Sony's DMX-NV1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 12-16-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a new Sony rear projection TV that has th ability to use the internet connection device the DMX-NV1. I've been reading about it and have a question. I'm not being a wise guy, honest. But why? Why would we want this device?

If I want to watch internet video I can connect my wireless laptop directly to the TV and use my laptop.

What am I missing?

Does someone have this device that can illustrate how you use it? I have network access and if the thing actually makes sense I could easily connect my TV to the internet. And it looks like doing so would be kinda cool and all. But it has to provide something I can't already do.

Jim

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 12-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't forget, Sony also owns a movie studio. I suspect sometime in the not too distant future, they plan to stream their movies directly to your home, bypassing all the middlemen (e.g., AMC, Blockbuster, Amazon) and keeping all of the money for themselves.
post #3 of 91 Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well that would be nice but still not sure why you would need this network device. Like I said using a laptop or a HTPC that is connected to the web would do the same.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4 of 91 Old 12-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
I've been following this for quite some time, but there is very little real info about this. Let me tell you my thoughts, and what I have discovered so far:

this is one of many Sony attempts at provided some form of media connect box. the original was the RoomLink, which permitted connection between a Sony VAIO computer and your TV, well before Microsoft's Windows XP Media Center PCs and Media Connect boxes. At the time, many Sony VAIO computers had built-in TV tuners with record capability, and the RoomLink device, when connected to your TV and your home network, would permit viewing recorded video, viewing pictures from your photo library, and listening to your music from your music library. Initially with a hard-wired LAN, then eventually to WiFi, but in the 802.11a band for better thruput. All SD.

Fast forward thru Windows XP Media Center, and now Vista Home Premium, with Xbox 360 for viewing media; still rocket science to mostpeople, but better than the original Sony Roomink device. Sony eventually updated some of the RoomLink devices for Windows Media Connect compatibility, in addition to the proprietary Sony VAIO methods.

What is supposed to happen with the DMX-NV1 device is integration into the Sony TV remote control, and the Media bar that is prevalent in the current Sony TV models; quite similar to the navigation menu bar on the PSP and the PS3.

The DMX has several required connections: one USB connection to the TV, so that remote control codes can be passed from the TV to the DMX; and HDMI connection and pass-thru for the video/audio; a network connection.

At some point, Sony is supposed to have (may have already) an internet portal that will provide viewers with VOD over the internet - movies, videos, and other content.

The box REQUIRES a compatible Sony TV. If you have an older Sony without the required USB connection, or any other brand TV, the DMX is NOT for you.

So, is there any "there" there?

Not from what I can see.

At the local Fry's, I ran into a Sony rep - only thing he could show me was the canned demo Sony is providing to the dealer. No live connection to the Internet, so could not really see what service was actually live.

We have a local Sonystyle store, and I found the same setup there - no live connection to the internet, so could only see the canned demo. I suggested that it would be a good idea to connect the device to the internet, espeically since they have that connectivity for other devices in the store...

I have a google alert setup for any sotries or blog entries for the DMX; other than alerts whenever there is some sales prootion, no real reviews or user experiences have been uncovered.

So for now, who is going to jump in and see Sony't latest attempt?

The box is well made like most Sony products, but I think this will be yet again another orphan like the Sony RoomLink, or their LocationFree boxes.

So for now, no reason to purchase, unless you can confirm the capabilities with a live demo. I think it actually does less than Apple's Apple TV, and that's not very much!

I've played with home video server with various NAS, Xbox 360, and PS3. Intilly the Sony showed some promise, but I don't thinkit is ready for prime-time just yet. Lurkers, correct my perceptions is wrong...

If you go to the Sony support site, you'll find training tutorials and the manuals.

Mike

M2 in OR
-----------------------------------
we live in interesting times
post #5 of 91 Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

I have a new Sony rear projection TV that has th ability to use the internet connection device the DMX-NV1. I've been reading about it and have a question. I'm not being a wise guy, honest. But why? Why would we want this device?

If I want to watch internet video I can connect my wireless laptop directly to the TV and use my laptop.

What am I missing?

Does someone have this device that can illustrate how you use it? I have network access and if the thing actually makes sense I could easily connect my TV to the internet. And it looks like doing so would be kinda cool and all. But it has to provide something I can't already do.

