Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 330 Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

I will be ordering my stand from Standout Designs on Monday. I really want the Majestic, because the height is perfect, and I love the styling. But, my receiver with cable connections on back measure 22", so it looks like I need the extender. I only see the extender available on the Horizon. Does that mean I would be limited to selecting the Horizon?

Probably but you should call and ask just to double check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 330 Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I will be ordering my stand from Standout Designs on Monday. I really want the Majestic, because the height is perfect, and I love the styling. But, my receiver with cable connections on back measure 22", so it looks like I need the extender. I only see the extender available on the Horizon. Does that mean I would be limited to selecting the Horizon?

Remember that the backs are removable:
http://standoutdesigns.com/store/pc/...022-MC-bvd.jpg

As long the receiver will fit on the bottom shelf, you can remove the back to make room for the cables.

Cool Beans
post #93 of 330 Old 12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I just got my Cherry Majestic yesterday and am simply amazed with the fit and finish of this furniture. Absolutely amazing piece of gear! In order to get everything fit into my Yamaha RXV-1800 I did have to cram quite a bit of cable back there and basically wedge the back in, but it did all fit, and the look compared to the cheap open body stand I had before is simply night and day.

My wife spent many months looking at AV furniture. It is my opinion that 99% of the stuff out there is either cheaply built garbage designed to appeal to the AV crowd (many of the Chinese made Salamander stands fit into this category) or it is nice furniture that was built by someone who puts zero audio/video features into the product.

The Standout was the only product I found that married a high quality furniture product with the kind of audio video features that I was looking for.

I love it!

Now I just need to ditch the four+ year old Sony SXRD TV and get the 65" Plasma I've been drooling over.

Attachment 193524
Attachment 193525
LL
LL
post #94 of 330 Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The Standout was the only product I found that married a high quality furniture product with the kind of audio video features that I was looking for.

I love it!

I feel the same way. High-quality made furniture and its obvious they put some serious thought into optimizing it for AV gear. Glad you like your new Standout unit. I've had my N702+ for just about a year now and am still more than satisfied with it.
post #95 of 330 Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM

My Horizon N702 was just delivered today. I ordered mine with one extender and the fan package. Wish I had order the second extender just to keep the look the same. The shipping company was great, and this monster was packaged so well.

I am shocked at how nice this stand is, and I couldn't be happier. Everything is so well thought out. I was considering a BDI stand, but the quality of the Horizon is far superior.

Usually pictures on the Internet make things look so much better than they really are in person, but this looks better in person than the photo on their web site.

I have been purchasing quite a bit of equipment this month, and the customer service from SD is top notch.

I'll post pictures soon.
post #96 of 330 Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM

I have a Majestic Grand e7022 in Cinnamon Maple on order. I should get it the first week of January and can't wait! A good way to start the new year. I'll be sure to post pictures once it arrives.
post #97 of 330 Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:

My Horizon N702 was just delivered today.

I am shocked at how nice this stand is, and I couldn't be happier. Everything is so well thought out.

I'll post pictures soon.

I know what you mean. When I received my N702 I couldn't believe the quality. Nothing beats solid wood once you see it in person. If SD could get a contract with Best Buy they would be the top seller in AV furniture. Once you see the quality, the others fail in so many ways.

Then again, SD probably doesn't want to deal with the onerous terms of dealing with Best Buy.

Merry Christmas !

- John
post #98 of 330 Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

I know what you mean. When I received my N702 I couldn't believe the quality. Nothing beats solid wood once you see it in person. If SD could get a contract with Best Buy they would be the top seller in AV furniture. Once you see the quality, the others fail in so many ways.

Then again, SD probably doesn't want to deal with the onerous terms of dealing with Best Buy.

Merry Christmas !

I doubt they can handle that kind of volume. Once they go in that direction of mass manufacturing these stands will not have the craftsmanship we are all enjoying today.
post #99 of 330 Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

I doubt they can handle that kind of volume. Once they go in that direction of mass manufacturing these stands will not have the craftsmanship we are all enjoying today.

