Yahoo! TV Widgets platform supporters or owners - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Yahoo! TV Widgets platform (http://connectedtv.yahoo.com/) is a new step toward bringing internet connectivity to the television, not in mimicry of a browser, but in the small, dedicated purpose applets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Widgets) found on Macintosh and PC platforms, and propelled forward into mainstream consciousness by UI approaches like found on the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Widgets may or may not be a feature that will close the deal for consumers purchasing a new TV. I would hope this thread could avoid the "top level" issues: whether one likes the feature or not; whether Widgets are worth a cost premium or not; whether they sell one into buying a new TV or not.

This thread assumes that the Yahoo! Widgets Engine is viable tech with unique strengths and limitations. Let's talk of what about Widgets platform is working well and what you think could be working better as far as functionality, interface, usefulness, specific Widgets, or etc.

At the writing and beginning of this thread (May 09) Samsung is the only manufacturer shipping the Yahoo! TV Widgets platform as the Internet@TV feature of selected B-series models. Sony, LG and Vizio are expected to launch Widgets enabled TV models in 2009. We may find that manufacturers support the platform differently. We will find some Widgets suit the TV environ better than others. We may see that particular Widgets are available with some manufacturers and some are not. We may find some Widgets are available in some regions/markets and not in others. We may see this new TV platform offer distinct opportunities for third party developers or for only certain types of third parties. In market penetration it may, for example, reach the one million U.S. household (about 8/10s of one per cent of U.S. households) sales projection by the end of '09. The platform may expand rapidly and grow. Or it may remain marginal. Or even fizzle.

Perhaps this thread can serve as a place to propel interested discussion forward here during these early days of the TV Widgets platform at this terrific AVSforum until such time it may warrant expansion into its own section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

May 20, 09: The Twitter widget (v1.2.2), the most recent Yahoo! TV widgets, is quite robust. You can pretty much do everything -- read your tweets, post new ones, follow trends, follow new twits -- except following linked urls (understandable) and posting Twitpics. For keeping an eye on what's happening with your stream this widget a good deal of fun.

Date stamping is not working at the moment where all tweets in my feed said they were posted "a moment ago".

Writing new tweets bogs down far more unnecessarily than it should were this aspect of Yahoo! TV Widgets better thought through at this point. Granted, a remote is not the ideal input device, but so far text input is pretty poorly designed with an A-Z alphabet layout, instead of favoring a familiar QWERTY layout or even using the remote's number pad in a traditional texting input with predictive dictionary. (The Yahoo! Weather widget, in contrast, is predictive when entering in world locations.) The space bar requires one to navigate to it and choose it instead of designing the yellow universal button on the remote as a redundant space bar. Furthermore, in the symbols layout there is no pound (#) sign, meaning that one can't presently use this widget to tag one's tweets for simultaneous posting elsewhere, like on one's Facebook status.

It also would be nice to allow certain Twiends (Twitter friends) to be selected as Snippets, so that their most recent tweets would appear in the horizontal task bar, much like what one can do with the Yahoo! Weather and Finance widgets at the moment. For now only the most recent tweet appears as a snippet in the task bar.

It is kind of cool that one's new tweets say they were posted from "from Yahoo! TV Widgets", promoting awareness of this new platform to the public.
post #3 of 33 Old 05-20-2009, 01:53 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Twitter? Facebook? My Space?

I can't imagine that anyones life is so boring as to sit at a computer all day and do that kind of stuff. Don't you have real friends?

There are other things to do with your TV than surf the web. I would not buy a set based on that. Now there are some connectivity features that I find attractive, but none of the them involve a Yahoo applet.
post #4 of 33 Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Twitter? Facebook? My Space?

I can't imagine that anyones life is so boring as to sit at a computer all day and do that kind of stuff. Don't you have real friends?

There are other things to do with your TV than surf the web. I would not buy a set based on that. Now there are some connectivity features that I find attractive, but none of the them involve a Yahoo applet.

Sorry, TNG, but that's just a prejudiced and foolish jab. That is as silly as me asking whether you have any 'real friends' because you have chosen to make over 1,100 posts to this website.

