AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Flat Panels General and OLED Technology (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-flat-panels-general-oled-technology/)
-   -   Standout Designs picture thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-flat-panels-general-oled-technology/1173635-standout-designs-picture-thread.html)

PhantomOG 08-24-2009 03:36 PM

Can owners of Standout Designs TV stands post some pictures of their setups here?

I'm strongly considering the Majestic Grand e7022 and would love to see any pictures of it, and Standout Designs quality in general. I've been looking for a tv stand for what seems like forever.

Thanks!

maxdog03 08-24-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOG View Post

Can owners of Standout Designs TV stands post some pictures of their setups here?

I'm strongly considering the Majestic Grand e7022 and would love to see any pictures of it, and Standout Designs quality in general. I've been looking for a tv stand for what seems like forever.

Thanks!

Dang, that's one spendy stand but looks very nice. Similar to Salamander stands and appears to be of pretty high quality. I assume you've looked at the picture they have on their website with a TV mounted on it. What TV do you have and what kind of wood you looking to get?

Mikeoz 08-25-2009 07:59 AM

I posted some in the flat panel stand thread. Note, the color/white balance is a little f'ed up in my shots, I apologize.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16710111

PhantomOG 08-25-2009 08:13 AM

Thank you so much for the pictures Mike!

I have a 52" Sony LCD and would be getting either Black, or the Espresso options. I'm leaning towards the Espresso Maple. Is that the Maple wood?

I have older Polk RTi70's, CSi40 for the front speakers. Would like to slide my center into that drawer.

Mike,
Can you comment on the quality of the hinges and drawer sliders? Do they have a 'soft' landing? How about the fans? Are they loud? Based on the picture date, you haven't had it too long, but how is it holding up? Based on the price, I'd expect/require this thing to last forever.

In the picture with the fan, what is the wood piece? A shelf? It did come with ventilated glass shelves, correct? Or is that the back plate?

Was setting up your gear difficult? I assume you put your components in, pulled wires, and then had to shift the entire unit back slightly correct? I will also have the unit against a wall on carpeted floor as well. Where are the hidden wheels located? Inside the posts on the bottom? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks again!

EDIT: sorry just read some of your thoughts in the other thread. Please ignore my redundant questions.

Mikeoz 08-25-2009 08:38 AM

No problem at all with the questions.. I was in the same boat when I was looking for a stand.

I opted for the cinnamon on maple (the color is actually VERY close to the polk rti speakers), with the smoked glass (I'm very happy I chose this, as the components don't stand out behind the glass). To be honest, it's hard for me to comment on the quality of the hinges/slides, as my carpentry knowledge is not all that. Based on how they "feel" though, I'd say they are very solid/good work. They don't feel cheap by any means, and are very sturdy/stable.

Regarding the picture with the fan, the wood pieces are one "section" of the wood backing. For example, the backing of the stand is composed of 3 vertical "sections" per say. One on each side where the shelves are, and one section where the middle drawers are. The fan and wood piece in the picture are the wood pieces from one "section," specifically, the one behind the glass shelving section. The "section" is composed of the two pieces shown in the picture; a smaller wood piece that goes on the top and has the fan mounted to it, and the bigger wood piece that goes below it. I just wanted to show that they're nicely finished and easily removable.

Yes, the glass shelves are both "vented" with a hole in the middle. It's nice to report that the fans are dead silent (I can't hear them at all). Also, they do a good job keeping the components at a happy temperature. If you can see in the picture, I have a ps3 and receiver in the right shelves. With the fans on in the rear (they're temp controlled, so they kick on and off automatically), the ps3 fan speed never gets very high (I have a 40gb version). There's a front vent in the front of each side of the stand, which is where the "intake" is for each side of the cabinet (of course the exhaust is the fan in the rear). Very nice design.

