Klegg MediaShare thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm starting a thread on Klegg MediaShare media server. This unit is, or will soon be available at brick and mortar electronics stores. The website http://www.kleggusa.com/product_mediashare.html doesn't list much details, and there is virtually no information about it on the internet. I have purchased one a couple of days ago at local Fry's, and this is what I found so far:

It uses Sigma 8621 chip. It has the following outputs:

Video: DVI, component, composite, S-video.
Audio: SPDIF optical and coax, 2 channel stereo, 5.1 channel.
USB: Device and Host.
LAN: Wired 10/100Mbps RJ45 and Wireless 54 Mbps .11g
Internal HDD (HDD not included): SATA
The drive uses NDAS, which is supposedly faster when acessing the drive through the wired LAN.

Comes with a power adapted, remote with batteries, component cables, composite/stereo cables, USB cable, manual and installation CD.

I've tested the following formats without a hard drive installed, the media was streaming through my D-Link DI-524 g router:
- ISO - plays but playback is choppy.
- TS - plays, also choppy.
- DiVX, XviD - plays fine.
- H.264 - downloaded a sample from the internet, the audio plays but no video, I guess 8621 has no support for H.264.

I tried setting up a media server (Win Media Player 11 or TVersity) on my desktop and use it to stream internet TV and re-coded H.264 mpegs, however the MediaShare device doesn't show up in WMP 11, and I couldn't get TVersity to work with it either.

DG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM

A lot of this functionality can be had with a $40 hard-wired Netdisk Enclosure, a spare IDE HD, and a DivX-enabled DVD player with USB port.
post #3 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, if you don't care about HD streams. DVD player is not a HD device. Although it may upconvert to 720p or 1080i, it cannot stream HD content. HD is the key here.
post #4 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 02:19 PM

It would be interesting to see how it performs with it's own hard drive. I'll pick one up this afternoon and play with it. It is a pretty cool idea and at $129 at Fry's, might make a decent cheap media server... I don't know much about Klegg and their website looks like something that was created in about two hours. Was the documentation any good?

Just my 2 cents, and in this economy, it's worth even less...
post #5 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Well, I just bought one, so now there are two of us with the 30-day window to see what these can do. I hope others join us.

I will open it up tonight to see how it can solve my general requirements.

BTW, I plan to connect using our gigabit Ethernet network. It will sit beside a Hauppauge MediaMVP that serves us well for a limited range of applications.

Regards,
Cogito
post #6 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM

I was looking at this at Fry's and was wondering what the user interface was like. Could you describe if for me and perhaps add some screenshots? It would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
post #7 of 309 Old 02-01-2008, 06:53 PM

You mean there are DVD players that can access a USB external drive?!?!? Tell me more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

A lot of this functionality can be had with a $40 hard-wired Netdisk Enclosure, a spare IDE HD, and a DivX-enabled DVD player with USB port.

post #8 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 AM

Philips makes some nice USB-enabled DVD/DivX players (e.g. 5960,5982) which can be used with many USB disk/thumb drives to play a wide variety of multimedia files, especially DivX/Xvid content.
post #9 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Hmmm. Got this hooked up and am stumped.

Got it hooked up HDMI-DVI, and the picture looks good. UI has several options:

EXPLORE: movie, music, photo, USB, USB, network.

When I explore the network, I see a couple PCs and a few folders in each, but when I navigate from one to another, the file list does not change on several. I can see the folders on one PC from the other, but not with this. Maybe I have to tweak permissions. I hit REFRESH, but it still displays bad directory info. This is with the USB cable unplugged, of course, otherwise the network would not be visible, according to the manual (and experience).

One PC is WIN VISTA HOME PREMIUM, one XP PRO. I can open files in several folders, but find that some files open OK, and it will not open others, saying bad file type. One .asf file worked, another would not. For some reason, it will not display a .dvr-ms file that was recorded in Media Center.

