Kuro 500M burn in experience? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you have a KURO and your IR/Burn-in is only visible on a black screen and is negative (burn-in area is darker than normal) then you may also try a light halftone aging screen (<10%) for a very long period of time if the full white does not work.

Sorry for the tech jargon but KURO technology is extremely unique in that individual pixels use space discharge when in MLL mode and switch to surface discharge when in no-signal mode or when displaying something other than MLL.

I have actually purposefully created short term IR on my 141FD that is only visible on MLL and disappears when in no-signal mode, then reappears when switched back to MLL mode. It is extremely cool effect to watch

Note that KURO also has a very non-uniform MLL where in general the centre of the screen is much darker than the borders and the entire array of pixels is speckled. This seems almost intrinsic to the design. This in combination with the very low MLL will exaggerate any 4:3 or 16:9 IR/burn in on a totally black screen.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert2413 View Post

I have a Pioneer 141, 5020, and 500M. So far, I have not experienced IR, let alone burn-in, on any of them. I use them sanely (I make sure that I don't watch 2:35:1 or 4:3 video all the time) but do not treat them with kid gloves.

And this is why I bought an LCD two years ago. I like to go INSANE with my TV.

I'll watch whatever format from whatever input device for as long as I want at eye burning brightness and contrast!!! I must be crazy!

I'll pause Tivo and go to bed! Nuts, I tells ya, Nuts!

I just don't like my TV telling me what to watch.
post #33 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

You forgot to add LED backlit LCD with Local dim to that list for the burn-in section.

Thanks I also realize I have the probability reversed. I'll edit the post.

post #34 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

joeblow, there are a number of quality 32" and 37" 60Hz, 1080p LCD HDTVs below $600 from Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic. The best deals IMHO are from watching the sales on these three brands, at Fry's or Best Buy. You can also try the local Costco or Sam's, but I reccomend avoiding off brand electronics at those stores.

For anybody with a confirmed interest in Blu-Ray, I like to reccomend 1080p over 720p. The value is highest for 60Hz-only Blu-Ray players and 60Hz HDTVs.

For a 42" set you will have to go with $740-$800 for a name brand IMHO. If you go with a lower quality off-brand, maybe not. But if you have a problem, you will be better off with a major brand.

The ultimate blacks in that price range would be a 42" 720p plasma for a sale price about fifty more than you want to spend, but with burn-in concerns.

Thanks. From what I've read, 1080P doesn't look differently than 720P if your screen size, viewing distance (and eyesight ) aren't all up to snuff. I think they can get by with 720P since they will often be about 12 feet away from the 42" screen.

I'll recommend a Samsung/Sony/Panny plasma to them.... I hope burn-in won't be a significant issue (I haven't kept up with the latest advancements).

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #35 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a 500M. I never stretch the picture, I watch everything in its OAR, and I don't use the pixel orbitor. Never have I noticed IR/burn-in while watching something, nor do I worry about it ever appearing.

The day that it emerges - if that day ever comes - is the day that I'll start getting concerned.
post #36 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyotousa View Post

Does that mean I can fix my current plasma? How long are you suppose to leave on the white screen? 100hr is way too long.

A full screen aging will only reverse short or long term image retention and not phosphor wear. Since there is no definitive way of knowing the exact cause of your ghost image I would recommend that you try it. 100hours is what Samsung used.

post #37 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Still, that means that the set is "under repair" and unavailable for use, for over 4 days. While it might cure the problem, the cure is IMHO unacceptable as a remedy because it constitutes an loss of service for the device being "repaired".

It just seems to me that (while anybody has any right to any preference in video technology whatsoever) that the owners of Plasma displays sacrifice too much convenience, and are forced to think all the time about how they are using their sets, which is a Plasma-related hassle that LCD panel owners simply don't have.

I love the fact that (I've talked about this before, I know) I was able to move my home office temporarily to my family room while I was wheelchair bound following surgery, and was able to plug in my LCD and throw a Microsoft Office E-mail screen up there at a brightness level suitable to reading E-Mail in full sunlight, without any damage whatsoever for 5+ weeks. If my set had been a Plasma, I either would not have been free to do what I just described, or I would still see the unchanging format of that E-Mail window burned into my screen.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #38 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the owners of Plasma displays sacrifice too much convenience

Some do, and some don't.