Setup is very easy. There is actually an abundance of space/holes to run wires/cables within the stand (this was something I was concerned about as pictures were hard to tell). Also, there are wheels in the "centerish" of the unit (they're not in the posts but next to them), which makes it relatively easy to "pull out" from time to time if I need to adjust some cables. The wheels share the load of the stand, but you can't visibly see them unless you get on the floor. Again, it's a very nice touch.

All in all, I'm very happy with the stand. I certainly hope/expect it to last a lifetime as well, or I'll be very disappointed. With proper care, I don't see why it wouldn't (hell, a lot of cheap furniture can last a long time if well cared for). The reason I opted for the stand was because it had everything I wanted (I couldn't find anything else with this nice low profile (tv sits at perfect eye level), yet had a big space for a center channel, was wide enough, had enough space for components/etc.). There's no doubt it's a little pricey (which is what had me hesitate at first), but I plan on keeping it forever. Best of luck with your decision.

PhantomOG 08-25-2009 09:16 AM

Thanks for the answers. I also have a PS3 (original 60GB) that sounds like an airplane taking off. My current stand has the backing removed, with glass doors in front. I'm hoping the fans on this unit will help the PS3 from getting too loud. I currently have my PS3 on the same side as and above the receiver. I'll probably switch it to the other side in hopes of less heat.

My Polks are black cabinets so I imagine black might look best, however, I do love the look of the Maple wood. My center channel is what has kept me from buying anything for so long, and this cabinet would hold it perfectly.

I'm all about function over form, so if it were completely up to me, I'd already have this ordered. However, I need to get 'approval' from my better half so we'll see. Its hard to convince her to drop that much money on a piece of furniture sight unseen. Hopefully your pictures will help. I've ordered the wood samples and will prepare a presentation for the wife once I get it. *fingers crossed*

motoman 08-25-2009 10:25 AM

I almost ordered a Standout stand this last week while they were on sale with free shipping. I was trying to decide between a N701 and the Majestic Grand. I like the low profile on the N701 but like some of the options with the grand also. By the time I buy the shelf & fan option for the N701 I'll only be at $300 or so difference.

The stand I have now is 19" tall so going to a higher stand concerns me because I'm getting a bigger TV also Decisions,decisions

From everything I've read you'd be getting a quality cabinet with any of the Standout units.

Good luck.

Jim

Mikeoz 08-25-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

I've ordered the wood samples and will prepare a presentation for the wife once I get it. *fingers crossed*

LOL.. That's too funny. Fortunately we needed a stand, and I really couldn't find anything I liked that "fit the bill," so the wife didn't mind. Their free shipping promo is what really got me to pull the trigger, and compared to other exepensivish stands (like some Avions), I think it's priced very fairly. If you need any other pictures, shoot me a msg, and I can try and snap a few for you one of these days. Good luck convincing the wife!

dc_pilgrim 09-03-2009 07:48 AM

FYI - A little bird told me the free ship sale is coming back tomorrow through Tuesday.

motoman 09-03-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

FYI - A little bird told me the free ship sale is coming back tomorrow through Tuesday.

I was just wondering about this the other day.

Thanks,

Jim

HDTV19 09-03-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

I bought the N701 (black)... It's the best piece of furniture I own... Absolutely no re-regrets and the customer service is excellent.

dc_pilgrim 09-04-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV19 View Post

I bought the N701 (black)... It's the best piece of furniture I own... Absolutely no re-regrets and the customer service is excellent.

What are your impression of the glide leveler feet? I'd prefer casters, which the more expensive ones have, but at the end of the day as long as I can move it without scratching the wood floor I guess it could be fine.

sanhacker 09-04-2009 04:41 PM

I just received my N702 in Espresso over Maple this week.

Still painting the room it will end up in but I can include some pictures as it sits in my kitchen.

Initial impression, WOW!

Much better than anything I've been able to find locally. Not only is it solid wood throughout, but the fit and finish is frankly stunning. The doors use Salice Euro Style concealed hinges which are of top quality. If I was to split hairs I notice the drawers use rabbet joints rather than dovetails but that's a nit. The top shelf is held on via screws in pocket holes so they are out of sight.