Honestly, I have not fooled around with video files too much in awhile, so am not up-to-date on all the CODECs and types of mpegs, etc. Most of these files play OK across our LAN on all the PCs. The Klegg unit does not play numerous files.

So far, I am unimpressed. It would not play a file I downloaded using DVArchive from my ReplayTV 50XX that plays perfectly using Windows MediaPlayer.

I will fool around more later...want to take advantage of this beautiful Southern California day.

Big question is why won't it display directories from other computers on the network properly (shared folder looks OK, as do the MUSIC, MOVIE, and PICTURES folders I added to the hard drive I installed in the Klegg unit).

I have not installed any of the SW that came on the CD. Maybe that is part of the problem??? but I would not think so.

I do so hat VISTA's permissions stuff, but the XP folders should be shared right.

General comments before signing off:
1. Nice little unit. Looks good. If it did what I want, it would be a keeper.
2. Crummy manual, but workable if you know what you are doing.
3. So far, just using it on a wired network and, except for the folders not displaying what is in them, no problems.
4. Setup was easy so far.
5. Quick boot time.
6. I have not tried any HD material yet, as it will not do my ReplayTVHD files (from beta version), nor will it playback the .dvr-ms files

Any comments?

Regards,
Cogito
post #10 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Can this device display file names in non-English character sets, like Unicode UTF-8?
post #11 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitovici View Post

Hmmm. Got this hooked up and am stumped.

Got it hooked up HDMI-DVI, and the picture looks good. UI has several options:

EXPLORE: movie, music, photo, USB, USB, network.

When I explore the network, I see a couple PCs and a few folders in each, but when I navigate from one to another, the file list does not change on several. I can see the folders on one PC from the other, but not with this. Maybe I have to tweak permissions. I hit REFRESH, but it still displays bad directory info. This is with the USB cable unplugged, of course, otherwise the network would not be visible, according to the manual (and experience).

One PC is WIN VISTA HOME PREMIUM, one XP PRO. I can open files in several folders, but find that some files open OK, and it will not open others, saying bad file type. One .asf file worked, another would not. For some reason, it will not display a .dvr-ms file that was recorded in Media Center.

Honestly, I have not fooled around with video files too much in awhile, so am not up-to-date on all the CODECs and types of mpegs, etc. Most of these files play OK across our LAN on all the PCs. The Klegg unit does not play numerous files.

So far, I am unimpressed. It would not play a file I downloaded using DVArchive from my ReplayTV 50XX that plays perfectly using Windows MediaPlayer.

I will fool around more later...want to take advantage of this beautiful Southern California day.

Big question is why won't it display directories from other computers on the network properly (shared folder looks OK, as do the MUSIC, MOVIE, and PICTURES folders I added to the hard drive I installed in the Klegg unit).

I have not installed any of the SW that came on the CD. Maybe that is part of the problem??? but I would not think so.

I do so hat VISTA's permissions stuff, but the XP folders should be shared right.

General comments before signing off:
3. So far, just using it on a wired network and, except for the folders not displaying what is in them, no problems.
5. Quick boot time.
6. I have not tried any HD material yet, as it will not do my ReplayTVHD files (from beta version), nor will it playback the .dvr-ms files

Any comments?

Regards,
Cogito

Not by my standards - "Chinese"-manufactured look with poor fit and finish, fine scratches all over the enclosure, and burr marks on case edges.

Agree completely. For $190 (originally), Klegg didn't even bother to have someone proficient in English transliterate.

Same frustrations, wired or wireless, despite all sorts of tweaks. I like NDAS and it works fine. Wireless G transfer rates are awful.

5. Quick boot time.

Agree.

Haven't tried HD/Replay, but at least mp3's and DivX/Xvid files play fine.
post #12 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 02:54 PM

I just passed one of these in Fry's. If it works it will be a great deal. But my requirement is support for the Windows Media Advanced codec for HD files.