Exactly how do those who don't worry about it, don't take steps to avoid it and never encounter it sacrifice convenience?
post #39 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Ah, so plasmas still require attention... I'll tell him to go with LCD. Thanks.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #40 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

Still, that means that the set is "under repair" and unavailable for use, for over 4 days. While it might cure the problem, the cure is IMHO unacceptable as a remedy because it constitutes an loss of service for the device being "repaired".

It just seems to me that (while anybody has any right to any preference in video technology whatsoever) that the owners of Plasma displays sacrifice too much convenience, and are forced to think all the time about how they are using their sets, which is a Plasma-related hassle that LCD panel owners simply don't have.

I love the fact that (I've talked about this before, I know) I was able to move my home office temporarily to my family room while I was wheelchair bound following surgery, and was able to plug in my LCD and throw a Microsoft Office E-mail screen up there at a brightness level suitable to reading E-Mail in full sunlight, without any damage whatsoever for 5+ weeks. If my set had been a Plasma, I either would not have been free to do what I just described, or I would still see the unchanging format of that E-Mail window burned into my screen.

If it can survive logo IR or burn in and 2:35:1 burn in...then that's all i need.

I think keyboard in the living room just plain eh. However, right now I am worry about not been able to move the TV after I move to other states. which might be happen soon. So...i donno.
But this is like the one and only chance to get the Kuro ........decision decision....
post #41 of 64 Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:

In the past 5 years I have had 4 sets in my house and two have been " under repair" and they were both an LCD (one Panasonic that was gone for over 2 weeks and a Samsung that was laid up for 5 days and both were fortunately fixed under warrantyas the Samsung had an extended warranty on it). The plasma, which is the second oldest set, hasn't had an issue and I watch what I want and how I want without a worry. It's also the best picture in the house and in the room with the most windows.
post #42 of 64 Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone got their K500m calibrated? How much is it?
post #43 of 64 Old 09-03-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

It depends on how involved of a calibration you're getting, but figure anywhere from $250-$450 depending on the details.
post #44 of 64 Old 09-04-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I've had my 6020 for about 10 months and have done all but abuse the thing.

No burn-in, or IR. And I'm certain that if it ever does appear, it'll prolly be on someone else's wall cause I haven't kept the same TV for over 5 years in my life.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #45 of 64 Old 09-05-2009, 09:22 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post

Never seen a hint of image retention on my 5020FD, and that's with extended videogame sessions and 2:35:1 blu-rays. IR on a Kuro only comes from carelessness and I've yet to see burn in on a 9g--probably never going to happen in "normal" use.

Let me ask what is "carelessness" to you? I know that my habits would be considered careless with a plasma. I don't want to think about such things, I just want to sit down turn it on and watch, anything in anyway I choose and not worry about BI or IR which is the same.

In the OP's original question he outlined several things that would contribtue to burn in on any PDP. Seems that if his habits are watching such stuff that will do this maybe he is better off with an LCD.
post #46 of 64 Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But this is like the one and only chance to get the Kuro ........decision decision....

On the other hand the supply is getting lower and lower. If you are going to do it, do it now.
post #47 of 64 Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

In fact, nobody knows how well the plasma burn-in problem has been addressed by the manufacturers. Nobody, not one single user, can possibly have enough hours of usage on any recent Pioneer plasma set to say the problem does not exist. The plasma manufacturers take advantage of the fact that plasmas with enough accumulated hours to suffer burn-in are always out of warranty by two or more years. They tell users not to worry and they always exclude burn-in from warranty coverage as well. There is no downside for them when they do this.

My own comfort level is enhanced by owning an LCD. I haave used both PC and a PS-3 game console with my LCD and I never worry about burn-in.

Haha, contradicting yourself is a problem isn't it? You can't possibly have accumulated enough hours on your lcd to say that the problem of burn in isn't a possibility. I use my 360, ps3, watch blu-rays constantly on my 5020 and I NEVER worry about image retention.
post #48 of 64 Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post

Let me ask what is "carelessness" to you? I know that my habits would be considered careless with a plasma. I don't want to think about such things, I just want to sit down turn it on and watch, anything in anyway I choose and not worry about BI or IR which is the same.

In the OP's original question he outlined several things that would contribtue to burn in on any PDP. Seems that if his habits are watching such stuff that will do this maybe he is better off with an LCD.