Many people have jobs that require constant computer or telephone work -- and social updates via computer or telephone -- kept in moderation of course -- are no more harmful than chatting with coworkers while working. In some ways it can be tremendously productivity enhancing. Also many people find that small social updates throughout life, whether work life or free time life, makes their real-life friendships richer. I have plenty of real-life friends, as do most users of social networking sites. In fact one of Twitter's and Facebook's huge challenges is to not just become 'wealthy middle class sites' but to also appeal and 'stick' with users of the younger demographic -- many of whom are still favoring the "cruder and inefficient" technology options of phone calls and texting.

Surfing, furthermore, is becoming an increasingly out of date concept for web use. Many people are increasingly using dedicated purpose widgets, applets, and phone apps to access and relay information to deliberately alter and avoid the internet experience from one of browser surfing to a greater perception of tailoring and control. Social networking sites and blogs have allowed users to grab content (perhaps to too great a degree) that already fits their life, worldviews and is filtered by way of referrals from persons or institutions they trust. Serving access to this content and web experience on mid-to-higher cost TVs, at the moment, is a way to give the long-in-the-tooth "sit and watch TV" paradigm, perhaps, a fighting chance against changing information and entertainment consumption norms among the middle-class. (Studies show that many people use a computer or connected device in tandem with watching TV; connectivity is one of the highest ranking features consumer studies have shown for TVs.)

But does the Yahoo TV Widgets platform successfully bring this control of information & entertainment experience to the consumer demographics they hope to be hitting? I do agree with you that some connectivity options via networked TVs are more apt to suit the TV environ than others. This latter issue I think is what makes TV Widgets an interesting new TV tech to watch and discuss.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
So far I'm not truly impressed with the widgets. Out of the bunch I use 2 on a more or less consistent basis. The weather, and the 5 card stud. I'm anxiously awaiting the Netflix widget, and some of the networks stuff would be nice, like CBS or some of the movie channels. Though I don't know if there will be a fee or you have to sub the channel to access the content- I'm thinking SHO here.

I think I see potential here, but my reticence may be due to the fact I'm an early adopter, got my B650 in early April, so I check daily for more content - and it's not there. Directv is using widgets ow too, only available if you beta test, again nothing ground breaking there either. These companies need to remember that content is king, without the killer app, widgets will be dead on the vine.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotequest View Post

Sorry, TNG, but that's just a prejudiced and foolish jab. That is as silly as me asking whether you have any 'real friends' because you have chosen to make over 1,100 posts to this website. .

Allot of my posts here are done early morning when I am just getting to work between 5AM and 7AM. The fact that you think that it was a prejudiced statement puts you in a much younger, much more PC generation.

I have found that people that spend allot of time on "Social Netorking" sites, will often avoid real social interaction.

Quote:

Social networking sites and blogs have allowed users to grab content (perhaps to too great a degree) that already fits their life, worldviews and is filtered by way of referrals from persons or institutions they trust.

Social networking on the web is as you say filtered to what the person prefers already. This leaves many people that I know not out there learning other points of view, but just believing that everybody thinks the same as them and not seeing both sides of any issue. That kind of interaction is best when it is done face to face.

BTW, I believe that a TV should be for watching TV and a phone is for calling people.
post #7 of 33 Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure if new Yahoo Widgets are slow to release due to the Yahoo / Konfabulator team having been tied up on Sony's Widget roll out or not. At any rate here's a video of Sony's implementation. Dock and widget launch don't work exactly the same as Samsung's implementation (I prefer Samsung's design) but the available widget applets themselves appear to be identical even if widget availability doesn't appear to be the same between Sony and Samsung at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHndiAZtyyY
post #8 of 33 Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

A Big Release
-------------------
July 13, 09: Released to North America for the weekend of July 10, the Samsung YouTube TV Widget became available for download. This is probably the biggest feature for the platform so far.

I have been unable to confirm if this is the same version that has been tested in other markets like the UK for the past few months. It is not yet even a Version 1 yet, so I suspect it may be the same build. On my TV (a 46" B750 model) it says this Widget is released by Samsung instead of YouTube so it is uncertain how similar the widget works when YouTube functionality appears on Sony or LG sets that also feature the Yahoo TV Widget platform. Certainly more improvements are bound for Widgets like this.

It's great to see a full-featured video streaming app make it to the TV Widgets platform. Compared to the Yahoo! Video Widget that has been available for several months -- and has a spartan video clip offering with infrequent updates -- the Samsung YouTube TV Widget is robust, allowing you to access all content that is available on YouTube. Unlike most TV Widgets that are designed to let you multitask via a Widget split screen while watching TV, the YouTube widget launches full screen once you select the general category (Highly Rated, Newest, Featured, Search, Most Discussion, etc.).