Any of you guys that have one goto www.wmvhd.com and download a 1080 and 720 sample to see if it works please!!

I have a feeling even though it can support those resolutions it may not be able to support the high bitrates during playback. I transcode WMVA/WVC1 720P movies at 8MBPS and 12MBS for 1080P.

I was planning to buy a Xbox 360 for the one TV I don't have a HTPC on but this unit would be half the price and support DIVX.

~DC
post #13 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Done. Both ROBITICA720 and SPEED1080 worked fine when I copied them to the hard drive installed in the Klegg. Both ROBOTICA1080 and SPEED1080 choked a bit running acoss the network, but the workstation they were on was doing other things too.
post #14 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Anyone else find the fan unusually noisy?
post #15 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 PM

I was looking at the manual for the Linksys 2100/2200. Both appear to be able to play files from Windows Vista Premium, but the specs do not mention .dvr-ms files. Are they referred to by another name too?

If I can't play those files with this thing, I would look at that as a major failure of this device. I know that many don't like these MS-proprietary files (if I am right about that), but they are what gets generated by Vista Media Center. If you are using a PC to record those, and this extender will not play them in the other room, what is the point? My Hauppauge MediaMVP could play 95% of what I threw at it. Since I just started fooling around with Vista, I will have to see if it too fails to play them.

I do not want to have to waste time converting files just for this.

Also, once it looks at a folder and you navigate to a different folder, it keeps displaying the contents of the first folder, and will not refresh to display contents of the next folder. Maybe it needs an update.

I will try contacting Klegg about this and the dvr-ms issue.

Regards,
Cogito
post #16 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 PM

Yes it is. Right now it is sitting just 3 feet away from me. I wonder how it would be while watching TV with it a dozen feet away.

BTW, you are kinda right about the rough edges on the case. I hadn't noticed, and would not from a few feet away though.
post #17 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 PM

I picked up one at Fry's today for $129. Got it home and plugged it in and connected to my cheapo 720P LCD and connected to network (no internal disk). It immediately found my Linux samba server where all video, pictures, and music resides.

I started with my DVD collection and started Alien v Predator (widescreen) which was ripped from DVD using DVD Shrink. Played great at 720P and 1080i over wired network from the IFO file. I then turned to my Nero Recode MP4 files, which also played without a problem.

I have been using 2 DSM-320s for the last two years. I am glad to finally see that someone is getting things right with the firmware. Having been using the DSM-320s I have a good point of reference for media playback.
Here's my feelings about the Klegg Mediashare when compared to the DSM-320:

Pros:
(+) Remote works great and response is great. Buttons actually work like a real remote (DSM remote sucks).
(+) Plays IFO files and treats it like a real DVD.
(+) FF/Rewind, Prev/Next chapter all work.
(+) Upscaling looks great.
(+) Abiltiy to set brightness and contrast.
(+) JPEG display is sharp/crisp.
(+) Don't need uPnP server running (I have used Twonky for the DSM)

Cons:
(-) Blanks screen between picture display
(-) Fan is very noisy. It is actually louder than my 3TB Linus file server with four disks in it. This is not a big deal since with a video playing you won't hear it. I am not sure it even needs it unless there is a HDD installed.
(-) Navigating the shares is kind of painful. That is where the uPnP server came in handy searching and sorting the playable files in the shared directories so you only see the types of files the player can play.

Untested:
1) Playing ISO files. (I am going to love this)
2) SATA HDD Storage. (hoping this means that it can handle the current 1TB drives from Seagate, Hitachi, and Western Digital)
3) 5.1 Digital Audio outputs.
4) 1080P resolution (looking at Samsung 61" LED DLP)
5) All the other video/audio formats that I don't have.
6) Wireless (although I never had any success watching video over wireless so I won't ever do anything but wired).

