in it to the default layout template. In other words, auto convert existing historical synopsis text to a new flexible layout.

Finally, thank you Guy for all the effort you have put in and the ongoing contribution you continue make. Your work is greatly appreciated. Something worth noting, you could always call on the community to help, if help is needed. For instance, providing a stand alone conversion tool to reformat historical synopsis.guikuo content to a newer layout.
post #462 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 AM

Guy,

I vote fore option B, more flexibility.

Bauke
post #463 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 AM

I would also vote for more flexibility. I have different layouts for movies/tv shows. It would be nice to be able to control the output a little more.
post #464 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frason View Post

Has anyone tried to use Amazon S3 Services to network and stream content? If this has been discussed, feel free to page slap me!

Putting aside any network performance issues you may run into for the moment :-) ...

There are some Linux projects out there which add a driver for S3 to Linux. The most interesting one (also expensive) is ElasticDrive (http://www.elasticdrive.com/). This adds a new block level device to Linux which lets you essentially treat S3 as a 'hard disk.' You then expose this volume via NFS and actually do storage on S3. Still needs a Linux server.

I don't know of any way to 'point' the TViX to S3 unless someone has written an SMB/NFS to S3 bridge.
post #465 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 09:39 AM

I vote for more flexibility as well. Although I like what it does by default, it would be great to be able to position each piece of information (and perhaps with different fomatting).

If you don't want to maintain backward compatibility in the new version, I agree with the idea of providing a non-expiring version of the old program to provide backward compatibility.

And a little off topic, I just started using this program about 2 weeks agao and it FANTASTIC. Nice work!
post #466 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Flexibility for me as well. But it would be very nice if the configuration could be stored in something like an .ini file or similar, so it is easily exported/use between different computers. I have already done the setup at least 10 times manually, with more configuration this would be worse and harder to remember.
post #467 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscoles View Post

I would also vote for more flexibility. I have different layouts for movies/tv shows. It would be nice to be able to control the output a little more.

I was thinking about posting the same request, even before Guy asked his question. For example for Movies having the box art on the left and synopsis on the right is great, but for TV shows where there are 20+ episodes a synopsis is maybe not needed and having the box art on the right side instead is preferred (so that the files listing doesn't overlay the art and make it harder to read).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneubert View Post

I vote for more flexibility as well. Although I like what it does by default, it would be great to be able to position each piece of information (and perhaps with different fomatting).

If you don't want to maintain backward compatibility in the new version, I agree with the idea of providing a non-expiring version of the old program to provide backward compatibility.

And a little off topic, I just started using this program about 2 weeks agao and it FANTASTIC. Nice work!

I agree that what it does by default is pretty great in it's own right. Aside from possibly having multiple configuration options (IE: TV show settings, Movies settings.. or templates, environments, etc, anything to be able to predefine and select more than 1 set of settings for use).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaMan View Post

Flexibility for me as well. But it would be very nice if the configuration could be stored in something like an .ini file or similar, so it is easily exported/use between different computers. I have already done the setup at least 10 times manually, with more configuration this would be worse and harder to remember.

I was also thinking about this. It would dovetail into my above statements that I could set up multiple configuration/ini files for each of our "templates" so taht I just swap out config files and restart the applicaiton to work on a different set of files (IE: TV vs Movies vs Music)

Either way it is a great application. Many thanks for all of your hard work Guy
post #468 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi Guy, just to add to input from others. This is a great program and I have enjoyed using it. As for me, option B seems to be a good direction to go in, but I am content with option A as well.

Thanks for all your work and innovation.
post #469 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll push forward with the more flexible layout branch of the design, then.

Guy Kuo
post #470 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 01:50 PM

c'mon Guy.... chop, chop, chop... where's the new version?... what?, not ready yet?... (just jocking of course!)

Hey, your work is great... keep it up!.

I have had (yes 'had' before my hd crashed and I discovered in horror that the backup of your program was corrupted!) the software for some time in my old Tvix 5000 and albeit I can understand the work needed to 're-build' my daabase if you finally decide to change format for the new version, I strongly support option B. I think it's worth!.

