Outdoor panel question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are building an outdoor patio this spring and the design allows for a flat screen panel above the fireplace area. Direct sunlight will not be a concern.

My primary concern is the heat and humidity typical for a Houston area summer. Is there a particular brand or type of flat panel display that would be better equipped than others for handling the temperature extremes. I am not too concerned about winter as it rarely falls below 25-30 degrees and never for an extended period of time.

I understand there is an "outdoor" LCD that is made but the cost seems a little excessive. Seems like it might be a better alternative to buy an inexpensive display and replace it as it wears out (if it is likely to last at least 2 years.)

Any help or insight on this is welcome. Btw, I read some old posts asking similar questions but they did not seem to have any answers.

Anyone have any personal experience with outdoor displays?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
As long as the patio is covered and rain and blowing dust don't get on the set, any set should work. LCDs tend to be brighter so they may appear to have a better picture outside.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 AM

Davjos, I'm in Austin and last August installed a three year old 42" Philips plasma to a covered cabana down by the water. I checked the operating specs for the plasma, high end was almost 105 degrees, low end 35 degrees, max humidity of 90%. Keep in mind that's operating limits, non-operating I'm sure are probably much broader and I didn't think I'd be outside watching TV at any of those operating extremes.

This cabana has a fireplace as well, and although I considered mounting the plasma above it, I decided not to because of possible heat and smoke issues. Outdoor fireplaces behave much differently than indoor ones.

So far it's survived nicely. The Philips Ambilight feature is especially cool outdoors. The only thing I've been thinking of is having a Sunbrella cover made to keep dust and mud-daubers out.

I say go for it.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Laketravis, what about the behavior of the outdoor fireplace should I be wary of in mounting the TV above the fireplace? The TV will be mounted in a recessed area and there will also be a fairly large wooden mantle between the TV and the fireplace would this reduce any concerns in having the TV over the fireplace?

I appreciate the help.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page