Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 730 Old 01-05-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw a preview of this streaming music player on Gizmodo blog:
http://gizmodo.com/341045/logitech-m...queezebox-duet

Seems like serious competition for Sonos at a much lower price point.

Specs:
Logitech® Squeezebox Duet Network Music Player
Listen to the music you love in any room in your home
Shipping: January 2008
Price: $399.99 (Controller and Receiver)1 Available at: www.logitech.com

Product Description
With the Logitech Squeezebox Duet Network Music System, music lovers can listen to digital
music on the home-entertainment system in their living room, the stereo system in their bedroom,
even on the mini-system in their kitchen - anywhere they have audio gear. And control it all from
the palm of their hand. The Squeezebox Duet offers an innovative controller with a full-color LCD
screen and compact receiver, enabling people to wirelessly browse, select and play all their PC
music on their existing stereo systems.

Key Features
o Multi-room controller with 2.4-inch color LCD screen
o Convenient interface includes scroll wheel, familiar menus, intuitive buttons
o Controller displays song titles, album art, personalized wallpapers and additional
information including RSS Feeds and radio station information2
o Support for a wide variety of digital music files, including uncompressed and lossless
formats
o True 802.11g wireless networking and dual internal antennas
o Easy to add more Squeezebox receivers, allowing people to listen to a different song in
each room, or synchronize their receivers to hear the same song throughout the house
o Connect to SqueezeNetwork, Logitech's always-on Internet radio and music aggregation
service, which enables Squeezebox Duet owners to stream music - even with their
computers turned off
o Access a directory of thousands of Internet radio stations and subscription services
including Pandora, MP3tunes and Rhapsody

System Requirements
o 256 MB RAM
o Ethernet or wireless network
o 20 MB hard disk space
o Windows: 733 MHz Pentium running Windows NT/2000/XP
o Mac: OS X 10.3.5 or later
o Linux / BSD / Solaris / Other: Perl 5.8.3 or later
o Broadband Internet connection3

Warranty
o Two-year limited warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 730 Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I came across this too, but the Sonos has a larger screen and appears to maybe have a nicer feel in the hand.

Time will tell if the Duet will be a better value.
post #3 of 730 Old 01-06-2008, 12:16 AM

As a music player, the Squeezebox (2 or 3) is excellent.

The Duet appears to be the Squeezebox without a screen, and with a screen in the remote.

It's quite likely that the Sonos remote is better, but I doubt if it is so much better as to make the whole system better value. Particularly as the Squeezebox software is open source and there are plenty of third-party add-ons.
post #4 of 730 Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcohen View Post

Particularly as the Squeezebox software is open source and there are plenty of third-party add-ons.

Where does one go to read more about the add-on's?
post #5 of 730 Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omszz View Post

Just saw a preview of this streaming music player on Gizmodo blog:
http://gizmodo.com/341045/logitech-m...queezebox-duet

I read the specs on Logitechs site:
Squeezebox Duet:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp.../3817&cl=us,en
Squeezebox 3:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/881&cl=us,en

Apparently the DAC has been changed from "High fidelity 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC" to "High-fidelity 24-bit Wolfson DAC" !

There has been a lot of talk since Logitech aquired Slim Devices and one of the major concerns has been if Logitech would lower the quality of the products!

I have no idea of the quality of these DACs and would like to know if I can expect the same quality from the new squeezebox Duet as I got from the old one - or put more correctly; are the two significantly different in quality?

Furthermore I would like to know if perhaps the new remote can be used in conjunction with the old squeezebox - i read somewhere that the remote will be sold separately as well and if it "speaks" with the SqueezeCenter software perhaps the hardware box is not that important!

Regards, Tommy Ipsen
post #6 of 730 Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsen View Post

Furthermore I would like to know if perhaps the new remote can be used in conjunction with the old squeezebox - i read somewhere that the remote will be sold separately as well and if it "speaks" with the SqueezeCenter software perhaps the hardware box is not that important!

Apparently the hardware is less important according to Slim Devices (http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_controller.html)- the controller works with existing squeezeboxes as well as the transporter.

