LCD of Plasma for Standard Definition??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a new HDTV, however, I'll be watching TV through over-the-air broadcasts for now. I do a decent amount of gaming as well, and will eventually be getting a blue ray player. For the moment though, it's just Standard Definition over-the-air signals, and standard definition DVD's, plus Xbox 360 and Wii. Which would be better? LCD or Plasma???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 11:53 AM

SD has nothing to do with the different techs, but the tv's video processor.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Well, actually most top tier plasmas will make sd look better than any non top of the line lcd. for example to get sd to look good on a sony lcd you have to get the xbr. ANY panny or sammy plasma sd will look good.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A year ago I would have said that Plasma would look better with SD, mainly because it was more like the CRT that we all grew up with. Now after watching allot of HD content and comparing it to SD, I will say that it doesn't matter. After you get used to HD, all SD on PDP or LCD looks blurry. Scalers will make a difference, but it is still SD.

BWDinc is correct that a Sony will make SD look better, but they do cost more for the privilege of having a XBR5,6,7,8 or what ever number they are up to now.

Games are a whole different story. What kinds of games? As an avid gamer, I have found that for allot of games (mainly RPG) Halo, Gears, Resident Evil, etc... that have dark backgrounds and dark scenes, you have to get a set that has good black detail. PDP would normally be better for this, but there are a few LCD sets out there that can do it. Remember that if you can't see the alien or zombie lurking in the dark you can't kill it before it kills you. As you can see this is my favorite type of game.

If you are playing allot of sports type games like EA Football, basketball, hockey, racing of any kind, etc... games with lots of light bright backgrounds, I would recommend LCD.

My 2 cents
post #5 of 5 Old 05-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

SD only looks good on high quality 13" to 40" Direct View CRTs, END of story.
SD can look ok if a flat panel has great image processing, scaling, etc, but an SD source will never reach its full potential on a flat panel at least till some of the newer technologies become more than vaporware.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page