A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1051 Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
use local art and text will use art found in a file called coverart.guikuo in each of the movie folders being processed and text from a file called movieInfo.xml (used to be from synopsis.guikuo in the previous versions of this program). Those files are created by the program when it runs, setting it to use local art/text just tells it not to go out and try to find it all new again for each folder if you are running through them again (like if you changed the layout and wanted to re-process all of the movie folders to re-render the movie backgrounds using the new layout, using local art and text makes it fly through them).

Guy, thanks for the change. I will be testing it today on the next set of movie folders that need processing !!! Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1051 Old 06-21-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi Guy

Any chance of a music version with the album cover and details? New movie one is looking fantastic
post #633 of 1051 Old 06-22-2008, 03:33 AM

Hello

I am using your program and I think is just great. I would like to make a sugestion: could you add a little check box to allow checking the movie folder for a .nfo file which can be parsed for a link to the movie directly on the search engines? All the torrents on the net have such a file with links to IMDB and is especially useful as the automatic feature doesn't work really well, as the searching engines aren't working that good. But as the link to the movie is already there, in this file, why not use it? The program will go directly to the movie link, not trying to guess which movie link is the right one..

As a lot of the movies I have aren't properly found on these search engines, I have to do it manually, with a browser, and that keeps giving me errors, the add url button doesn't work, etc. Although I think the abbility to paste url's from the browser is great, it doesn't always work right. For example I always have to refresh the screen to see if the new pasting is there.

I hope my message makes a little sense and maybe you could take it into considerations...

Thank you..
post #634 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM

HELP... don't know what am I doing wrong!... got M6500 firmw 1.2.52 and TGB v1.32. I've got my movies placed in the recommended tree structure (x:\\movies\\comedy\ itle1)... two quick questions:

1.) I've processed one movie with TGB and the files (tvix.jpg, etc.) created by TGB appear to be in the right folder, etc. Nevertheless, when I navigate via the M6500 menu to the movie folder I can't see any background (tvix.jpg) nor can I see (listed) the file itself. However I can indeed see another jpg (art cover). Nevertheless, when exploring that folder with my PC the file IS there... I've tried it in two TVs, an old 4:3 set and a new TFT 16:9 screen and in both cases I can't see any background. What's happening?, what am I doing wrong?, do I need to "activate" something to tell M6500 to read the background file hosted in that folder when I enter it?

2.) TGB seems a superb app... but for now, I want to do something very (very simple!): I have many films in my collection. Each movie folder contains two files: an AVI or MPG file and a JPG or GIF file (art cover). Obviously, both file names are exactly the same. I would love to have TGB automatically 'scanning' all the folders and create a rendered background file for each one containing the title and the art cover (no descr, nor other info: no problem!). So far, I have not achieved that. Is it possible to do that?. Can anyone guide me in a kind of "step-by-step" mode?...

Thanks a lot for your assistance
post #635 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most likely you rendered at the wrong resolution if the TViX isn't recognizing and showing the new background. For the M6500, you must produce 1280 x 720 files.

As for importing jpg and gif files with a different name in each folder, the program will not (currently) do that. It expects a constant name for the local artwork (either guikuo.jpg or folder.wig). However, that may be doable. I'll have to check that there are not side effects of adding that capability.

Guy Kuo
post #636 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi Guy, thanks for the quick reply (as always!).

1.) Solved... I produced a 1280x720 and it worked just fine... although for 4:3 TV sets the TGB layout has to be changed a bit to fit all the picture in the TV screen. It seems to 'cut' a few centimeters from both the left and right side of the tvix.jpg.

2.) If you could do that you'd certainly make my day buddy!. That'd be superb. That capability would certainly help to all of us who had not been using TGB yet and that have several HDDs holding hundreds of movies. At the very least, we could easily and quickly create the tvix.jpg for each 'movie folder' and then, later on, we can spend the time to fill the synopsis and other data fields... but, as I said, we could start enjoying the 'background feature' right away!.

By the way, just for info: the FilmAffinity db (for Spanish users that is) does not seem to work too well just yet with TGB... in 'discovery mode' it doesn't seem to find many movies... which one can find if manually searching FilmAffinity. Have no idea why this is... suggestions?. Anything I can do to help to fine tune this?
post #637 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2.) If you could do that you'd certainly make my day buddy!. That'd be superb. That capability would certainly help to all of us who had not been using TGB yet and that have several HDDs holding hundreds of movies. At the very least, we could easily and quickly create the tvix.jpg for each 'movie folder' and then, later on, we can spend the time to fill the synopsis and other data fields...

