Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Some of us don't limit ourselves to one technology.

Its all about picture quality.

Both plasma and LCD are second rate technologies from PQ standpoint. Why don't you buy a broadcast CRT monitor or OLED, if you really feel that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpbandaid View Post

Both plasma and LCD are second rate technologies from PQ standpoint. Why don't you buy a broadcast CRT monitor or OLED, if you really feel that way?

11" OLED or broadcast CRT vs 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite

Hmm...which to choose, which to choose
post #153 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

11" OLED or broadcast CRT vs 60" Pioneer Kuro Elite

Hmm...which to choose, which to choose

Maybe Kuro, if you want to keep dreaming about better PQ? I can tell you that larger size didn't make me any happier, so now I'm giving up size for PQ.
post #154 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Maybe Kuro, if you want to keep dreaming about better PQ? I can tell you that larger size didn't make me any happier, so now I'm giving up size for PQ.

You're giving up size for PQ? What did you get or do you have?
post #155 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:

You're giving up size for PQ? What did you get or do you have?

I bought used Sony BVM broadcast monitor. Next step would be 32" OLED.
post #156 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I bought used Sony BVM broadcast monitor. Next step would be 32" OLED.

What size is that monitor? 20"? 28?

How far away from it is your seating? I would love to see a picture of this setup.
post #157 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:

What size is that monitor? 20"? 28?

How far away from it is your seating? I would love to see a picture of this setup.

It's a 20" HR model, it sits on my computer desk. Nothing worth taking pics about.
post #158 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:

It's a 20" HR model, it sits on my computer desk. Nothing worth taking pics about.

Is that your primary display?
post #159 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Is that your primary display?

Yes.
post #160 of 179 Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Yes.

...you've got to be kidding.
post #161 of 179 Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS View Post

Off angle viewing of an LCD is off because of birefringence, which simply put is that lightwave fall out of phase with "the rest of the light waves" at off angle. On TN cells, this causes faded looking image at one extreme and a inverted video image on the other. On symmetrical panels, the display merely fades a bit at off angles. Black should be the blockage of light but at off angles, some light "gets through" and likewise white allows all the colors through but again at off angles, some light frequencies fall out of phase and get blocked. IPS and PVA technologies help correct this phenomena as compared to older TN technologies. Backlighting of an technology will not help this situation unless you can actually turn off the backlight in some of the areas (Dolby active backlights).

Also, concerning light leakage, linear polarizers do not block 100%. Unknown to many, the polarizers of a display are not set the maximum 90 degree opposition but are instead set to about 82 degree since this allows for faster response speed numbers. It is one of those little secrets in the display manufacturing game (plasmas too) to corrupt one performance spec in order to fix or improve another.

I really wish it was easier to discover which type of LCD technology is in the display. I would easily just cross off all TN panels off my list. Somehow the claims of TN viewing angles are much larger than reality. TN has the most narrow sweet spot of any of the VA IPS or TN types.

On a different topic, Directors intend acting, camera angles, lighting, filling and framing the entire lens etc etc. They hardly intend 24fps. Its just what they deal with. "24fps as the director intended" is a laugh line IMO
post #162 of 179 Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Umm... you should do a search of a poster who majored in film (I wish I could remember his name, or the thread he posted in). He went into great detail of a directors choice in regards to everything that you mentioned, including frame rate.

Everything he mentions, goes against the point you just tried to make.

But then again, I am just the messenger, as I did not major in film.
post #163 of 179 Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Umm... you should do a search of a poster who majored in film (I wish I could remember his name, or the thread he posted in). He went into great detail of a directors choice in regards to everything that you mentioned, including frame rate.

Everything he mentions, goes against the point you just tried to make.

But then again, I am just the messenger, as I did not major in film.

I agree they go into great choice for everything I mentioned and more, except frame rate. Frame rate is the standard of film, its there no matter what, until the standard is changed. They deal with it.

I simply think the argument of "24fps as the director intended" is a hallow argument for why 120 and 240 fps should not be used. Fluidity has many virtues. The chunk chunk chunk of 24fps is a tradition based upon an old technology standard. Would motion picture directors pick 60 fps if all movie theaters could display it?
post #164 of 179 Old 04-30-2009, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLASS View Post

Off angle viewing of an LCD is off because of birefringence, which simply put is that lightwave fall out of phase with "the rest of the light waves" at off angle. On TN cells, this causes faded looking image at one extreme and a inverted video image on the other. On symmetrical panels, the display merely fades a bit at off angles. Black should be the blockage of light but at off angles, some light "gets through" and likewise white allows all the colors through but again at off angles, some light frequencies fall out of phase and get blocked. IPS and PVA technologies help correct this phenomena as compared to older TN technologies. Backlighting of an technology will not help this situation unless you can actually turn off the backlight in some of the areas (Dolby active backlights).

Also, concerning light leakage, linear polarizers do not block 100%. Unknown to many, the polarizers of a display are not set the maximum 90 degree opposition but are instead set to about 82 degree since this allows for faster response speed numbers. It is one of those little secrets in the display manufacturing game (plasmas too) to corrupt one performance spec in order to fix or improve another.

You sharing your insight is always appreciated.

These are just my opinions.
post #165 of 179 Old 04-30-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

On a different topic, Directors intend acting, camera angles, lighting, filling and framing the entire lens etc etc. They hardly intend 24fps. Its just what they deal with. "24fps as the director intended" is a laugh line IMO

Then why are so many television shows shot at 24fps?
post #166 of 179 Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaker View Post

Its just what they deal with. "24fps as the director intended" is a laugh line IMO

Whether it is intended or not is dependant on the director.

