post #3421 of 3448 Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

I have about 1400 features in the can, so far. I watch based on intrinsic interest; if the movie is any good, I'll keep it.

Who cares?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3448 Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solfan View Post

Who cares?

I do, naturally. (My comment was related to the utility of file size info.)
post #3423 of 3448 Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Solfan, if the .ts file has DTVCC data embedded in it you can use CCExtractor to quickly create an .srt file that will have the correct timing for the subtitles.

Just a week ago, they released v.58 and this version is working now with a lot of .ts files on which I had previously given up.

http://ccextractor.sourceforge.net/
post #3424 of 3448 Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 AM

yesterday i tried to upgrade my firmware in my dvico 6500 with sopoth method to 1.5.16 without success and i come back to put 1080i

now i retry to put with sopot method to 1.5.19

i hope to resolve this f**** flickering black curse

someone have resolve it?

dvico 6500 support is dead, so i with to upgrade my device at the best firmware that exist, and don't touch it forever

i wait any support from us

thanks for reading
post #3425 of 3448 Old 02-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Hi,
I just wonder, if the TVIX-HD M-6500A can be setup w/o the remote since I have left home without...
My HDMI screen complains of the HDMI mode and would not show a movie (though setup screens were visible)

Thanks!

Ran
post #3426 of 3448 Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ran, you can do any setup using the buttons on the front of the unit. Most likely you have "native framerate" enabled and the TV you're using doesn't support the format of the movie you're trying to play (24 Hz BD/MKV?). Disabling "native framerate" should fix that.
post #3427 of 3448 Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Hi all,
I need help to connect my 6500 wireless. After I enter my PW for the SSID I am not getting any TVX IP and Subnet Mask. However, the DNS Server and MAC are there.

Strange thing is, when I try to enter an incorrect PW for the SSID, I also get these 2 numbers!

I tried to turn off firewall in my router, but it seems like nothing helps

Any hints I can try further?

Thanks
post #3428 of 3448 Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Liked: 11
Hi All,

I need some help. I got a used TVix M6500 and I got a T410 tuner for it. It has firwmare 1.5.19UJ on it. I just got a WD20EARX WD 2TB green drive because it seems to be the coolest running big drive I could find. I WD aligned it and formatted NTFS. I confirmed 85MB/s sustained speed.

Everything seems ok - not as good as the 6620N though. But I'm having a problem with scheduled recording if the device starts from off (works if I leave it on). I searched all the boards and various websites and found this comment:

The Tvix boots accordingly to schedule. Where the bug (introduced by dvico with the 1.5.x series of firmwares) would have it hang on the 'loading' (to HDTV) screen...

This is the exact problem I'm having. In addition, turning off after recording seems to reboot instead and get stuck somewhere along the reboot. So to confirm, rolling back to 1.3.147 will solve the boot probem? Is this the best firmware?

I found references to Kalimergo's firmware but I couldn't find it anywhere on the net. Does that work?

What about the BD firmware? I assume these let you play bluray? I don't care about this as I only want PVR type functions. Any other reasons to use these firmware?

I also have these many questions:

1. Boot time is about 90 seconds. Quite slow but when trying towake up to record, it starts 3 minutes in advance. So that should be ok. I was worried it was because of the hard drive. So my question is that I don't really need to worry about the long boot time, it's the 1.5 series that has this bug?

2. Can I watch a previously recorded show while recording like the 6620N?

3. Can I skip forward/backward which watching a show?

4. What about bookmarks?

Thanks
post #3429 of 3448 Old 08-15-2012, 02:20 PM

If you don't need bd playback there is no specific need to load one of the bd firmwares.
However after some point all development done was in the 'bd-capable' version. So likely more/other fault were fixed in the bd firmwares vs the standard firmwares.

I have some stored in my server : browse and pick what you want. http://etmriwi.xs4all.nl/tvix

I ran with the "badeip 1.5.17 seres unlocked bd" version until I sold my 6500 some time ago.
post #3430 of 3448 Old 08-16-2012, 02:33 PM

riwi:

Thanks. I found you site a couple days ago and downloaded all the latest of each version. I'll try the firmware you recommend. But I suspect you weren't recording OTA TV with the 6500...
post #3431 of 3448 Old 08-16-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornanu View Post

riwi:
Thanks. I found you site a couple days ago and downloaded all the latest of each version. I'll try the firmware you recommend. But I suspect you weren't recording OTA TV with the 6500...

That is right, I never used the tuner stuff so I have no experience with that.
I would start with the latest and then work my way down. Unless you know of a specific version that supposedly works better for the TV part.
post #3432 of 3448 Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Liked: 13
I still use my 6500 for recording OTA without too many issues. I too have the 1.5.19UJ firmware and have never experienced a hang during "loading".

The biggest problem I have is its propensity to unschedule recordings if it has a problem with a particular station.

Are you connected via HDMI? Does it hang during loading if you set it up for component or composite output. Just a wild guess!

