post #91 of 385 Old 02-28-2009, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 View Post

Personally for the most part I prefer a plasma picture over an LCD.

Key word here is prefer.

It appears to me that a LCD owner or a plasma owner are trying to convince the OP to buy what he prefers.

It really doesn't matter what the OP decides on. Let him find out what he prefers.

The main issue would be whatever TV you buy that its a good working TV. Several times I've bought a TV and somethings wrong I don't like about it and wonder why I was TV shopping to start with.

These are just my opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 385 Old 02-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
heebdawg16,

Your logical choice is obvious:
A. Plasmas are susceptible to burn-in.
B. If you buy a plasma, you will worry about burn-in.
>Therefore, buy an LCD

That said, many new 2009 models are on the way to stores. Why not wait long enough to evaluate them?
Perhaps you won't have to settle for a temporary solution.
post #93 of 385 Old 02-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

Key word here is prefer.

It appears to me that a LCD owner or a plasma owner are trying to convince the OP to buy what he prefers.

It really doesn't matter what the OP decides on. Let him find out what he prefers.

The main issue would be whatever TV you buy that its a good working TV. Several times I've bought a TV and somethings wrong I don't like about it and wonder why I was TV shopping to start with.

Yes oldcband, I did use the would prefer cause that's what "I" prefer and the OP asked me why at times I wished I had purchased the 42" Pany instead so I answered him. Would you rather I not answer him? I'm not trying to convince him of anything as I have always advised people to make their own decisions through careful evaluation and with the controller in hand as there are many posts in my history with that advice.
post #94 of 385 Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM

As has been said in the early posts in this thread, AVS is the problem. But this forum also convinced me to give plasma a chance, and I couldn't be happier. I was originally set on getting the Visio 55", but my funds were available after the great rebate price ended. So, I'm now the proud owner of a Panny TH50PS85u, and very satisfied.
post #95 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geister View Post

heebdawg16,

A. Plasmas are susceptible to burn-in.
B. If you buy a plasma, you will worry about burn-in.
>Therefore, buy an LCD

That said, many new 2009 models are on the way to stores. Why not wait long enough to evaluate them?
Perhaps you won't have to settle for a temporary solution.

A. Cars are susceptible to crashing under abuse.
B. If you ride in a car, you will worry about crashing.
>Therefore, don't ride in Cars.
post #96 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 01:47 AM

i had pretty much the same feeling and went with an a550 in dec 2008

i now have buyers remorse, will probably sell it for a $300 loss and then buy one of the pany plasmas.

My main problem with the LCD was the flashlighting and I never realized how bad I hate motion blurring.
post #97 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

A. Cars are susceptible to crashing under abuse.
B. If you ride in a car, you will worry about crashing.
>Therefore, don't ride in Cars.

...please stop, you're making my sides hurt!
post #98 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband View Post

I'm living that right now.

Finally finished a year-long living room remodel. Small room, so the wife and I were looking forward to replacing an old, cloudy-looking, fridge-sized 55" Toshiba CRT RPTV with a new flatscreen. I've been ogling the Panasonic 50PX80U all year. Now that the paint's drying and we're ready, the PX80Us are all gone and have been replaced by the new P50X1, which I've seen and am disappointed by its dimmer (underpowered?) picture.

I can still get a PX80U if I buy it this week. So, before I retire the old cow to the basement (and encouraged by the RPTV threads), I had a go at cleaning it up. Took the screen off, cleaned the dirty CRT lenses, put it back together -- WOW! World-class color, good detail, and the blacks are back. Made me remember why I bought it seven years ago.

Didn't tell my wife. When she clicked it on, she said "WOW! Honey, I don't think we need a new TV -- put the money in the bank until this one breaks or something."

Plasma's going through an identity crisis right now. I hope Panasonic sorts it out. Maybe Samsung will fix their IR ("Don't call it Burn-in!") problems too. I'll check back next year.
post #99 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

I'm living that right now.

Finally finished a year-long living room remodel. Small room, so the wife and I were looking forward to ...

