Poll Plasma vs LCD - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: what do you prefer for a main TV Plasma or LCD?
LCD (I own(ed) BOTH LCD and Plasma) 0 0%
Plasma (I own(ed) BOTH LCD and Plasma) 0 0%
LCD (ONLY have owned LCD) 0 0%
Plasma (ONLY have owned Plasma) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 420 Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
out of my own curiosity i thought up this poll

please provide honest answers

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 420 Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
bill4903485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I believe only total anonymity will yield much nearer to 100 percent honest answers.
bill4903485 is offline  
post #3 of 420 Old 03-08-2010, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4903485 View Post

I believe only total anonymity will yield much nearer to 100 percent honest answers.

I was thinking the other way around actually, that having the results public will help to keep people honest

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #4 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This poll, like mine before, proves that the plasma camp is grossly overrepresented here at AVS.

In the real world where normal people congragate the LCDs outsell plasmas 3 to 1 in the 40 and up category so please don't start me with the computer monitors. This translates into a 24 to 1 overreprentation factor.
ramazur is offline  
post #5 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ It absolutely proves nothing of the sort.

First, seeing it's anything but a scientific poll, it's all but impossible to make ANY verifiable correlation whatsoever.

That said, a very strong argument can be made that folks who frequent this site are MUCH more likely to have either a strong knowledge base and/or experience with display technology (certainly more than the average or even "above" average consumer) and therefore can make a more "educated", or, at least substantiated opinion over those who spent 30 minutes (or none at all) researching their last television purchase.

Now, if that means plasma will be "over represented" as the superior or most desired TV tech, so be it, I guess. A reasonable person who witnessed such a differentiation on a site dedicated to technology would likely infer that there's probably some substantial or at least clear performance differences.

And, in this case, that reasonable person will have reasoned correctly. :P

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #6 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
It's like going on a car driving enthusiast site and being surprised that rear-wheel drive autos are grossly preferred to front wheel drive, even though FWD outsells RWD nearly 10 to 1 in the "real world".

meaningless.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #7 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
SaxCatz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dry Dry Desert, AZ
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ It absolutely proves nothing of the sort.
...
Now, if that means plasma will be "over represented" as the superior or most desired TV tech, so be it, I guess.

James

Exactly. If anything, it goes to show that those "in the know" overwhelmingly prefer plasma and that should be more important to the potential buyer than what the majority of uninformed consumers purchase.
SaxCatz is offline  
post #8 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
This is called logic. Don't expect it to sit well with everyone here.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #9 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Member
 
jiopsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

meaningless.

James

Yes, that's true. Those who prefer LCD, continues to prefer LCD and vice versa.
jiopsi is offline  
post #10 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Sony_Fan37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I for one have only owned LCD, but am wishing that I would have gotten a plasma. There was no choice on the poll for me...
Sony_Fan37 is offline  
post #11 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ramazur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,171
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

^ It absolutely proves nothing of the sort.

It proves exactly what I said. I didn't go into the reasons why the plasma owners visit this folder in such large numbers compared to those that prefer LCDs. The naked and undisputable fact is that they do and vote accordingly.

Or let me try something simpler: Assume that in a room we have 50 people that bought plasmas and 50 that bought an LCD as their primary set. We asked them to raise their hands to show what they have as their primary set. I would expect a 50-50 outcome. Wouldn't you?

Now let's adjust for the actual ownership stats. Let's stipulate that there are three times as many owners of LCD vs. plasma out there in the world. Would you say the the 50-50 group is a representative? No, it's skewed for some reason. If you want to claim that LCD guys are uneducated dupes, go for it. The fact still remains that the 50-50 group doesn't reflect what is out there.

Because of that the poll, for whatever reason, shows, at least at the time I posted my comments, only one thing: 8 to 1 ratio is 24 time out of alignment with the reality of ownership accross the country.

