Which produces more heat, CRT or plasma TV's? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 163 Old 07-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this thread because I just saw my latest power bill, which shows 41% more KWH used than for the same month last year. In December I purchased a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U plasma, Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR, and a PS3. In my 12x25 living room, which has two AC vents and a ceiling fan, after I have been watching tv or movies for five or six hours, the room becomes so warm that I have to point a portable fan from the back of the house, where it is considerably cooler, to blow that cooler air up to the living room in order to cool it down to a comfortable level!

As much as I love HDTV and Blu-Ray movies in 5.1 surround sound, I sure wish I knew what I was getting into beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 Old 07-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwits View Post

I found this thread because I just saw my latest power bill, which shows 41% more KWH used than for the same month last year. In December I purchased a Panasonic TH-50PZ800U plasma, Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR, and a PS3. In my 12x25 living room, which has two AC vents and a ceiling fan, after I have been watching tv or movies for five or six hours, the room becomes so warm that I have to point a portable fan from the back of the house, where it is considerably cooler, to blow that cooler air up to the living room in order to cool it down to a comfortable level!

As much as I love HDTV and Blu-Ray movies in 5.1 surround sound, I sure wish I knew what I was getting into beforehand.

Although the TV is likely contributing, Onkyo receivers and PS3's are known to run very warm and also cable boxes if you are running one. 41% seems rather excessive as what's your bill the prior month and last year and what was the temperature differences? What TV did the Panasonic replace and were the other components also added during the same time period?
post #153 of 163 Old 07-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Hmmmmmm interesting.....Lets see........per Onkyos own rateing the reciever is 660 watts, according to CNET calibrated display is 287 while out of box is 191. This should be quite a telling story in itself. Sure the Onlyo may not be constantly pumping out 66o watts yet the is what Onkyo is giving for the rating. The display is from CNET so it is give or take yet still half or better than the reciever. Interesting indeed I would say. PS3 from what I can see is between 140 and 200 depending on which version you have. Best I can find on cable box is between 25 and 30 watts. So again just putting a hand on something and saying it is warm is not a good indicator of how much heat is being dumped into the room. Chuck I would say your problem lies more in your A/C system delivering air to the wrong places more than your equipment.

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
post #154 of 163 Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Although the TV is likely contributing, Onkyo receivers and PS3's are known to run very warm and also cable boxes if you are running one. 41% seems rather excessive as what's your bill the prior month and last year and what was the temperature differences? What TV did the Panasonic replace and were the other components also added during the same time period?

The TV which was replaced by the Panny was a JVC 27" CRT. I do realize that the Onkyo and the PS3 both contribute significantly to the problem as well, which is why I made sure to include them in my post. As far as power consumption during previous months and temperature differences from this year to last, I have taken that into account. While the month of July happens to be 2 degrees warmer for overall high(average temperature) this year, there are other months where the opposite is true and the overall high is lower this year than last yet the amount of power used is greater this year than last.

As far as it being a problem with my AC equipment rather than the TV, etc., I simply cannot agree. The only variable is with the addition of the new electronic equipment, therefore it is the most likely cause.

In any event, I am thoroughly enjoying my TV, etc. (I hesitate to call it a "home theater" after seeing what some of the members here have) so the price of higher power bills is something I'll just have to absorb so I can continue to enjoy it.

Thanks for the responses, and happy viewing!
post #155 of 163 Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Temperature is not the only thing that will contribute to A/C running more. Humidity plays a huge part as well. This is why with the same design conditions for maintaining indoor air temperature a system in Arizona for instance where it gets very hot can need the same tonnage for say a place like NY where it doesn't get nearly as hot but much much more humid. There is always way too many variables to really be able to place any one factor as the cause for an increased electric bill. So while yes adding more electronics will raise it, there are many other factors that come in. This is why one really can just say x,y,z components are the reason for more electrical usage. Hope you continue to enjoy the setup!!

"Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
post #156 of 163 Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I replaced my refrigerator with a new one and my electric usage was consistently 33% lower (I don't have air conditioning).
post #157 of 163 Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

No A/C makes it a bit easier, however 33% from a fridge is huge! Must have been ancient!

post #158 of 163 Old 07-30-2009, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
AC is easily the biggest power user in my home in Maryland. We see a 150% or more increase in our electric bill from winter to summer. And we use a programmable thermostat, keep the temps "reasonable", etc. Our gas bill (heating, hot water, stove) is 5x higher in the winter than the summer. Hence my bewilderment at the concern people have about a 100-200W difference in power use by a TV affecting their bills. It's in the noise.

As for fridges, we just got a 26 cubic foot monster, yet it's yearly power consumption is only supposed to be $51! That seems quite miraculous.

jeff
post #159 of 163 Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

AC is easily the biggest power user in my home in Maryland. We see a 150% or more increase in our electric bill from winter to summer. And we use a programmable thermostat, keep the temps "reasonable", etc. Our gas bill (heating, hot water, stove) is 5x higher in the winter than the summer. Hence my bewilderment at the concern people have about a 100-200W difference in power use by a TV affecting their bills. It's in the noise.

As for fridges, we just got a 26 cubic foot monster, yet it's yearly power consumption is only supposed to be $51! That seems quite miraculous.

jeff

Similar story here in Iowa -- electric usage jumps dramatically during the summer, but is pretty reasonable the rest of the year; natural gas usage spikes during the winter, but is small the rest of the year. A few hundred watts of TV dissipation doesn't even register in my mind (I think more energy gets wasted by my wife leaving on lights in empty rooms -- a set of 4 65W flood bulbs uses about as much power as my projector!).

As far as the fridge energy rating goes, there's a catch -- if you want to attain that low energy usage, you're not allowed to open the door... ever.
post #160 of 163 Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

As far as the fridge energy rating goes, there's a catch -- if you want to attain that low energy usage, you're not allowed to open the door... ever.

Nice, so it's both an energy saving and diet plan!
post #161 of 163 Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbare View Post

Temperature is not the only thing that will contribute to A/C running more. Humidity plays a huge part as well. This is why with the same design conditions for maintaining indoor air temperature a system in Arizona for instance where it gets very hot can need the same tonnage for say a place like NY where it doesn't get nearly as hot but much much more humid. There is always way too many variables to really be able to place any one factor as the cause for an increased electric bill. So while yes adding more electronics will raise it, there are many other factors that come in. This is why one really can just say x,y,z components are the reason for more electrical usage. Hope you continue to enjoy the setup!!

I guess I should have made it clear that I've lived here for the past 12 years, and had a new heat pump (it's what we use in Fl. in place of AC/Furnace--just in case you hadn't heard of the term) installed four years ago...so all other factors are equal save the different electronics and the minor differences in temperature from this year to last. I actually did carefully consider everything before making my initial post.
post #162 of 163 Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwits View Post

I guess I should have made it clear that I've lived here for the past 12 years, and had a new heat pump (it's what we use in Fl. in place of AC/Furnace--just in case you hadn't heard of the term) installed four years ago...so all other factors are equal save the different electronics and the minor differences in temperature from this year to last. I actually did carefully consider everything before making my initial post.

Incase I didn't mention it A/C and energy savings are my business. So yes I am full well aware what a heat pump is thank you. Again temperature is not the only thing that will cause an A/C to run more.

post #163 of 163 Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 AM
VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6 View Post

What makes you think i've never felt the heat off a plasma set before?

You ain't the only one with experience and mine says visa versa.

Sorry I can't join your "elite" club now

Well I have to eat some crow here.....

I just got a Panny P50X1 for the family area and I'll be a monkeys uncle........
it runs incredibly cool.

As cool as any LCD i've felt.

Dang nice set.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page