Poll Plasma vs LCD - Page 14 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: what do you prefer for a main TV Plasma or LCD?
LCD (I own(ed) BOTH LCD and Plasma) 0 0%
Plasma (I own(ed) BOTH LCD and Plasma) 0 0%
LCD (ONLY have owned LCD) 0 0%
Plasma (ONLY have owned Plasma) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #391 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Ken H (3D forum) has 41 000 posts.
Sorry,couldn't resist!

You realize Ken H is a moderator (and a member for 11 years)?

We rack up the post counts dealing with issues on a daily basis. Unfortunately, most of our posting is not enjoyable or part of furthering HT as our hobby. We spends hour(s) each day as volunteers giving back to AVS because we believe in what Alan and David have created. We hope are contribution helps to further their vision of helping ppl enjoy the Home Theater hobby.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #392 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
word302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

Therefore, we can be highly confident that the results of this poll show that discerning/discriminating display owners prefer Plasma to LCD as their primary display. This is not to say that Plasma is significantly better than LCD, only that it is preferred; this is also not to say that there can't be happy LCD owners out there.

This is one of the most well thought statements that I have heard thus far.
word302 is offline  
post #393 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,839
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

You realize Ken H is a moderator (and a member for 11 years)?

We rack up the post counts dealing with issues on a daily basis. Unfortunately, most of our posting is not enjoyable or part of furthering HT as our hobby. We spends hour(s) each day as volunteers giving back to AVS because we believe in what Alan and David have created. We hope are contribution helps to further their vision of helping ppl enjoy the Home Theater hobby.

I know he is a moderator,i am very impressed - 41 000.,he should get a medal or something.
8mile13 is offline  
post #394 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
pw5599's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

So a woman is like a TV

Mine's alot softer than a TV.
Women are more like cars anyway.
I think men are more TV-like.
pw5599 is offline  
post #395 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,839
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

XXXXX

I agree that majority AVSers own both techs and i agree that AVSers who own(ed)both techs prefer Plasma.
What does that tell me?not much,i need more info.

When you watch a two year old LCDmodel for a month exclusively then i am willing to believe that you take LCDtechnology seriously.
8mile13 is offline  
post #396 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I agree that majority AVSers own both techs and i agree that AVSers who own(ed)both techs prefer Plasma.
What does that tell me?not much,i need more info.

I already explained why it tells you all you need to know. You just choose not to accept the conclusion because you don't like it.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #397 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Relying on very well informed enthusiasts turned out deadly to me, said King Kuro on his deathbed while his evil twin, who decided to cater to the unwashed and uneducated, was laughing all the way to the bank.
ramazur is offline  
post #398 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tbird8450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
"King Kuro's" days were numbered long before he assumed the throne.

Pioneer's display division's balance sheets were a wreck years before the first Kuro found its way into the hands of its first enthusiast.
tbird8450 is offline  
post #399 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Relying on very well informed enthusiasts turned out deadly to me, said King Kuro on his deathbed while his evil twin, who decided to cater to the unwashed and uneducated, was laughing all the way to the bank.

Once again, AVS is a place for those who care about things like image fidelity and picture quality. Sales numbers and popularity amongst the general population have nothing to do with either of those.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #400 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post

"King Kuro's" days were numbered long before he assumed the throne.

Pioneer's display division's balance sheets were a wreck .....

...because they decided to cater to the enthusiasts and ignore the unwashed.
ramazur is offline  
post #401 of 420 Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Their balance sheets were a wreck because their balance sheets were a wreck. They were not as large a company as Samsung or Sony and never modernized their book-keeping or manufacturing processes. Those are the main things that took them down.

Your rationale also is nonsensical. They manufactured using higher quality components which is why you very rarely hear about a Pioneer plasma that has anything wrong with it. They catered to people who're willing to spend a little more for something that'll last a while and is better quality. You get ripped off from the companies that "cater to the unwashed" since they typically use subpar components which ends up meaning that you have to frequently buy replacement products.