Summary
I was seriously taking a chance buying this from Fry's since it is basically an unknown product with what appears to be no support on their website (FAQ, FW downloads, etc.). Maybe I am jaded by how bad the DSM-320 is, but for half the price from 2 years ago it is at least twice as good. At $129 this is a great buy. I will keep the one I have and sell one of my DSM-320s to help defer the cost and probably get another one for my son so when he goes off to school next year he can take his favorite movies with him.
post #18 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Done. Both ROBITICA720 and SPEED1080 worked fine when I copied them to the hard drive installed in the Klegg. Both ROBOTICA1080 and SPEED1080 choked a bit running acoss the network, but the workstation they were on was doing other things too.

NICE

But tell me one thing. This device doesn't require media player running on another pc to deliver the media right? It finds shares and pulls off the storage, PC or NAS right?

The speed 1080P clip is not full 1080P, its 1440 X 1080. I'll get a full sample posted for testing. I'm going to pick one of these up tomorrow and have a ton of media I can test. If it can't play 1080p over my 100MBit network it goes back.
post #19 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post

I picked up one at Fry's today for $129. Got it home and plugged it in and connected to my cheapo 720P LCD and connected to network (no internal disk). It immediately found my Linux samba server where all video, pictures, and music resides.

I started with my DVD collection and started Alien v Predator (widescreen) which was ripped from DVD using DVD Shrink. Played great at 720P and 1080i over wired network from the IFO file. I then turned to my Nero Recode MP4 files, which also played without a problem.

I have been using 2 DSM-320s for the last two years. I am glad to finally see that someone is getting things right with the firmware. Having been using the DSM-320s I have a good point of reference for media playback.
Here's my feelings about the Klegg Mediashare when compared to the DSM-320:

Pros:
(+) Remote works great and response is great. Buttons actually work like a real remote (DSM remote sucks).
(+) Plays IFO files and treats it like a real DVD.
(+) FF/Rewind, Prev/Next chapter all work.
(+) Upscaling looks great.
(+) Abiltiy to set brightness and contrast.
(+) JPEG display is sharp/crisp.
(+) Don't need uPnP server running (I have used Twonky for the DSM)

Cons:
(-) Blanks screen between picture display
(-) Fan is very noisy. It is actually louder than my 3TB Linus file server with four disks in it. This is not a big deal since with a video playing you won't hear it. I am not sure it even needs it unless there is a HDD installed.
(-) Navigating the shares is kind of painful. That is where the uPnP server came in handy searching and sorting the playable files in the shared directories so you only see the types of files the player can play.

Untested:
1) Playing ISO files. (I am going to love this)
2) SATA HDD Storage. (hoping this means that it can handle the current 1TB drives from Seagate, Hitachi, and Western Digital)
3) 5.1 Digital Audio outputs.
4) 1080P resolution (looking at Samsung 61" LED DLP)
5) All the other video/audio formats that I don't have.
6) Wireless (although I never had any success watching video over wireless so I won't ever do anything but wired).

Summary
I was seriously taking a chance buying this from Fry's since it is basically an unknown product with what appears to be no support on their website (FAQ, FW downloads, etc.). Maybe I am jaded by how bad the DSM-320 is, but for half the price from 2 years ago it is at least twice as good. At $129 this is a great buy. I will keep the one I have and sell one of my DSM-320s to help defer the cost and probably get another one for my son so when he goes off to school next year he can take his favorite movies with him.

The Fry's in North County San Diego wants $189 ofr it. where are you?
post #20 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 PM

I am in Sacramento.

And yes, it sees any Windows or Samba shares. When I browse the network drives it shows all the computers on the network that have dhared folders. I just happen to be running samba on a homebrew 3TB Linux server from which I am sharing all my media.

I am even thinking about putting a 1TB drive in the Klegg and use it as my weekly Movie and Music backup target so I can use it as a portable player when we go on trips. The backups are automatic and don't have to be fast because I do incrementals overnight.

The more I think about it the better it looks.
post #21 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCake View Post

The Fry's in North County San Diego wants $189 ofr it. where are you?