I have successfully changed the program to grab a moviename.jpg or moviename.gif as local art, but allowing all the text fields to remain empty during a rendering run creates a variety of other problems in more common circumstances.

So, yes, you will be able to use your existing gif/jpg art, but rendering without any data lookup is not going to work. The program expects to find text data and and it would require too many internal changes to make that an allowed option without breaking other functionality.

With batch operations, it's really not onerous to process hundreds of movies. I let batch operations do the majority of the work and redid my entire collection of media (6 terabytes) in one night.

Then I turn on local art and local text to let me browse through the collections. Any that were incorrect, I fixed by dragging the movie URL into the program.

In two easy evenings one can easily have a very large movie collection fully wallpappered. It's not immediate gratification, but not that long a process either.

(Hint: holding down the option key (that's alt key on windows) while starting a batch lets you go beyond the usual 30 movie at a time limit)

I'll have the updated program uploaded later today.

Fixing some IMDB search issues first.

Guy Kuo
post #638 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1.33 b001
(note user preferences will be reset upon first launch of this version)

Modified IMDB parser for higher success rate. IMDB now also parses cast.

Improved search keyword generation system to reduce incidence of extraneous terms. Also changed to ignore everything in movie names after ( or - characters.

Local art will now also import gif or jpg files which are named the EXACTLY same as the movie folder + the .jpg or .gif extension

Guy Kuo
post #639 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've noted that several have fixated on the use of "+" symbols in the search keyword specifier and believe that is reason for some search problems. Do a manual search at any of those websites and note the keyword string which appears in the website generated URL. You will note that a + separates each keyword. The + symbols are between the keywords because the search engines expect a + between the keywords. I'm simply supplying what is expected by the websites.

However, there were some problems with which keywords are generated out of the movie folder names. Some users also have extra data other than just the movie name as their the movie folder name.

"My Movie name (2009) My favorite movie"
"My Movie - 2008"

Ideally, your movie folder is named as ONLY the movie name. However, I realize some users will never do so and some allowance for that extraneous data has been added. The program formerly picked up those extra words and characters as part of the movie name and naturally, the search results were not useful.

The search key generation process has been improved in version 1.33 b001 to reduce the incidence of extraneous characters and keywords. Also, everything after a - or ( is ignored.

Guy Kuo
post #640 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo View Post

Done. Just be sure to turn on "Lock Position" to enable this behavior. Had to have that restriction otherwise, one could not use the keyboard to nudge the text regions. Once you lock text positions, clicking on a text region will set focus as you requested.

I love this feature, but it seems to have busted the nudge feature. Even when unlocked it is setting the focus to the editing box, preventing the nudge.

Oh... also if scale preview is turned off & then you modify the window size the preview goes back to scaled again. You then have to click scale back on then off again to get the unscaled preview.
post #641 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM

Mmm, some additional requests if you see fit.

Add the Scale Preview as a saved user setting.. I think I would be prefer it to just be off & it would be nice to just save that setting since I have plenty of screen real estate.

Could the "Also Browse" function be enabled even when in assisted mode. It could be based on what is selected in manual mode or possibly on the top pick of one of the assisted boxes? Automatically disabled in Batch mode.. of course.

Thanks for the program, it has been soo incredibly useful!
post #642 of 1051 Old 06-23-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Grrrrrr. Bugs that I fixed only to reappear when I backtracked some other changes.

1.33 b005 adds the features you requested and fixes those bugs.

Remembers preview scaling setting.

Can also open web browser in assisted mode. To use this feature, a website must have been previously touched as the websource during the current program run session. Once a website has been "touched" (ie previously set as the web source) as the manual selection it will be remembered. That website will also be opened during assisted mode if "also browse" is active. (to turn off either deactivate "also browse" or touch "none")

Fixed problem with text area locking and nudging vs edit field focus
Fixed problem with resizing windows causing scaling despite turning scaling off
Fixed issues in FilmAffinity parser

Guy Kuo
post #643 of 1051 Old 06-24-2008, 03:32 AM

Hi i have begun creating wallpapers and synopsis of some of my DVD films on the HDD (TVIX6500A). I have switched on icon browsing and the folder is displayed as the cover art of the film. When i select the folder the synopsis screen appears for all of 1 second and then the movie begins playing. I cannot seem to get the synopsis screen to stay on. What am i doing wrong? I appear to have followed the steps about folder setup etc, but cannot figure this one out.