There are far more expensive displays than kuros that truly cater to elitists. Pioneer owners are just people who were smart enough to see a great display for their money and stretch their pricerange a little to get something really high quality. Some may have money to throw around, but anyone as elitist as you claim would be getting displays in a whole different ballpark than what we're comparing.
dlplover is offline  
post #402 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

Their balance sheets were a wreck because their balance sheets were a wreck. They were not as large a company as Samsung or Sony and never modernized their book-keeping or manufacturing processes. Those are the main things that took them down.

Your rationale also is nonsensical. They manufactured using higher quality components which is why you very rarely hear about a Pioneer plasma that has anything wrong with it. They catered to people who're willing to spend a little more for something that'll last a while and is better quality. You get ripped off from the companies that "cater to the unwashed" since they typically use subpar components which ends up meaning that you have to frequently buy replacement products.

There are far more expensive displays than kuros that truly cater to elitists. Pioneer owners are just people who were smart enough to see a great display for their money and stretch their pricerange a little to get something really high quality. Some may have money to throw around, but anyone as elitist as you claim would be getting displays in a whole different ballpark than what we're comparing.

Thanks for confirming what I just wrote as only an enthusiast is willing to pay extra for those things. Beside, how would the enthusiasts know how reliable any given product will be without doing a good MTBF analysis of what is inside or at least getting a long term failure rate data?

What components were higher quality?
ramazur is offline  
post #403 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tbird8450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

...because they decided to cater to the enthusiasts and ignore the unwashed.

No, because their acquisition of NEC in 2004 was grossly mismanaged and drove the display division into a downward financial spiral from which it never recovered.

The fact that they didn't bolster their high-end lineup with high-volume, lower-end products certainly did little to help, but that wasn't a proximate cause of what eventually brought down the divison.
tbird8450 is offline  
post #404 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Thanks for confirming what I just wrote as only an enthusiast is willing to pay extra for those things. Beside, how would the enthusiasts know how reliable any given product will be without doing a good MTBF analysis of what is inside or at least getting a long term failure rate data?

What components were higher quality?

You have very obviously established yourself as part of the general population and not an A/V enthusiast like most of those who frequent AVS. Given that, may I ask what your purpose is here? It seems that your main point as of recently has been minimize everything this forum is about - whether it be debating display quality minutia or seeking that last iota of image fidelity. Espousing the philosophy that we should just get whatever looks pretty in the store and call it good is completely contrary to the very reason that we are all here.

To be clear I'm not seeking to attack you, rather to ascertain why you frequent a forum populated by A/V enthusiasts when you obviously consider A/V as a hobby to be a frivolous pursuit?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #405 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Written by Jose Fermoso
Posted Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM PT

http://newteevee.com/2009/02/21/pion...he-plasma-era/


The end of the Pioneer Kuro line of TVs represented a true tipping point in the TV industry, one preceded by long-gestating momentum from opposing forces. The recession and LCDs tipped over plasmas for good, and the slope downward will be quite steep, and fast.

Last week, Pioneer announced it was killing off its critically acclaimed TV business by March 2010 and will concentrate on car and audio/visual systems. It was a dramatic fall for a company that just one year ago had CES abuzz with its newest plasma TV, the so-called “Ultimate Black” Kuro.

The Kuro’s tech was impressive because it reduced light emissions from black areas of the screen to such a degree that at its maximum brightness, the contrast ratio was “almost infinite.” The result was a plasma display with the most vibrant, colorful images yet.

But even at the hype’s peak, problems in the plasma industry were apparent.

Plasmas were at their most popular from 2004 to 2006, a period that saw them overtake rear-projection TVs as the top big-TV format. But they had a tough time offsetting their lowest average prices with high sale volumes. The spectre of LCDs also prompted many customers to hold off on making a purchase. By February ‘08, soon after the recession had officially taken hold, premium-quality Pioneers seemed out of touch. Most critically, LCDs were sporting features long the domain of plasma: bigger screens, greater contrast ratios, thinner and cheaper sets. LCD picture quality still failed to reach plasma levels, but to average consumers, the difference was no longer obvious.