Anyhow, let me be a bit selfish now: when do you expect we can have the new version of the software?. Now I'm stuck with no version at all and nowadays I can't possibly turn back to the old folder-tree navigation... no man, no way!.

Thanks!
post #471 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think by this Sunday night, I'll have something usable again. Mac version was easy, but the renders aren't as clean looking under Windows without incurring a significantly increased rendering time. Some code optimization to be done.....

Guy Kuo
post #472 of 1051 Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I was wondering where I can download the program thanks for the help!
post #473 of 1051 Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyd19 View Post

I was wondering where I can download the program thanks for the help!

Its normally on page 1 - have a look at Guy's first post...

It has been removed for a short while until Guy posts the new version.
post #474 of 1051 Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Hi Guy,

In response to your poll for greater layout flexibility or not, several people also mentioned greater flexibility with the configuration file as well. I was about to make a post along similar lines myself, so here goes.

It would seem that many users of the GUI Builder use multiple configurations to achieve multiple templates to control the wallpaper rendering. I currently use two configurations, one for movies and a second for music albums. For movies I use a "standard" layout, with cover art on the left and synopsis text on the right. For music albums I place the cover art on the right and use an empty synopsis.guikuo file to prevent text being rendered - hence song titles are not overlaid and obscured by text or cover art.

To achieve the different rendering layouts I use "tvix_gui_builder_film.pref" and "tvix_gui_builder_music.pref" configuration files, which are copied over the standard tvix_gui_builder.pref file prior to program start up.

Is it possible that you could support multiple configuration files? Just a simple command line option to override the standard configuration file name would suffice, such as -config filename.

And a question. Have you ever considered extending the GUI Builder to support music, as in music albums?
post #475 of 1051 Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM

Wohh!

Thats sound really cool!
Could you put a screenshot of a music album render?

I'd like to try it with my own collection...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurningFrench View Post

It would seem that many users of the GUI Builder use multiple configurations to achieve multiple templates to control the wallpaper rendering. I currently use two configurations, one for movies and a second for music albums. For movies I use a "standard" layout, with cover art on the left and synopsis text on the right. For music albums I place the cover art on the right and use an empty synopsis.guikuo file to prevent text being rendered - hence song titles are not overlaid and obscured by text or cover art.

To achieve the different rendering layouts I use "tvix_gui_builder_film.pref" and "tvix_gui_builder_music.pref" configuration files, which are copied over the standard tvix_gui_builder.pref file prior to program start up.

Is it possible that you could support multiple configuration files? Just a simple command line option to override the standard configuration file name would suffice, such as -config filename.

And a question. Have you ever considered extending the GUI Builder to support music, as in music albums?

post #476 of 1051 Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Thank you Guy for your great work!! I would definitely welcome more flexibility and would be great if it supports multiple profiles.
(Just started to use this awesome program so not much burden trashing the existing ones that I've done!!)
Waiting for your next release...
post #477 of 1051 Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Multiple layout profiles are already planned. The biggest hurdle right now is getting rendering on the Windows side to run fast enough without hardware acceleration.

Guy Kuo
post #478 of 1051 Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrS4T4n View Post

Could you put a screenshot of a music album render?

I'd like to try it with my own collection...

I'll give it a go. It may take a little while though, as I have my TViX with me but not a 16:9 TV - I'm away from home staying with my brother-in-law who has not yet joined the modern world.

Does anybody know if there is there some way of pulling the 16:9 on-screen display directly from a TViX on to a PC? In other words, is it possible to avoid having to take a photo of the TV screen to show the layout produced by the TViX (which, for a good shot, I know is more difficult than it first appears)?
post #479 of 1051 Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 AM

Hi,

Does one still need file icon.tvix in each folder to use the icon browsing mode with the HD M-6500A ?

Regards
yankeefy
post #480 of 1051 Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurningFrench View Post

Does anybody know if there is there some way of pulling the 16:9 on-screen display directly from a TViX on to a PC?

The simplest way that I know of is to connect the TViX S-video output to a PC video capture/tuner card and take a frame capture from it. This won't capture hi-res details, but if the idea is to convey screen layouts it serves well.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page