Can anyone assist me?

Thanks
Jason
post #644 of 1051 Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonshirt View Post

Hi i have begun creating wallpapers and synopsis of some of my DVD films on the HDD (TVIX6500A). I have switched on icon browsing and the folder is displayed as the cover art of the film. When i select the folder the synopsis screen appears for all of 1 second and then the movie begins playing. I cannot seem to get the synopsis screen to stay on. What am i doing wrong? I appear to have followed the steps about folder setup etc, but cannot figure this one out.

Can anyone assist me?

Thanks
Jason

You're run into a new feature in the M6500 firmware -- smart navigation. Go into the TViX setup and turn smart navigation off. (That's setup in the TViX, not my program)

Guy Kuo
post #645 of 1051 Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Partially updated instructions in about.pdf to match current version.

Additional changes 1.33 b006

Fixes in Rotten Tomatoes parser

Improved display of "Also Browse" target

BTW, Don't fret too much about the upcoming change to a donation system. If you've been on this site for a few years, you'd know I'm fairly generous to the forum members. It is interesting that nearly all the users of this program have been forum newbies and I do encourage you to stay around and participate in the discussions here.

The most likely scenario is something between the lines of an honor system like how Carbon Copy Cloner does it (everything works once you click a button attesting that you have donated) and how SuperDuper does it (everything works except a really nice feature - URL drag/drop & paste) It's not going to be a lock down to practically useless situation. I'm certain that some will take advantage of a relatively easy to defeat system, but the degree of positive feedback makes palatable the continued fixes and improvements needed down the line.

Guy Kuo
post #646 of 1051 Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Improved display of "Also Browse" target

I appreciate you adding all the "features" & suggestions that everyone is requesting. I get the impression that your normal job must include listening to customer request. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the only other time I've ever seen someone as responsive, was when I was working with an engineer who programmed Integrated controllers and other PIC like devices. We would make a request and his first reply was usually 'hmmm' and then 20 to 30 minutes later he would have a new chip for us to try.

I was hoping that the "also Browse"... now "also Browse IMDB" would always open the related search when the Movie is being worked on. IMDB is fine as the default, for me anyway. Current operation has it only opening the browser if it needs to, ie- empty text, art or check boxes cleared for those items.

Thanks,
Brent
post #647 of 1051 Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM

One thing I miss from the last versions is having the some of the text fields labeled in the output. For example, It used to output "Director: XXXXX" Now it only outputs the Directors name. I know what each of the the text fields represent, but my guests may not. It's be cool if the Actor field would start out w/ "Cast:" also. Same for the MPAA field..."Rating". Maybe you can make this something you can enable/disable?

Thanks for your hard work on this
post #648 of 1051 Old 06-25-2008, 10:37 PM

In v1.33 b006 assisted mode it does not appear to be pulling any info from IMDB. In Manual mode it does bring up the proper search & if I drag & drop the information is parsed and rendered correctly.
post #649 of 1051 Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Brent, I think I've taken care of the IMDB search issues (as well as some other similar ones induced in b006) and also made the "Also Browse" work as you requested. BTW that button links to whatever website you last selected as the manual website. If you select IMDB, then select assisted mode, then the button becomes "Also Browse IMDB" The linkage remains in effect until you quit the program.

I have to think a bit about how best to implement turning on and off labeling for the text fields. Previously, the program ALWAYS added the labeling during web search. Turning it on and off later would be simple if I only supported English, but multilingual support is needed. Remember TGB is used with sites in several languages in addition to being cross-platform.

It's very easy to add correct language labels during parsing because each parser knows which language its site uses. However, that locks in the choice during web fetch. Allowing the choice to turn on/off later opens up a series of multilingual support issues.

One work around, for now, would be to build your wallpaper backgrounds with the requisite labeling.

Guy Kuo
post #650 of 1051 Old 06-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:

BTW that button links to whatever website you last selected as the manual website. If you select IMDB, then select assisted mode, then the button becomes "Also Browse IMDB" The linkage remains in effect until you quit the program.