This is going to be completely off the subject but I can't resist it anymore: what's up with that new tumor - "the wife" - that started spreading around here. I am not picking on the poster, just wondering. Is it some form of macho psycho disconnect? I never heard this form used in any everyday conversation. It would be too weird not to notice.

To the best of my understanding, "the" is not interchangable with "my" as "my" conveys a sense of belonging and, in the case of a spouse, attachment. Like in: my wife, my kids and my dog. Or, the car I just bought became my car once I took it home. Occassionally we would ask "where are the kids?" rather than "where are my kids?" but only if the question is directed to another member of the family, not a stranger.

Bottom line: if you love her, don't refer to her as "the wife". Normally, even after a divorce, the normal form is: This is my ex.
post #100 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Geez -- all right, then: "my old lady."

Is that PC enough?
post #101 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Geez -- all right, then: "my old lady."

Is that PC enough?

It's OK PrimeTime. You write what you want, and dismiss those that nitpic and criticize for the sake of criticism. In fact, you may not be aware of this but you can actually use an "ignore" feature on these Forums. This may be a good time to use it.
post #102 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

So, before I retire the old cow to the basement (and encouraged by the RPTV threads), I had a go at cleaning it up. Took the screen off, cleaned the dirty CRT lenses, put it back together -- WOW! World-class color, good detail, and the blacks are back. Made me remember why I bought it seven years ago.

Didn't tell my wife. When she clicked it on, she said "WOW! Honey, I don't think we need a new TV -- put the money in the bank until this one breaks or something."

Don't feel too bad... I have a Kuro 50" and an old Pioneer Elite RPTV both in the same room. I still use the RP for my critical viewing and the Kuro is on videogame duty. RP was large and required a bit of maintenance to keep it focused, converged, and clean... but when cared for it does the job well.

If your RP display hasn't been calibrated you might really get some good out of that. I would bet your guns need a bit of a power bump and you can get it looking brand new again (or better than new).
post #103 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

It's OK PrimeTime. You write what you want, and dismiss those that nitpic and criticize for the sake of criticism. In fact, you may not be aware of this but you can actually use an "ignore" feature on these Forums. This may be a good time to use it.

I am just trying to be helpful.

PrimeTime chose to include his wife in his post. When he said "the wife" rather than "my wife" it wasn't immediately clear if he was referring to someone's wife or his own.

Cajieboy, am I on your ignore list?
post #104 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I currently own a Panny Z85 and a Sony W series
trying to decide which one to keep........I love both of them,the Sony has the wow effect and a real 3D look to it but the Panny has awesome color and just looks more natural.........kind of like looking out a window,plus I like sports and the motion handling is superior on the plasma, so I'm definitely leaning in that direction(well I may just keep both then I can sit right on the fence in the plasma vs lcd argument)
I already have a JVC HD-ILA set for my living room that I consider one of the best purchases I ever made
post #105 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Bottom line: if you love her, don't refer to her as "the wife". Normally, even after a divorce, the normal form is: This is my ex.

Get the hell outta this thread with your BS lecture. No one gives a rats ass what you think about marriage or how to refer to your significant other. If I wanted to talk about that I'd go to a marriage message board.
post #106 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well, does anyone know when the new Panny Plasma's are going to be introduced? How about the new Samsung LCDs?

What is expected to change/upgrade in the 09/10 models? Like I have said before, I can wait until the end of March if necessary...
post #107 of 385 Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebdawg16 View Post

Well, does anyone know when the new Panny Plasma's are going to be introduced? How about the new Samsung LCDs?

What is expected to change/upgrade in the 09/10 models? Like I have said before, I can wait until the end of March if necessary...

Here's a link for info and release dates.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

Gotta go, "the wife" is calling me, lol.
post #108 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you!!! So it looks like the G10 is going to be next years high end model? I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Hard to tell what changes there were, other than kicking the native contrast ratio up to 40000:1.

Any info on the new samsungs out there?
post #109 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Say Hi to her from me. Just curious how she would react if you introduced her at a party as "the wife". My guess is that her first question would be if a have a girlfriend on a side. This goes to show how important it is for us to watch those thes.
post #110 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Get the hell outta this thread with your BS lecture. No one gives a rats ass what you think about marriage or how to refer to your significant other. If I wanted to talk about that I'd go to a marriage message board.