Let me clarify. If you are not an idiot, you won't get burn in on your 9g Pioneer. END

IR and BI also not the same
post #49 of 64 Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Plasma owners are forced to sacrifice too much convenience? And to think constantly about the condition of their televisions?

Please, give me a break from this nonsense. I can't believe people actually buy this stuff, it's truly appalling
post #50 of 64 Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post

I'll watch whatever format from whatever input device for as long as I want at eye burning brightness and contrast!!! I must be crazy!

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you'd fall asleep with your tv on. How irresponsible.

Too bad there's no way to automatically turn your tv off in case this happens. Oh wait...
post #51 of 64 Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow53 View Post

Actually, you're description of INSANE would not have any deliterious effect on any plasma panels being produced today, so don't sweat it!
post #52 of 64 Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll Viper ll View Post

Let me clarify. If you are not an idiot, you won't get burn in on your 9g Pioneer. END

IR and BI also not the same

Still, you can't blame the user on that or on the content providers. That would have to lie on the faults of the set. All I'm saying is, if the Plasma set involved shows any hint of IR or even BI, then that would be still the fault of the set (no matter how big or small). Thus in response, the manufacturer would have to increase the tolerance of future sets against this.

Otherwise, if that's his viewing habits, then I guess LCD would suit him more.

But you cannot blame this on the user

Well that's just me. Either way, I guess we're all free to agree or disagree.

@anyways
I do hope to test this for myself someday. In where I'm from, majority of content viewed on a TV screen is still in SD (we only have two-three HD channels available on Cable or pay-TV here........and HD game consoles and blu-ray and HD devices can only be afforded by less than 10% of the population) as of 2009.

What I'd want to hopefully test is as to regards to how plasma TV sets handle 4:3 and SD content (which is dominant in the Philippines as of 2009). Many experts have said that plasmas handle 4:3 content better than LCDs.....but with this new discussion, there is sort of debate as to whether this holds true or not (with claims that stretching 4:3 content puts some pressure on a plasma set).

Now that's what I want to hopefully test someday (whether it exists or not).

NOTE:
Majority of TV channels in Asia-Pacific ALWAYS have a constant logo watermark ALL THE TIME. I'm talking about Taiwanese channels, HBO ASIA, Discovery SEASIA, National Geographic Asia, Foxcrime, FX ASIA, etc.

All of the channels operated by STAR TV (owned by Rupert Murcdoch) do this.

So yeah, I'd like to know how newer plasmas stack up to this. It would be interesting to experiment and observe this for myself. It's been 5-10 years since plasmas suffered from major burn-in. Hence, I'd like to see how far we've gone..............when we pit it against content that is considered 'toxic' for plasma.

It's gonna be interesting to test this out for myself
post #53 of 64 Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so this store is selling hand picked pixel perfect ISFccc installed & calibrated Kuro 500m for $2500. + $100 if you want D-Nice to calibrate it.

VS

uncalibrated for $1799 (I am wondering if all they have left r none pixel perfect monitors) lol.

Should I buy the set for $1799 first and then see if I actually want calibration or is $2500 really a deal I should go for?

I live in Houston btw, I could find good calibration here right?
post #54 of 64 Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so this store is selling hand picked pixel perfect ISFccc installed & calibrated Kuro 500m for $2500. + $100 if you want D-Nice to calibrate it.

VS

uncalibrated for $1799 (I am wondering if all they have left r none pixel perfect monitors) lol.

Should I buy the set for $1799 first and then see if I actually want calibration or is $2500 really a deal I should go for?

I live in Houston btw, I could find good calibration here right?

It is more than just a calibration.

-> Gauranteeing you a pixal perfect display
-> doing 150 hr worths of break-in. that's over 6 days of nonstop break-in they are doing for you
-> installing control Cal ISF patch (I think the patch is around 100 bucks alone)
-> and then they are calibrating it. I think $350-500 is market price for a full ISF calibration

I don't know if it is a great deal, but getting a display set to go out of box gaurantee'd to be pixal perfect is worth a premium
post #55 of 64 Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

It is more than just a calibration.