You make a good point. They would likely end up using particle board in all the wrong places which would bring them down to the level of the "other" stands.

- John
post #100 of 330 Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I did notice BDI's wood didn't feel like real wood at all.

home theater addict
post #101 of 330 Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 PM

I guess I'm just a bit curious as to why you would post a picture of a stand that is not Standout Designs in a Standout Designs thread ?

In any case, Merry Christmas.

- John
post #102 of 330 Old 12-24-2010, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
In reality it is quite stunning, but I couldn't capture as it is. After trying for half an hour, I just gave up. Also, considering its price, it is very easy to mod.

I'll try and see if I can capture it without the flash, but somehow I doubt I'll be able to recreate it on-screen.
post #103 of 330 Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 PM

Anybody on here have there tv mounted on the wall above there standout cabinet?
post #104 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Hi All,

I'm thinking to get a Standout Designs' Horizon stand, but I would like to get some additional information first and I would appreciate feedback from Horizon/Majestic owners, especially the ones that also have a Denon receiver :
* How tight the receiver fits in the stand? What is the clearance at the back with all cables attached?
* Does the temperature raise significantly with the doors closed under normal (e.g. -50dB to -40dB) and under loud (e.g. -18dB) conditions? I'll get the colling package, but I would like to ask the members that have one of these stands and a Denon receiver to put a thermometer/probe in the enclosure and to check how high it goes;
* How silent are the fans of the Whisper II package? I'm planning to get 4 fans and I would like to check whether their noise is noticeable in a quiet room.
* At what temperature the Whisper II fans will kick in?
* Are the vented glass shelves sturdy enough to hold a receiver?
* How you organized your power cords? I'm planning to use a surge protector and plug everything into it and I would like to keep it inside the stand. Any issues with this?
* Does anybody installed a sub in one of the enclosures? Any side effects?
* Any issues with Harmony One and the tinted glass panels on the doors?
* Anybody in Canada that ordered anything from Standout Designs? How was the customs (processing, fees, etc), the delivery, how long it took, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your time!

P.S. If this is not the right thread I would appreciate if you point me to the correct one.

Thanks!
post #105 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Liked: 16
Olbi,

As a Horizon stand (N702) and Denon receiver (2310ci) owner I'll try to answer as many questions as I can:

1. Tight. I've got it up about as far as it will go without hitting the glass and I have 5.5" in the back. Sounds like it's not too bad but if you have bulky cables it gets crowded real quick.

2. My "normal" conditions are -35dB to -25dB. Under those conditions the receiver does not feel very warm to the touch after four or five hours with an ambient temp of @ 70 degrees in the house. I've not felt it at higher volume levels as I usually don't go much higher for extended periods.

3. Can't comment as I don't have them.

4. Same as 3.

5. Not sturdy enough in my opinion. I wanted to put the receiver on the op shelf but after measuring, fixing the hardware, setting in the glass and putting the receiver on it, the hardware began to slightly back-out of the holes, not giving me much confidence in leaving it there. This is probably my only knock against the unit. Ideally the components that generate the most heat (amplifiers) would be located at the top since heat rises.

6. Cable ties (velcro) are your friend and there's an indented space in the center of the back of the cabinet that's big enough to fit two standard-sized power strips.

7. I have not and I'm not sure I would. It's not the best placement for good bass, it produces heat, it's heavy, and it introduces vibration.

8. No issues at all with my Harmony remote and the tinted glass.

9. I'm in the same state as the company so I can't comment on customs.

Bill
post #106 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks Bill!

I have 2311ci and I'm using an old 16" deep stand and it is really, really tight (no doors and partially open on the back)! So I think that 5.5" on the back should be enough, but I'll measure again how much space I'll really need.

If you manage without the fans, would you check how much is the temperature on top of the AVR after, say 1 hour of normal use? I usually don't listen at more than -30dB, but I want to have some room and I would like to know how hot it will go under "extreme" conditions. I had some issues with the 2311, which are, most probably due to overheating. Since then I re-arranged my components and I put a thermometer on the top of the AVR and now I'm measuring 90 degrees F after the first 20 min at 72 F room temperature.