The full screen app looks reasonably attractive once functioning. Video and audio quality, of course, will vary from clip to clip. As more and more YouTube users are accessing content on HD-capable devices slowly content quality has been moving upward, even if it still remains a mixed bag. Much like the early days of the iPod, some picture quality loss is undoubtedly acceptable to have so much streaming content available easily from one's TV. Yet so far YouTube content can look (and sometimes sound) pretty rough on HDTVs of this size and caliber. However, I find it immensely cool to see this kind of content becoming accessible via a TV. A/V quality will no doubt continue to eek positively forward over time though that is by no means a certain predictor for content quality itself.

A Slightly Different Intent than Online
----------------------------------------------
The YouTube Widget plays clips continuously once started. For example, select a clip to play in a current content category. Once watched the next sequential clip in the previous clip queue will play automatically once the current clip is completed, and on and on. The usual online YouTube "Share" "Replay" and "Respond" features, as well as other clips contextually connected to the clip just watched, do not appear once the current clip completes playing. It seems the design intent of the YouTube Widget so far is to encourage you to sit back and just watch the variety of content as it queues. Sometimes this works; most the time it doesn't. Even with a custom search contextual linking is less strong, for example multiple parts of a given clip stream will not be weighted or linked to sequentially appear in the queue. The only weighting that really seems to predict content order in the queue are the search terms and the ratings of online YouTube users -- and presently the Widget does not allow you to rate content. If multipart clips were linked together this would be an even more cool widget.

Early Interface Shortcomings
------------------------------------
The navigation is fairly intuitive but there are early shortcomings. Text input works less effectively than in other Widgets currently available to the platform. The virtual "keyboard" arrangement is Alphabetical instead of QWERTY much like other Widgets (Twitter, Yahoo! suite widgets, etc.). Unfortunately column navigation does not wrap left-to-right or right-to-left like other Widgets. For example, on other Widgets featuring text entry you can click left from the left-most column of letters to arrive at the right-most column of letters and vice versa. This is an effective design nuance that improves the speed of entry in an environment of overall laggy response (that exists thru the entire current TV Widgets platform).

For the YouTube Widget, right-to-left wrap can't be logically implemented as a click off the right column of the keyboard moves one into the updating video content queue. But left-keyboard-column-to-right-keyboard-column wrap could certainly be implemented. This would be an improvement, for sure, but the biggest improvement -- besides the need to just be more snappy in speed -- would be to see the RED/GREEN/YELLOW/BLUE generic remote keys used. So far they have no functionality. Were they to work as a space bar, delete key, symbols toggle, or etc., text entry would VASTLY improve. Navigating thru the "keyboard" to select a space bar, for example, is an atrociously annoying barrier to entry speed that needn't exist. Not only could the Samsung YouTube Widget benefit, but every other text entry feature on other Widgets on the platform could too.

The custom Search also needs a "clear search" function added. The only way to change a custom search is to navigate down to the virtual delete key on the keyboard -- and delete one's previous search letter by letter -- or to select one of the other content categories and then click back to the Search category.

A feature of the Samsung YouTube widget is that as one enters text in the keyboard to the left, available video content queue continuously updates on the right of the screen. A plus is that it often allows you to find content you're seeking before the entire text has been entered, assuming you're wise about selecting the keywords. But perform a search like my 13-year-old who isn't so judicious about word choice selection this feature ends up making a laggy text entry even more so. Plus it is annoying when an errant click right from the right-most keyboard column places you into the clip queue which requires extra navigation back to the keyboard to complete one's entry. The simple right click from keyboard to queue works when you've found the content you're seeking, but given the current lagginess, more often it proves a barrier to effective text entry on the virtual keyboard itself.

Functionality Shortcomings
----------------------------------
Viewing and contributing to video clip comment threads is not functional on the Widget. This is no big deal in my opinion. However, it is unfortunate that the Widget is not (YET) designed "smart" enough in that you:

(a) Can't rate content yourself

(b) Can't log in to your own YouTube account to add to or view your own Favorite clips.