Fast-forward to the start of 2009, and LCDs were outselling plasmas 8-to-1 globally, and the dominating the best-selling lists on Amazon.com.

Pioneer tried a last-ditch partnership with Panasonic to create a version of its plasma TVs, contributing its own “secret sauce” to keep the Kuro tech flowing, but that effort appears to be over.

The slumping demand is already having consequences: Projected losses of $1.41 billion in 2008-09 (following a loss of $203 million in 2007-08) and a nearly 50 percent drop in operating revenue have set the scene for 10,000 jobs cuts and the closing of U.S., UK and Japanese facilities. But Pioneer’s not the only TV maker suffering. They’re all taking it on the chin, regardless of display type.

Both Hitachi andVizio had to end the bleeding by shuttering plasmas to concentrate on LCDs. And not even the usually flush holiday period buoyed TV companies to a safe financial landing: Sony, Panasonic, and LG all posted lower quarterly profits.

Component suppliers have similarly been unable to escape the pain. As Om noted in recent posts, screen manufacturer Corning posted fourth-quarter 2008 revenues of $1.1 billion and still had to let go of 3,500 jobs.

Pioneer’s decision to end its plasma production was more complicated. It bought out NEC’s plasma business in 2004, used it as an OEM for its glass, but was recently forced to shutter the unit. Now, the only plasma manufacturers left standing are Panasonic, LG, and Samsung, all of which make their own components.

Panasonic is in good position to benefit from Kuro’s death. Most of the Pioneer engineers who came up with Kuro switched sides and are now working for Panasonic. In addition, recent demos have shown that Panasonic plasmas are nearing Kuro quality. Already in possession of the biggest plasma market share in the world (at more than 35 percent), the company will be able to build a diversified product line using plasma TVs as a premium screen type that appeals to a niche that still wants them. Add to that the fact that it receives significant revenues from selling its glass to other companies, including JVC and Fujitsu, and it appears that it’ll be able to keep plasmas afloat longer than any other company. Panasonic will inherit the burdens of the difficult economy and the LCD challenge, but once plasma is no longer economically feasible, its own LCDs will have likely caught up in picture quality. In fact, ultimate black contrast tech is already getting closer to LCDs. So it’s only a matter of a few years (maybe even less) before plasmas finally die out.

Emphasis is mine.
ramazur is offline  
post #406 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

Written by Jose Fermoso
Posted Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM PT

Mr. Fermoso made this prediction a year and two months ago, with 10 months remaining in his given time frame. The plasma industry shows no signs of the imminent failure that he predicted. Various pundits have been screaming about the inevitable collapse of the plasma industry over the last several years, yet here we are with new models coming down the pipe from Panasonic, and Samsung and LG still selling them as well. Unless someone can produce some concrete data pointing to the collapse of the plasma industry in the next 10 months, I think we can put Mr. Fermoso's year old hypotheses to rest.

Back to the more pertinent subject at hand, I've conveniently quoted my recent question to you below so that you can respond, in the event that you missed it amidst your outdated article posting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

You have very obviously established yourself as part of the general population and not an A/V enthusiast like most of those who frequent AVS. Given that, may I ask what your purpose is here? It seems that your main point as of recently has been minimize everything this forum is about - whether it be debating display quality minutia or seeking that last iota of image fidelity. Espousing the philosophy that we should just get whatever looks pretty in the store and call it good is completely contrary to the very reason that we are all here.

To be clear I'm not seeking to attack you, rather to ascertain why you frequent a forum populated by A/V enthusiasts when you obviously consider A/V as a hobby to be a frivolous pursuit?


There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #407 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ Fine, where's the point, respectfully?

You essentially asserted that plasma technology will not live forever.

Congratulations. Neither will LCD.

