post #1051 of 1057 Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I found an HDMI matrix switcher that is 1.3 deep color compliant:

http://www.firefold.com/4-x-4-HDMI-M...1841C492.aspx#

it looks like the Gefen that Robert used but there are differences like manual front panel controls and does not appear to have the HDMI connector locking feature

I have one coming in to test

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1057 Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkandlong View Post

SD means nothing to me, maybe 5%? (probably less) of my TV use is SD.

And Pioneer is out. Sure they're great sets but I don't have that amount of cash. Panny or Sammy are in the budget. I keep reading about how Sammy looks great after calibration but that basically bumps the price up closer to the Panny's MSRP making it more of a wash since I can basically just set the Z800 to THX and have great IQ.

Showed the wife a set of pics from a side-by-side comparison from another thread of the 650/Z800 and she preferred the sharpness of the Panny over the Colours of the Sammy.

Do you have a link to that thread of pictures comparing the 650 to the 800U? I'm also torn between these two sets...
post #1053 of 1057 Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #1054 of 1057 Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I found an HDMI matrix switcher that is 1.3 deep color compliant:

http://www.firefold.com/4-x-4-HDMI-M...1841C492.aspx#

it looks like the Gefen that Robert used but there are differences like manual front panel controls and does not appear to have the HDMI connector locking feature

I have one coming in to test

forgive me for bumping an old thread but....

I tested the matrix switcher from Firefold linked above: and returned it.

Even though the ad says 1.3 compliant the fine print in the spec sheet in the box says it works with HDMI 1.2 compatible devices: big difference

Further...the times to switch sources took a long, long time: this switch was a disappointment

more: Kevin Miller calibrated my new KURO 141: I have the same Gefen HDMI matrix switcher in my system: we confirmed the Gefen did not add any white level clipping or other issues to the video [although the issue of deep color support is still unknown: I doubt it supports it]

Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #1055 of 1057 Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was hesitant to chime in on this forum but I can no longer hold back after reading all the negative blows the organizers and guests of the shoot-out event have experienced.

I watched the video of the shoot-out from start to finish. Was it Pioneer biased? Perhaps. Was it skewed in favour of Pioneer by purposely not properly calibrating particular sets? I doubt it very much.

I currently own a 58" Panasonic, purchased about 14 months ago for a home theater set-up. I also own an LCD Samsung for our bedroom. Both are calibrated to their full potential. The Samsung cannot even come close to the Panny.

A co-worker of mine just purchased a 111FD which I viewed for the first time last week. This is an uncalibrated set using the "out of the box" settings with only a few hours on it. I can safely say that the 111 is superior to anything else I've seen even though it is still in an uncalibrated and new state. I was so impressed that I ordered a 151FD the very next day. However, part of that decision was due to the news that the 9G panel would be the last of the Pioneers as I was really hoping to wait for the 10G panel. So, if I wanted the best, now was the time to get it.

So, to those who are trying to convince themselves that their LCD's can magically be calibrated to compete with the 111/151, give your heads a shake. People who purchase a Pioneer don't purchase them to watch them in their bright sunny living rooms. (well, perhaps some do) Nor do they purchase them to watch SD TV....come on, this is a high performance HDTV. Get an old fashioned CRT if that's your desire. Get an LCD for your bright living room! If you watch daytime soaps, get an LCD. Try watching hockey on any LCD and not having a headache by the 3rd period. Those who purchase Pioneers are home theater enthusiasts who simply want the best for that environment. Are LCD's getting better? Sure they are. The LED backlit sets such as the 950 Sammy and the Sony XBR8 are now approaching or are at infinite black levels. However, they still have not mastered the shadow detail of Pioneers. Will they get it right? Probably, but until LCD manufacturers fix their off-axis viewing issues, they will not be able to compete fully with plasmas.

So let's not insult the organizers of the event because you are sour about the outcome. I dare say the Pioneers would have still come out on top if they were uncalibrated and each of the other sets were. They are simply better. Everyone knows it, so, come on get over it and go back to your bright living rooms and enjoy your LCD's.

Oh, I only counted 2 Pioneers in the shoot-out, so not only can't you admit what you see, you can't count either.

Whew! That feels better.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #1056 of 1057 Old 02-19-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Mark,

You just should have left sleeping dogs lay.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #1057 of 1057 Old 02-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

yup

we are done here

Great thread

Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page