Flat Panel over wood burning stove - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have a wood burning stove inside our fireplace and want to mount a flat screen above it, but I'm afraid the temps will be way too hot.

I did some searching and found plenty of talk about the tv's above fireplaces and one post about the stove's, but more related to soot not heat.

Thanks,

Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by josserman View Post

We have a wood burning stove inside our fireplace and want to mount a flat screen above it, but I'm afraid the temps will be way too hot.

I did some searching and found plenty of talk about the tv's above fireplaces and one post about the stove's, but more related to soot not heat.

Thanks,

Justin

Trust your instincts. TVs over fire places that leak heat to the wall above is asking for heat related trouble.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by josserman View Post

We have a wood burning stove inside our fireplace and want to mount a flat screen above it, but I'm afraid the temps will be way too hot. I did some searching and found plenty of talk about the tv's above fireplaces and one post about the stove's, but more related to soot not heat.

I don't know about the other brands, but Panasonic for instance officially rates all of it's flat panel TVs for use above a fireplace as long the temperature where the TV will be placed does not exceed 104F. Place a thermometer on the wall where you'd like to mount the TV and see if it's within safe parameters.

FWIW, in all my years here at AVS i have never seen a post where someone's fireplace mounted TV was damaged by heat or smoke or soot. That's not to say it can't or hasn't happened, but it would seem it's not a big problem if one uses common sense.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 29 Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I don't know about the other brands, but Panasonic for instance officially rates all of it's flat panel TVs for use above a fireplace as long the temperature where the TV will be placed exceeds 104F. Place a thermometer on the wall where you'd like to mount the TV and see if it's within safe parameters.

Randy, I guess you mean DOES NOT EXCEED 104F, rather than exceeds. Sometimes we type faster than our brain can evaluate the results.

And while I am not one of them, some people read everything they write 3 times before finally posting.
post #5 of 29 Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Don't even consider this. Open hearths with gas logs shorten the life of a TV drasticly. A fireplace with a stove insert buts much more heat into the room, and sensitive electronics will be ruined. Find a way to keep the set entirely away from heat.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #6 of 29 Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Randy, I guess you mean DOES NOT EXCEED 104F, rather than exceeds. Sometimes we type faster than our brain can evaluate the results.

And while I am not one of them, some people read everything they write 3 times before finally posting.

Whoops, hah hah i usually do preview my responses and look for errors (mostly typos) before i post it, but sometimes i jsut go too fast nad click Sumbit

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

I know I am reopening this thread from a while ago, but had to delay flat screen purchase for other obligations. We now are going to go ahead with this both as its budgeted for and we have a 1yr old who is trying to pull down wires behind current set.

Here is the stove/mantle layout. Wondering if I could have some heat/dust diffuser vent type system custom built to go under the tv. 5d8fff93e618a20ca1daaa96906958f5.jpg

[

Ps besides getting the tv off the wall away from our son, the other reason we are doing this is as i posted in another thread the surround sound staging is awful with the layout we currently have. Here is the room layout. This design represents new furniture purchased that we expect to arrive in 1 months time.

82709df25ea05abb9d242b48f979b3a7.jpg

In an ideal world i would love to mount tv above stove, and have all components in a rack in my basement directly underneath this setup. Of course speakers mounted on the walls proportional to TV on fireplace.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do those photos get soot on them from the stove underneath? How far does that shelf protrude? Having a shelf underneath would help a lot ... personally i dont like the idea because you will get a sore neck. Look at that height vs your current, ideal, TV height.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Was not planning on leaving shelf there, actually outside of the heat and dust issue I can mount TV pretty low at a good viewing angle, just need to figure out how to deal with heat/dust....
post #10 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

biggrin.gif

My last house had a smallish living room, and I didn't plan on using the fireplace, so..

post #11 of 29 Old 04-01-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Nice!
post #12 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by josserman View Post

Was not planning on leaving shelf there, actually outside of the heat and dust issue I can mount TV pretty low at a good viewing angle, just need to figure out how to deal with heat/dust....

Is that stove actually putting out dust into the room? How is a stove putting out dust??

Is there any soot getting on the pictures or ceiling above the stove? It all looks pretty clean in the picture.

Have you checked the temperature of the area above that stove to see if it exceeds 104F per my earlier post?

If there is no soot or dust or excessive heat, i don't see any problems with mounting the TV above that stove.

Randy
post #13 of 29 Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 PM

Liked: 12
Josserman...

I get what you are asking. You would remove the existing shelf so that you could have a great viewing angle because your stove is low profile. So the concerns about sore neck would not apply (and i have my summer house where I have no choice so it sits above the fireplace much higher than yours and it is a factor I wish I did not have to deal with but I did). Now also different than mine (or several others I have setup) they were shielded somewhat by 2 things not applicable to your suggestion. 1. your stove is much further out than all of the ones I have seen where the stove was inserted into the fireplace and very little protruded (or they had no insert and just used the Fireplace normally). 2. they all had a shelf that greatly helped "shield" much of the heat from the set.

I don't think a low shelf would look right so IMO only inches above the stove and no shelf would be a big concern. If you leave the shelf and put it above you will have an non-optimal viewing angle but no stove concerns. If you were to ask me how much my non optimal viewing angle bothers me I would say a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. To put that in perspective a non filtered Plasma with sun directly on it is a 9, bright room with windows no sun directly on it a 2.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 AM

Liked: 14
Is the wood stove your main source of heat? If so just use an ir gun and measure the temp in a few spots

The stove top
The brick above stove, but below mantel shelf
Above mantel shelf.