If you want to claim that some LCD owners bought their LCDs but prefer plasmas, that would not pass the giggle test.
ramazur is offline  
post #12 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

This poll, like mine before, proves that the plasma camp is grossly overrepresented here at AVS.

In the real world where normal people congragate the LCDs outsell plasmas 3 to 1 in the 40 and up category so please don't start me with the computer monitors. This translates into a 24 to 1 overreprentation factor.

Another way to say that is this:

9 out of 10 TVs sold now are LCDs.

Part of this is the fact that there are more LCDs on display at places like Best Buy.

What it doesn't mean is that there is a shortage of Plasma TVs for sale.

From Sears TV salesman, (and AVS member), Steve S, we know that there are "spiffs" or cash incentives for retail salesmen to direct buyers to certain brands, notably, Samsung. According to Steve this happens at Best Buy and most other retail stores. And, while Samsung sells some plasmas, Samsung is much more focused on LCD, especially, LED. Samsung should be ashamed of itself for confusing the general public by making it seem like LED is something other than LCD.

The OP continues to look for ways to promote 720P plasma, after having ignored/dismissed plasma for some reason before stumbling across the inexpensive 50 inch 720P Panasonic 50 inch plasma.

For those with sufficient light control, plasma is a good choice, although the rising black levels issue must be keeping some people from buying Panasonic plasma. Ordinary shoppers will never even hear of that issue, but the people on this Forum aren't ordinary shoppers, so it's hard to say how many potential Pansonic plasma shoppers are going to skip Panasonic plasma due to the rising black level.
spyboy is offline  
post #13 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Again, no it doesn't. This is a forum that represents most wholly, A/V technology...specifically, a significant amount of gear that is aimed at mid-upper to the hi end fans. Because most LCD televisions do not fall into this category, the folks "here" are PERFECTLY representative of that fact. Again, there is a reason why "here" contains more PDP "lovers".

Further, nothing speaks more to (and beyond) this simple reality than EIGHTEEN out of TWENTY respondents who own BOTH LCD and PLASMA PREFERRING PLASMA.

That's 18/20.

90%.

I'm certain that number will only increase.



Although not scientific and a rather sparse number of respondents thus far, this is going just about the way any dolt could have predicted:

Plasma is the preferred display technology of the "learned" folks overall AND, more crucially, it is the preferred display tech of "learned" folks who own BOTH LCD and PDP.

very straightforward, really.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #14 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Where "720 resolution PDP's" enter in to any of this is beyond my grasp, apparently.

Sounds like a cat fight carrying over from another thread.

The poll is about as clear as possible.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #15 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramazur View Post

It proves exactly what I said. I didn't go into the reasons why the plasma owners visit this folder in such large numbers compared to those that prefer LCDs. The naked and undisputable fact is that they do and vote accordingly.

Or let me try something simpler: Assume that in a room we have 50 people that bought plasmas and 50 that bought an LCD as their primary set. We asked them to raise their hands to show what they have as their primary set. I would expect a 50-50 outcome. Wouldn't you?

Now let's adjust for the actual ownership stats. Let's stipulate that there are three times as many owners of LCD vs. plasma out there in the world. Would you say the the 50-50 group is a representative? No, it's skewed for some reason. If you want to claim that LCD guys are uneducated dupes, go for it. The fact still remains that the 50-50 group doesn't reflect what is out there.

Because of that the poll, for whatever reason, shows, at least at the time I posted my comments, only one thing: 8 to 1 ratio is 24 time out of alignment with the reality of ownership accross the country.

If you want to claim that some LCD owners bought their LCDs but prefer plasmas, that would not pass the giggle test.

This post makes it VERY obvious you have no idea what I (and one or two others) are even contending.

It seems that your fatal error revolves around the fact that you insist that a "fair" or "representative" response to the poll is predicated upon a 50/50 (or near 50/50) ownership of tech (or equal visitation of LCD and PDP leaners visiting this thread (which would NEVER occur, BTW)). This is of course preposterous.