Importantly, the above dialogue has nothing to do with what technology is capable of and DOES deliver a superior image, static and moving alike.

I could list dozens of techs that were fundamentally superior to those they "lost out" to.

Beta vs VHS springs to mind. In this industry, no sane "PDP-lover" is insisting that it's the perfect technology...just maintaining that it is above the LCD alternative.


Pluses and minuses.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #408 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
"LCD picture quality still failed to reach plasma levels, but to average consumers, the difference was no longer obvious."

Dead nuts on. Summarizes the results of a poll on an enthusiast web-site.


James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #409 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post

i have to say, i've read a ton of posts of PDP > LCD. Usually the people who support that argument provide reasons why they feel plasma is better. Not from a speculative standpoint, but from an empirical standpoint. Pointing out technological reasons why the technology is better. providing numbers, such as off axis measurement, which have been proven, measured, and confirmed that the color is significantly worse at an off axis angle. measured light output for black level measurements/comparisons. and on paper PDP outperforms LCD in most categories (while this is a generalization, as there are many different panels that can be measured, and compared, assume best vs best in each category) yet i feel like LCD promoters usually turn things into a speculative argument. bringing in such factors as whos outselling who, how they look in stores, how it looks when you have a 400w spotlight shinning on it, how it looks through a kaleidoscope, and generally not making empirical points. heres a good one, the heat in the room, seriously? thanks geister, glad people pay hundreds of dollars for accurate color measurements, when we could just be renting your eyes (define superior colors and whites?):





I think people become passionate and enraged at these posts is because, we as PDP supporters are frustrated. we have shown everyone out there that PDP is in fact a superior television technology to LCD, yet people refuse to open their minds and look at the empirical evidence. Any real plasma owner will know that BR, and IR, are a thing of the past (for non 5yr olds who know how to turn a tv off when they are done with it, i can pause a CRT tv and leave it on for 10 days, same result as a PDP) yet LCD people still throw it around like its a real problem, and its frustrating to people who dont listen to people who have ACTUALLY OWNED THEM. i would feel the same way if me and someone were in a 100 meter dash, i ran a faster time, yet he would continue to believe that he in fact won....that would get me heated. no different here, we have proven that its better, yet LCD people still argue....Until you know what the picture is 'supposed' to look like, LCD owners will never know that theirs does not.

This guy continues to show up and leave points reeking of common sense.


James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #410 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,839
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

I already explained why it tells you all you need to know. You just choose not to accept the conclusion because you don't like it.

What is enough 'evidence' for you is not automaticly enough 'evidence' for me.

As said before,i need a lot of additional information before making up my mind.
8mile13 is offline  
post #411 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155



James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is offline  
post #412 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

Mr. Fermoso made this prediction a year and two months ago, with 10 months remaining in his given time frame. The plasma industry shows no signs of the imminent failure that he predicted. Various pundits have been screaming about the inevitable collapse of the plasma industry over the last several years, yet here we are with new models coming down the pipe from Panasonic, and Samsung and LG still selling them as well. Unless someone can produce some concrete data pointing to the collapse of the plasma industry in the next 10 months, I think we can put Mr. Fermoso's year old hypotheses to rest.

Back to the more pertinent subject at hand, I've conveniently quoted my recent question to you below so that you can respond, in the event that you missed it amidst your outdated article posting:

To add to what you said, people've been saying the same thing about DLP for some time. If DLP is to survive in the long term, they need to make some serious improvements both in getting rid of the bulbs and overall reliability. Even with that, Mitsubishi is still making them years after people were predicting its death.

Disclaimer: I was very happy with my DLP set while it worked. After it broke, I tried several LCDs, was thoroughly disappointed, and ultimately settled on a KRP plasma.