Having a sense of humor is a virtue. Try it.
post #111 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Say Hi to her from me. Just curious how she would react if you introduced her at a party as "the wife". My guess is that her first question would be if a have a girlfriend on a side. This goes to show how important it is for us to watch those thes.

The wife is slang term used in Canada, and maybe elsewhere. This could be a case of America confused by Canadian "speak"
Not sure how it all started, but a large portion of Canadians use "the wife", and it has zero negative conotations here.

Lots of american phrases have me scratching my head as well.

I do agree on analysing the phase that it does seem slightly off base. Slang often is.
post #112 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

First, I don't see what the big deal a between THE and MY here. Some of you just need to lighten up, if this issue is bothering you enough to throw such a stink about it, I cant imagine how you get by on a day to day basis. Either get a sense of humor, learn to ignore it, or stay off of the Internet.

Secondly, let's stay on topic!
post #113 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:

The wife says hi back and I already told her about "the girlfriend".

Whether it's proper or not in your book, this is a forum for AV discussions and not a class on razamur's rules of etiquette.
post #114 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebdawg16 View Post

First, I don't see what the big deal a between THE and MY here. Some of you just need to lighten up, if this issue is bothering you enough to throw such a stink about it, I cant imagine how you get by on a day to day basis. Either get a sense of humor, learn to ignore it, or stay off of the Internet.

Secondly, let's stay on topic!

So I take it by some of your posts above that you haven't ruled out plasma and still considering it a viable option. My suggestion would be to decide on which TV looks best to you regardless of technology as you have read about some of the flaws in each technology. IMO the flaws are a minor issue of each technology and it all comes down to price, picture quality and features in my book.
post #115 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 08:24 AM

I think LCD is overall a superior display to PDP.

I think a set like the XBR8 and the Samsung A950's are the best displays, even over the Kuro Elites.

The better build quality, no burn-in, no IR, brighter, deeper blacks being achieved with today's top LCD's, makes them superior to the top plasma from Pioneer and Panasonic.

I'm out of work, just go laid off. So I can't justify the purchase of an A950, but if they where cheaper and If I was still working I might try to reach for one.
post #116 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I think LCD is overall a superior display to PDP.

I think a set like the XBR8 and the Samsung A950's are the best displays, even over the Kuro Elites.

The better build quality, no burn-in, no IR, brighter, deeper blacks being achieved with today's top LCD's, makes them superior to the top plasma from Pioneer and Panasonic.

I'm out of work, just go laid off. So I can't justify the purchase of an A950, but if they where cheaper and If I was still working I might try to reach for one.

You forget that LED LCDs can suffer from uneven wear, just like a plasma can. (local dimming + LED grid = potential for uneven wear of the backlight)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #117 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

You forget that LED LCDs can suffer from uneven wear, just like a plasma can. (local dimming + LED grid = potential for uneven wear of the backlight)

I didn't say LCD is perfect.

Dim picture, buzzing, burn-in worries is so yester year and passe'. I read post of people running break-in dvd's with there plasmas Come on folks, why should anyone be doing that today? Geez, its 2009.
post #118 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Dim picture, buzzing, burn-in worries is so yester year and passe'. I read post of people running break-in dvd's with there plasmas Come on folks, why should anyone be doing that today? Geez, its 2009.

I didn't run a break in on mine and I have no worries about burn in or IR and I don't have a 'dim' picture.

Sorry to hear about your job!
post #119 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

If you have burn-in worries with plasma, then you should avoid all LED LCDs, as they are more susceptible to it than most plasma sets on the market. (they just don't have IR to warn you of the potential problem) Dim picture isn't really an issue with the Kuro either, normal content in general is plenty bright (this surprised me after I saw how dim an all white screen was) No break-in here either. (I will give you the buzz part though, it is very annoying on my Kuro and is making me consider a return)

Why do we still have to worry about poor viewing angles and mura on LCDs, it is 2009 after all.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #120 of 385 Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

It's good if you want to rapidly put hours on your set because you're calibrating it. Beyond that, I don't really subscribe to the process as something that needs to be done, or even should be done.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page