The best this poll can offer you is, again, the CLEAR distinction between what folks who own BOTH techs prefer. Which is now 19-2 in favor of plasma, BTW.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #16 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Most people are in the lcd section on AVsience .

LCD has superior sales.
8mile13 is offline  
post #17 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ and this matters how?

But just to entertain the non-topical comment, this should, in an "everything being equal world" only increase the LCD representation on a poll such as this, and, assuming LCD buyers are as satisfied or MORE satisfied than PDP purchasers, cause a sea change in this poll. But, apparently, without any rhyme or reason, PDP owners (even though out-numbered 3 to 1) are much more prevalent in this region of AVS country.

And what "region" is this, you ask? "Flat Panel GENERAL and New FP Tech"

good grief.


James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #18 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Again, no it doesn't. This is a forum that represents most wholly, A/V technology...specifically, a significant amount of gear that is aimed at mid-upper to the hi end fans. Because most LCD televisions do not fall into this category, the folks "here" are PERFECTLY representative of that fact. Again, there is a reason why "here" contains more PDP "lovers".

Further, nothing speaks more to (and beyond) this simple reality than EIGHTEEN out of TWENTY respondents who own BOTH LCD and PLASMA PREFERRING PLASMA.

That's 18/20.

90%.

I'm certain that number will only increase.



Although not scientific and a rather sparse number of respondents thus far, this is going just about the way any dolt could have predicted:

Plasma is the preferred display technology of the "learned" folks overall AND, more crucially, it is the preferred display tech of "learned" folks who own BOTH LCD and PDP.

very straightforward, really.

James

Thats exactly why i posted this poll, not really to see how many perffered plasma or LCD but to see how many of the LCD owners have never owned a plasma

the numbers speak for themselves the vast majority of people who have owned both prefer plasma and there are very few people on here that prefer LCD if they've owned a plasma before

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Where "720 resolution PDP's" enter in to any of this is beyond my grasp, apparently.

Sounds like a cat fight carrying over from another thread.

The poll is about as clear as possible.

James

Spyboy likes to throw the "hes trying to justify buying a 720p plasma" into any thread i mention plasma in, don't mind him

he seems to think that it discredits me or makes me feel regret over it being 720p. yet hes never admitted to owning a plasma before so his opinions IMO are worthless

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #19 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
You where in favor of the word superior thats why i used it.

It seems that most tv forum visitors are plasmaowners.
8mile13 is offline  
post #20 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Most people are in the lcd section on AVsience .

LCD has superior sales.

yes and a great majority of those people in the LCD section are not regular's on these forums and it really shows due to all the
"what LCD should a buy threads"
"whats wrong with my LCD threads"
"why does my LCD have image retention threads"

people come to these forums looking for answers and the less informed people are looking at LCD's clearly the difference between the plasma section and the LCD section exemplifies this

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #21 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

You where in favor of the word superior thats why i used it.

It seems that most tv forum visitors are plasmaowners.

Right. I knew there was a logical reason for its use in a non-topical addition to the thread.

Again, see my post for at least a partial explanation for that reality regarding plasma owners and AVS.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #22 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post

the numbers speak for themselves the vast majority of people who have owned both prefer plasma and there are very few people on here that prefer LCD if they've owned a plasma before

How many people are part of this poll? 10?
And you talk about 'the numbers speak for themselves"?The majority of people?You make it sound as if this is a reliable nation wide poll and you are a respectable researcher .
With all do respect,this poll is a joke.

Someone who is disappointed in lcd will try plasma(nine out of ten tv-buyers buys a lcd).
Someone who is disappointed in plasma will try lcd(one out of ten tv-buyers buys a plasma.)

THERE ARE IN POTENTIAL 90 TIMES MORE DISAPPOINTED LCD-BUYERS
8mile13 is offline  
post #23 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ 43 and growing quickly, actually. And, as I anticipated, the number of folks owning both techs and choosing PDP continues to grow, now at 24/26, or 92%. And since the number of TV's per household is now nearing 5 nationally, AND we're on a web-site conducive to multiple HD set owners, I do not feel the above results are necessarily unreliable.


