Logitech Squeezebox Duet Network Music Player - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 730 Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had similar problems with tagging in the past, but now I can run a rescan with no problem. A couple of things you might want to try.

Crashing - I had same foriegn (Japanese) albums, and fixed the crashing by retagging them with english characters.

Mis-Indexing - I had some albums that wre tagged with both APE and ID3 tags. This seemed to confuse SB, solved by removing the APE tags.

Album Art - All my files have embedded album art.

To be fair to SB, it seems that all music managers have a slightly different way of interpreting the tags. I went for the "lowest common denominator" approach by only using album, artist, track, title, year and genre tags

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 730 Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaugh View Post

I have had similar problems with tagging in the past, but now I can run a rescan with no problem. A couple of things you might want to try.

Crashing - I had same foriegn (Japanese) albums, and fixed the crashing by retagging them with english characters.

Mis-Indexing - I had some albums that wre tagged with both APE and ID3 tags. This seemed to confuse SB, solved by removing the APE tags.

Album Art - All my files have embedded album art.

To be fair to SB, it seems that all music managers have a slightly different way of interpreting the tags. I went for the "lowest common denominator" approach by only using album, artist, track, title, year and genre tags

Hope this helps.

I don't get the impression SWS is looking for "pointers", to try again; I'm sure he's happy with his solution. But more of an FYI, maybe for others to consider.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #723 of 730 Old 02-11-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

I don't get the impression SWS is looking for "pointers", to try again; I'm sure he's happy with his solution. But more of an FYI, maybe for others to consider.

CD

I have sold most of my SB setup but those tips might be helpful for others.

having to jump through hoops with SC when I don't have any such problems in XBMC, iTunes or MediaMonkey just is a big turn off. I like my solutions to work and be robust not fickle.

Sean
post #724 of 730 Old 05-12-2011, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Amazon has the Duet at a pretty nice price today.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #725 of 730 Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,

I just added a couple of cd's to my collection. I have a Zune and so I use that software to rip cd's to the hard drive. This afternoon I ripped a new cd by Citizen Cope (actually released in 2007) to my hard drive. No problemo and it brought the cover art in like normal. After that was done, I Rescan'd my library using the "Look for new and changed music" drop-down option. I got the music, but not the cover art on my remote. Any idea what went wrong and how I can get the art to show up on the remote?

Thanks for any help,
Craigo

Remember... no matter where you go, there you are.
post #726 of 730 Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I have a couple of questions, and I would greatly appreciate if anyone could answer them. I figured as a long-time AVS member, I'd ask here first, before registering on the SB forum, where I know no one.

I recently purchased a SB Duet. Does anybody know what is a highly-compatible router to use with it, that the SBD doesn't have any, or at least the least amount of issues with (that performs well all-around, and is not too overly-complicated to set up)?

Also: is it normal for the range to be so bad on this model? I sit not more than 20 feet away, in the next room, and the signal's just passing through a simple drywall. There's a French Door opening next to where the router is, and when I pick it up and move it out in the open, with the doors open and no glass to reflect anything, it still doesn't improve any.

I get SS readings on the controller consistently in the twenties when I'm sitting down, and when I get up and walk in the other room, and get within a couple of feet from the router, the signal finally climbs into the 70's or 80's. I have to literally get it a few inches in front of the router for it to get at or near 100%. The highest I can get it in the other room is around 58% (maybe 5 or 6 feet from the router behind the wall), but I have to keep it far away from where I sit. I would like to at least be able to keep it next to me - that's mainly why I chose the Duet over the Touch - for the controller.

I do have the Duet unit sitting down kind of low in an entertainment stand, but it's still right out at the front, and has a pretty open, direct signal path (albeit a little angled - but still open), and is only about 20 feet away, like I said.

By the way, this is with a Netgear WNDR3400 router, which I *think* is set right (I will change that out, though, for something better. Besides, it doesn't have the ReadyNAS capability like the 3700 would, which I would gladly switch to - or anything else, as long as it's highly recommended as being compatible. Shouldn't need anything in the setup more elaborate than just the right router, at 20 open feet). I was losing the connection about an hour into listening all the time, but I fooled with some settings on the router and reset the SB last night, and I hope things will have improved. I have yet to turn it on for an extended listening session, but after the changes, the signal strength issue was unchanged. The router is new, and it doesn't seem defective, as it's working well enough otherwise.

