Can you lie an LED-lcd flat? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am thinking about getting a 55" LED-lcd -I can't stand it up in my car, but can lie it flat.
I know that you shouldn't do this with a plasma set, but how about with an LED?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

I am thinking about getting a 55" LED-lcd -I can't stand it up in my car, but can lie it flat.
I know that you shouldn't do this with a plasma set, but how about with an LED?
Thanks

Like any flat panel TV it's not advisable to lay them flat but both plasma and LCD's can be safely transported that way. Just do it with caution. I brought my 50" plasma home in the back of my SUV lying flat with no issues but it's always buyer beware and drive carefully.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
What does the box say? Do you think the box would say not to if it was completely safe? Have people gotten away with laying one down when the box said not to? Yes. Will you? Who knows? Let us know what happens.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
LCDs have a layer of glass under the plastic. If you hit an unexpected pothole or speedbump, it will break. The HDTV will be a total loss with no possibility of exchange or warranty claim.

Or you could make it with no problems. You decide. Personally I think a delivery charge is worth it.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #5 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you shure the layer actually is glass? I doubt it. But Iv'e have been wrong before..
post #6 of 13 Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
55 inchs is big to lay down i think the bigger the screen the more chance of it cracking
just have them bring it to your home. when i got my 32 inch lcd i layed it down
in my trunk and i went home slow but i would never lay something that big down
post #7 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I am sure that there is a layer of very thin glass under there. There are conductive electrical connections masked onto the glass for each pixel on the panel.

Here in the West Coast earthquake zone the stores get a run on new HDTV screens every time we have a medium or large quake. Anything that tips a flat panel onto it's face breaks the glass on an LCD or PDP.

I would never use a large flat panel with the pedastal base it came with here on the West Coast. I always advise either a wall mount or a piece of furniture that mounts the HDTV on a vertical panel. I also use the security bar that cames with many wall mounts - not for security, but so a quake won't bounce the HDTV right off the mount.

Gary McCoy

post #8 of 13 Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Yes, I am sure that there is a layer of very thin glass under there. There are conductive electrical connections masked onto the glass for each pixel on the panel.

Here in the West Coast earthquake zone the stores get a run on new HDTV screens every time we have a medium or large quake. Anything that tips a flat panel onto it's face breaks the glass on an LCD or PDP.

I would never use a large flat panel with the pedastal base it came with here on the West Coast. I always advise either a wall mount or a piece of furniture that mounts the HDTV on a vertical panel. I also use the security bar that cames with many wall mounts - not for security, but so a quake won't bounce the HDTV right off the mount.

Not all of us on the west coast live in a earthquake zone McCoy and I also believe most manuals suggest a guide wire be mounted from the set to the back wall to prevent the set from tipping over.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

Are you shure the layer actually is glass? I doubt it. But Iv'e have been wrong before..

Yes it is actually glass.

The TFT panel that drives the pixels is .7mm thick and since it has to be open on the back to the CCFL or LED light source, there is nothing that supports it in the middle when it is flat, only the edge is supported.

LCD sets have a top layer as well that is normally plastic that if the Color Filter. This is bonded to the TFT back panel and this can become delaminated from the glass as well if it is flexed.

Best advice is not to transport a PDP or LCD flat. Yes some people do it just fine, but it could very easily become a boat anchor by the time you get it home with just one bump. Borrow a vehicle that will allow you to do it right or pay them the fee for delivery.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTguru3 View Post

Not all of us on the west coast live in a earthquake zone McCoy and I also believe most manuals suggest a guide wire be mounted from the set to the back wall to prevent the set from tipping over.

Agreed. You are only a fool if you use the pedastal base without any protection from tipover. I have seen both Velcro straps for the base and adhesive anchors for straps for the HDTV itself, sold as "Earthquake kits".

All of California is an Earthquake zone - as are all of the US West Coast states, because of the active subduction zone along the Cascades volcanoes. Some Californians are closer to faults than are others, is all. But the Pacific plate is rubbing the North American plate all the way from Mexico to Canada and Alaska.

Gary McCoy

post #11 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Agreed. You are only a fool if you use the pedastal base without any protection from tipover. I have seen both Velcro straps for the base and adhesive anchors for straps for the HDTV itself, sold as "Earthquake kits".

All of California is an Earthquake zone - as are all of the US West Coast states, because of the active subduction zone along the Cascades volcanoes. Some Californians are closer to faults than are others, is all. But the Pacific plate is rubbing the North American plate all the way from Mexico to Canada and Alaska.

Installed a piece of manufacturing equipment in Eastern Idaho and it came with seismic tie down plates. The customer said they never had earthquakes there. As I looked out the window there to the North at small cinder cones (small volcanic features) I wondered about that.

Two years later after some activity in Yellowstone park, they installed the tie downs. No place in the West is really immune to earthquakes.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I've seen a bunch of the super thin panels (plasma and LCD) damaged in shipping. They have very little tolerance for being bounced no matter how they are positioned. Laying the panel down flat where it is supported internally by 4 corners is just asking for it if you hit a pothole. The thicker panels are tougher but not immune to damage.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 View Post

I've seen a bunch of the super thin panels (plasma and LCD) damaged in shipping. They have very little tolerance for being bounced no matter how they are positioned. Laying the panel down flat where it is supported internally by 4 corners is just asking for it if you hit a pothole. The thicker panels are tougher but not immune to damage.

Seeing the way some truckers handle their freight it doesn't surprise me panels get damaged in shipping. I bet there's a better chance of it being damaged in shipping than someone cautiously transporting it to their home laying flat for a short distance. One thing I would do is have the package opened before transporting just in case it was cracked before accepting it. Heck I have even opened packages of items that were perfectly fine on the outside only to find it in pieces inside which tells me that sometimes the damaged item is packaged that way. Probably a worker avoiding having to claim to his sup that he damaged an item.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page