Please help me decide: Pioneer KURO PDP-5020FD or Samsung LN52A650? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After spending weeks researching flat screens I have narrowed it down to the KURO 5020 and the Sammy LN52A650 and for the life of me I can't decide. I will be mounting it to the wall in my bedroom which has draped windows along the left wall (blocks out a significant amount of the light). Viewing distance will be 6-8 ft with viewing angles of 0 - 30 degrees. Lights always off (viewing mostly during the day). No game play. Will be viewing sports, blue ray, but mostly HDTV.

From what I've read motion, picture and sound quality is better on the KURO, but its not as bright. The KURO also seems to have a small problem with inaccurate primary colors which can not be adjusted due to the lack of advanced controls (according to cnet). The Sammy doesn't seem to have this problem. I would also be giving up 2 inches of viewable space. Also, the KURO will cost me $347 more. Both seem to get stellar reviews but so far I've been unable to find anyone comparing the two.

I've never owned a plasma and currently have a Toshiba Regza 27" LCD in the bedroom (way too small) and a Marantz VPS4 DLP front projector in the home theater room. Horizontal panning bothers me on the DLP while jerkiness bothers me on the Toshiba while watching anything with fast motion.

I guess picture and motion quality are the most important aspects for me and I would be willing to pay the extra $347 if its worth it. Giving up 2" on the KURO is also bugging me.

Is there anything I'm not considering regarding these 2 units? Please help me decide.

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

hands down, the kuro
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

but what about the inaccurate primary colors that can not be adjusted? I can't stand flesh tones that are off (ie. people with red faces).
post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The flesh tones are good on the 5020, one thing though is the movie mode is desaturated and the other modes are useless. So no matter what you do with the color control the colors will never be as saturated as they should. I don't find the actual color of the TV that off (unless you like looking at graphs) but movie modes lack of full color saturation takes a bit getting used to, YMMV

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #5 of 7 Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

I guess the solution to the primary color problem and lack of advanced controls is to pony up to the elite 111FD?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post

I guess the solution to the primary color problem and lack of advanced controls is to pony up to the elite 111FD?

Yep. That was my dlima. I have decided that the Elite is going to be worth it for true accuracy. Make sure you are not sensative to Phosphor trails if you go the Plasma route.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi View Post

Yep. That was my dilema. I have decided that the Elite is going to be worth it for true accuracy. Make sure you are not sensative to Phosphor trails if you go the Plasma route.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page