(c) Can't have the Widget honor mature or inappropriate content account settings.
This may be a negative for a TV that otherwise presently offers the usual TV parental controls. My sons, for example, were viewing a "Guns N Roses at McDonalds" cartoon and immediately after a clip with a cartoon cumming penis drawing began to play. It just happened to be the next clip in the queue by whatever way the Widget selects a queue. Granted, YouTube online is a site that is a mixed bag of content quality and appropriateness, but this Widget presently has less control and less efficient content ordering and contextual linking than the online site. Having the Widget honor content parameters like you can set online would be an improvement. However if mature or inappropriate content must be completely avoided then this Widget is not for you, and may never be.

Summary: A Decent Start
---------------------------------
My problems with the YouTube Widget are mostly issues of interface design and interface lag (that also affects the Yahoo Widgets platform in general). I have had no troubles with streaming content playing well once selected. (My TV is connected via Ethernet cable to my router with a 6 megabit connection; I have not yet tried these new TV features wirelessly.) A Widget like this is a great feature to see emerging on TVs and is a hopeful sign -- given that this isn't even a Version 1 build yet -- of a platform that should mature and will not only be an effective marketing feature but also one that more and more consumers will begin to use.
post #9 of 33 Old 07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You Tube is not the killer app I've been waiting for. For me it's just more junk like all the other widgets. Give me Netflix and then you can give me all the crap you want and I'll happily ignore the rest.
post #10 of 33 Old 07-14-2009, 06:48 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

You Tube is not the killer app I've been waiting for. For me it's just more junk like all the other widgets. Give me Netflix and then you can give me all the crap you want and I'll happily ignore the rest.

Yes that would be a good app for the TV. You Tube and allot of other sites out there don't interest me either.
post #11 of 33 Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well something is going on, just got another new set of downloads today. Waiting to see what we get next.
post #12 of 33 Old 07-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:

A Big Release
-------------------
July 13, 09: Released to North America for the weekend of July 10, the Samsung YouTube TV Widget became available for download. This is probably the biggest feature for the platform so far.

I have been unable to confirm if this is the same version that has been tested in other markets like the UK for the past few months. It is not yet even a Version 1 yet, so I suspect it may be the same build. On my TV (a 46" B750 model) it says this Widget is released by Samsung instead of YouTube so it is uncertain how similar the widget works when YouTube functionality appears on Sony or LG sets that also feature the Yahoo TV Widget platform. Certainly more improvements are bound for Widgets like this.

It's great to see a full-featured video streaming app make it to the TV Widgets platform. Compared to the Yahoo! Video Widget that has been available for several months -- and has a spartan video clip offering with infrequent updates -- the Samsung YouTube TV Widget is robust, allowing you to access all content that is available on YouTube. Unlike most TV Widgets that are designed to let you multitask via a Widget split screen while watching TV, the YouTube widget launches full screen once you select the general category (Highly Rated, Newest, Featured, Search, Most Discussion, etc.).

The full screen app looks reasonably attractive once functioning. Video and audio quality, of course, will vary from clip to clip. As more and more YouTube users are accessing content on HD-capable devices slowly content quality has been moving upward, even if it still remains a mixed bag. Much like the early days of the iPod, some picture quality loss is undoubtedly acceptable to have so much streaming content available easily from one's TV. Yet so far YouTube content can look (and sometimes sound) pretty rough on HDTVs of this size and caliber. However, I find it immensely cool to see this kind of content becoming accessible via a TV. A/V quality will no doubt continue to eek positively forward over time though that is by no means a certain predictor for content quality itself.

A Slightly Different Intent than Online
----------------------------------------------
The YouTube Widget plays clips continuously once started. For example, select a clip to play in a current content category. Once watched the next sequential clip in the previous clip queue will play automatically once the current clip is completed, and on and on. The usual online YouTube "Share" "Replay" and "Respond" features, as well as other clips contextually connected to the clip just watched, do not appear once the current clip completes playing. It seems the design intent of the YouTube Widget so far is to encourage you to sit back and just watch the variety of content as it queues. Sometimes this works; most the time it doesn't. Even with a custom search contextual linking is less strong, for example multiple parts of a given clip stream will not be weighted or linked to sequentially appear in the queue. The only weighting that really seems to predict content order in the queue are the search terms and the ratings of online YouTube users -- and presently the Widget does not allow you to rate content. If multipart clips were linked together this would be an even more cool widget.

