post #181 of 330 Old 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

Definitely ask for the wood samples! It really make a difference when you see them in person and try them under different light!

The gray glass is tinted with gray, but it looks more like black when the doors are closed.

Completely agree, the samples will tell you more than the pictures. The walnut is much darker than it appears in the pictures on the website. It very much matches the sample given though. Same for the maple, cherry etc. A bit darker than I expected.

Most of the finishes are very nice. The only one I am not a fan of is the black ash. The furniture is very nice and I couldn't be happier with it. It is much nicer than the BDI equivalent for similar price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 330 Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the Horizon 702XL about a month ago and my understanding is that the only difference between the XL and the original 702 is that the XL center section has been expanded by 2" to accommodate larger center channel speakers. The overall width is 72" vs 70". Call Standout to confirm, they are very helpful.

As to finish we ended up with the Espresso on Ash. The samples helped us a lot as we originally thought we wanted the Maple but liked the more prominent grain on the Ash. The pictures on the Standout web site show the Espresso as much darker than it is. It is actually a nice medium brown. See my picture below. We also got the smoked glass windows and while that hides the equipment somewhat it is hard to see the display information through them. I may replace with clear windows because of that. Still thinking about it.

I also ended up going back and ordering the rear extension module as there was not enough room to hook up my receiver (Pioneer SC-55) with the back on. The receiver fit but the cables stuck out too far pushing my thick HDMI cable out of position. The extension completely solved the problem and it is not visible from the front.

Overall a very high quality piece of furniture that we are very pleased with. Good luck in your decision.

Mark
LL
post #183 of 330 Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilbur View Post

I got the Horizon 702XL about a month ago and my understanding is that the only difference between the XL and the original 702 is that the XL center section has been expanded by 2" to accommodate larger center channel speakers. The overall width is 72" vs 70". Call Standout to confirm, they are very helpful.

As to finish we ended up with the Espresso on Ash. The samples helped us a lot as we originally thought we wanted the Maple but liked the more prominent grain on the Ash. The pictures on the Standout web site show the Espresso as much darker than it is. It is actually a nice medium brown. See my picture below. We also got the smoked glass windows and while that hides the equipment somewhat it is hard to see the display information through them. I may replace with clear windows because of that. Still thinking about it.

I also ended up going back and ordering the rear extension module as there was not enough room to hook up my receiver (Pioneer SC-55) with the back on. The receiver fit but the cables stuck out too far pushing my thick HDMI cable out of position. The extension completely solved the problem and it is not visible from the front.

Overall a very high quality piece of furniture that we are very pleased with. Good luck in your decision.

Mark

Wow, my espresso on ash wood sample was almost black. I might have gone that route instead of the walnut if I had seen a real world picture.
post #184 of 330 Old 01-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I have emailed them directly and they told me that they no longer make the Horizon 702 XL in Espresso Ash. The only Espresso finishes are the Maple and Oak. Sigh, I have a lot of furniture from West Elm with the dark Chocolate color and was hoping the Espresso samples that I received closely matches. But they seem more on the "warmer" side. I wanted a more cooler blackish/brown. I am ready to purchase but the color is making it much more difficult for me to choose. If worst comes to worst I'll get the Black on Oak. But ultimately I would love more of a dark chocolate color thats on the cooler side.

Does anyone here have the Horizon 702 XL stand in an Espresso Oak, Espresso Maple and Espresso Ash so I can see the color differences?

Thanks in advance! Also how long did it take for you guys to receive your stand and does it come fully installed?
post #185 of 330 Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiz View Post

Thanks for the input guys. I have emailed them directly and they told me that they no longer make the Horizon 702 XL in Espresso Ash. The only Espresso finishes are the Maple and Oak. Sigh, I have a lot of furniture from West Elm with the dark Chocolate color and was hoping the Espresso samples that I received closely matches. But they seem more on the "warmer" side. I wanted a more cooler blackish/brown. I am ready to purchase but the color is making it much more difficult for me to choose. If worst comes to worst I'll get the Black on Oak. But ultimately I would love more of a dark chocolate color thats on the cooler side.