I would've bought the WNDR3700, but stupid BB was *out* of them last Sunday, the first day of the sale, so I just grabbed the WNDR3400, because I needed something quick, and saw both models advertised as on sale in the Sunday ads (I do like their easy setup, though). I didn't realize the part about the ReadyNAS (as I was mostly interested in just listening to internet radio using the controller at first, but still would like it to be capable of handling everything else for whenever), but I can just return that (even if I do have to eat a re-stocking fee). I had a D-Link DIR-655 before (which I busted while trying to reboot - don't ask. I would be willing to buy another one if it's the best choice, though), which was always a great router for me, but I was getting disconnects on the SBD with that, too.

And yes, I do have time to return the Duet, also - however, it would be nice to keep the controller if I were to get the Touch. Although if I can't keep it near me, there isn't much of a difference, anyway. If the Touch is a lot more reliable, I might just give in (that current Crutchfield deal for it in the Touch thread here sure does look tempting). I can certainly see how the Duet frustrates the hell out of people, though, with the disconnects, freezing and constant need for reboots and reconfiguring.

Sorry that the post turned out as long as it did - but I did try to make it detailed, yet as easy as possible to follow.
post #727 of 730 Old 07-21-2011, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Rammitinski -
I have 2 SB3 Classics, my parents have 2 SB3 Classics and a Squeezebox Duet.

No problems with any of them, but I will break it down:
One of my SB3's is hardwired, no problems
My other SB3 shoots through 2 walls at 50' with no problems (60% signal I think?)
My parents have 1 wired and 1 wireless SB3 Classic at 20' no wall with no problem
My parents Duet runs roughly 50' through a wall and no problem

I did have problems with my wireless SB3 for a short while. I then reinstalled the firmware on the SB3 and was up and running with no problems. While troubleshooting, I had a friend also suggest that I change the "channel" on my router in case there was some kind of interference from another wireless signal in my house. Worth looking at, but I am unable to help you on how to do this??

What you are experiencing is not normal, something is going on.
post #728 of 730 Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I have a couple of questions, and I would greatly appreciate if anyone could answer them. I figured as a long-time AVS member, I'd ask here first, before registering on the SB forum, where I know no one.

I recently purchased a SB Duet. Does anybody know what is a highly-compatible router to use with it, that the SBD doesn't have any, or at least the least amount of issues with (that performs well all-around, and is not too overly-complicated to set up)?

Also: is it normal for the range to be so bad on this model? I sit not more than 20 feet away, in the next room, and the signal's just passing through a simple drywall. There's a French Door opening next to where the router is, and when I pick it up and move it out in the open, with the doors open and no glass to reflect anything, it still doesn't improve any.

I get SS readings on the controller consistently in the twenties when I'm sitting down, and when I get up and walk in the other room, and get within a couple of feet from the router, the signal finally climbs into the 70's or 80's. I have to literally get it a few inches in front of the router for it to get at or near 100%. The highest I can get it in the other room is around 58% (maybe 5 or 6 feet from the router behind the wall), but I have to keep it far away from where I sit. I would like to at least be able to keep it next to me - that's mainly why I chose the Duet over the Touch - for the controller.

I do have the Duet unit sitting down kind of low in an entertainment stand, but it's still right out at the front, and has a pretty open, direct signal path (albeit a little angled - but still open), and is only about 20 feet away, like I said.

By the way, this is with a Netgear WNDR3400 router, which I *think* is set right (I will change that out, though, for something better. Besides, it doesn't have the ReadyNAS capability like the 3700 would, which I would gladly switch to - or anything else, as long as it's highly recommended as being compatible. Shouldn't need anything in the setup more elaborate than just the right router, at 20 open feet). I was losing the connection about an hour into listening all the time, but I fooled with some settings on the router and reset the SB last night, and I hope things will have improved. I have yet to turn it on for an extended listening session, but after the changes, the signal strength issue was unchanged. The router is new, and it doesn't seem defective, as it's working well enough otherwise.

I would've bought the WNDR3700, but stupid BB was *out* of them last Sunday, the first day of the sale, so I just grabbed the WNDR3400, because I needed something quick, and saw both models advertised as on sale in the Sunday ads (I do like their easy setup, though). I didn't realize the part about the ReadyNAS (as I was mostly interested in just listening to internet radio using the controller at first, but still would like it to be capable of handling everything else for whenever), but I can just return that (even if I do have to eat a re-stocking fee). I had a D-Link DIR-655 before (which I busted while trying to reboot - don't ask. I would be willing to buy another one if it's the best choice, though), which was always a great router for me, but I was getting disconnects on the SBD with that, too.