Thanks again for your feedback! I just ordered wood samples since WAF is in order!
post #107 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

Hi All,

I'm thinking to get a Standout Designs' Horizon stand, but I would like to get some additional information first and I would appreciate feedback from Horizon/Majestic owners, especially the ones that also have a Denon receiver :
* How tight the receiver fits in the stand? What is the clearance at the back with all cables attached?
* Does the temperature raise significantly with the doors closed under normal (e.g. -50dB to -40dB) and under loud (e.g. -18dB) conditions? I'll get the colling package, but I would like to ask the members that have one of these stands and a Denon receiver to put a thermometer/probe in the enclosure and to check how high it goes;
* How silent are the fans of the Whisper II package? I'm planning to get 4 fans and I would like to check whether their noise is noticeable in a quiet room.
* At what temperature the Whisper II fans will kick in?
* Are the vented glass shelves sturdy enough to hold a receiver?
* How you organized your power cords? I'm planning to use a surge protector and plug everything into it and I would like to keep it inside the stand. Any issues with this?
* Does anybody installed a sub in one of the enclosures? Any side effects?
* Any issues with Harmony One and the tinted glass panels on the doors?
* Anybody in Canada that ordered anything from Standout Designs? How was the customs (processing, fees, etc), the delivery, how long it took, etc.?

Thank you in advance for your time!

P.S. If this is not the right thread I would appreciate if you point me to the correct one.

Thanks!

1. I don't own a Denon AVR (went with Harman Kardon) but its depth is probably pretty comparable to that of most mainstream AVR's. It would have definitely fit but would have been tight so I went with the extenders and glad I did. Its nice to have that extra space to work with, especially for the HDMI plugs, gives the receiver a little more room to breathe.
2. Temperature did seem to raise inside the cabinet significantly (AVR puts out a lot of heat) and the receiver definitely got hotter vs what it would normally get if it were in an open air type cabinet. I also had it sitting on the bottom shelf and since heat rises, this would also cause the components sitting above it to heat up. This all despite the presence of the whisper fans (would have been even hotter if I didn't have the fans). I didn't feel comfortable with my AVR (hot to the touch after a few hours inside the cabinet) and the other components being subjected to this amount of heat so I improvised. I bought an Antec notebook cooler (http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Notebook...5402877&sr=8-2), placed it upside down on top of the AVR, and that seems to keep the receiver (and the components above it) at a reasonable temperature. No issues so far after 1 year.
3. Fans are pretty quiet, I definitely don't hear them when any sort of audio is playing and when my system is off and the room is completely silent, if I listen carefully, then I may be able to hear them but its pretty minimal (and of course they shut off after a few minutes once I turn my system off and the components have cooled down). I wouldn't worry about potential fan noise at all, its a non issue.
4. I don't remember off-hand but I am fairly certain the temperature is listed on the website.
5. It depends on how much your AVR weighs. I believe the weight capacity is listed on the website.
6. I have far too many auido, video, data, and power cables to keep everything inside the cabinet. I do have a component-sized APC power conditioner/surge protector sitting on the right top shelf so lots of power cables feed into that but otherwise, I just made all the necessary connections then temporarily let the excess cabling/slack hang freely on the outside of the stand, then bundled it all up to make it look neat.
7. I would not recommend putting a sub inside the cabinet. Vibrations, heat, and diminished sound quality are just some reasons why I would avoid it. I do not believe subwoofers are designed to be placed inside small enclosures anyways.
8. I don't have a Harmony One but my universal remote has no issues with the tinted glass.
9. Sorry, I don't live in Canada.

If you haven't done so already, I would call Standout with any concerns you may have. They are really friendly and helpful and I know will be happy to answer any questions you have.
post #108 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Thanks Marty1781!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post

1. I don't own a Denon AVR (went with Harman Kardon) but its depth is probably pretty comparable to that of most mainstream AVR's. It would have definitely fit but would have been tight so I went with the extenders and glad I did. Its nice to have that extra space to work with, especially for the HDMI plugs, gives the receiver a little more room to breathe.