But one thing is sure, 24fps is what the film was optimized and mastered at.

therefore deviating from that, can take away from the experience.
post #167 of 179 Old 04-30-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

I bet that's a hit at a Super Bowl party or when the family gathers around to watch TV.
post #168 of 179 Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09 View Post

Whether it is intended or not is dependant on the director.

But one thing is sure, 24fps is what the film was optimized and mastered at.

therefore deviating from that, can take away from the experience.

Its shot at 24fps...but a commercial movie theater's double shuttering action reduces the experience of judder and flicker. You can see some judder in the movie theater, but it is not as pronounced. So even at movie theater, the directors intended audience is seeing it at 48fps vs 24. I have also heard of triple flashing the frame to make it 72 fps.
post #169 of 179 Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Am on my 2nd set and same flashlight, blotch effects as had in first one-ugh. I am contemplating trading it in before 30 days up and get the 58b860 plasma but have heard about the noise prob and it runs so freaking hot. Plus, I already paid 200 to have this LED calibrated. I just cant get over the corners and middle of panel blotcheness. I know that I am not the only one with this problem. Can anyone let me know if the b860 is as good or better than the LED?

Thanks,
post #170 of 179 Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Can somebody pls summarize? ^^
Are led better than plasma?
post #171 of 179 Old 11-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\\| View Post

I would equate this to the drunk guy going to the zoo, jumping into the lions reserve area and waving his arms around. Its just asking for trouble.
post #172 of 179 Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya|\\| View Post

in terms of PQ, no
post #173 of 179 Old 11-28-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

I would equate this to the drunk guy going to the zoo, jumping into the lions reserve area and waving his arms around. Its just asking for trouble.

I would equate your post to a guys asking for trouble.
post #174 of 179 Old 11-28-2009, 05:36 AM

In my opinion LED/LCD are meant for viewers who are like my parents. They constantly have some sort of logo on the screen like fox news. they leave the lights on seems like 24hrs a day as well as the tv. So in this situation I tend to tell my parents lcd because they want something out of the box that works and looks decent to them and they are not critical about the picture.

Then we come to Plasma this is what I buy for myself I'm picky about what I see. I want something Natural looking, I watch it in different types of lighting from some sun to mainly shades down and night viewing mainly. I don't have my ty on something that has the same logo 24hrs a day and I don't always leave it on. I watch Blue-Ray and Sports and when it comes down to Most Manufactures will still say Plasma has the edge.

So it comes down to what your viewing habits are and what you want out of your tv. Both types of Tv's look good they just have a different purpose IMO I'm not a LCD hater I have one for the kids and I bought 1 and currently looking for another one for my parents. When it comes down to my relatives who want best picture and viewing habits are like mine well I tell them Plasma. And when you get to the 50+ size Plasma is really hard to bit quality and size Plasma is hands down the winner currently.

I can get a Sammy 58860 plasma (No-buzzing) for 2k vs a 46-47 LED this is what it comes down to right know for me 52% more viewing area. I looked at TV's a week ago and took my time it came down to the plasma and Plasma almost always look better once you get them home and some hrs on them. So the quality of the pic is good on both sets but it's really hard to step down in size. Biggest LED I know of is 55in which is still 3 inches smaller and a heck lot more expensive with a pic that is subjective to each viewer. The bad thing about tv's is I don't know to many people who go down in size. Sorry about being long.
post #175 of 179 Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 AM

Actually thank u for the long explanation ^^.
post #176 of 179 Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does any one know if there already exists or there will be 3D plasma panels? So far, from what I've read/heard, CE manufacturers will make 3D LED and OLED panels from 2010 onwards. If 3D plasma already exists, any comments/info about it? Thanks!

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #177 of 179 Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post

Does any one know if there already exists or there will be 3D plasma panels? So far, from what I've read/heard, CE manufacturers will make 3D LED and OLED panels from 2010 onwards. If 3D plasma already exists, any comments/info about it? Thanks!

There are at least 5 threads on the first page of the this forum relating to 3D and Panasonic's 3D plasmas

LCD is the MP3 of the TV world
post #178 of 179 Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada42 View Post

Am on my 2nd set and same flashlight, blotch effects as had in first one-ugh. I am contemplating trading it in before 30 days up and get the 58b860 plasma but have heard about the noise prob and it runs so freaking hot. Plus, I already paid 200 to have this LED calibrated. I just cant get over the corners and middle of panel blotcheness. I know that I am not the only one with this problem. Can anyone let me know if the b860 is as good or better than the LED?

Thanks,

I just got the 50" B860 and can tell you that it doesn't get hot and I have it running for the last 48hrs non stop because I'm breaking it in with the break-in DVD. I had a 2 year old LCD (Samsung LNT4661F) and my new plasma isn't really any hotter than that LCD was. I also can't hear any buzzing unless I mute the TV and get my ear very close to the screen. When I'm watching my TV from 8 feet I can't hear any buzzing with the sound on and very slightly depending on the image when muted. Also there is no comparison whit the image quality when watching movies. The colors are very accurate but it's a little darker than my LCD. The biggest reason why I didn't get another LCD is that most new sets are either 120Hz or 240Hz which makes movies look like they were recorded with a hand held camera and very unnatural. I liked the LCD picture more when watching sports but it was a little blurry, and for everything else I prefer the plasma. If I ever do get another LCD I'll make sure that I get one that has local dimming like the Samsung 8500 does to get more accurate colors similar to plasma displays.
post #179 of 179 Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM

If you still prefer the best overall picture quality, best flesh tones, richest blacks, fast action in sports and movies without ghosting than plasma is still the tv to beat. LED/LCD has come along way but they are not there yet.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page