Early Interface Shortcomings
------------------------------------
The navigation is fairly intuitive but there are early shortcomings. Text input works less effectively than in other Widgets currently available to the platform. The virtual "keyboard" arrangement is Alphabetical instead of QWERTY much like other Widgets (Twitter, Yahoo! suite widgets, etc.). Unfortunately column navigation does not wrap left-to-right or right-to-left like other Widgets. For example, on other Widgets featuring text entry you can click left from the left-most column of letters to arrive at the right-most column of letters and vice versa. This is an effective design nuance that improves the speed of entry in an environment of overall laggy response (that exists thru the entire current TV Widgets platform).

For the YouTube Widget, right-to-left wrap can't be logically implemented as a click off the right column of the keyboard moves one into the updating video content queue. But left-keyboard-column-to-right-keyboard-column wrap could certainly be implemented. This would be an improvement, for sure, but the biggest improvement -- besides the need to just be more snappy in speed -- would be to see the RED/GREEN/YELLOW/BLUE generic remote keys used. So far they have no functionality. Were they to work as a space bar, delete key, symbols toggle, or etc., text entry would VASTLY improve. Navigating thru the "keyboard" to select a space bar, for example, is an atrociously annoying barrier to entry speed that needn't exist. Not only could the Samsung YouTube Widget benefit, but every other text entry feature on other Widgets on the platform could too.

The custom Search also needs a "clear search" function added. The only way to change a custom search is to navigate down to the virtual delete key on the keyboard -- and delete one's previous search letter by letter -- or to select one of the other content categories and then click back to the Search category.

A feature of the Samsung YouTube widget is that as one enters text in the keyboard to the left, available video content queue continuously updates on the right of the screen. A plus is that it often allows you to find content you're seeking before the entire text has been entered, assuming you're wise about selecting the keywords. But perform a search like my 13-year-old who isn't so judicious about word choice selection this feature ends up making a laggy text entry even more so. Plus it is annoying when an errant click right from the right-most keyboard column places you into the clip queue which requires extra navigation back to the keyboard to complete one's entry. The simple right click from keyboard to queue works when you've found the content you're seeking, but given the current lagginess, more often it proves a barrier to effective text entry on the virtual keyboard itself.

Functionality Shortcomings
----------------------------------
Viewing and contributing to video clip comment threads is not functional on the Widget. This is no big deal in my opinion. However, it is unfortunate that the Widget is not (YET) designed "smart" enough in that you:

(a) Can't rate content yourself

(b) Can't log in to your own YouTube account to add to or view your own Favorite clips.

(c) Can't have the Widget honor mature or inappropriate content account settings.
This may be a negative for a TV that otherwise presently offers the usual TV parental controls. My sons, for example, were viewing a "Guns N Roses at McDonalds" cartoon and immediately after a clip with a cartoon cumming penis drawing began to play. It just happened to be the next clip in the queue by whatever way the Widget selects a queue. Granted, YouTube online is a site that is a mixed bag of content quality and appropriateness, but this Widget presently has less control and less efficient content ordering and contextual linking than the online site. Having the Widget honor content parameters like you can set online would be an improvement. However if mature or inappropriate content must be completely avoided then this Widget is not for you, and may never be.

Summary: A Decent Start
---------------------------------
My problems with the YouTube Widget are mostly issues of interface design and interface lag (that also affects the Yahoo Widgets platform in general). I have had no troubles with streaming content playing well once selected. (My TV is connected via Ethernet cable to my router with a 6 megabit connection; I have not yet tried these new TV features wirelessly.) A Widget like this is a great feature to see emerging on TVs and is a hopeful sign -- given that this isn't even a Version 1 build yet -- of a platform that should mature and will not only be an effective marketing feature but also one that more and more consumers will begin to use.

Good review. Widget is very good start. Full screen view is very nice.
would like add couple things to shortcoming are
1. "Quick / Playlist List feature" Play selected videos list
2. "Some kind of Search history" where you don't have to type again.
post #13 of 33 Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM

Didn't find any other thread directly related to this, so thats why I'm resurrecting this one.

----------------

Started experiementing with the youtube widget abit more today.

To be honest, its a slow horrid piece of mess. Searching is slow and very jumpy thanks to the updating. Then i have a large problem with searching. First i thought it was the localization, so i reset that from swedish to US. Still nothing, except i actually get a few more relevant featured clips at the first page. And searching either for the uploader, or the actual full name of the clip, it couldnt manage to find a featured clip, very highly rated with 3 million views. And when i went to the website http://www.youtube.com/xl and tried to play it from my favorite list it says its disallowed from the type of device, which makes absolute no sense at all. But yeah, i guess the rightsholder wants you to buy the clip on itunes, etc.