That's why I'm asking for - I'm wondering whether to get the extenders or not. As I posted above, currently I have a very narrow stand (16" open on the back) and it is really impossible to fit the AVR with all the cables on the back. I'll pull it out and I'll measure how much space I really need and then I'll decide on whether to get the extenders or not.

Quote:

4. I don't remember off-hand but I am fairly certain the temperature is listed on the website.

You are correct - I haven't checked the "Specifications" section. The fans will turn on at 88F and will turn off at 81F, i.e. they will work all the time in my case since mine doesn't stay lower than 88F for a long time.

Quote:

5. It depends on how much your AVR weighs. I believe the weight capacity is listed on the website.

According to the specifications the AVR is less than 24 pounds and should be perfectly OK on the vented shelf (which should carry 50 lbs.) but I wanted to hear feedback from the users

Quote:

6. I have far too many auido, video, data, and power cables to keep everything inside the cabinet. I do have a component-sized APC power conditioner/surge protector sitting on the right top shelf so lots of power cables feed into that but otherwise, I just made all the necessary connections then temporarily let the excess cabling/slack hang freely on the outside of the stand, then bundled it all up to make it look neat.

I'm looking around for a similar device. Which one do you have?

Quote:

7. I would not recommend putting a sub inside the cabinet. Vibrations, heat, and diminished sound quality are just some reasons why I would avoid it. I do not believe subwoofers are designed to be placed inside small enclosures anyways.

Thanks! I don't think that it is a good idea either, but my wife wants as clean setup as possible, so I thought that it is good to check for this option as well...

Quote:

If you haven't done so already, I would call Standout with any concerns you may have. They are really friendly and helpful and I know will be happy to answer any questions you have.

I probably will call them/send them an e-mail, but real life feedback is invaluable!

Thanks again!
post #109 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

Thanks Marty1781!
That's why I'm asking for - I'm wondering whether to get the extenders or not. As I posted above, currently I have a very narrow stand (16" open on the back) and it is really impossible to fit the AVR with all the cables on the back. I'll pull it out and I'll measure how much space I really need and then I'll decide on whether to get the extenders or not.

I'm looking around for a similar device. Which one do you have?

Thanks! I don't think that it is a good idea either, but my wife wants as clean setup as possible, so I thought that it is good to check for this option as well...

I probably will call them/send them an e-mail, but real life feedback is invaluable!

Thanks again!

1. You can always order the stand without the extenders and then if you end up needing them, you can order them later. I too was unsure whether to get them but I'm glad I did because I have a very extensive home theater setup and having that extra space made things so much easier in terms of setting up the wiring and getting back there whenever I needed to tweak my system.

2. I went with the APC H15: http://www.amazon.com/APC-H15BLK-1-5...5407030&sr=8-1
Depending on your home theater power requirements, the less expensive H10 may be an option for you also.

3. The nice thing about subs is that you can hide them in a corner or behind furniture and not suffer much of a loss in sound quality/bass. Of course, every room has a different sweet spot where the sub should be placed to maximize bass, but if you don't demand absolute audio perfection, you should have some flexibility as to placement of the sub to keep it out of sight while still experiencing good bass. Again though, I would just keep it out of the Standout cabinet.

4. Definitely give them a call (ask to speak with Alan). When I bought my N702+, they were extremely helpful on the phone and went above and beyond to answer all my questions. They take this stuff seriously and have a lot of knowledge about what is and is not possible/recommended with their stands.
post #110 of 330 Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks! In my case (Canada) the extenders will cost me at least an additional $100 to process the documents at the customs , so it would be good to decide beforehand.

I'll check the H15 and the H10, thanks!
post #111 of 330 Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM

I am in Canada and I purchased the majestic. When I added up all the options on the Horizon, it came close in price to the Majestic so I just went with that.

The fans are super quiet. I have to put my hand behind the unit to feel the air move otherwise I would not know they are on. I have a PVR that produces a lot of heat in the same compartment as my receiver and when I open the door and stick my hand in, its cool in there. I would not buy any closed cabinet audio/video furniture without fans.

