Putting up first ever wall mount this weekend...things to beware of ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm putting up my monoprice mount (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback) & Sony KDL46Z4100 LCD this weekend.

I thought I would find a "do's and don'ts" thread here, but haven't come across it.

Any advice, or pointers to a thread I have missed, regarding putting up a wall mount for the first time?

I'm installing the TV in an alcove that is about 55" across, and 24" deep.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-22-2008, 09:05 AM

This may be obvious, but make sure you've located the studs where you are going to be mounting your TV.

For an LCD screen, you'll want to make sure you are drilling in to at least one stud to support the weight and ensure your TV is secure.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks...yeah, I went out and got some longer lag screws today (mount comes w/ 2 1/2, I got 4") and will be mounting to the studs as you note.

I guess maybe this is just a simple as it seems like it will be, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any gotchas or learnings from others that would be good to know in advance.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-22-2008, 09:35 PM

I hope you don't mind my butting into your thread...but I have the same question for installing a Peerless 670T mount for my new Pioneer Plasma 6020. I will be mounting it into a brick/stone fireplace. I know not to drill into the grout, but does anyone have a recommendation about the type/size of drill bit and bolt ? Thanks!
post #5 of 18 Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey - no thread pirates!! ;-)

Didn't your mount come w/hardware for mounting on brick? Mine came w/that....
post #6 of 18 Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM

PAT,
One piece of advice. You will save yourself a lot of time and energy if you purchase diamond-tipped masonry drill bits. I used regular masonry drill bits, which dull very easily when drilling into bricks. It took me a couple of hours, lots of energy and one very sore shoulder to drill 5 holes deep enough for the mount.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks cd.....arhggg sorry matie to dana!
post #8 of 18 Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK...about 24 hours away from the wall mount install.

This is your last chance to warn/help/scare me!
post #9 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Couple of "hints" that I picked up from reading my brains out before I mounted my 140 pound plasma on an articulating mount that must've weighed another 60 pounds. I've only ever done it that one time, but I found this to be helpful when I did it, so since you're asking, I pass it along.

First, it's critical to hit the center of the stud. Studfinders, by and large, are decent at finding the general location of the stud, but not perfect; same is true for the studs are 16" apart, so find one, measure 16", and find the other. Both of those methods may help you find the general location of the stud, but since it's important to be dead center, what I did (at the suggestion of others), was find the "general location" of the studs, then used finish nails to "feel" into the wall until I knew exactly where the outside edge of each stud was, then I drilled my hole right in the middle. Might've been overkill, but it was the only way I could be sure of where dead center was.

Second, make sure you drill a big enough (but not too big) hole for the lag screws/bolts; you don't want it to split the stud, but you also don't want the hole to be too big for obvious reasons.

Third, don't overtighten when you screw in the lags.

Fourth, the more studs the better. I got kind of lucky/unlucky. Unlucky in the sense that because of various mechanicals in the wall (ventilation, etc.), my studs weren't 16" apart on center; lucky in the sense that because of this, some of them were closer together than 16" (even though others were further apart) and I was able to mount to 3 studs rather than the suggested 2.

Fifth, draw it out on the wall EXACTLY where it's going to go before you start drilling. You're likely only going to get one crack at getting this in the "right" place, so it's critical to measure everything and know where everything will be.

Sixth, if you're going to do any in-wall wiring, know exactly where the boxes are going to go (and that the location "works" with what's inside the walls and where the TV will be); draw that out too (paint and spackle are cheap).

Seventh, line up the mounting holes on the back of the TV in relation to the holes for the lags on the wallplate for BOTH vertical and horizontal orientation (although horizontal orientation is probably less of a problem since you can probably fix it a bit by sliding the mounting bracket left to right on the wall plate), and make sure that you put the wallplate in the right place on both axes to make sure that the TV will be in the exact spot you want it at the end of the day. I made the mistake of misjudging this (even though I had measured repeatedly) and, consequently, my TV sits about an inch lower than I had intended for it to be (couldn't really adjust the mounting brackets vertically with my TV, but that's a different story). Fortunately, that was the only material mistake I made in my install, but I had planned for months and months.

These are all common sense things, but if you're like me and this isn't exactly your wheelhouse, it's important to keep them in mind.

Good luck!

--Mav
post #10 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent! Thanks very much for the summary. I always say that the second time I do something it's perfect...the first time, not so much. Getting feedback like this helps me have a virtual first run at it so I can minimize my "oops" moments.