That will tell you what you can do..
post #15 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 37
If that stove sees any serious use you *will* have dust. It's the ash removal that's the problem; some fly ash will escape every time, no matter how careful you are. But it won't be especially localized. (Our primary heat is a 400+ lb cast iron coal/wood burning insert in a huge 100 year-old stone hearth. It dominates our great room. The original part of our house is built from American Chestnut logs, BTW, now nearly extinct due to the blight.)

I'd be reluctant to mount a TV in that location. Nevertheless, if you can deflect the rising hot air I suppose you might get away with it. My first thought is (depending on the size of the TV) to lower the mantel a little and mount the TV above it, tilted down somewhat.

Good luck.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

We use the stove a lot and it heats up this big room to 80 degrees at times. Maybe the answer is to stop using it the way we've been smile.gif. I think your right the shelf may looking crap under the TV. Oh well back to the drawing board!
post #17 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If it heats up the room to 80 degrees it's going to be hotter than that directly above where your TV would be. Yesterday I did a search (sorry didn't save the links), and you'd be surprised how many people have the same question.

The general consensus, based on my perusing, was that it's not advisable...that heat can damage the set.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 235
Is it possible to switch the positioning of the wood burning stove with the tv, or is the opening too small?
post #19 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I believe that if you wouldn't put a fan-less computer system above a heat source, then you should absolutely NOT put your TV above it.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but aren't these things relying on standard convection to cool themselves down? Whether it's actually true or not, the number one blame for failed digital circuitry over time is heat. Right now my laptop (which has fans in and under it) is reporting an 88° hard drive and a 120° CPU. And that's in a room-ambient temperature of roughly 68°. When the CPU hits 135° it starts actively ramping down its clock speed. I don't have it set to reduce its voltage, though I can set that manually if I like.

If that beast in your room can heat the entire room to 80° then it'll probably be at least somewhat similar to my parent's wood-pellet burner. And I would *never* consider putting a chunk of electronics, even with high-speed fans (which your TV doesn't have), even 5 feet above that. No way Jose. The proximity above that thing is very hot, and can be for hours on end. The hot air that makes would only go upwards.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Besides, I do believe that the mounting of TVs on what would otherwise be a beautiful display of a brick fireplace is a fad destined to go away.

Seriously, especially at the sizes panels are now, I just can't see it as a lasting trend. A jarring chunk of electronics above something picturesque? It's just not a look that blends IMHO. You might well look back at this and wonder "OMG, what were we thinking. That's like the mullet of the 80's"

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I think you should be more concerned about what it is doing to your health. Your lungs cost more than any tv.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Besides, I do believe that the mounting of TVs on what would otherwise be a beautiful display of a brick fireplace is a fad destined to go away.

Seriously, especially at the sizes panels are now, I just can't see it as a lasting trend. A jarring chunk of electronics above something picturesque? It's just not a look that blends IMHO. You might well look back at this and wonder "OMG, what were we thinking. That's like the mullet of the 80's"

That is very true. Your mullet analogy put a smile on my face. I think fireplace mounted tv's look nice in a model home but for practical day-to-day use, nah.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-11-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

I think you should be more concerned about what it is doing to your health. Your lungs cost more than any tv.

That's a good point. Unless you have venting that absolutely carries all smoke away, wood based fires put out PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) which are bad for heath.

But people do like the whole notion of having a hearth, so I would be concerned about proper venting, and you can always use wood substitutes.

As a previous poster said, heat is a big enemy of electronics, and the cause of many computer and audio visual electronic failures.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Justin

Lemme guess. You mounted it above the stove anyway?

post #25 of 29 Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

So I just delayed more haven't done anything yet. The issue is if I out the TV to the side of the fireplace it will be basically impossible to have a decent 5.1 audio setup as the angles are completely messed up. I am really unsure of what to do at this point smile.gif.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Bulldoze, start again.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I just delayed more haven't done anything yet. The issue is if I out the TV to the side of the fireplace it will be basically impossible to have a decent 5.1 audio setup as the angles are completely messed up. I am really unsure of what to do at this point smile.gif.

Yeah, I understand.

I have two options for a place for a TV in the family room. One is above the fireplace, which will face a blank wall, and the other is against the shorter wall which faces a bank of windows. Technically the fireplace is optically better. But no way Jose am I going to put a chunk of electronics over a fireplace. Trust me: 10 years from now we'll look back at those pictures and cringe, the way we do now at (pick one): Mullets, Car Bras, and the guys who pulled their radio out and walked around the mall holding it by the handle.

post #28 of 29 Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hey the boombox on the shoulder is classic smile.gif.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey the boombox on the shoulder is classic smile.gif.

Well I do hold it to my own credit that even at the time I was begging people to not put car bras on their cars. OMG. I can't tell you how many times I've had this conversation:

Me: Why would you want to put that thing on your car?
Other Person: Hey, it protects the paint really well!
Me: Wow. I bet it looks really good under there.

And as far as the radio thing, I just told people quietly: do what you want, but that is just stupid.

I wasn't exactly the nicest of characters around when it comes to things going in and out of vogue.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Tv Above Fireplace

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page