It was in Friday's (2/1/08) Union-Trib ad on Page 3, top-half of the page...little picture looked like a wireless router:

#5393408 for $129.99

San Diego store had about 30 of them on the end-cap facing the front of the store just 30 feet away from that computer sales booth they have there. Ad says good thru 2/5/08, so go bust 'em and report your findings back here!

Enjoy,
Cogito

P.S. I did write to Klegg. Will report back on how they respond. I really want this thing to work, but so far, except for promised HD, it is similar to the Hauppauge MediaMVPs I got a couple years ago, but does not support all the filetypes the MVP seemed to process.
post #22 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Nope, it does browse other folders across the network without media player or Media Center running. I am just having problems viewing several folders that I have shared other than the SHARED files folder. I wrote to Klegg about it. I may be doing something stupid, but have many years experience as an "end user," often looked down upon as end users often are, but always listened to by our IT staff at work 'cause they know I know more than many of them do, if I can be so bold.

Files I placed into the SHARED folder on an XP PRO system were all ready to go, except for those that it could not play in the first place (from what I gather, like .dvr-ms files. It would also not work with .mov files, which our Minolta F-200 camera uses, nor would it play some .asf files, but it did play others. It did directly play ***** files which I believe came from my father-in-law's Casio, though he might have prepared them in some video editing program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCake View Post

NICE

But tell me one thing. This device doesn't require media player running on another pc to deliver the media right? It finds shares and pulls off the storage, PC or NAS right?

The speed 1080P clip is not full 1080P, its 1440 X 1080. I'll get a full sample posted for testing. I'm going to pick one of these up tomorrow and have a ton of media I can test. If it can't play 1080p over my 100MBit network it goes back.

post #23 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 PM

I just downloaded "The Magic of Flight" 720P demo from the WMV9 site to my NAS box. Worked beautifully. Played perfectly over my 100Mb Lan. And boy is it beautiful.

Oh, I left out a big (+) for the Klegg... It can be completely operated from the front panel buttons. So, if you take it somewhere and forget the remote or can't find it you are not dead in the water like almost all of the other HDD Media Players on the market.

I hope these guys develop a low cost model based on the Sigma 8623 so we can get the H.264 TS playing for under $200. I need the Blu-Ray Drives/Players to come down in price and I will be ready for HD.
post #24 of 309 Old 02-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Do you think I just might not be sharing folders right? It sees everything in the SHARED folder, but goes screwy with other "shared" folders. For example, when I look at a couple WIN XP PRO folders on Machine A form a WIn Vista Home Premium computer, I do have to enter USERNAME and PASSWORD. Sorry if I sound like a NUBE, but I still have not resolved all my Vista permissions issues. I have even considered paying for NETWORK MAGIC, which promises to make sharing EZ, but I would like to force myself to resolve this without using a utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post

I just downloaded "The Magic of Flight" 720P demo from the WMV9 site to my NAS box. Worked beautifully. Played perfectly over my 100Mb Lan. And boy is it beautiful.

Oh, I left out a big (+) for the Klegg... It can be completely operated from the front panel buttons. So, if you take it somewhere and forget the remote or can't find it you are not dead in the water like almost all of the other HDD Media Players on the market.

I hope these guys develop a low cost model based on the Sigma 8623 so we can get the H.264 TS playing for under $200. I need the Blu-Ray Drives/Players to come down in price and I will be ready for HD.

post #25 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 12:19 AM

Would anyone who's gotten this to see XP network shares be kind enough to walk the "network-challenged" through the proper set up and, if necessary, firewall tweaks?
post #26 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 11:27 AM

I also bought this thing, hoping to get into Media Serving a little bit. My uses for it may be different than others, so I explain that here. I mostly wanted something I could store my music media on, play the music as a jukebox through my stereo system, and act as a backup device for my network. Playing movies hasn't yet been a real need of mine, but it's nice to have that flexibility, as is display photos on the bigscreen.