Paul
post #3433 of 3448 Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

dornanu---

My guess about the source of the hang during Loading... is that you need to run the internal HDD check disk diagnostic.
post #3434 of 3448 Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks all.

Just reporting back my experiences so far. In short, I've settled on version 1.3.147 from riwi's site. Thanks for keeping all those versions online. I like this one also because the font is bigger and most importantly it records..

Mr.H: I'm connected to my NTSC tv via the RCA audio/video outputs. I tried badeip_m-6x00_1.5.17-seres_unlocked_nobdtrail_r2.zip and it didn't lock up on "boot to record" but it didn't record.

TPeterson: Early on one of the crashes did corrupt the drive but I did attach a Windows 7 PC to do the checkdisk but that didn't fix the "boot to record" problem.

Other observations:

It's much pickier than newer devices (6620N, PBO core) about playback. Some channels which can be watched live or recorded can't be played back (just show black but can hear the audio). Some shows can't be skipped forward or fast-forward. I know that different shows from the same channel may have different encoding. Of course, I can watch these files fine on the other devices. Also if the TV reception was weak when recording, playback of that file can crash the box in some very negative ways. Usually after this occurrence, it will fail the recognize the TV card. Unplugging sometimes works but not always. Just rebooting until it's happy again.

This particular firmware seems to do a full reboot (saves, then takes almost a minute) to switch from TV watching to Video mode. Not a major problem except for the delay. I do like that it saves. Often with the 6620N after programming recordings, I power it off to force it to save because in the (semi) rare times it crashes, I'll lose those program changes.

However, it's not my primary viewing setup. So I can record a third show when the main box is already set to record two other shows. Additionally, the Qubo crash of the 6620N doesn't happen on the M6500A. I get that problem on TVO (TV Ontario) in my area at certain times of the day so I can use this box to record it. I've found that the two boxes (6620N and M6500A), with static IPs, and configured to find each other works pretty good. Bookmarked shows works just like you wish...ok let's not get out of hand, you can't transfer the bookmark from one to the other wink.gif.

All in all I'm happy. I'll report back any other results if I continue to experiment.

Dornanu
post #3435 of 3448 Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dornanu, I wasn't talking about Windows chkdsk, but rather the TVIX' own diagnostic. I'm not sure, but I think the later will fix problems that the former doesn't see.
post #3436 of 3448 Old 08-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Unlike the 6620N the M6500A firmware does not seem to have built in chkdsk, To confirm, the manual says to hook it up to a PC to do it and the firmware then asks if you did the check disk.
post #3437 of 3448 Old 09-12-2012, 06:24 AM

hello to all.
I just upgraded my tvix 6500 to the firmware 1.5.19 and I lost the connections to UBS drives and the network ! mad.gif
I only get the internal drive to play.
what should I do ??
thanks
post #3438 of 3448 Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM

(At least some) M4V and F4V files play on my M6500A if I change their extension to .mp4
post #3439 of 3448 Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM

Recently the fan became loud enough to be distracting.

Is it possible to replace the fan, or perhaps service/oil it? (I don't wanna disable it, the hard drives in these units are already hotter than is ideal with the fan.) I'm too broke to replace this trusty unit.
post #3440 of 3448 Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM

yes, im running my tvix with a bigger fan that i took from a computer tower cpu, i had to cut a hole on the side to make it fit.although it sticks more outside but keeps the tvix cooler. I followed the tutorial someone posted online quite some years ago, but i can't seem to find it right now. i guess you can go to mpcclub forum and search for fan mod. 

here are instructions how to dessemble tvix.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/downloads/dvico_m4100_detachment.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote2 View Post

Recently the fan became loud enough to be distracting.

Is it possible to replace the fan, or perhaps service/oil it? (I don't wanna disable it, the hard drives in these units are already hotter than is ideal with the fan.) I'm too broke to replace this trusty unit.
post #3441 of 3448 Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

yes, im running my tvix with a bigger fan that i took from a computer tower cpu, i had to cut a hole on the side to make it fit.although it sticks more outside but keeps the tvix cooler. I followed the tutorial someone posted online quite some years ago, but i can't seem to find it right now. i guess you can go to mpcclub forum and search for fan mod. 
here are instructions how to dessemble tvix.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/downloads/dvico_m4100_detachment.pdf
Thank you very much for your reply, goodoldman5!

First allow me to jump to the end of the story: I blew air through the fan and heard it whine loudly. I removed the HDD and blew air through that side too; fan whined again.

Then I moistened a Q-tip (cotton swab) with isopropyl alcohol, and cleaned the fan blades. To my astonishment, the fan doesn't whine anymore. It's so quiet I haven't heard it at all yet.

Easiest fix ever. Thankfully, because even with that nice pdf on disassembly, and with several threads I found at MPCCLUB forum (using google, couldn't find a thing with that site's own search)
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15660
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18164
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14114
it seemed like replacing the fan might not be as quick and easy as I hoped. Particularly since most of the good photo explanations linked to no longer were online.

