AVS Forum banner

A Mac and Windows Movie Wallpaper GUI Generator for Media Players

391K views 1K replies 233 participants last post by  prebber 
#1 ·
Cross Platform, Movie GUI Builder (Formerly for TViX only)

for Windows PC and Mac OSX (Tiger & Leopard)

Guy Kuo

************************************ Recent Changes ************************************

1.407 (Nov 2011)

Temp fix to allow manual function through 2012.

Pasting synopsis and image manually works.

************************************************************ ***************************

This program is a simple to use, Mac OSX or Windows PC platform, movie wallpaper generator. It simplifies creation of wallpaper and icon files for media players which can display custom graphics such as the TViX players. Mediagate players are supported using a special "Flat Media File" mode, and experimental HTM file generation allows use with Popcorn Hour (NMT) players.

The work of obtaining, cropping artwork, rendering a wallpaper, creating an icon, and keeping track of which movies need to be processed is done by this program. The program can automatically download cover art, synopsis and other information from the web. You can also manually edit movie movie information.

In manual mode, you follow the four, numbered steps. It starts the web search for you and automatically accepts text and pictures from the clipboard when the program is brought to the front. You can also drag and drop text and images from your browser into the program.

The program can speed processing for each film to under 30 seconds including obtaining cover art and descriptive text from the web. A large library can easily given a wallpaper GUI even if you have a Mac. For Windows PC users, this program delivers an alternative to WIB-T.

Several utilties are built into the program. For instance, you can also use this program to add an icon.tivx file to activate icon view for a folder on TViX players.

You can substitute your own background graphic instead of the default one. Your background can be assigned to the current movie, the current collection, or to be the default background. To add a background, drag a graphic which is wider than 700 pixels (or wider in aspect ratio than 4:3) into the Render window. The graphic will be accepted as a new background and remembered for later use. Your graphic should be 720 x 480 or 1280 x 720. If the graphic is a near fit, it will be reshaped to fit. Otherwise, it will be positioned without rescaling.

Sample output wallpaper (original rendered at 1280 x 720)

************************************************************ ******************************

EMPTY YOUR BROWSER CACHE PRIOR TO DOWNLOADING TO ENSURE YOU GET A NEW FILE FROM THE SERVER

************************************************************ ******************************

Mac OSX Universal binary (Tiger or Leopard) can be downloaded from

Movie GUI Builder for Mac OSX

Windows PC version can be downloaded from

Movie GUI Builder for Windows PC

(Note: PC users, you can delete included files whose names start with a period. These extra .files are sometimes in the zip archive but not needed on your PC)

(Note: This message is updated when the program changes. The discussion which immediately follows this post is regarding a much earlier version of the program. Posts near the end of this thread are much more current.)

See less See more
#52 ·
Are you sure the image is in the clipboard? It should detect it if its an image (don't copy a location of an image, but get the actual image in the clipboard)

Manually paste by using the step #4 button? If that doesn't work, then somehow the program isn't seeing an image in your clipboard.

#55 ·
Hello again .

Its working now , i found out that i cant leave the text selected when trying to copy the pic .

Now another thing , i have nice covers stored on my server , can i use them also ?

And how , couse i tryed it with copy the pic and then wait for the prog to paste auto .

Doing manually , i tryed but i can never select button 4 when i turn of the auto copy and paste .

Otherwise very very nice work .

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsberg112 /forum/post/12738860

Hello again .

....i have nice covers stored on my server , can i use them also ? .

Try version 0.42 (now up on server).

You can now drag and drop an image file into the rendering window. The dropped file will be read and used as cover art for the wallpaper.

Drag and drop of text (NOT a text file) also now works for putting text into the synopsis edit field of the main window.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badeip /forum/post/12739026

really nice program, just wish it would remember my movies folder.

-p.

This I don't quite understand. Do you mean remember across separate LAUNCHES of the program?

It does remember the enclosing folder until you specify another folder or quit the program.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo /forum/post/12739622

Try version 0.42 (now up on server).

You can now drag and drop an image file into the rendering window. The dropped file will be read and used as cover art for the wallpaper.

Drag and drop of text (NOT a text file) also now works for putting text into the synopsis edit field of the main window.

Nice Nice very Nice , now i can use my own HQ covers

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo /forum/post/12739663

This I don't quite understand. Do you mean remember across separate LAUNCHES of the program?

It does remember the enclosing folder until you specify another folder or quit the program.

I would like to the app to remember my movies folder between executions, just as you remember font settings etc.

My download folder is located deep within my C drive, and a typical use of the GUI builder for me is to launch it after having downloaded one movie.

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by badeip /forum/post/12751543

I would like to the app to remember my movies folder between executions, just as you remember font settings etc.

My download folder is located deep within my C drive, and a typical use of the GUI builder for me is to launch it after having downloaded one movie.

Done.

Version 0.44 remembers the enclosing folder's location along with user settings. Settings are now loaded automatically upon program startup and saved upon quitting.

#64 ·
I have to move my "Start bar" from the bottom of my laptop screen to the side in order to see the buttons on the bottom ("Render and Save", etc.). Is there anyway to size the window so I can see the buttons without moving the start bar?

#68 ·
Guy-

I must tell you that I love this app. Very easy to use and makes my library a pleasure to navigate. Is there any way to edit a TViX.jpg once it has been created? (If I relaunch the app on a different day and want to change or resize some text or replace the cover art).

Thanks for the hard work.

#69 ·
I'm afraid not. That would require my program to store and catalog the cover art and text for each movie - much more work than I can put into a quick, freebie tool.

The only thing you can do in that circumstance is to redo that particular film you wish to modify. You'd need to uncheck the "Show Only Unprocessed Folders" button so you can reselect the movie's folder for work.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Kuo /forum/post/12753287

Try v 0.44. The window is shorter and should a bit better for you.

Edit. Just noticed the Comcast server had an older build. Download 0.44 again now to get lastest.

Awesome. Thanks!

It never ceases to amaze me how nice and giving some people are in this world. It seems like such a simple program, but I couldn't do it. So I applaud Guy. Thank you!

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann41 /forum/post/12757994

...If I reformat my windows will this program still remembers my save setting?

I don't know.

The settings are in a file in your system's preferences folder. My suspicion is that a complete Windows reinstall could delete that folder, but I don't know one way or another.

#76 ·
Improved drag and drop support. Now you can drag an image from a web browser directly into the Rendering window without invoking the clipboard.

Dragging text into the synopsis text field appends the text to the existing text.

Dragging text into elsewhere in the main window REPLACES the existing synopsis and renders a preview.

Added to Advanced pane controls to select between Amazon, IMDB, or Walmart as place to begin web search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.