Great work - NOT

* Youtube Widget - Lots of shortcomings there.
- SLOW
- Cant log into your account.
- Search doesnt work very well
- "More from" pane is missing.
- "Related videos" pane is missing.
- Localization options is missing in the youtube app (only way is to change your yahoo profile localization which will also factory reset the internet part of the samsung tv and require a restart. BAD design.
- Rights - falls under mobile devices - Seems to be built on the Youtube XL service which dissallows some clips with no regards to localization even if you are logged in, XL dissallows clips that you can watch on the normal site based on device-setting.

------------------------------

I've also tested some of the other widgets
* Weather widget works fine, including localization. Not much to say.
* Sudoku widget(funspot) - Also works fine.
* Flickr widget - works great overall
+ Fast
+ Easy
+ Has everything you would need on a tv for flickr.
- Lacks ability to only have left+right buttons without the filmstrip in slide mode.
- Lacks a search pane
post #14 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Have had my LG 47LH50 HDTV for about a month and enjoying it immensely. The Yahoo widgets could use some more attention, though. For example, as near as I can tell, one can't customize the Yahoo Sports widget for one's favorite team. Also doesn't provide NFL as a choice for leagues to get scores for. Anyone know how to correct this?
post #15 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 AM

I've come to conclude that Widgets are a joke.

We were all promised the moon and what do we get, some crappy sports app. At this point I'd say give it a few more months, then start looking for a class action suit. I paid extra money based on the information that was available that indicated quality content like NETFLIX, SHOWTIME, CBS, and such. At this point we have a few crappy games, and some limited appeal stuff like You Tube and Twitter.

Some of you with differing brands might have more available to you but we Samsung owners at frozen out. Anyone know a good lawyer? That seems to be the only way some companies take notice.
post #16 of 33 Old 10-04-2009, 12:09 PM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 View Post

I've come to conclude that Widgets are a joke.

....Some of you with differing brands might have more available to you but we Samsung owners at frozen out. Anyone know a good lawyer? That seems to be the only way some companies take notice.

Samsung is used to getting sued, good luck there, but I understand how you feel. They throw a couple of logos into the advertising for the set you bought and you think that it really is going to happen.

Reality is that they probably had no idea yet if they could even get someone like NetFlix (and maybe never tired) onboard and got permission or paid for the right to use the logo. In the end if they sold a few more sets it was a bet that paid off and they really never have to deal with really getting any of the so-called promised services to you, just a very limited, dysfunctional web browser as described above is all they really promised.
post #17 of 33 Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Samsung is used to getting sued, good luck there, but I understand how you feel. They throw a couple of logos into the advertising for the set you bought and you think that it really is going to happen.

Reality is that they probably had no idea yet if they could even get someone like NetFlix (and maybe never tired) onboard and got permission or paid for the right to use the logo. In the end if they sold a few more sets it was a bet that paid off and they really never have to deal with really getting any of the so-called promised services to you, just a very limited, dysfunctional web browser as described above is all they really promised.

Well, they seem to have no problem getting Netflix and Pandora going on their Blu Ray players --my Sammy 2550 has them. The reason I posted what I did is that many companies have web crawlers that pick up that sort of thing and perhaps there is a very slim chance that will get flagged.

Truth be told I am angry. Deceptive advertising should not be the norm, but it often seems to be. Some of the blurbs indicated "Over 100 widgets by year end", I guess they did not bother to specify which year for good reason.
post #18 of 33 Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It would be great if Yahoo open this up and let the Widget be a jumping point for network applications. I.E. everybody needs a WATCH MY VIDEOS and LISTEN TO MUSIC icons right, then the TV will "talk" to your media server and play those contents. WE WISH.

Am guessing at this point Yahoo is still trying to figure out how to make money on this thing.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #19 of 33 Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

It would be great if Yahoo open this up and let the Widget be a jumping point for network applications. I.E. everybody needs a WATCH MY VIDEOS and LISTEN TO MUSIC icons right, then the TV will "talk" to your media server and play those contents. WE WISH.

Am guessing at this point Yahoo is still trying to figure out how to make money on this thing.