Point being, as long as someone makes them and people buy them the tech will be alive and well.
dlplover is offline  
post #413 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dlplover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
They've been predicting the death of DLP since at least 2005. I can see that DLP will still be around for several years minimum. After that it depends primarily on whether they manage to improve it with laser or LED tech more substantially. I don't really recommend DLP's to anyone due to their myriad of problems and almost inevitable failure, but the same doesn't apply to plasma. There are a lot of reasons why people don't buy DLP. One is weight, another is reliability, another is viewing angles, dimness, etc... etc... They are nice displays but take a lot of maintenance in their present form. Plasma is far more reliable, just like most name-brand LCD's, and are also thin and wall-mountable.

The only reason not to get a plasma or LCD these days are preference. As long as you aren't opting for the cheapest of the cheap, reliability should be fairly good and IMO that is the biggest thing. If tech is comparably priced and has no major shortcomings, the main thing that dictates if it'll be around or not is long-term reliability. If a set looks good and keeps working, people are likely to recommend it to others they know and there will be a market for it as long as it's priced in line with competing technologies.

After that, it's a simple matter of preference. AVS members prefer better blacks, viewing angles, color accuracy, and seem to prefer plasma over LCD based on this poll. LCD is not bad, although personally washed out blacks at night (CCFL) or flashlighting (LED) annoy me to no end so LCD isn't really an option in my book. I like to focus on what I'm watching and not the ambient glow or deficiencies in the display I'm looking at. For viewing with the lights on CCFL IPS panels are nice. Low-light, I haven't seen any LCD that particularly impresses me (neglecting high end ones in the $10k+ range).
dlplover is offline  
post #414 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

If what happened to the DLPs deserves the term "alive and well", we need to create a term that would apply to the LCDs.

So here is your chance to be creative.

Your continued lack of response to my relevant inquiries indicates you have nothing to offer that would refute my points.

I still don't understand why someone who is at odds with the very reason AVS exists continues to participate in discussions to which he has nothing useful to add, aside from calling us obsessive and suggesting we need some sort of 12 step program?

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #415 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

What is enough 'evidence' for you is not automaticly enough 'evidence' for me.

As said before,i need a lot of additional information before making up my mind.

So far, your requirements for "evidence" have been purely subjective and have not stood up to logical analysis. No one can tell you that they don't work for you, however I'm not sure why you keep repeating them since they can't be applied to anyone else here (or the results of this survey) successfully.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #416 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

I will not respond to the posts that claim I wrote something I didn't. Anyone who wants an argument has to look elsewhere or this thread will get locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

A hobby in the extreme is an obsession. Every obsession is destructive and in need of a 12-step program. Do you think that some of the posters could benefit from it?

Hmmmm...

I already stated this thread has outlasted its usefulness since plasma's wide acceptance by those who have PQ standards beyond pretty colors has been clearly illustrated. Those looking for continued arguments have done so repeatedly in the form of off-topic posts and ad-hominem attacks on other forum members and the forum in general. These people know who they are, regardless of whether their posts were ultimately deleted or not.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #417 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

I wrote: A hobby in the extreme is an obsession. Every obsession is destructive and in need of a 12-step program. Do you think that some of the posters could benefit from it?

I am not an English major but I see a difference between what I wrote and what your claim I wrote. Can you?

Again, we all know who said what regardless of whether it was deleted by the mods or not.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #418 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,839
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

So far, your requirements for "evidence" have been purely subjective and have not stood up to logical analysis. No one can tell you that they don't work for you, however I'm not sure why you keep repeating them since they can't be applied to anyone else here (or the results of this survey) successfully.

Analysis based upon 4 short questions?
8mile13 is offline  
post #419 of 420 Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
HogPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Good Ol' US of A
Posts: 2,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Analysis based upon 4 short questions?

No, my conclusions are based on logical analysis of the population from which the sample was derived and the results - once again I've covered all this in previous posts. You can either accept the results or not, but without statistically-sound and/or objective objections to the poll and its results as I've previously laid out, your personal dissatisfaction is meaningless.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

HogPilot is online now  
post #420 of 420 Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 22,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 327
thank you
markrubin is online now  
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off