One thing I realized I wasn't sure about this AM is what if the studs I have available are off-center from where I want the TV.

I assume I just have to mount where the studs are, and use the capability of the mount to adjust the position left/right to center the TV? I'm worried that if my studs are too far off-center that I won't be able to get my TV centered...
post #11 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

One thing I realized I wasn't sure about this AM is what if the studs I have available are off-center from where I want the TV.

I assume I just have to mount where the studs are, and use the capability of the mount to adjust the position left/right to center the TV? I'm worried that if my studs are too far off-center that I won't be able to get my TV centered...

Unless there's some miracle, there's very little chance that your studs will be in exactly the right place to have everything exactly centered, so you'll almost certainly have to go off-center in order to get the TV where you want it. This is why it's important to orient EVERYTHING first. You need to know the relative orientation of the studs, the wallplate, the bracket, and the TV's mounting holes; and you need to know that orientation BOTH laterally and veritcally. And, you need to know this before you start drilling so you know that when you get it all together, the TV will be in the "right" place. Don't start drilling until you know that for absolute certain. It's kinda like a puzzle...that you get to do once...study the pieces.

As for lateral adjustment, oftentimes, the mount's wallplate will allow for you to attach it off-center such that the center of the wallplate isn't smack dab in the center of the studs, but rather off to the right or the left, depending. Similarly, the point at which you hook the mount onto the wallplate can oftentimes be moved left or right of center. These two things can give you a good deal of flexibility laterally when dealing with a problematic stud configuration. Now, I wouldn't go attach my wallplate to two studs on the left-most side of the wallplate and then hang the mounting bracket on the far right side, but you get the idea.

I had a problematic stud issue. I wrote about it in a couple of places; including here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post12554625

and here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post11517091

Good luck!

--Mav
post #12 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool - that's exactly what I needed to know. I think that clears up my final question/concern at this point. Thanks very much!

So we'll be expecting you about 10:00 AM Saturday at our place for the LCD TV Wall Mount Party. All you have to bring is your experience, we'll provide the mount, TV, and general confusion.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

It is best NOT to drop the television when mounting it.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-25-2008, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Whitehead View Post

It is best NOT to drop the television when mounting it.

Clearly my wife has been speaking to you about my motor skills...
post #15 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

post #16 of 18 Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SUCCESS!!

OK, I need to relax, it isn't like I built a room addition or anything...

We spent a looooong time measuring (following the measure "28 times, drill once" mantra) and everything worked out perfectly.

The advice here was very useful in terms of avoiding simple errors and having a good sense of what to worry about (and what not to).

The mount is about 4" off center on the wall in the TV alcove, driven by where the studs are located, but the monoprice mount (it is so impressive - just a tank) allows me to simply adjust the arms so the TV is perfectly centered.

It did take us three tries to get the mounting arms the right height on the back of the TV to get the TV at exactly the height we (we=my wife) wanted so the TV would "look good." This aesthetic concern was not connected at all to getting the proper viewing height for the set. Luckily her "it looks good" height desires were in line w/proper viewing height, so like a good husband I attached and reattached the arms until she was happy. After all, it was her idea to get this TV in the first place, so she's a very good girl.

Thanks for all the help, and recommend the monoprice mounts to anyone!
post #17 of 18 Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post

SUCCESS!!

OK, I need to relax, it isn't like I built a room addition or anything...

We spent a looooong time measuring (following the measure "28 times, drill once" mantra) and everything worked out perfectly.

The advice here was very useful in terms of avoiding simple errors and having a good sense of what to worry about (and what not to).

The mount is about 4" off center on the wall in the TV alcove, driven by where the studs are located, but the monoprice mount (it is so impressive - just a tank) allows me to simply adjust the arms so the TV is perfectly centered.

It did take us three tries to get the mounting arms the right height on the back of the TV to get the TV at exactly the height we (we=my wife) wanted so the TV would "look good." This aesthetic concern was not connected at all to getting the proper viewing height for the set. Luckily her "it looks good" height desires were in line w/proper viewing height, so like a good husband I attached and reattached the arms until she was happy. After all, it was her idea to get this TV in the first place, so she's a very good girl.

Thanks for all the help, and recommend the monoprice mounts to anyone!

My monoprice mount will be in on Wednesday for my 50" Panasonic. How many different size screws come with the Monoprice mount to attach to the TV?

Tony
post #18 of 18 Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They provided at least three sizes/lengths, if I remember correctly, as well as spacers for curved back sets, if you need them. You should be fine with that.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page