Does anyone here have the Horizon 702 XL stand in an Espresso Oak, Espresso Maple and Espresso Ash so I can see the color differences?

Thanks in advance! Also how long did it take for you guys to receive your stand and does it come fully installed?

The delivery options do not include much in the way of installation unless you pay extra for white glove service. Even then, it is a 3rd party freight service so your mileage may very. The guys delivering mine helped me unbox and check for damage, which there are instructions to do before letting the freight company leave.

Here is a shot of the Horizon XL in walnut. Oak was not an available option when I ordered. I also got a much better deal than the current price, which has gone up again. I'm not sure what you mean by warm and cool for brown / chocolate, but this looks pretty chocolatey to me.

post #186 of 330 Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Liked: 11
Just received my N572 today. What a great piece of AV furniture!

2 issues:

I have a proplem using my remote through the smoked glass. It works fine head on, however, will not work on an angle. Is this normal with the smoked glass? I may need to swap out for the clear glass. Hopefully this isn't an issue with the clear glass?

The media doors don't close flush with the cabinet unless I actually force them. I called customer support and they indicated this was a know problem on some units. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for you help. (Hopefully I am in the right forum?)
post #187 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen Shot View Post

The media doors don't close flush with the cabinet unless I actually force them. I called customer support and they indicated this was a know problem on some units. Does anyone else have this issue?

I just thought this was the nature of that type of latch. Mine does the same thing. It doesn't take any more force than what I would call normal though.
post #188 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 08:01 AM

i've had the haven 82" since thanksgiving, and absolutely love it. the standout product is really top notch. from the beautiful finish to the thoughtfully designed back panels, it is really a great cabinet (although the plug/cable pass through cutout, while a great feature and accomodates my av gear, could be a little bigger). customer service was extremely helpful. they shipped out wood samples quickly and were very knowledgable about the product. i think the stains on the wood samples were a little darker than the final product (we did espresso on maple). but definitely gave us a good idea of the color and grain. even the freight company they work with was very helpful. they actually called to let me know the unit was in transit to them in order to set up a timeframe. i didn't have to chase after them which was nice!

the only minor glitch was the delivery itself. this is a really large piece of furniture. the mid level delivery option was for a driver to deliver and bring the haven into the house, including moving it up a few outdoor steps. well, this was way too big for a handtruck of any sort, so the driver and i had to carry it in. not a big deal but i had paid a little extra for delivery so i didn't have to deal with that. i called standout to let them know the midlevel delivery by driver was really not feasible with the haven unit. they said it was a relatively new model and they didn't think that would be an issue. they apologized for the inconvenience and credited me for the extra shipping cost. they also added this info to their website to alert customers to the potential issue. on top of the sale price and discounted shipping, it really made this a great deal. cheaper than the salamander unit i was designing, and much nicer quality to boot.

i'll post some pics in the coming days. but can't speak highly enough of the product quality and customer service of this company. highly recommend!!
post #189 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post

I just thought this was the nature of that type of latch. Mine does the same thing. It doesn't take any more force than what I would call normal though.

The problem with my unit was the latch was so tight you could pull the console across the floor trying to open the drawer. The only way to open the drawer was to put one hand behind the unit to prevent moving, and YANK with the other.

I called customer service and they instructed me to take the drawers out and vertically compress the plastic stopper in the back of the drawer using a pair of pliers.

Although this has made the drawers managable, they are still way too stiff. Maybe they will loosen up with time?

My other issue with the gray glass in the doors is that my Verizon Fios remote will not work unless I am using it at approx 90 degree angle to the component. Any angle more than 10 degrees left or right and it will not work. Customer support has agreed to send me clear replacement glass.

I am very satisfied with the overall look, build quality and features of this console. The price was also reasonable, expecially with the sale and free shipping. I am also satisfied with the customer service. However, I am disappointed with the quality control (in regards to the latches). Furniture should not leave the factory with this defect. I am also disappointed that the website does not mention any potential issues with the gray glass and remote control use.