-> Gauranteeing you a pixal perfect display
-> doing 150 hr worths of break-in. that's over 6 days of nonstop break-in they are doing for you
-> installing control Cal ISF patch (I think the patch is around 100 bucks alone)
-> and then they are calibrating it. I think $350-500 is market price for a full ISF calibration

I don't know if it is a great deal, but getting a display set to go out of box gaurantee'd to be pixal perfect is worth a premium

Well, I could break-in myself.
If it's the same price as getting calibration done later, I'd rather do it later.
Because, I might be satisfied with just Hival disc calibration.

Well, if the street price is $450-600 I'd say it's a clear choice for me. thx.
jw...wats the chance of receiving non-pixel perfect Kuro Elite plasma.......I am thinking it's some what a gimmick.
post #56 of 64 Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I think if they could sell it with the breakin alone(no calib or patch) it would be great.The breakin is a real hassle for most i would think.
post #57 of 64 Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I could break-in myself.
If it's the same price as getting calibration done later, I'd rather do it later.
Because, I might be satisfied with just Hival disc calibration.

Well, if the street price is $450-600 I'd say it's a clear choice for me. thx.
jw...wats the chance of receiving non-pixel perfect Kuro Elite plasma.......I am thinking it's some what a gimmick.

I was just pointing out it is more than just a claibration. Yes, you can do a break-in session on your own, but still is nice to have it done for you. This doesn't mean it has a dollar value (it does have some electricity cost savings for you ), more of a convenience value.

Yes, you might be satisfied with a disc calibration, and you might just be satisfied with setting it to pure mode or movie mode and calling it a day. that doesn't take away from the fact that for the panel to look its best, you would probably need a professional ISF calibration and the ISF patch.... both have a monetary price.

I don't know what the chances are of not getting a pixel perfect display. I have two 9G kuros... a pro-151fd and a krp-600M both are pixel perfect. Did I get lucky? I don't think so, but I know there is a chance to get one with dead pixels.

In the end, you just need to determine what has value to you and how much it is really worth.
post #58 of 64 Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivman View Post

I was just pointing out it is more than just a claibration. Yes, you can do a break-in session on your own, but still is nice to have it done for you. This doesn't mean it has a dollar value (it does have some electricity cost savings for you ), more of a convenience value.

Yes, you might be satisfied with a disc calibration, and you might just be satisfied with setting it to pure mode or movie mode and calling it a day. that doesn't take away from the fact that for the panel to look its best, you would probably need a professional ISF calibration and the ISF patch.... both have a monetary price.

I don't know what the chances are of not getting a pixel perfect display. I have two 9G kuros... a pro-151fd and a krp-600M both are pixel perfect. Did I get lucky? I don't think so, but I know there is a chance to get one with dead pixels.

In the end, you just need to determine what has value to you and how much it is really worth.

yah...I was just explaining that I'd rather have a option of not calibrate if the price is the same.
post #59 of 64 Old 11-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFLUGSTA View Post

Thanks xrox. What is the best source for a full white screen for this process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

A source of strong persistent IR/burn-in is the fact that electrical materials within the plasma pixels tend to sputter and accumulate in certain regions when a localized signal is used too often (such as 4:3). A full white screen for many hours will equalize the position and morphology of these materials across the panel and improve uniformity. Samsung has a paper on this and they used a 100hour full white aging.

Hey xrox or MFLUGSTA, what did you use to do the 100 hour full white aging process? I have slightly lighter black bars on the sides when the screen is black in a dark room. Not noticeable until I noticed it, and now I'm obsessed with it. 60" Kuro.
post #60 of 64 Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
That form of "burn-in" is the most common form. The plasma sets at my workplace are installed in pairs in break rooms and are running 10+ hours/day, 5 days/week, with 4:3 images (Headline News, QVC, FBN, etc.). Then when management comes on in a 16:9 teleconference, the sidebar area, blacked out during the daytime use, is noticeably brighter than the center 4:3 area where the constant SD images have been displayed. In the 50+ hours of use per week mode, burn-in is visible in as little as two years.

15+ years ago, when we had CRT RPTVs in the cafeterias only, those were burned too.

Burn-in happens. But not on LCDs, barring the occasional defective panel.

But if you are a typical AVS user, you will upgrade to a new TV before you have owned a plasma long enough to cause noticeable burn-in. Then you will drone on and on about how "plasmas don't suffer from burn-in". But if that were actually true, the manufacturer warranty would not exclude burn-in.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page