Thanks, I caught that after I played with it a bit. Just jumped the gun a little!
post #651 of 1051 Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM

Hello Guy,
Posting from France to thank you for this amazing free-ware. This adds value to my tvix experience so much. Beautiful !
post #652 of 1051 Old 06-27-2008, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I've noted that several have fixated on the use of "+" symbols in the search keyword specifier and believe that is reason for some search problems. Do a manual search at any of those websites and note the keyword string which appears in the website generated URL. You will note that a + separates each keyword. The + symbols are between the keywords because the search engines expect a + between the keywords. I'm simply supplying what is expected by the websites.

Hi Guy
here is what i get with your program

http://us.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Star...2BSith&x=0&y=0

and after i remove the +'s from the search.

http://us.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Star...f+Sith&x=0&y=0

i don't know why this has been unnoticeable for some. Could it be a foreign language settings?
hope this helps
post #653 of 1051 Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 AM

Hi guy,

When you rendered folder.jpg file, can you add a border line ?
The color of this border line will be selected in the color pallet.
May be we can also specified the thickness !

Best regards
yankeefy
post #654 of 1051 Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raurau View Post

Hi Guy
here is what i get with your program

http://us.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Star...2BSith&x=0&y=0

and after i remove the +'s from the search.

http://us.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Star...f+Sith&x=0&y=0

i don't know why this has been unnoticeable for some. Could it be a foreign language settings?
hope this helps

Yes, that is helpful. It looks like an anomaly in how the imdb site is intepreting URL components. %2B is supposed to be the web safe method of encoding a + symbol

Star%2BWars%2BEpisode%2B3%2BRevenge%2Bof%2BSith
and
Star+Wars+Episode+3+Revenge+of+Sith

Should be interpreted as exactly the same, but clearly the encoded representation of + is not being decoded. I followed URL encoding strictly and encode all the URL search requests. If I don't quite follow the rules for a URL and leave the actual + character, the website behaves as expected.

This also explains why substituting spaces instead of the expected + between the keywords works. It wasn't a problem with using +'s. It was a problem of the encoded representation of + not getting decoded by the IMDB site.

Good piece of feedback. I'll remove the URL encoding of the search URL's. Skipping the encoding does indeed make IMDB behave better. Formally, it should be the other way around, but we go with what works.

Version 1.33 b008 is up and has this fix.

Guy Kuo
post #655 of 1051 Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 AM

Found a weird bugginess

When trying to process the movie back to the future 2, with various combinations, ie:
back to the future 2
back to the future two
back the future 2
back the future two etc.. etc

everytime i try it, the builder crashes out and i get a windows error.
however if i name the folder the same as imdb has it
back to the future part II - it works fine

just thought it was really strange
i have also tried it on 2 other computers with the same result, all xp sp3
post #656 of 1051 Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonnemisis View Post

Found a weird bugginess

When trying to process the movie back to the future 2, with various combinations, ie:
back to the future 2
back to the future two
back the future 2
back the future two etc.. etc

everytime i try it, the builder crashes out and i get a windows error.
however if i name the folder the same as imdb has it
back to the future part II - it works fine

just thought it was really strange
i have also tried it on 2 other computers with the same result, all xp sp3

Isolated this one. It happens in Windows when Amazon returns a "no image available" picture.

After tracing the code execution, the cause was found. Really hate this type of bug. The code is correct, but either a compiler bug or windows memory protection problem triggers a crash during my program's analysis of the image pixels to perform automated cropping. It doesn't happen in OSX using the exact same source code.

I've done a work-around which should sidestep this problem in 1.33 b009.

Guy Kuo
post #657 of 1051 Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 AM

Hi Guy !

on v1.33 this cover didn't render correctly

too much white ?
post #658 of 1051 Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Too much white at top and bottom so it never finds the artwork boundaries.

Guy Kuo
post #659 of 1051 Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1.33 b010 changes automated art cropping to accept images with larger areas of whitespace. Can now crop picts like the above Reservoir Dogs images

Guy Kuo
post #660 of 1051 Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Liked: 13
Having a background "auto magically" created/saved by the program based on image width can give unexpected/undesired results.

If you drag a graphic that is unknowingly wider than 700 pixels into the render window (to become cover art) it becomes the new background for the program. Seems the only way to undo this mistake is to exit the program, delete the background.jpg in the program's directory, and restart.

Suggestion: Could designating a new global background image be an option located under the "Settings" tab? The reasoning is that setting a new background image for each movie is currently a bit tedious and is more likely to be a one time global operation performed for all movies. If not, perhaps prompt the user to see if they really want the image to be rendered as background instead of as cover art. OR, maybe add a "reset" background image to default button.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page