As for the fans, I must have missed it on their web site but they are temperature controlled by a thermal sensor. I plan on putting this sensor above my PS3 on one side and above my AVR on the other. Since both run hot, I tried out the fans while holding the temp sensors between my fingers. They spun up and were inaudible. Well see if that holds true when it's all said and done. I was curious where the air came in but you can see the two vents which sit on the bottom front, right behind the closed door. Seems like airflow should be adequate.

Anyway, here are some pics....

HDTV19 09-04-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

What are your impression of the glide leveler feet? I'd prefer casters, which the more expensive ones have, but at the end of the day as long as I can move it without scratching the wood floor I guess it could be fine.

Mine is on the carpet, so I can't really comment on the glide leveler feet, and it weighs a ton. I've never tipped it sideways to check out the bottom. I bought the fans and vented shelves and originally had the glass on the doors, but replaced them with the fabric grills, so now they match the speakers.

Don't laugh at the TV, that's next on the list...
LL
LL

dc_pilgrim 09-07-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Mine is on the carpet, so I can't really comment on the glide leveler feet, and it weighs a ton. I've never tipped it sideways to check out the bottom. I bought the fans and vented shelves and originally had the glass on the doors, but replaced them with the fabric grills, so now they match the speakers.

Don't laugh at the TV, that's next on the list...

Looks great. We will likely be getting the same in expresso today or tomorrow.

drmodem 09-13-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Err! By the time I got the samples in the mail (today), the free shipping promo was over. Any chance that 'little bird' might talk again about a future promo? I am going to wait as with the shipping cost and me wanting the Majestic Grand e7022 to support my new Samsung 55, the price is over what I'm willing to part with.

motoman 09-13-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmodem View Post

Err! By the time I got the samples in the mail (today), the free shipping promo was over. Any chance that 'little bird' might talk again about a future promo? I am going to wait as with the shipping cost and me wanting the Majestic Grand e7022 to support my new Samsung 55, the price is over what I'm willing to part with.

I'm ready for another sale also. I was going to get one ordered last week and didn't find a TV in stock so I waited. Now I'm ready and no sales...

Jim

dc_pilgrim 09-13-2009 03:02 PM

I think they like money just like you and me. I'd just send them an e-mail and ask if they will grandfather you into the promotion in order to close the sale.

Of course my tv is here, but the add on drawer is back ordered. Aargh.

EDIT - shipping today 9/16 - will be here tomorrow.

maxdog03 09-13-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmodem View Post

I would call them up and explain what happened and that you were ready to order one with the free shipping included but wanted to see the wood samples before placing the order. They shoulkd have a record of you ordering the samples. Worst they can tell you is no, which is where you are at now. Companies are hungry for a sale now days so they may extend it for you.

HDTV19 09-15-2009 09:12 AM

Based on my experience with them, I'd be very surprised if they didn't do something for you... ie. concerning the shipping...

PhantomOG 09-15-2009 09:30 AM

Well, thanks for everyone's input. Based on people's reviews here and their great customer service so far, I placed an order last week. My Majestic Grand e7022 will be here this later this week.

If the product is anything like their service I'm sure I'll be pleased. I'll try to post up pics when I finally get it in place and my gear all settled.

HDTV19 09-16-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Its hard to convince her to drop that much money on a piece of furniture sight unseen. *fingers crossed*

I thought the same thing before I bought, but was very pleasantly surprised on the quality. Also, the packaging is first rate.

I just recently bought the front grill for the centre channel, which I think gives the front a clean look, especially since I have the fabric in the doors.

motoman 09-16-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

I thought the same thing before I bought, but was very pleasantly surprised on the quality. Also, the packaging is first rate.

I just recently bought the front grill for the centre channel, which I think gives the front a clean look, especially since I have the fabric in the doors.

Do your remotes work with the fabric doors. It does make for a clean looking setup.

