Final decision - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am down to 2 choices for my first HD flat panel purchase, help me decide which is the better TV for me base on.

-Primarily used for watching Fios T.V. (sports programming) and occasional use for Wii and PS3 in the near future.
-It will be used in a room with many windows
-We will be viewing the T.V. from ~10'
-It will also occasionally be hooked up to my laptop via HDMI for some gaming.

My 2 choices are:

Samsung LN52A550
Samsung PN50a550

Both are priced around the same price and under $2k which is my limit. Please recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 PM

Sports and anything that moves fast will look much better on the Plasma; LCD will be slightly brighter and reflect less, but it's contrast and black levels will fall off if you aren't viewing from straight ahead.

LCD will not suffer from image retention if you leave a static PC display on for lengthy periods. Current plasma's are much better at this, but can still suffer IR if static images are left on the screen for long periods.

Both are close to same size so that's non-factor.

That's it in a nutshell, take your pick. Neither will be perfect for all your requirement, so pick your poison.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2008, 01:30 PM

I am in the same situation as this guy, its either one.

I'm waiting for some sales on July 4th (any info on BB, CC, Fry's deals yet??).

I will be watching a lot of Bluray, gaming maybe 10-15 hours a week.
This forum has been a godsend for me, but I still cant decide between plasma and lcd. I don't want a plasma phosphor lag ruining my MGS4 experience, but I also am concerned with backlighting and view angle issues with lcd.

Being that this is a forum, how much of the concern about IR and Burn in are just forum goon emotions? If I play metal gear for a couple hours, am I going to be watching a whole bluray with the metal gear hud?

It might be cool, but I'd rather not.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2008, 02:12 PM

This is one of the questions I have as well - on the 8G and 9G Plasmas (Been eying the 5020) how long until you get IR? I hear all kinds of stories, but I want a nice, professional answer.

I game more than I watch movies (and I don't even have cable or an antenna), and that fact alone is the only reason I'm considering a Sammy 650. If I play Metal Gear for say, three hours (not uncommon on a Sunday afternoon), will I get IR / Burn in?

Also, does adjusting the contrast help? I'm gaming now on an old Toshiba 40X81 (1080i RP set) and I've not had any burn in, but I keep the Contrast < 50% at all times.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave_jon View Post

This is one of the questions I have as well - on the 8G and 9G Plasmas (Been eying the 5020) how long until you get IR? I hear all kinds of stories, but I want a nice, professional answer.

I game more than I watch movies (and I don't even have cable or an antenna), and that fact alone is the only reason I'm considering a Sammy 650. If I play Metal Gear for say, three hours (not uncommon on a Sunday afternoon), will I get IR / Burn in?

Also, does adjusting the contrast help? I'm gaming now on an old Toshiba 40X81 (1080i RP set) and I've not had any burn in, but I keep the Contrast < 50% at all times.

If you're looking for a "nice, professional answer" you should probably visit a website that performs professional reviews such as CNET. I believe this forum is mainly matter of opinion. I use my 8G Pio like I did my 32" Hitachi CRT and I've not seen any signs of I/R yet alone burn-in. I did run everything in full screen except for a maybe a couple hours of gray bar programs each evening for the first 200 hours. After the first 200 hours it has been on it's own. Black bars, static images, paused DVD's for up to
45-60 minutes with no sign of I/R yet alone burn-in.

My question to you is, how can you possibly stare at a game for 3 hours
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM

to stare at a game paused? I don't think anyone would.

It's just static elements like the HUD that are present throughout playing the game.

Is anyone playing MGS4 on their PN50A550? How is it visually? (lag, green phosphor stuff, IR, etc, the usual)
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page