I am using it wirelessly, and I bought and installed a 750gb 3.0gbs Seagate drive in it. I also installed the NDAS software that it came with, and so far it sees my XP file shares no problem. The guy at Fry's said "be sure to install the software on all PC's you want to use it with". I was actually surprised that he knew anything at all about it.

It seems to play movies well (I've only tried a couple), and the remote buttons and software work very well for movies. So far, I don't really like how it handles MP3 files. It shows everything as filenames, instead of using MP3 tags, so since my filenames are so long (artist+album+track#+trackname) it makes navigating the files slow and painful. Also, the Jukebox software that it comes with works strangely. So while it plays MP3's fine, it's handling of them and the remote and menus are all awkward (as opposed to how well it handles movies). I should also note that I am really only playing things on its internal HD, and not so much over the network so far.

I am also using it as a wireless backup server to receive incremental backups from my various PCs, and I'm pretty pleased about that, too, although it's not super speedy...

The Klegg website looks like something that was made one evening after dinner. No FAQ's, no firmware downloads, just a couple of email addresses for support. Kinda strange for a "publicly traded" technology company, regardless of how small it might be. I think the manual is pretty good for explaining how to install things, but pretty poor for how to use it. The broken English is obvious but I didn't find it problematic.

I will say that I am very impressed with how versatile this device can be. Using an internal hard drive, sharing across the network, and two USB ports for flash drives, etc. is nice. Playing movies, photos, and music as well as acting a as backup device is also cool, as is is large amount of AV output options. I use the digital coax out (and a high-end external DACs) and the music sounds very good with either wav's or high bitrate mp3's. I'm an audiofile, so I don't do well with iPods plugged into my system. Using the digital coax out, I'm happy with the sound for party music, and having USB ports on it means my friends can bring over a thumb drive with their music and we're good to go without connecting a cheap MP3 player's "headphone out" to my stereo system. I'd like the music playing software to get some attention with a firmware update, but so far, I can't see this $129 device going back to the store...

Just my 2 cents, and in this economy, it's worth even less...
post #27 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 PM

I doubt anyone will be able to help, but I haven't been able to get the Mediashare to recognize any shared folders/files on either of 2 networked PC's. The PC's themselves are recognized, but each shows the following error in the Event Viewer System Application:

"The server received an incorrectly formatted request.."
post #28 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:

It was in Friday's (2/1/08) Union-Trib ad on Page 3, top-half of the page...little picture looked like a wireless router:

#5393408 for $129.99

San Diego store had about 30 of them on the end-cap facing the front of the store just 30 feet away from that computer sales booth they have there. Ad says good thru 2/5/08, so go bust 'em and report your findings back here!

Enjoy,
Cogito

P.S. I did write to Klegg. Will report back on how they respond. I really want this thing to work, but so far, except for promised HD, it is similar to the Hauppauge MediaMVPs I got a couple years ago, but does not support all the filetypes the MVP seemed to process.

SWEET I'm heading out to pick up a couple. I'll try to post a tru 1080P sample today so that you guys can try. Anyone else havea 1080p TV?

~DV
post #29 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keephowlin View Post

I'd like the music playing software to get some attention with a firmware update, but so far, I can't see this $129 device going back to the store...

Well, my $129 device is probably going back.

I primarily bought this to play music from a Windows Home Server (WHS) box to my receiver. So, I've got no drive in the system, and just browsing across the network. I can see the files, but it is so painful to select files to play that I'll look for something else.
post #30 of 309 Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulallen View Post

Would anyone who's gotten this to see XP network shares be kind enough to walk the "network-challenged" through the proper set up and, if necessary, firewall tweaks?

It sees all the shared folders I have on XP Pro. Just right-click on a folder, select properties, and under Sharing tab in Network sharing and Security chekc Share this folder on the network. Then do a "refresh" on MediaShare and it will show up there.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page