As far as customs are concerned, I paid a $100 brokerage fee to a recommended broker and they took care of all of the paperwork etc. There is no duty because the product is made in the USA. All I had to pay on top of the purchase price was the $100 brokerage and federal/provincial taxes.

The whole process was smooth from start to finish. The unit is great and the company has great customer service. (I had a couple of minor issues and they took care of me right away).
post #112 of 330 Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks avsmesa!

How much in advance they called you? Before or after the broker cleared it from the customs?

What AVR do you have (if you don't mind, of course!). Is it possible to measure the temperature on top of if after an hour of normal work? Thanks!

I know that the Horizon with the fans and the vented shelves comes at the same price as the Majestic, but I'm looking at the Horizon line since I'll most probably go with the N572 since it is 57" wide and is a better fit for the space I have. If I go with the larger ones (either Horizon or Majestic) I'll have to find another place for the subwoofer or put it in one of the enclosures, which is not a good idea (but my wife likes it ).

[Edit] Another question: When you contacted the brokerage firm - before or after you ordered the stand? How much before/after?
post #113 of 330 Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM

I am currently shopping for an AVR , what is in there now is a HT in a box thing that I got free with my TV. (not worth mentioning).

As soon as the stand shipped I got a tracking number and tracked it all the way to the shippers warehouse in my town. The shipper then called me to arrange for an appointment.
If you use the recommended broker, you just call or email them before you order the unit and they will give you a form to fill out sign and fax back (including your credit card info ). Once you place your order with Standout, they send the invoice info to the broker which arranges the paperwork. When the shipment clears customs, the broker then charges your credit card for the taxes they paid to Canada customs on your behalf and their fee. That's it.
post #114 of 330 Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks avsmesa! Thanks for all your feedback!

I'm waiting for the samples to arrive to choose the colour.

Good luck with the AVR! I don't know what make you are looking for, but if you are looking for a Denon, there are tons of excellent information and a lot of help in the Receivers forum from forum members. I did a lot of research myself and I can point you to where to look in Canada. Send me a PM if you are interested.
post #115 of 330 Old 01-25-2011, 05:45 PM

After 8-10 months of dragging my feet on spending $2000 on a TV stand, I finally took the plunge today and ordered the Majestic Grand. I decided on the Espresso on Maple after hemming and hawing over the samples for a month. I really wanted to get the premium Walnut one, but just couldn't quite justify the additional $650 price.

Looking forward to it and I will post pictures once it gets here!
post #116 of 330 Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Can anyone with a Majestic Grand please let me know what its ground clearance is?

Thanks in advance
post #117 of 330 Old 01-31-2011, 08:24 AM

I just ordered the N702 in Espresso Maple, with the fans and cutout shelves. It's great to hear all of the excellent reviews here. I'll follow-up once I've received it and try and post some pics too. I, also, had considered the BDI cabinets but the lack of fans and fewer cutouts for circulation made the Standout the winning choice.

Also, they have a shipping discount (free standard shipping) and a free center speaker grill cover through today, 1/31/2011, which also helped seal the deal for me.
post #118 of 330 Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDaRed View Post
Can anyone with a Majestic Grand please let me know what its ground clearance is?

Thanks in advance
Give them a call if it is not on their Web site.
post #119 of 330 Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Standout Designs are replacing the Horizon N702 Plus with Horizon N702 XL (72" wide) and are having a sale on the N072 Plus with $200 off. This is almost as good as last month's deal ($100 off + free shipping). If you can accommodate a 70" stand this is a great deal.
post #120 of 330 Old 02-12-2011, 03:20 PM

^^^ This offer is even better now: Standout Designs have a $200 off on the black Horizon 702 Plus (70"), $100 off on the 57" Horizons, $120 on the 70" Majestic, etc. They also offer free shipping ($145 value) on all models $799 and above. See http://standoutdesigns.com/store/pc/showspecials.asp for all discounts.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Salamander Designs , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page