Here's one of the photos of one mod: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3157/2654524970_0386013744.jpg
post #3442 of 3448 Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM

hi

i got given a Dvico tvix m-6500a i when to turn it on and it would not turn on at all i check all the cables inside and it looked normal i was told that the power suppy is dead can you replace the power suppy or is it a easy fix it has been sitting in the same place for 4 year and when to use it and it was dead plz help
post #3443 of 3448 Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM

DVICO M6500A UNIT
I just upgraded my WD20EARS 2.0TB HDD to the WD4001FAEX 4.0TB HDD.
Ran a format at NTFS, 4096 bytes per sector - and the unit isn't reading the drive.
I did notice that the ampage is slightly different b/w the drives... could this be the reason?
... or maybe I have the force the 6500A to run the format?
Anyone know of any known issues?

Appreciate any help guys,
Thanks ;o)
post #3444 of 3448 Old 10-06-2013, 04:18 AM

Hi people,

Is there any good substitute for the software Tvixie (artwork for the movies), to use with my Dvico 6500 ?
Tvixie just stop getting the covers and I believe the software desn´t have any support now...
Thanks a lot
post #3445 of 3448 Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Hi,

I have a Tvix6500 and today had a problem on an external HD. Let me explain...

For a couple of year I used an external WD MyBook 1TB, it works fine. but the USB plug was very bad and yesterday it brokes.

So I disassembled the MyBook extracting the enclosed HD, a WD Caviar Green, put it on a new case, then I formatted it in NTFS with Tuxera (I'm on Mac) and started to copy back my files.

When I connected the HD to my Tvix, I can see the files and folders, but I can't play any files. I've tried mkv but the system skipped and comes back to the list, and AVI and MP4 files resulting in a "This file is not supported. File is corrupted or not supported format"

All the files are perfect, I've played them until yesterday (you know, cartoons for the kids), I see and play them from the disc when connected to my Mac, and I've tried to copy one of them to the tvix internal hd and it starts without any problem.

For some kind of reasons in the past I've formatted the WD MyBook at least twice before today, and I never had any problem, simply plug in to the Tvix and it works always fine.

Hope someone can helps, thank you in advance, bye!

post #3446 of 3448 Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Astarte, it sounds as though your new HDD enclosure is somehow incompatible with the TViX. I have no idea what could cause that, but I suggest that you try connecting the HDD to the TViX either by putting it inside the TViX or by using another USB adapter and see if that works. Otherwise, you could try formatting the HDD with the TViX in the current enclosure (IIRC, the M6500 does support HDD formatting itself) but that is likely to take a long time and I'm not optimistic that it would work better than the formatting you've already done.
post #3447 of 3448 Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Liked: 13
Wow!! Can you believe it? The old TViX thread!
I have a 3000, 4000 and a 6500 and they still work! Except my flagship 6500 network (NIC) port died. Really really bummed me out because I was using the NIC for streaming my content. Oh well. It was a great ride and great hardware in its' time.

Hey looky there-> TPeterson is here!-> Thank you Sir. Thank you for the many years of helping all the Tvix owners.

Cheers!

*My ever so smart GF has done & did an edit to my signature... now using other ways of concealing my passwords*
post #3448 of 3448 Old 04-11-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

Astarte, it sounds as though your new HDD enclosure is somehow incompatible with the TViX. I have no idea what could cause that, but I suggest that you try connecting the HDD to the TViX either by putting it inside the TViX or by using another USB adapter and see if that works. Otherwise, you could try formatting the HDD with the TViX in the current enclosure (IIRC, the M6500 does support HDD formatting itself) but that is likely to take a long time and I'm not optimistic that it would work better than the formatting you've already done.

Hi TPeterson,

thank you for your answer. Yes, I've to try another case in order to understand if there is a sort of incompatibility in mine.

But I've some update on my instance!

The internal HDD have a little board connected, as you can see in this picture I've found on web. It's the one on the right of the photo, and you can see also a detached USB port, as in mine.

This board connects to the sata port of the internal disc and provides the power plug and the USB interface. Probably it done most.

When days ago I disassembled my disk, removed this board and try to connect it to my Mac, it asks to be formatted... I've lost everything inside. Dont' panic, I have everything backupped.

I was prepared, I've read somewhere about data encryption on WD disks.

Yesterday I've reconnected this board to the disk, fixing with some rubber band the USB port, formatted again the HD (data encryption, as usual), copied some MKV and AVI files, connected the disk with the board to the TViX and… Everything works fine!!!

So, two possibilities.

1) My case, as suggested by TPeterson have a sort of incompatibility

or

2) The disk needs the board in order to play files correctly on TViX.

I'm not sure number 2 is right, if it can't works connected to TViX it shouldn't works connected to Macs also, but it done. I don't have another case, but I have a Seagate Barracuda dying on my table. It detects a smart error 1 or 2 weeks ago but I think it can be useful for the test. I'll try to format in NTFS and connect it to the TViX using my case.

Probably I will do this in the weekend, I will keep you updated.

Thank you again bye!

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page