Best Budget HDTV's ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-13-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Idiotcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, it's the classic bang for the buck question.
What do you recommend as the best PQ for the least dollars, LCD or Plasma.
Idiotcanuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Member
 
FallOutBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
50" 720p plasma seems to be a nice sweat spot atm imo. can get ether a sammy or panny for right around a grand.
FallOutBoy is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-20-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gus738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
panasonic or samsung gives you best for your money at a decent price

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831
gus738 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Newbie
 
drewmeister_sd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 720p Samsung 42" plasma last week for $750.

I'm quite happy with it.
drewmeister_sd is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Member
 
NewOldVinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you have to consider Toshiba too. Toshiba has a very good 42" 1080p LCD going for a very competitive street price. Don't overlook them.
NewOldVinyl is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Member
 
starrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotcanuck View Post

Yes, it's the classic bang for the buck question.
What do you recommend as the best PQ for the least dollars, LCD or Plasma.

Do you have any other parameters? E.G. What size interests you. How light is your room? What will be primary use of TV, i.e. Viewing HD, gaming. DVD watching. What is your signal source?
starrin is online now  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Idiotcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrin View Post

Do you have any other parameters? E.G. What size interests you. How light is your room? What will be primary use of TV, i.e. Viewing HD, gaming. DVD watching. What is your signal source?

Since cost is one of the primary considerations I'm looking at the 42" plasma's, even down to 40" for LCD's. The room is fairly light controlled and seating distance is between 8-10 feet, but changeable. TV use would be, rarely gaming, Regular DVD initially, and digital cable HD and SD.

I did look at the Tosh 530U and 540U LCD's and they did seem to be a value, especially the 540. But, I've been leaning more toward the plasmas, Samsung
PN42A450 and Panasonic Th-42PX80U, over the LCD's. Do those two fit my situation best? Any other recommendations?
Idiotcanuck is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Member
 
hoomook's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotcanuck View Post

Since cost is one of the primary considerations I'm looking at the 42" plasma's, even down to 40" for LCD's.


I didn't see any mention of a receiver and speakers in your setup so i'm just going to ass-u-me that you have them.

Since cost is your primary consideration have a look at panasonic's industrial/commercial displays. They're bare bones - no speakers or tuners. Since you have an hd stb and game consoles and still assuming you've got a sound system you dont need speakers or a tuner.
hoomook is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Idiotcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoomook View Post

I didn't see any mention of a receiver and speakers in your setup so i'm just going to ass-u-me that you have them.

Since cost is your primary consideration have a look at panasonic's industrial/commercial displays. They're bare bones - no speakers or tuners. Since you have an hd stb and game consoles and still assuming you've got a sound system you dont need speakers or a tuner.

I just use a stereo receiver and a pair of speakers w/12" woofers with the Tv for Bass and freq.augmentation, so yes that could work. Any recommendations on a model(s) to look at? I have never even seen the industrial/commercial displays.
Idiotcanuck is offline  
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off