I understand that one of the new Sony XBR models (10 or 11) will or does have wireless capabilities. If this can connect to a wireless router and then your PC, that would open up all of the apps that you currently have on your PC. I don't know the details of the set yet, but that would make more sense than trying to build in all of the connectivity on the set itself.
post #20 of 33 Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM

I want to add my findings from recent purchase of Sony KDL-46W5100. The Sony Bravia Internet Widgets (like the Yahoo Widgets) are only operational with the analog inputs and RF TV. When pressing the Widgets button on the remote using HDMI input you get error message "Function not available for this input". The Bravia Internet Video applications still work, like YouTube, Amazon Video on Demand and NetFlix when using HDMI.

I hope this can be changed in a firmware update, because most my cable box installs are using HDMI and CEC control.
post #21 of 33 Old 11-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

I recently purchased a LG 42LH50 tv with Yahoo Widgets. I was a little disappointed to find many of the more interesting widgets such as Ebay, CBS Entertainment and Showtime were absent from my TV. In all, I have 11 widgets.
Am I doing something wrong? For now, with the limited choice of widgets, it's a rather boring experience and I don't see how it can succeed without Yahoo stepping up and making more content available.

Enjoying crystal clear TV for free.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #22 of 33 Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

I applied for and received a Widget Development Kit (WDK) version 0.9.7-6 from Yahoo. I gave some BS info for my website and whatnot... apparently they don't check or don't care. I haven't played with it yet, but from reading the email that came with it, it looks like it might be interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to create something useful for my TV.
Anyway, if anyone else is trying to create TV widgets, maybe this would be a good place to trade ideas?

post #23 of 33 Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Would it be possible to develop a widget that would allow access to movies or music on my network? Sort of a "DLNA widget"?
post #24 of 33 Old 04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Widgets are last years news. I remember anxiously wait for each new widget and being disappointed when they were lame. Now I haven't even checked for over a month, and I see no excitement in the area either. Are they even pushing Widgets on this year's models?

Samsung never gave me the one widget I cared about, Netflix. Well, I now have BR players at all my HD TVs and they support Netflix, so my only use/interest in widgets are gone. If the grab your interest widgets were out first, not crap like ebay and flickr, there might have been some growing interest in the product, now I think it's DOA.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-08-2010, 10:18 AM

I got a LG 60ps80 last year, specifically for the connected features. In more than a year, they didn't add a single extra Yahoo widget beside the ones the TV was shipped with. Bad support for a $2000+ TV.
post #26 of 33 Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I'm looking at the Vizio SV422XVT. It is 42" and includes the VIA (widgets) and is under $850 at Sams club. Supposedly the netflix widget is functional on it already. The space where I want to put it is above a fireplace and there is not a good location for a blu ray player so having netflix built into the TV would be nice. The only thing it would then be missing is access to movies and music on my network. I was just curious if a future widget was possible for that.
post #27 of 33 Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, two things really. First, I would not count on ANY widgets for any reason, the track record speaks for itself. Lots of promises, little delivery.

Second, Netflix steaming is a poor second when it comes to quality. It is in no way comparable to a Blu Ray player. It only supports 2 channel sound, and the image quality is dependent on your network speed. If your speed is 3mb or less don't count on seeing their so called HD feed.

HDMI cables are cheap and come in lots of lengths from monoprice, you can put your Blu ray player where you want.
post #28 of 33 Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

There are some new widgets in development. You may be able to try them out as a beta tester. More info in the link.

http://mapstv.blogspot.com/2010/04/english.html

post #29 of 33 Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders140 View Post

I'm looking at the Vizio SV422XVT. It is 42" and includes the VIA (widgets) and is under $850 at Sams club. Supposedly the netflix widget is functional on it already. The space where I want to put it is above a fireplace and there is not a good location for a blu ray player so having netflix built into the TV would be nice. The only thing it would then be missing is access to movies and music on my network. I was just curious if a future widget was possible for that.

Netflix quality can't be compared to blue ray, so I am assuming you are mentioning the blue ray player in reference to it's internet features?

Other TV models allow access to home networks for playing music and movies, for instance my LG does. Also, the LG has VUDU, which approaches blue ray in quality, but cost much more than Netflix. I would give the specs of the Visio another look, I would be surprised if it doesn't allow you to access your files somehow, either through USB, wifi or ethernet.

post #30 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Anyone using the pandora widget successfully on a Samsung? I tried it with the wireless dongle and it's to slow to use. Takes minutes to load 1 song.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page