Now that just leaves the question regarding the audio quality... ?
post #7 of 730 Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Will you still need to use an Amp with this product or can you plug speakers (non-powered speakers) directly into it?

This is one thing that Sonos definitely did right. Think about it - if you have that great remote it's not going to do much for you if you still have to use another remote to the get the Amp turned on and switched to the proper input.

I have three Sonos zone players and one of them is in my living room. I have it hooked to a completely seperate set of speakers from my main entertainment system just for the convenience of being able to pick up the remote and start listening to music.
post #8 of 730 Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby View Post

Will you still need to use an Amp with this product or can you plug speakers (non-powered speakers) directly into it?

You need a separate amplifier or powered speakers with the squeezebox.

This is actually the setup I personally prefer since I already have a Sony surround receiver and would like to hook up the squeezebox to the receiver. Furthermore the receiver has different inputs like tv, cd, dvd and pc - and all of these has to share the speakers controlled by the receiver.

The Squeezebox Duet has ordinary analog RCA outputs (High fidelity Wolfson® 24-bit DAC) and optical and coax digital connections if you would like an external DAC to do the magic.

I also read something about DTS pass-through - does this mean I can stream my audio concert-recordings through the squeezebox and get it in surround!? (Then I just need to figure out how I rip my Audio-DVDs to FLAC-format with DTS)

Regards, Tommy Ipsen
post #9 of 730 Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsen View Post

I read the specs on Logitechs site:
Squeezebox Duet:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp.../3817&cl=us,en
Squeezebox 3:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp...s/881&cl=us,en

Apparently the DAC has been changed from "High fidelity 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC" to "High-fidelity 24-bit Wolfson DAC" !

There has been a lot of talk since Logitech aquired Slim Devices and one of the major concerns has been if Logitech would lower the quality of the products!

I have no idea of the quality of these DACs and would like to know if I can expect the same quality from the new squeezebox Duet as I got from the old one - or put more correctly; are the two significantly different in quality?

Regards, Tommy Ipsen

It appears the Duet Receiver will be slightly inferior to the SB3 in regards to the DAC and audio specs: Wolfson v Burr-Brown, Signal-to-Noise Ratio is down, THD is up. So the real move is for SB3 owners to get that Controller. But $299 is steep! How about a discount for current SB3 owners?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #10 of 730 Old 01-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
I can't wait to here some feedback on this product! It looks awesome. For me, it brings out the best of Sonos, SqueezeBox Standard and Apple TV. Admittedly, I don't know much about DACs and so forth, but for the common man at $399...

JP

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." -- W.C. Fields
post #11 of 730 Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9suffix View Post

...but for the common man at $399...

I think 399$ sounds appealing as well - unfortunately here in Denmark it currently retails at about 650$ - we're used to paying a premium compared to the states but I think this is a little too much...
post #12 of 730 Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

I called and ordered some Audioengine 5 speakers and why i was at it i decided to order a Squeezebox 3. The guy was really helpful and said soon they would have more Squeezebox's but at ces it was a new Squeezebox and why don't i wait, read and review it before i made my choice.

I started going around and i have found about three videos on the Squeezebox Duet, 2 on cnet, one on youtube and somewhere else i think. They all say about the same thing. Keep in mind, i have no music streamer now. I noticed the nice remote but i like the lit up Squeezebox 3 base better than this plain base on the duet.

So today i called Logitech and talked to tech support. He thinks they will be selling in a couple weeks. He told me to watch the web site. I asked would the remote work with the older Squeezeboxes and he said "yes". He then said, why not just get the duet and if you have no streamer and you can see all you need and so much easier with just the remote? I agree, he was right but what i have seen with the sb3, i like some of the screens and want that also. Maybe i am way to picky.

