Standout Designs picture thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 330 Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yay, stand ordered (but not coming for 2 to 3 weeks frown.gif )!! Haven 72" in Espresso on Oak - We ordered the wood samples (very handy) and it's almost a perfect match for our coffee table which is seen above a few posts. I'll post pics once it arrives. We just bought a house and our old tv stand was not going to work at all. Even better, I now have an excuse to upgrade to a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s/CC-590 that will sit nicely on the stand and sufficiently out of reach of the dog.

By the way, those monoblocks are beasts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 330 Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks. A little cleaned up now:

IMG_2254.JPG 2461k .JPG file

IMG_2255.JPG 2275k .JPG file
post #273 of 330 Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
besides Salamander, who else makes comparable stands like these with options for rear extensions/fans/etc?

I may be in the market sometime soon and Like the Horizon, but am curious what else is out there
post #274 of 330 Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

BDI maybe. Sadly most tv stand makers completely ignore functionality and only focus in form.
post #275 of 330 Old 01-12-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post

BDI maybe. Sadly most tv stand makers completely ignore functionality and only focus in form.

My one issue with BDI is the material often feels very cheap.
post #276 of 330 Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sale going on now
post #277 of 330 Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

According to the Standout website the bottom shelf holds 95 lbs on each side. Has anyone put more than 95lbs on the bottom shelf? I was thinking of getting an amp of 120-130lbs and this is holding me back. frown.gif
post #278 of 330 Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
what amp? I'm curious because I imagine a 120-130lb amp might get a little warm
post #279 of 330 Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott brown View Post

what amp? I'm curious because I imagine a 120-130lb amp might get a little warm

I don't anticipate it being warmer than my current amp. Still class AB. Anthem P5, but I've already talked myself out of it cause I don't have two separate 15 amp circuits. Was also looking at MC8207. The MC303 / 452 are just too heavy.
post #280 of 330 Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mediocre photos don't do it justice. Decided to stick with the Oiled Bronze knobs, need to see if I can send the Satin Nickel back. As you can see, I choose one that gives me plenty of room to upgrade. Doesn't it just scream - BUY ME A BIG CENTER!

Haven 72" - Espresso on Oak

Please ignore our much too small rug...I did have to promise that we get a bigger rug before I get a center speaker rolleyes.gif
post #281 of 330 Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mediocre photos don't do it justice. Decided to stick with the Oiled Bronze knobs, need to see if I can send the Satin Nickel back. As you can see, I choose one that gives me plenty of room to upgrade. Doesn't it just scream - BUY ME A BIG CENTER!

Please ignore our much too small rug...I did have to promise that we get a bigger rug before I get a center speaker rolleyes.gif

My Paradigm C3 fits nicely in the Horizon XL! smile.gif
post #282 of 330 Old 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Posting my pictures of the 72" Haven unit. I am also posting some thoughts I sent to Standout Designs. We are generally pleased with the unit and so far it seems to fit most of our needs. We have the Cinnamon. It looks great in the living room and represents the components well. The glass shelves are very sturdy, the fans are super quiet as everyone points out and the routable sensor wire is a nice touch if the hottest component is on the middle or bottom shelf. It rolls back and forth easily enough. Taking the boards on and off the back is a breeze.

However, there were a few surprises and design features that we wish were different.

1. The glass for the doors that initially shipped was the wrong size. Here I would like to praise the customer service for how fast we received our new glass, which looks great.

2. The hinges. We really thought the unit was going to come with the Salice euro cup hinges. They appear on both the Majestic and Horizon. Looking back at the website pictures for the Haven I see they are not there but I am really disappointed. The current hinges do not have that nice feel and it is VERY loud when opening and closing the doors, not to mention the extra pressure required to close a door all the way. I should have looked more closely but I feel wronged that the better hinges appear only on the other two units.

3. Putting larger sized components into the rack is very difficult. The inside space is large enough but because of extra pieces of wood over the opening on the backside or the door/hinge pieces on the front, loading the larger items is challenging. A few times I had to put in the glass shelf but not on its clips, put in the component, then raise both together with someone and hold it in mid air while we put the clips in under the shelf. Note that my Krell KAV-250p barely fit in and the Bryston 9B-SST 19” with handles and XLR connectors prevents the back of the cabinet from being put on. The Bryston is on me as I bought it used (no configuration choice) and I could send it back to Bryston for a faceplate change to 17” and no handles. But I felt people should be aware.

4. Speaking of the shelf clips, they are very loose. Several times they fell out while trying to put in a shelf. It would be nice if they were a touch more snug in the holes.