Now I am off to look at some new speakers.
post #190 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Liked: 13
Good info - I think the last 2 posts convinced me to save my $2K for now.
post #191 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The problem with my unit was the latch was so tight you could pull the console across the floor trying to open the drawer. The only way to open the drawer was to put one hand behind the unit to prevent moving, and YANK with the other.

I called customer service and they instructed me to take the drawers out and vertically compress the plastic stopper in the back of the drawer using a pair of pliers.

Although this has made the drawers managable, they are still way too stiff. Maybe they will loosen up with time?

My other issue with the gray glass in the doors is that my Verizon Fios remote will not work unless I am using it at approx 90 degree angle to the component. Any angle more than 10 degrees left or right and it will not work. Customer support has agreed to send me clear replacement glass.

I am very satisfied with the overall look, build quality and features of this console. The price was also reasonable, expecially with the sale and free shipping. I am also satisfied with the customer service. However, I am disappointed with the quality control (in regards to the latches). Furniture should not leave the factory with this defect. I am also disappointed that the website does not mention any potential issues with the gray glass and remote control use.

Now I am off to look at some new speakers.

Do you have the Haven or the Horizon XL? I don't seem to have any of the issues described with 4-5 different remotes they all work with the dark glass. The doors on the Horizon have a press to open / close magnetic latch. It is the nature of the clasp.
post #192 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post

Good info - I think the last 2 posts convinced me to save my $2K for now.

I doubt any alternative would be completely satisfactory if this is enough to discourage you.
post #193 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 03:57 PM

IMHO, a $2000 piece of furniture should be flawless.
post #194 of 330 Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would say my piece is flawless compared to everything else out there at the same price point. There is really is no such thing as "flawless." Look at what BDI is selling for $2K.
post #195 of 330 Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Just received my N572 today. What a great piece of AV furniture!

2 issues:

I have a proplem using my remote through the smoked glass. It works fine head on, however, will not work on an angle. Is this normal with the smoked glass? I may need to swap out for the clear glass. Hopefully this isn't an issue with the clear glass?

Thanks for you help. (Hopefully I am in the right forum?)

I have the N572 as well: the drawer latch needs some force to open and close, but I actually like it this way since my kid cannot open the drawers (and eventually squeeze it's fingers in after that!). Note that you can "lock" the unit in place, so you'll not pull it when you are trying to open the drawers (not that mine is locked , but this might help).

As for the smoked glass: no issues at all! If your device is properly positioned (i.e. the IR is not obscured by the frame of the door and nothing is shining in the IR) it should work, but you can easily check with the glass removed to verify whether the problem is with the glass at all.

Hope this helps.
post #196 of 330 Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

The Standout Design's furniture are the best entertainment furniture I've seen. It is waaaay better than everything else I saw in person and it is the only one that looks better in person than on the picture!

Also, in case there is problem (I've seen/had issues only with parts they haven't manufactured), they are working hard to resolve them to your full satisfaction.
post #197 of 330 Old 01-09-2012, 04:30 AM

^^^
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it..

My sole remaining concern is delivery. Simply stated, I don't know how I'd get the Standout Designs furniture downstairs to my basement where my HT is located. Seeing how they're all wood, they're probably heavy (a good thing), so I couldn't move it myself. I doubt a freight truck driver would help, and that white glove service is almost $300.

Any advice?

Thanks!
post #198 of 330 Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:

^^^

My sole remaining concern is delivery. Simply stated, I don't know how I'd get the Standout Designs furniture downstairs to my basement where my HT is located. Seeing how they're all wood, they're probably heavy (a good thing), so I couldn't move it myself. I doubt a freight truck driver would help, and that white glove service is almost $300.

Any advice?

Thanks!

You'd be amazed at how much help a freight truck driver will be with a few $20's waved in his face
post #199 of 330 Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 AM

@wilbur_the_goose: Yes, they are heavy. Mine came with all the glass in a separate package, which was very heavy, but you can move them one by one.