At the very end of the conversation i did ask, how much will the remote be? I think he told me like $299.00 and yes this is high. Then i ask, would they make me a better deal or let me buy the sb3 and this new remote to go with it? He said "yes" i think they are working on pricing and a discount if i wanted to go that route. For instance, 299 for sb3 and then add another 299 for that remote is high but it seems they will offer a discount but how much i do not know. I want to only stream music in one room, bedroom, plus puter is there, stereo and these new audioengines hooked to puter. So in my case i feel i would pick a sb3(save money) over the duet but with a discount but if they offer enough discount with this new remote and sb3, then i will go that route. Sorry for long post. I'll even probably try the sb thru the audioengines and even thru a digital stereo receiver and see what i prefer and use.
post #13 of 730 Old 01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
This new squeezebox looks good. if it is compatible with the old one would be happy to add one on for another room.
post #14 of 730 Old 01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

I agree for expansion, this new duet looks really nice.
post #15 of 730 Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffin View Post

Where does one go to read more about the add-on's?

SlimDevices Web site. Click the Community tab, and then the Plugins tab.

You can also get to the very active forums under the community tab.
post #16 of 730 Old 02-03-2008, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Any updates on when the Duets are set to drop?

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #17 of 730 Old 02-04-2008, 02:25 PM

February.
post #18 of 730 Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Any updates on when the Duets are set to drop?

CD

They are now accepting pre-orders on the Duet and separately. I have the duet pre-ordered and will report back.
Right now it is free delivery and 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
post #19 of 730 Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

They are now accepting pre-orders on the Duet and separately. I have the duet pre-ordered and will report back.
Right now it is free delivery and 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

Thanks, I got the notice as well.

CD

post #20 of 730 Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM

Off topic a bit but I was selected for a survey for Rhapsody music ( I subscribe to their to go service). Anyway they look like they may be offering what looks to be a Sqeezebox v3 for about $99.00 to subscribers. Now like I said this was a "very limited" survey so it may or may not come to fruition but I thought it was at least something to mention. BTW the survey was just asking if I streamed my music yada yada then brought up a pic of again what looked like the Squeezebox v3 and asked if this was at a 99.00 price point how likely would you purchase/do you think it would bring more value to your subscription? so on.
post #21 of 730 Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Any reviews yet? I am trying to decide b/w Sonos and Duet?
post #22 of 730 Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M 350Z View Post

Any reviews yet? I am trying to decide b/w Sonos and Duet?

My notice from them said it would ship by the end of Feb.
post #23 of 730 Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

im pretty excited about this as well, so far no reviews that i can find other that a bunch of CES writeups. If anyone has a link to a hands on review please share with the thread.

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
post #24 of 730 Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM

No reviews yet as the software is not yet final.

However the sound is very close to the SB3. I can't tell the difference between the two but the SB3 measures a bit better.

The Sonos and Squeezeboxen have roughly the same sound quality. The Transporter is superior to both.

Mike
post #25 of 730 Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Michael, thanks for the info, can you let us know how production is going and when we can expect our pre-orders to start shipping?

Thanks

post #26 of 730 Old 02-15-2008, 10:16 AM

Production is not the problem. We can't ship until we get final software. They will hopefully go to a Release Candidate next week, bake it for a week, approve it, then we will ship.

The RC release is a day to day thing tho, and it's not going RC today.

Mike
post #27 of 730 Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 PM

WIll this device allow you to listen to any streaming intenet radion source?

And can you pause that source live and re-start it from the same point?

I'm looking for something that will alow me to stream live internet radio to my stereo and then sync that audio to the broadcast of sporting events on my television. As most folks who have a favorite sportscaster that broadcasts over the radio know, that signal is always out of sync with the television. Will this device allow me to sync the two?
post #28 of 730 Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchilada View Post

Production is not the problem. We can't ship until we get final software. They will hopefully go to a Release Candidate next week, bake it for a week, approve it, then we will ship.

The RC release is a day to day thing tho, and it's not going RC today.

Mike

Any updates? I'm getting antsy!
post #29 of 730 Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbungle View Post

Any updates? I'm getting antsy!

Looks like its gonna be tight to make the late feb ship dates..

post #30 of 730 Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 AM

I just about bought the Sonos system and this looks way better. What does the file structure need to look like. I have all my files in Artist>Album> in flac format with folder.jpg as album art. Will this structure work?

Does it pull the art from the folders or online?

I can't wait to try this baby out.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page