Further, I would suggest a college-level statistics course if you believe that you need millions, thousands, or even hundreds to conduct a poll that can provide pertinent data.

That said, although I'm not suggesting this a scientific poll, I do some basic conclusions will likely be able to be drawn after a given amount of time has passed.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

 

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

mastermaybe is online now  
post #24 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I forgot to mention:lcd has superior thinness.
8mile13 is offline  
post #25 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apparently you've never seen a panny Z1, it's thinner than most lcd's and outperforms them while doing it

Really though thickness is pointless

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #26 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
bill4903485's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thickness or cabinet depth, bulk, heft was definitely an issue with CRT.
bill4903485 is offline  
post #27 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4903485 View Post

Thickness or cabinet depth, bulk, heft was definitely an issue with CRT.

i was referring to the topic on hand not other display devices

both LCD and plasma are thin enough for the vast majority of people and normal plasma's are just as thick as typical LCD's and local dimming models for the most part.

people buying into super slim designs are doing it because of that reason alone and do not really care about the picture quality or they would be buying a local dimming LED LCD or a plasma

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #28 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gtgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Of the two technologies I own both, I choose neither for my main TV. Instead I have an 82" DLP. I have a 58" Panny plasma in the bedroom and I use LCD HDTVs for computer monitors. When I bought a TV for my parents I bought LCD, it was right for them, their room, and their viewing style. This whole technology fanboy non-sense is rediculous. Choose the TV for the particular usage, viewing distance and ambient conditions. My big dlp is fed via a DVDO Edge but soon will be fed through a Radiance XS. I have TVs all over the place and if my main room viewing distance and lighting were different I mgiht have made another technology choice.

I would love to cross-reference the preference selection to viewing distance. Just speculation on my part but I bet that LCD preferers have on average smaller displays and greater viewing distances. Sure that is just a guess but it makes sense. I would also bet that in the public at large, LCD owners are by far the most likely to still be running in the sales floor torch mode with SD content stretched to full screen.

Just another blank signature.
gtgray is online now  
post #29 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
frito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: east SF bay area, ca
Posts: 3,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Of the two technologies I own both, I choose neither for my main TV. Instead I have an 82" DLP. I have a 58" Panny plasma in the bedroom and I use LCD HDTVs for computer monitors. When I bought a TV for my parents I bought LCD, it was right for them, their room, and their viewing style. This whole technology fanboy non-sense is rediculous. Choose the TV for the particular usage, viewing distance and ambient conditions. My big dlp is fed via a DVDO Edge but soon will be fed through a Radiance XS. I have TVs all over the place and if my main room viewing distance and lighting were different I mgiht have made another technology choice.

I would love to cross-reference the preference selection to viewing distance. Just speculation on my part but I bet that LCD preferers have on average smaller displays and greater viewing distances. Sure that is just a guess but it makes sense. I would also bet that in the public at large, LCD owners are by far the most likely to still be running in the sales floor torch mode with SD content stretched to full screen.

100% Agree with your statements

If you're a gamer or interested in using an LCD TV as a primary monitor take a look at my thread on Input Lag
frito is offline  
post #30 of 420 Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Member
 
pw5599's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

How many people are part of this poll? 10?
And you talk about 'the numbers speak for themselves"?The majority of people?You make it sound as if this is a reliable nation wide poll and you are a respectable researcher .
With all do respect,this poll is a joke.

Someone who is disappointed in lcd will try plasma(nine out of ten tv-buyers buys a lcd).
Someone who is disappointed in plasma will try lcd(one out of ten tv-buyers buys a plasma.)

THERE ARE IN POTENTIAL 90 TIMES MORE DISAPPOINTED LCD-BUYERS

That makes sense.....I think
It would be nice if those voters would say which they bought 1st and why they bought the other the next time.
pw5599 is offline  
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off