I would call Standout and ask them about the weight of the furniture you choose without the drawers and all the glass and whether the driver will help in your case (I guess they are using different delivery companies and they'll know which one will deliver to your case). Before I purchased mine, I called them 3 times and I asked all sorts of questions that were important to me and they were very friendly and helpful.

Hope this helps.
post #200 of 330 Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

You'd be amazed at how much help a freight truck driver will be with a few $20's waved in his face

he, heeee. How true that is. They can be like zombies till you get to waving. One time I gave a tip for both drivers who delivered a pinball game, to the one guy who had me sign the invoice (the other guy had gone to the truck to wait). I imagined the one who got the money saying to the other. "Cheap &@*^% he didn't even give a tip" and keeping the it for himself.

Moral of the story: Waving can bring out the worst in folks too (lol).
post #201 of 330 Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^^

Any advice?

Thanks!

Have them deliver to a room upstairs, like the living room / kitchen / hallway, which they may do at the cheaper service and then have a friend help you carry it downstairs. But you can always ask when the freight drivers are there, and then tip them.
post #202 of 330 Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

The Standout Design's furniture are the best entertainment furniture I've seen. It is waaaay better than everything else I saw in person and it is the only one that looks better in person than on the picture!

I agree!

However, I wish Standout would upgrade the hardware (hinges, drawer pulls, etc.), or offer an additional cost upgrade option.

I am currently looking at options to upgrade the doors to something like this. Please let me know if any handy folks on this forum can make some recommendations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4g0O...eature=related
post #203 of 330 Old 01-10-2012, 05:33 PM

Home Depot has hinges that work like (they are different, but provide the same "soft closing") as well as "adapters" that you can add to existing drawers, doors, etc. IKEA also has "soft closing" hinges for their kitchens.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I, personally, like the hinges on the Horizon better, but I agree that the "soft closing" looks really cool and having them as an option would be great.
post #204 of 330 Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm about ready to pick up a Majestic e7022 but was wondering how visible the wheel are on hardwood? Are they adjustable? Just have to wait for a decent sale on shipping or maybe some new colors for 2012...

65VT50
NR809
TSI500
CS20
RC85i
SB13 Ultra
post #205 of 330 Old 01-16-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korn646 View Post

I'm about ready to pick up a Majestic e7022 but was wondering how visible the wheel are on hardwood? Are they adjustable? Just have to wait for a decent sale on shipping or maybe some new colors for 2012...

Taken right from their website in the description of the Majestic

Hidden Wheels and Levelers
The Grand's stylish brushed nickel feet feature concealed wheels to assist in moving the cabinet forward and backward for convenient equipment access from the rear. Plus, levelers adjustable from inside the cabinet make leveling on floors easier.
post #206 of 330 Old 01-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Ouch and I thought I had read everything there!

Edit: it looks like the wheels are fixed, according to them... it's just the levelers that are adjustable.

My main question was to see how how high it was off the floor.

65VT50
NR809
TSI500
CS20
RC85i
SB13 Ultra
post #207 of 330 Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Just ordered the Majestic in Cinnamon - will post pics when it comes in! Have to say they were very helpful when I called!

65VT50
NR809
TSI500
CS20
RC85i
SB13 Ultra
post #208 of 330 Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:

Edit: it looks like the wheels are fixed, according to them... it's just the levelers that are adjustable.

Well the overall height is 22" and the inside of the enclosure measures 18", figuring 1/2" to 3/4" solid wood top and bottom, my guess would be 2.5" to 3" off the floor.
post #209 of 330 Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Give Standout Designs a call and ask - they were very helpful answering all my questions.
post #210 of 330 Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I planning on getting LG's 84" 4k set when it comes out this year. For a stand I am looking at the Haven 82" that's currently on sale. My concern is that the 26 1/4" high stand is to high as the center of the screen will be above eye level while seated. Anyone with a large screen and that stand please give me your opinion and thanks.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Salamander Designs , Sony , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page