5. The lack of uniformity in the openings caused us to really scratch the wood on one side. By this I mean I had one large component in on the left side. I then decided I wanted it on the right. Well, thanks to the right side rear opening being fractionally smaller, I kept trying to put in the component thinking it would fit but instead I have wood that looks like a bear attacked it. Luckily it is on the inside back of the component but I am still unhappy about both the scratches and the fact I can't change my setup because a piece fits only on one side.

6. I found that the cable run holes on the center speaker area are not useful. By that I mean I don't want to see cables visibly running from one side of the cabinet to the other. I had to route all cables down to the lower holes, across and then back up. I could put your custom grill cover over the center speaker area but I like how my center speaker looks. Needless to say the bottom cable run holes are quite full. I definitely see this as a personal preference and not necessarily a design flaw, although with the depth of the center speaker opening perhaps an intermediate adjustable board could be offered between the back of the center speaker and the back of the cabinet which cords could run behind.

7. The balancer feet on the bottom seem difficult to use. When we called to ask how to use them we were told that a) we would have to lift the unit up to adjust the foot and b) then it won't roll anymore. Do you know how heavy the unit is with all the equipment in there? Not practical. We have an uneven floor and the feet seem like a great idea but not at the expense of rolling or my spine. We'll have to look for a different option.

Overall the piece looks great and we could not find anything better on the market to fit six pieces of equipment plus the 65" TV. Note it will be rolled back against the wall eventually but for now I am still playing with cords and equipment.

post #283 of 330 Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, and that was why we went with the Haven. Our center just fits in (PSB Synchrony One C) and looks great there.

post #284 of 330 Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 15
I just ordered a haven 72" in oak with black so excited cant wait.......

FW 15.3 PSB, Now where did I put my beer?
post #285 of 330 Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM

Liked: 13
Does SOD have regularly scheduled sales? I know I've seen November and there was one recently for discounted shipping. Not sure what the pros/cons of various sales are and the best time to buy.
post #286 of 330 Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Anyone have a price list of the available options? I've emailed them with no reply.
post #287 of 330 Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Everything is right in their website
post #288 of 330 Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everything is right in their website
Mind adding a link cuz I haven't been able to find them
post #289 of 330 Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Mind adding a link cuz I haven't been able to find them

Here you go!
http://www.standoutdesigns.com

The price of the stands is pretty much out the door + shipping. The only add-on option I had was $15 for different door handle hardware.

Also with regards to sales - they seem to run holiday sales pretty often. But not surprisingly the odd holidays actually looked to be a better deal than the big "shopping" holidays. I think Christmas/New Years was $179 off shipping. But then when they did MLK? Presidents Day? Whichever was mid-January, they upped it to $279 off I think.

Also, I called a few times with different questions/issues and their customer service over the phone was great. I didn't always get someone to answer when I called, but if I left a voicemail, they always called back within 24 hours and usually same day if the timezone difference allowed.
post #290 of 330 Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
post #291 of 330 Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Standout Designs just called me on Friday to let me know that my 82" Haven is ready to be shipped. My experience so far with the company has been great. Before I placed my order, I spoke with a rep on the phone and asked her if they had any sales coming up. She said that I could go ahead and order the stand, and if there were any sales before my stand shipped, they would give me the deal. Sure enough, I contacted them when I saw they were offering the shipping deal over President's Day weekend, and they happily applied the discounted price to my order.
post #292 of 330 Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone is interested, Standout Designs is offering 10% off between now and 3-31. Just use promo code "MM10" during checkout. smile.gif
post #293 of 330 Old 04-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Very poor picks does not do it justice

IMG_1316.JPG 1879k .JPG file

post #294 of 330 Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM

post #295 of 330 Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbender View Post

post #296 of 330 Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM

this thing is sooo nice and the cooling fans are silent

post #297 of 330 Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM

Yeah. They make what I would consider to be the best entertainment centers on the market.
Who can argue with "Solid Maple" "Solid Oak" etc.
The fans are inaudible, the construction is immaculate and the customer service is top notch.
If only I could find a car dealer with this level of service.

- John
post #298 of 330 Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I really want one in rosenut. Anyone now if they'll do it on anything else besides walnut? Don't really care which wood but not paying an extra grand for the finish.
post #299 of 330 Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM

Liked: 13
My Horizon is scheduled to be delivered Friday. Excited and hope it proves to be a good purchase!
post #300 of 330 Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are some photos of my 82" Haven. It's easily one of the nicest pieces of furniture I have ever purchased. I love the fact that it is on wheels. It makes it so easy to get behind the unit when you need to wire stuff up. The fact that you can completely remove each individual back section is a huge plus as well. Overall, it's just a very well thought out product that I highly recommend.

When I originally ordered the stand, I was planning on buying an 80-90" set. I wasn't happy with any of the TVs in that size, so I ended up buying a 70" Sharp Elite instead. With the 82" stand, I'll be ready to easily upgrade to something larger in the future. smile.gif

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Salamander Designs , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page