Thanks,

Jim

HDTV19 09-16-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

Do your remotes work with the fabric doors. It does make for a clean looking setup.

My remotes work fine... I use the Directv remote as well as an old Harmony 880.

They've changed the fans to much quieter models then the ones I originally bought. Two of my 4 fans were actually pretty quiet, but they sent me two of the new fans free of charge. They move a little less air, but are dead silent. I also removed the jumper in the fan module, so that they only come on after reaching a certain temperature. Before, they were constantly running on low, and would kick to high when necessary.

dc_pilgrim 09-17-2009 09:23 PM

My horizon (N701) stand arrived today. Its really nice, worth the price. I'll post pics over the weekend. I have a salamander Synergy stand that its replacing, and I must say, its a nicer piece. I went with the extra drawer which is worth it if you don't need the spot for a center channel. Our den, due to an open layout makes surround sound and sleeping kids incompatible, so we skipped it. Hopefully I'll remedy it in the future basement build.

PhantomOG 09-22-2009 02:47 PM

My Majestic Grand e7022 arrived last Friday. Finally got it setup and in place with all my gear late on Sunday. I'm extremely pleased with it. Build quality is top notch, all the way around. The cooling fans are fantastic, they move lots of air and are extremely quiet. I'm much less worried about my Dish DVR and PS3 overheating now.

The hidden wheels on the bottom of the unit are a real gem. On carpet, with a 52" LCD, receiver, PS3, DVR, bunch of DVD's in the bottom drawer, and a large center channel in the upper drawer, I'm still able to slide the unit forward and backwards by myself. I can't tell you the number of times I considered changing something in my home theater setup only to give up without even trying because I didn't want to call a friend over to help me move my old tv stand in and then back out again.

I've finally tamed the wire monster behind the TV as well. The numerous wire chase holes have allowed me to clean up considerably.

The drawers and doors were aligned perfectly. The unit was packed very very well. Now that I have the unit I can say it was worth the money 100%. Any questions/hiccups/issues/etc I had were dealt with quickly and satisfactorily with great customer service. Can't speak highly enough about my entire purchase experience.

motoman 10-05-2009 07:04 PM

Ordered a Horizon N701 tonight in black with the gray glass and the shelf and fan kit. Been looking at these since last Christmas and finally pulled the trigger tonight. They are having a big sale on some of their units and also have free shipping. It was enough to get me into the Standout club

Can't wait to check it out .

Jim

sanhacker 10-06-2009 08:13 AM

Best of luck.
I have the N702 and couldn't be happier.
Well, I would be happier if I could decide on a new TV.
Currently I have a 40 inch LCD from my bedroom sitting on the stand.
Looking for a 55 inch or larger.

motoman 10-06-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanhacker View Post

Best of luck.
I have the N702 and couldn't be happier.
Well, I would be happier if I could decide on a new TV.
Currently I have a 40 inch LCD from my bedroom sitting on the stand.
Looking for a 55 inch or larger.

I'm in the same dilema. Sold my 50" plasma 5 weeks ago and haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I''m watching my 40" LCD also. At least I made a decision on a stand

Jim

motoman 10-12-2009 08:56 AM

My N701 came in on Friday. I had the unit shipped to work so I would not have to take a day off to receive it. The Conway driver was cool and gave me all the time I needed to inspect it. The shipping carton was in pristine condition and I could tell by all the packing I was in good shape. Excellent packaging.

All I can say about the stand is WOW These really are well made and well thought out stands. I bought the extra cooling kit with the fans and glass shelf's. I have a big Polk CS400i center channel speaker so I took the botton drawer out and lowered the center shelf to fit the speaker in. I then put my HD-XA2 HD-DVD player below it.

I'll take some pictures once I get my new TV.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. If you want to spend a little extra and get a quality stand made in the USA that you can use for years to come these are an excellent choice. Excellent customer service and a quality product make me a haappy guy. Now if I can just pick out my TV

Jim