240hz, 120hz, 60hz Effect with Cable TV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 197
What percentage of 120Hz LCD owners would say if asked the question that 240Hz is unnecessary and will not be a visible improvement over 120hz?

Are Sony and other LCD manufacturers stupid for producing sets with 240 versus 120?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

What percentage of 120Hz LCD owners would say if asked the question that 240Hz is unnecessary and will not be a visible improvement over 120hz?

Are Sony and other LCD manufacturers stupid for producing sets with 240 versus 120?

I wouldn't say its stupid, I would just say its unnecessary. It may just be that the faster the frame rate, the better the Motion Interpolation, so maybe 240hz+ would be good for LCD's, but utterly unnecessary for anything else.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #33 of 38 Old 05-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

First question - is the TV ok for DVD or Blu-Ray? You may be just sensitive to LCD blur.

Mine is nowhere near that bad, in fact it's fine with AMP On, just a bit soap opera-like. But keep in mind the 750 is the same TV as the 650, so you might have better luck with a plasma.

My guess is it's a problem somewhere in Comcast's delivery, and they either won't fix it or don't know how. I'd get Verizon FIOS or DirectTV. Comcast is sucking anyway these days.

I actually do have some blurriness with my dvd(upsamples to 1080p), but not as much as with comcast cable. What is the normal output on a standard dvd player? When I had my old dvd player hooked up to another tv it looked fine. I'm wondering if I could set the dvd settings to output in the original settings and see if this would decrease the slight problems with watching a dvd.

ALSO, Is there such a thing as being sensitive to LCD Blur? What is it, can I change any settings to lessen the affects? Someone posted to turn down the brightness. Does this help, or are there any other samsung settings that will make it better (some of my settings are gamma(2), backlight(7), brightness(95), AMP (off). The problem is extremely apparent when watching programs that have text (espn scrolling scores, stats, headline news) or animated cartoons.

I am going to give comcast one more week while I try:
1) switching the hdmi cables to new ones
2) having the tv get connected to the main comcast input into the house (no splitters, only 1 barrel to attach the two cables
3) lowering the brightness (or any other setting)
post #34 of 38 Old 05-11-2009, 12:51 PM

The HDMI cable's that I have currently are below
post #35 of 38 Old 05-11-2009, 12:52 PM

I'm thinking of trying a new HDMI cable. The two that I currently use are below (1 for the comcast box to tv, and the other from dvd to tv):

http://www.amazon.com/ADVANCED-CONNE...2070355&sr=8-3

Are these any good or should I buy somthing else to test with?
post #36 of 38 Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurrysamsung View Post

I actually do have some blurriness with my dvd(upsamples to 1080p), but not as much as with comcast cable. What is the normal output on a standard dvd player? When I had my old dvd player hooked up to another tv it looked fine. I'm wondering if I could set the dvd settings to output in the original settings and see if this would decrease the slight problems with watching a dvd.

As mentioned on here earlier, Cable compression is awful and the PQ from High Def cable is going to be the worse you'll see on your TV. I have an LN40A530, which isn't a particularly great Samsung TV, but its still got a pretty darned good picture considering what I paid for it. When I watch DVD movies on my TV, they are gorgeous. I don't notice any blur during DVD movies unless I stand about 2 feet away from my tv. Back on my couch, which is about 9 or 10 feet away from my TV, I don't notice any blurring at all.
With cable (I'm with COX cable), it depends on the channel and the signal I'm getting. 480i blurs like crazy, as does HD channels coming in at 720p. 1080i channels only blur a little and I don't really notice it when I'm on my couch. Certain cable channels look fantastic, but only a few (CNN looks pretty good, Palladia and HDTheatre look awsome)

Quote:
ALSO, Is there such a thing as being sensitive to LCD Blur?

I'm sure there is. The main thing being if you have pretty good eyesight, you'll be able to notice it from further away than other people. The "sweet spot" for you (where you no longer notice blur and minor artifacts and the picture looks great without losing detail) may be further away from the tv than for others.

Quote:
What is it, can I change any settings to lessen the affects? Someone posted to turn down the brightness. Does this help, or are there any other samsung settings that will make it better (some of my settings are gamma(2), backlight(7), brightness(95), AMP (off). The problem is extremely apparent when watching programs that have text (espn scrolling scores, stats, headline news) or animated cartoons.

Here's what you should do:

If you can't afford to get your TV prof calibrated (or don't want to spend the cash) get yourself a cablibration disk like Digital Video Essentials on Blu Ray. Failing that, you can use the basic calibration settings that are found in some DVD's that come with THX certification. (the calibration can be found by highlighting the THX logo or in the Setup menu)

Once you get your TV PQ where its supposed to be, check it out and see if anything is bothering you. If you are still experiencing an unacceptable amount of blur (and you probably will) before playing with the brightness, play with the Sharpness setting. Turn it all the way down, then turn it all the way up and compare the picture quality at both settings. Then once you get your benchmarks, find the "sweet spot" for your sharpness setting. Once this is done, you may or may not have to adjust your brightness, but you should adjust it to your liking anyway.

About animated programming: Its odd that you see a lot of blur. I see TONS of blur on animated programing broadcast in 480i, but on the cartoon channels broadcast in 1080i, the animation is crisp with no blurring at all. I also own a lot of Anime and via my DVD player (480p, Playstation 2) I get no blurring with my animation and I watch the stuff all the time (between the anime and the kids movies my son watches)

Quote:
I am going to give comcast one more week while I try:
1) switching the hdmi cables to new ones

I don't think this is necessary. I don't believe it will have an effect on your blurr issue. as long as your HDMI cables are 1.3a, you should be fine.

Quote:
2) having the tv get connected to the main comcast input into the house (no splitters, only 1 barrel to attach the two cables

Now THIS might help. If you can eliminate anything between your connection, it could improve quality.

Quote:
3) lowering the brightness (or any other setting)

Calibrate, calibrate, calibrate. Especially pay attention to the sharpness as I said earlier. Also, your brightness setting is unusally high. Most people tend to have their closer to 50! I have my Dynamic mode set at 45, my Standard mode at 55 and my Movie mode at 50. (Dynamic is used for animation, Standard mode for watching TV and movie mode for watching DVD's)

post #37 of 38 Old 05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurrysamsung View Post

I'm thinking of trying a new HDMI cable. The two that I currently use are below (1 for the comcast box to tv, and the other from dvd to tv):

http://www.amazon.com/ADVANCED-CONNE...2070355&sr=8-3

Are these any good or should I buy somthing else to test with?

Those are the exact cables that I have. No problems with them so far.

post #38 of 38 Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 AM

This looks like the thread for my problem. I have the Panasonic G 42 plasma. I have Comcast as provider with new hdmi 1.3 hook up. I noticed a few days ago while watching HD sports on ESPN, TNT and Foxsports, a white "flashing" during the games. It looked like at first cameras going off in the crowd. I dont know if this is flickering or juddering or something else. I've only observed this during sports programs on those channels. It also occured on the standard def channels and other tv's in the house. I've only noticed it since I have had the new Panny. I haven't contacted Comcast yet, wanted to check this fine board if anyone has solution or has had similiar problem. Thanks in advance....
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page