And yes, I do have time to return the Duet, also - however, it would be nice to keep the controller if I were to get the Touch. Although if I can't keep it near me, there isn't much of a difference, anyway. If the Touch is a lot more reliable, I might just give in (that current Crutchfield deal for it in the Touch thread here sure does look good, though). I can certainly see how the Duet frustrates the hell out of people, though, with the disconnects, freezing and constant need for reboots and reconfiguring.

Sorry that the post turned out as long as it did - but I did try to make it detailed, yet as easy as possible to follow.

Um, okay...I'll try.

I've been using Squeezebox units for about 4 years now, including 2 Duets (just replaced by a couple of Touch units, which I'll explain), 2 Booms, and a Radio.

I'm using the router that's built in to my DSL modem, so nothing special. It's a B/G model, so no N speeds wirelessly in my home. I have it connected to a 16-port ethernet bridge, which is feeding two separate 8-port bridges, one upstairs in my A/V cabinet, and one downstairs in my dedicated theater rack. The Booms and the Radio I run wirelessly. Both of the Booms receive approx. 80-95% strength consistently. The Radio, on the other hand, is in a room closer to the router, and I can get 75-90% strength, but seems to constantly (at least every other day) fall off the network. It reconnects with no problem by soft-resetting with the power button on the Radio, but it's fairly annoying.

The Duets were interesting. I had one in each of my A/V racks, and both were hooked up via Cat5e cable to their respective bridges. The one in my family room, on the same floor as my router, etc., worked very well, and had no problems reconnecting itself after power failures or power-cycling of my router (I use dynamic IP addresses in my network). Occasionally the Duet controller would lose the connection upstairs, but like the Radio, would reconnect itself by soft-resetting the unit with the power button. Downstairs, however, both my Duet and the controller were constantly falling off the network. The basement Duet was also connected via Cat5e, and the controller of course was wireless. My biggest beef with the Duet is trying to get both the receiver and controller to connect with the network, and half the time when trying to reconnect the Duet receiver with my network, it would default to a wireless connection despite the active presence of the Cat5e cable. I don't get a really strong wireless signal in my basement, averaging 25-60%, but it was low enough to cause consistent buffering. When I was able to connect the Duet via ethernet, I experienced no buffering.

The Touch units came yesterday and today. The first one I received yesterday, I put in the upstairs cabinet. Super, super easy to connect with the network due to the graphic interface, and no drops from the network thus far. I can use my Duet controller to control it, or the IR remote, or the touch screen itself, or the iPeng/Squeezepad/Logitech Squeezebox apps on my ipad/iphone/ipods. I got my basement theater unit hooked up this afternoon, again, very easy to get onto my network, all controls work great. I originally just ordered one Touch unit to replace the Duet downstairs that was always dropping off the network, but then Amazon had a lightning deal on the Touch for $30 less yesterday, so I snagged another unit. In addition to the network issues, I got the Touch units also for native playback of my 96/24 FLAC files downloaded from HDtracks.

All in all, I'm enjoying the Touch units, but it'll remain to be seen over the next several days/weeks if they stay on my network better. If you've got any ipod/ipads laying around that you can use as a controller, and/or want to order just the Duet controller to have graphical control at your fingertips, I personally would return the Duet for the Touch and opt for those routes now, but as I said, I lived with the Duets for about 4 years with only occasional nuisances. Still a fan of all the Squeezebox gear overall, but I also have a fairly decent understanding of my wireless/wired network since I set everything up myself. People with less patience/understanding may not fair as well.

Regardless of if you stick with the Duet or trade it in for the Touch, I hope you enjoy your music!!!

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #729 of 730 Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroedk View Post

If you've got any ipod/ipads laying around that you can use as a controller, and/or want to order just the Duet controller to have graphical control at your fingertips........

Regardless of if you stick with the Duet or trade it in for the Touch, I hope you enjoy your music!!!

Nope - no ipods/ipads here. The Duet controller alone was going for about the same price as the combo, when I ordered it. So I figured I might as well order the combo.

I'll try to fiddle with things, and wait and see first. I still have a little time. I know the DAC's supposed to be a bit better in the Touch, and I would certainly welcome that.

Thanks for the input, guys.
post #730 of 730 Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
An apology if this has been discussed in a later thread, but the Squeezecenter/LMC software has finally become stable and so these units, at least with hardwired receivers, are finally a decent and stable music streaming option for couchsurfers. So, I suppose it's natural Logitech would now kill the product line. RIP.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page