Jim

But just as mmihalik has stated there is very little real user info on this unit.
and no hands on reviews from any on the online electronic reviewers like gizmodo, engadget, cnet etc...
The thing I would like best about this unit its ability to show a TV schedule since I only pick up all my content OTA and since my Sony KDS-60A3000 does not have a 7 day guide (which it should) this is what I would use it mostly for.
if you do decide to take the first plung please post your review.
post #6 of 91 Old 02-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Liked: 11
I finally saw this live at the Sony booth at CES last month.

Content: very limited as supplied by Sony
Resolution: though HD capable, no HD content provided by Sony over the dedicated Sony website
View content from local server: evidently not capable

So...my conclusion after playing with the actual unit with a live Internet connection?
- an expensive box for what it does
- for the same money, get an Xbox or PS3; you'll be much happier
- perhaps Sony may do more in the future, but for right now, it doesn't do anything useful

Sony has had similar devices over the years, and has simply never really pushed them very hard. Each generation obsoletes the previous. I have the original RoomLink that started Sony down this path. While it works, it really was never supported well by Sony.

I'd wait for future developments before taking a leap and buying this. Also, very important: due to the integration with the Bravia media bar and the USB connection, it will NOT work as a standalone device with any other TV.

Mike

M2 in OR
we live in interesting times
post #7 of 91 Old 03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
M4H

Since the other cross-post was in the "HDTV Reception Hardware" forum, I think this might be more relevant here, and make the DMX-NV1 a more possible purchase:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13082343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilas View Post

New for BIVL, 3 providers added: Singing Fool; Video Detective; FearNet

anybody tray this, looks interesting, i look forward for improvement.

send2mytv dev.internet.sony.tv/extensions/send2mytv

Send2MyTV adds a context menu item to Windows/IE Explorer. Right click on
a file/Link in Windows Explorer/IE and the Menubar that pops up now has a
"Send2MyTV" link. If you select it, the File location shall be
converted to a usable URL and sent to the TV.

If you have not configured Send2MyTV earlier, it shall ask you for configuration
the first time you do "Send2MyTV". The settings are (all of these are mandatory) -
1. TV IP -> IP Address of the TV
2. TV Port -> Port Number on TV to connect to (default is 9784)
3. Map Local Directory & Local Webserver Directory
In order for Send2MyTV to convert the File location to a URL usable by
the TV, you need to do the following -
a) Install Apachefriends XAMPP (or any other HTTP server) on your local machine
b) Configure Apache/HTTP Server to export e.g D:\\ as /d_drive (for XAMPP edit apache\\conf\\httpd.conf file)
i) To do this in Add the following lines in the section

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

ii) Add the following line to the list of aliases
Alias /d_drv/ "D:/"
iii) Restart Apache
c)Enter "D:\\" in Map Local Directory and "/d_drive/" in Local Webserver Directory

Its all set to Go now !!!

Try the Send2MyTV Firefox extension to send internet links from Firefox to the TV

tl;dr version: Installing a webserver on a local machine on your network appears to let you serve up local videos to the DMX-NV1.

Could anyone with this device try a few different codecs? The posting says "AVC/MPEG/WMV" so DivX appears to be out of the question, and I wouldn't count on the popular Matroska (MKV) container being supported - but remuxed into an .MP4 container might work.

I'm still not "$300 interested" but this would sure make me "$100 on eBay interested" in this device. I'm sure not going to pay 75% the cost of a PS3 for 7.5% of the functionality.
post #8 of 91 Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

I hate to revive an old thread but I have been looking into this. I have the full Sony setup (52"LCD, Blu Ray player, 7.1 Receiver etc) and I want to enable the BD Live using my wireless signal. everywhere I look everyone tells me to get a simple internet bridge to do this, but no I am wondering if the DMX-NV1 will do this...anyone know?
post #9 of 91 Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drballard33 View Post

I hate to revive an old thread but I have been looking into this. I have the full Sony setup (52"LCD, Blu Ray player, 7.1 Receiver etc) and I want to enable the BD Live using my wireless signal. everywhere I look everyone tells me to get a simple internet bridge to do this, but no I am wondering if the DMX-NV1 will do this...anyone know?

Since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab. Disclaimer: I do not own this device.

No. The DMX-NV1 will not help you here. It's purpose is to stream content directly to your TV. Your BD player probably won't even recognize it.

If your player has an ethernet port, connect it to the internet via your router. For BD-Live, a wireless connections should suffice (though I recommend cable whenever feasible). You'll need a game adapter or the aforementioned bridge.
post #10 of 91 Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Since no one else has answered, I'll take a stab. Disclaimer: I do not own this device.

