Watching regular DVDs on a 1080p tv set - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a search for a pre-existing thread on this topic...but didn't find a recent one, so I'm going to pose a question I'm sure alot of newbies like myself have. The whole concept of "upscaling" confuses the heck out of me.

I'll just lay it out for you. I've got a 1080p tv, a PS3 blu-ray player, and I'm watching a regular DVD. Obviously my 1080p set will display whatever signal it receives at the tv's native resolution, 1080p. So does it even matter that I'm watching the DVD on my PS3 upscaling DVD player? Or is it the TV doing all the work? Or a combination of both?

You can change the display settings on your PS3 too...for example, if I change my HDMI video output resolution to 480i, will the picture look exactly the same? I do know the tv has quite a bit to do with upscaling....and even though I'm asking the question, in my opinion, I think its the TV that does most of the "work" in making the 480i signal look better or "upscaling" it...this is because when I watched regular DVDs on my ps3 on my sharp aquos (also 1080p), the picture didn't look half as good as it does on my new samsung. But there are just sooooo many combinations of settings and signals that you can pump into your 1080p tv....so I guess what I'm after is how do you optimize? Besides the obvious of having a blu-ray player. But say again, you're watching a regular DVD on your PS3, with 1080p tv. Does changing the PS3 settings to output at 1080p make a difference? How about changing the settings to 720p? Or again, leaving it at 480i? I can't notice a difference, which leads me to believe your tv has total control over how lower resolution signals end up appearing....whether its a dvd or regular SD cable tv.

So if my assumptions are correct, then why the heck are there "upscaling" dvd players out there on the market??? You buy an HD tv, your tv is going to display the picture at whatever resolution its capable of displaying at, ie upscale the picture automatically. does upscaling twice make a difference? does it make the PQ worse? ie if you're watching a regular DVD on an HDTV, should you have the DVD be input at its native resolution, so the signal isn't being converted twice?

And one last question....why do 1080p tvs list in their specs that they will display every single resolution out there? For example, you loook at specs, it will say "display formats supported" or "capable of displaying" and then list 480i, 720p, 768, 1080i, 1080p, etc. WHY??? Its obvious (isn't it?) that if your tv can display 1920 x 1080, ie a very high number of pixels, why WOULDNT it be able to do 1280 x 720? and so on?

I mean my point is this all confuses me....because the way I understand it, every HDTV is "backwards compatible" meaning it will display signals lower than its native resolution, simply by upscaling the signal to that resolution.

if anyone has time to answer even one of these questions, or can post a link to a good article that does the job, please do. I've read some articles and the ones I've found say pretty much what I just said...your TV does all the work, no need to toy around with settings on your PS3. But I really want to know if I should leave my PS3 set to 1080p output when watching regular DVDs or try to output at the native resolution of the source.

sorry for rant. But I will post some advice based on my experiences.....do some research on how a tv displays SD signals before you buy it. Not all of us have the HD dish network and a collection of 300 blu-rays, which means from time to time, you're going to watch things that are in SD format. Although I do avoid this at all costs haha. I have about 90 HD channels (actually free through my cable company, Optimum) and as they add channels, I find myself watching less and less SD content period. As the title of the thread suggests, the only time I really have to think about the issue is when watching regular DVDs....because I'm not replacing my entire DVD collection anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So if my assumptions are correct, then why the heck are there "upscaling" dvd players out there on the market??? You buy an HD tv, your tv is going to display the picture at whatever resolution its capable of displaying at, ie upscale the picture automatically. does upscaling twice make a difference? does it make the PQ worse? ie if you're watching a regular DVD on an HDTV, should you have the DVD be input at its native resolution, so the signal isn't being converted twice?

It all depends on which component has the better scaler. Between my Sammy tv and my Sony blu-ray player, the Sony wins hands-down. Technically it's being scaled twice since the player scales to 720 and the tv to 768, but the player is doing the bulk of the work rather than letting the tv do all of it.

If you don't notice a difference...then what's the problem? Just set it (to whatever) and forget it.

Quote:

And one last question....why do 1080p tvs list in their specs that they will display every single resolution out there? For example, you loook at specs, it will say "display formats supported" or "capable of displaying" and then list 480i, 720p, 768, 1080i, 1080p, etc. WHY??? Its obvious (isn't it?) that if your tv can display 1920 x 1080, ie a very high number of pixels, why WOULDNT it be able to do 1280 x 720? and so on?

Probably just a miswording of what inputs it will handle.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page