No. The DMX-NV1 will not help you here. It's purpose is to stream content directly to your TV. Your BD player probably won't even recognize it.

I own this device and I second the above explanation. The BIVL is almost completely a walled garden of a system. The channels besides YouTube and Amazon have anywhere from 16 to a few hundred videos available for viewing. Earlier this year, the CBS channel had full-length episodes of some series, but that seems to have been discontinued. Now all that remains on the CBS channel are a few hundred clips of shows on their network.

The YouTube channel on the BIVL can access almost anything on YouTube, but the search interface to get to specific clips is cumbersome.

The Amazon channel can access all of the same pay-to-rent VOD clips that are available on the Roku box.

There is a browser plugin that enables the user to push video links from a Firefox 2.x (not 3.x) browser on the same LAN/subnet. In my experience, video links that will actually play on the BIVL are few and far between. It doesn't allow you to push RSS video feeds to the box. It doesn't support all streaming protocols.

There are elements of a really cool product here, but since the only messages Sony has sent to users of the box were dated 2007 and 2008, it appears that Sony has lost interest in updating the BIVL to work with the tools of 2009 and beyond.
post #11 of 91 Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarsAntone View Post

There are elements of a really cool product here, but since the only messages Sony has sent to users of the box were dated 2007 and 2008, it appears that Sony has lost interest in updating the BIVL to work with the tools of 2009 and beyond.

I totally agree with everything you just said and it does appear that Sony hasn't done much with the device but on the bright side BIVL is now integrated with the Bravia XBR9's!

So that's my one glimmer of hope. If they are including it in their 09 top of the line models then maybe they'll put out some updates.
post #12 of 91 Old 07-11-2009, 02:54 PM

Looks like Sony has inked a deal with Netflix to add their service to the DMX.
post #13 of 91 Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganB View Post

Looks like Sony has inked a deal with Netflix to add their service to the DMX.

That's terrific news. I was just thinking the other day that if the Amazon service works on the BIVL, the Netflix service should too, since they both work on the Roku box.

The article I found in a news search lists the other new content partners, too.

Quote:

In addition to the Netflix partnership, Sony announced it was adding content from Demand Media (which includes Golflink.com, Livestrong.com, and eHow.com) and from ON Networks(Golf Tips, Play Value, and Beautiful Places).

These new partners are already showing up on the box. Another article I found indicates that we'll see the Netflix capability added "in the fall."
post #14 of 91 Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Well I took the bait with the promise of Netflix and bought one. Does anyone know if Amazon VOD streams 5.1? I have the optical out from the back of my tv hooked up to my receiver but did not get 5.1 on the sample HD movie.
post #15 of 91 Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Well I took the bait with the promise of Netflix and bought one. Does anyone know if Amazon VOD streams 5.1? I have the optical out from the back of my tv hooked up to my receiver but did not get 5.1 on the sample HD movie.

No streaming is only in stereo. To get 5.1, you'll need to actually download the video which requires a PC or a TiVo Series 3 DVR.

BTW in case any one is interested, I updated the Firefox PC to TV add-on to work in Firefox 3.5 (it was fairly simple). It's a pretty useless add-on though since it only let's you "add" individual videos, not feeds.

Speaking of which, is there any other way to get videos into the "My Video Links" channel on this thing?
The manual says to use the "Save this link" menu item under the Options menu, when over a video thumbnail. The problem is there is no "Save this link" menu entry.
post #16 of 91 Old 07-24-2009, 01:13 AM

Netflix is now showing up in the video list. It just says coming in fall though.
post #17 of 91 Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 PM

I believe Sony already has some content webpages that it directs you to of "free" content that you can watch on the Brahvia Intenet Video Link. This, in addition to the Amazon unbox service, is all I know that it supports for now. I saw this free content demoed about a year ago at a Sony engineering facility.

rlowell
post #18 of 91 Old 07-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morac View Post

BTW in case any one is interested, I updated the Firefox PC to TV add-on to work in Firefox 3.5 (it was fairly simple). It's a pretty useless add-on though since it only let's you "add" individual videos, not feeds.

Speaking of which, is there any other way to get videos into the "My Video Links" channel on this thing?

AFAIK, the browser plugin is the only way to add links. I've found that there are a maddeningly small number of protocols supported in the "my links" area. What I'd really like to be able to add is links to RSS feeds.

I'm impressed that you updated that plugin. Even if you share it here, you should give (or sell) your version to Sony.
post #19 of 91 Old 07-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarsAntone View Post

AFAIK, the browser plugin is the only way to add links. I've found that there are a maddeningly small number of protocols supported in the "my links" area. What I'd really like to be able to add is links to RSS feeds.

I'm impressed that you updated that plugin. Even if you share it here, you should give (or sell) your version to Sony.

It basically is Sony's add-on with some minor changes to get it to work in Firefox 3.5. If I were writing it from scratch, I'd rewrite the whole thing since it looks like it was hastily thrown together. It would be cool if it could scan the page for all videos and then bring up up a list that you could then choose what video you want to add. The way it works now you can technically add any link on the page, 99.9% of which won't play.

BTW the addon isn't the only way of adding links to the Bravia, there is a hidden web site which let's you add links. See post 20 in this thread and it's followup post 24.
post #20 of 91 Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:

No streaming is only in stereo. To get 5.1, you'll need to actually download the video which requires a PC or a TiVo Series 3 DVR.

BAH! I remain mystified as to why content providers think people care about HD image but not sound. Most annoying.
post #21 of 91 Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:

BAH! I remain mystified as to why content providers think people care about HD image but not sound. Most annoying.

The major problem is that all movie/tv providers use WMV for streaming since it allows the use of DRM. WMV doesn't support AC3 or DD+ audio and WMA doesn't support 5.1 audio so providers are stuck with stereo.

Here's what Netflix had to say about this:
Quote:

Today, we cannot use WMDRM to deliver AC3 or DD+ audio, which means that only stereo (delivered via WMA) is available. PCs and Macs decode the WMA, and CE players also transcode to PCM for digital connections to receivers. We could technically include multichannel audio using WMAPro, but essentially no receivers are actually capable of decoding that. We are working on solutions to deliver multichannel audio for all the streams where we have suitable source, but this won't happen in 2008 for sure.

The other part of the problem is that the way the DMX-NV1 is set up there's no way to actually decode the 5.1 sound. The DMX-NV1's HDMI cable is designed to plug directly into the TV as such there's no way to get 5.1 sound even if it was provided since the audio out from the TV won't pass 5.1 from the HDMI ports (only from the internal tuner)

You could run the HDMI cable from the NV1 to a receiver and then back to the TV I suppose, but that's not the way it was designed to be hooked up.
post #22 of 91 Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:

BTW the addon isn't the only way of adding links to the Bravia, there is a hidden web site which let's you add links. See post 20 in this thread and it's followup post 24.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's a much better solution than the plugin, so I've bookmarked my custom link. It's crazy that Sony created this and didn't bother to share it with BIVL owners.
post #23 of 91 Old 07-31-2009, 04:21 PM

I only bought this recently, but I've noticed that it sometimes reboots itself for no reason. It seems to get sluggish before it does this.

Has anyone else seen this?
post #24 of 91 Old 08-07-2009, 04:02 PM

I last called Sony about an update for my TV (46w4100) last week. During the conversation I asked about the ability to stream directly (no TVersity) from a PC with the BIVL. I was told that they were working on an update for this fall.
post #25 of 91 Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM

There's now an menu item under Video that allows searching for videos. It searches all videos except Amazon and YouTube.

There's also an activation menu under Network, which allows easier activation.

Finally the http://internet.sony.tv site has been updated.
post #26 of 91 Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM

does anyone need a Sony DMX-NV1??

pm me
post #27 of 91 Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:

There's now an menu item under Video that allows searching for videos. It searches all videos except Amazon and YouTube.

There's also an activation menu under Network, which allows easier activation.

It's confusing that this new activation menu appears on devices that have already been activated. I've clicked that menu choice a few times either inadvertently or on purpose to try to get it to do something on my activated box and it just hangs.

I wish Sony and/or Netflix would hurry up with whatever needs to happen to get Netflix working on the BIVL. It's Fall 2009 now, we're tired of waiting!
post #28 of 91 Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a way to get to Hulu thru the DMX-NV1?

Rick
post #29 of 91 Old 10-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

Is there a way to get to Hulu thru the DMX-NV1?

No.
post #30 of 91 Old 10-25-2009, 06:09 PM

After researching this for about an hour I think the best and easiest way to get internet content to a Sony TV is to just subscribe to the Xbox 360 Live Gold service which also supports Netflix now.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page